Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 12:30:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228021 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  'SLASH' The Album - Reviews
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'SLASH' The Album - Reviews  (Read 52130 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: February 17, 2010, 09:58:38 PM »

I don't know how accurate the review is, but it's the first I've seen.  At the link in French, and a rough translation thanks to LaBellaVita.

MARDI 16 F?VRIER 2010

SLASH - "SLASH", la review !

http://sparkaye.blogspot.com/2010/02/slash-slash-la-review.html

My review track by track :

NOTE : 13/20

01. Ghost (Ian Astbury, feat. Izzy Stradlin) (3:34)

Comparable to Billy Idol or the Cult, with some Velvet Revolver. It is mid-tempo and a perfect opening for the album. The review goes on to say how it?s kind of NewYork/East Coast bluesy, but dirty, comparing it to being at the strip club or something.

02. Crucify The Dead (Ozzy Osbourne) (4:04)

?Epic and Icy?, old school/70s feel but very over produced and arranged, making it very modern at the same time. He calls it a ?power ballad? and timeless, and mentions the blatant influence of Black Sabbath on the song.

03. Beautiful Dangerous (Fergie) (4:35)

Very hip hop, Fergie does her best Christina Aguilera/Pink impression. He refers to (I?m guessing Fergie?s) moaning throughout the track to ?rocket queen?. Very mainstream and obviously aimed to be for black eyed peas fans and mainstream. (Overall the reviewer doesn?t seem to like it too much..)

04. Promised (Chris Cornell) (4: 41)

The reviewer likes it - nostalgic and melancholy..but pop/rock. The reviewer thinks Chris outshines Slash in this piece, perfect for american mainstream, but it?s mature. He doesn?t think the song will have any chance of doing well in France.

05. By The Sword (Andrew Stockdale) (4:50)

The reviewer hates Wolfmother, but the combination of Andrew and Slash is the highlight of the album. Very seventies, compared to deep purple or zeppelin. He comments on how well the song was built, going on to say it was ?Superb. Very good piece.?

06. Gotten (Adam Levine) (5:05)

Acoustic ballad that finishes with a lot of violins and drama. He doesn?t like Adam Levine either, and doesn?t care much for this song and thinks Adam?s singing style isn?t the best for this song, he?d prefer a rougher or ?broken? voice.

07. Doctor Alibi (Lemmy) (3:07)

Good rock n roll with Lemmy of course?the chorus reminds him of ?Doctor Doctor? by UFO.

08. Watch This Dave (Dave Grohl, Duff McKagan) (3:46)

Another strong piece on the album, a cross between metal and progressive rock. ?Heavy, breakable, and destroying?, comparable to ?Slither?(?).

09. I Hold On (Kid Rock) (4:10)

Comparable to Nickelback or Aerosmith, not special to him really?not very original but that?s the market here, typical american.

10. Nothing To Say (M. Shadows) (5:27)

Very avenged-sevenfold, kind of 80s in the beginning, like Iron Maiden, but the sound isn?t powerful. He compares it to a bad ?dream theatre?, and then says the ending is a little Metallica-esque.

11. Starlight (Myles Kennedy) (5:35)

He doesn?t have too much to say, its very pop and blues -- the reviewer also said that the song is heady and addictive.

12. Saint Is A Sinner Too (Rocco De Luca) (3:27)

Acoustic flamenco with a very soft voice and overall just soft... Kind of like Double Talkin Jive?s outro.

13. We're All Gonna Die (Iggy Pop) (4:30)

Great piece for Iggy, very rock n roll. good ending to the album.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:39:33 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 02:15:12 AM »

Sounds like the reviewer doesnt care for much! lol.  and i dont just mean Slash or his songs but all the guest singers and the american market in general

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 03:56:15 AM »

Comparable to Nickelback..

Now that's disturbing.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:28:05 AM »

Now that's disturbing.

The reviewer seems like a bit of a douche though.  But i do think this album will be different.  Its not going to be just 13 tracks with big riffs and solo's.  I think Slash will try to branch out into a few new territories.  There is some pop singers etc, etc.  i think it will have something for everybody.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 06:45:24 AM »

This is going to be a trainwreck of epic proportions.

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »

and your basing that off a french reviewer? hihi
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 08:39:59 AM »

rofl  hehehe!  He sounds like a douche. (reviewer)

Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 12:07:17 PM »

rofl  hehehe!  He sounds like a douche. (reviewer)

And you're basing that off a bellavista translation?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:10:47 PM »

Drives me nuts how people already make their minds up about something before they hear one single note.

Whats funny is, its the same people who bitched about the same thing with CD

so its gotta be one way or the other.. don't be a hypocrite though.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 11:53:21 AM »

Now that's disturbing.

more disturbing is that he said or aerosmith as if you can compare them to nickleback.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 02:18:06 PM »

And you're basing that off a bellavista translation?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but when I said "thanks to LaBellaVita" for the translation...that's a person, it's their username.

11. Starlight (Myles Kennedy) (5:35)

He doesn?t have too much to say, its very pop and blues.

A little more -- the reviewer also said that the song is heady and addictive.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 02:35:04 PM »

not according to that woman up in Boston who is a rock station manager who I cant remember and eddie trunck-they both really liked they heard from it---for some strange reason, I'll take the opinions of a NYer and woman from Boston over the french anyday hihi
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 03:52:51 PM »

I hope it's good, people.

Let's not forget that this man gave us Estranged.

Yes, the quality of his work fell of in 'da Snakepit and VR...but he had a long time to work on this solo disc, and he did it his way.  Fingers crossed for some good music.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 05:16:12 PM »

not according to that woman up in Boston who is a rock station manager who I cant remember and eddie trunck-they both really liked they heard from it---for some strange reason, I'll take the opinions of a NYer and woman from Boston over the french anyday hihi
That'd be Mistress Carrie from WAAF in Boston.

I'm sure the album will at the very least have some good tunes on it.  How could it not, with the lineup of singers/performers?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Judas Fuckin Priest
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 09:18:13 PM »

This seems to be the source of that review, pretty interesting.

To return in the sharp one of the subject, and after some listenings, I would say that roughly speaking this album is a beautiful effort, a beautiful production and there are no faults `?liminatoires'. There is no `surprises' with properly spoken, it acts of Rock' N Roll, sometimes gross, sometimes more sophisticated, but always enjou? and impassioned, Slash clearly has that in blood and one could not reproach him. This said, there are passages a little `commercial', a little less `strong' with an easy inspiration but overall, the man with the top hat leaves himself there rather well. And it makes the things with sincerity. Each song transports us in a different universe, a different sound, to see even a different time? Finally one is not far - in the principle - concept album `Probot' de Dave Grohl, but there it is about rock'n'roll, in the broad sense. This Slash time makes us discover his vision of the `rock': how it is blues, hard rock, metal, pop, progressive, 70ies, punk and sometimes even n?o-metal! Then it is a very heterogeneous album, but the pieces are well produced and rather powerful. Perhaps a little too `propres' on the noise level, but the sound `Appetite for Destruction' is well far, and quasi in-recoverable (dixit Slash himself in its biography `SLASH' published in 2007). All in all, I am rather rather content. It is Rock, unquestionably. There is some waste, it is unequal, but the good pieces are worth the blows!

RATING: 17/20

My review track by track:

01. Ghost (Ian Astbury, feat. Izzy Stradlin) (3: 34) This one is in the Rock'n'roll US FM radio 80's, in Billy Idol, the Cult, with some relents of Velvet Revolver. This piece mid-tempo is perfect for an introduction. We plunged here in a bad telefilm police US standard NYPD blues, at the bottom of a strip club, 3:00 AM, music at bottom?

02. Crucify The Dead (Ozzy Osbourne) (4: 04) Intro super arpeggios melody on bottom of solo `oldschool'. Epic and icy environment in this piece mid-tempo enough overproduced and arranged. It is a `power-ballade' timeless (its and arrangements modern, but atmosphere 70ies, its basic acoustics and the phantom of Black Sabbath which planes on all the piece obviously?)

03. Beautiful Dangerous (Fergie) (4: 35) It begins with Hip Hop/Indus beats, Fergie seems rather sensual, ultra sexy. Then it gets worse? Chorus too `mainstream', one has an impression of Christina Aguilera which makes rock'n'roll or bad Pink. Small disappointment. I preferred the intro enough `sex' and the moanings, quasi-inaudible, on the solo, certainly referring to those of `Rocket queen'? Even if total environment is original and interesting, the song is well formatted and likes, without any doubt, with the teenager fan of Black Eyed Peas and of rock'n'roll to the radio.

04. Promised (Chris Cornell) (4: 41) Another power ballade. But this time I like it. The arpeggios saturated with the topic put immediately in environment, melancholic person and a nostalgic bit. One is in radio operator formatted pop-rock'n'roll still, but of good invoice! Kind the first 2 albums of Chris Cornell in solo (very correct) or the first 3 Audioslave. Moreover the leg of Cornell is more outstanding than that of Slash in this song (except the solo of course). Perfect for the US market, more adult than the precedent, catchy chorus but no chance in France.

05. By The Sword (Andrew Stockdale) (4: 50) Then I hate Wolfmother, but there I must admit that the combination Andrew Stockdale/Slash offers the top of the album to us! For the blow one makes a jump in the Seventies, directly in the line of Led Zeppelin/Deep Purple. The song is well built, it breathes the 70ies with full nose, the refrain is a slaughter, the agreements of Slash puent the rock'n'roll! The voice of Stockdale - well that very stereotyped really the piece carries, and is used as springboard with the flights of Slash. The solo `liquid whah-wah' of the bridge is superb. Very good piece.

06. Gotten (Adam Levine) (5: 05) New acoustic ballade/guitar its light which finishes in fireworks of violins and `guimauve'. Me I am not fan of Adam Levine, I have the impression to hear Maroon 5, and they is not glorious. Damage, it is not the ballade of the century but it is rather not badly, a voice more raucous or broken would have made the deal perhaps better. But it is also necessary to maintain its relations vicinity on the side of West Hollywood and Beverly Hills?

07. Doctor Alibi (Lemmy) (3: 07) Rock' N Roll! With Lemmy in any event it n' there the choice does not have. Ca p?te! the refrain would almost make me think of ' Doctor Docteur' of UFO. Good Rock'n'roll with l' old.

08. Watch This Dave (Dave Grohl, Duff McKagan) (3: 46) Pieces instrumental which cases! Between metal and progressive rock'n'roll, I m' waited that at all. Ca sends severe during almost 4 minutes. Fronts - heavy, breakable and destroying are really effective (one would say almost the `Slither' to the idle). Similar for the solos, and the station-wagon ' claire' medium points out almost Guns to me n' Pinks of the good old day. One of the moments strong of the album.

09. I Hold One (Kid Rock) (4: 10) US rock'n'roll, pop FM, in the line of Nickelback, Aerosmith. Not especially my cam, not hyper original but there low it goes. Typically gone US.

10. Nothing To Say (Mr. Shadows) (5: 27) Piece speed-n?o-metal, in the line of the group of Mr. Shadows (Avenged Sevenfold)? j' there do not see too d' interest? that begins enough hard rock 80ies, limit like a front of Iron Maiden, but the sound is oddly not very powerful. The remainder transfers in traditional n?o-metal in Avenged Sevenfold, sometimes I have even the impression to hear bad Dream Theater. Too much hollow and wrongfully speed, end - `Metallicesque'-catches up with a little the piece.

11. Starlight (Myles Kennedy) (5: 35) Piece heavy Pop, blues and enjou?. The refrain is effective. Ca changes well remainder of the album and it is very coloured, hot and ent?tant.

12. Saint Has Sinner Too (Rocco De Luca) (3: 27) Piece interlude/UFO: acoustic guitar + a soft ultra voice and synth?s arrangements software? the whole in the form of ballade `flamenco' They is soft, very melancholic person and stripped. The solo of guitar resembles a solo of classical music. The environment of the piece is between `Private investigation' Knopfler Mark, `Misty Mountain hop' of Led Zep and the end of `Double Talkin' Jive' de Gn' R.

13. We' Re All Gonna Die (Iggy Pop) (4: 30) Whore of good front, ideal for Iggy. Us revoila in the register Rock'n'roll, gross and effective. Iggy is done insolate as with Stooges and crooners on the sung parts? Chorus hyper gun and effective! Ideal to conclude the album.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:21:33 PM by Judas Fuckin Priest » Logged
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 10:05:55 PM »

This seems to be the source of that review, pretty interesting.

I don't think it's the source, but a more thorough translation.  In the other translation she was paraphrasing.

Interesting, and thanks for posting.  So this one came from Sludge without a link.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 10:44:51 PM »

The original reviewer is asked about the difference in ratings (he gives it 13/20), he says...

Anonyme a dit?
on most forums I found your review with a 17/20 while here I saw a 13/20...what's right? and why eventually you changed your mind?

Spark a dit?
i never put my review on any forum personnaly.
My mark is 13/20 (maybe 14/20 now, with more listening) !
but, once again, its subjective.
Honeslty 2,4,5,6,7,8,11,12,13 are awesome.

His profile says he's a music journalist...

http://www.blogger.com/profile/10670952136538552211

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 11:08:11 PM »

The original reviewer is asked about the difference in ratings (he gives it 13/20), he says...

Anonyme a dit…
on most forums I found your review with a 17/20 while here I saw a 13/20...what's right? and why eventually you changed your mind?

Spark a dit…
i never put my review on any forum personnaly.
My mark is 13/20 (maybe 14/20 now, with more listening) !
but, once again, its subjective.
Honeslty 2,4,5,6,7,8,11,12,13 are awesome.

His profile says he's a music journalist...

http://www.blogger.com/profile/10670952136538552211

The guy seems like a pretty harsh reviewer.  He thinks NINE songs are awesome and he only gives it a 13/20?  He must have high expectations for albums. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 11:42:20 PM »

Sounds like he is being critical just to be critical.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 11:45:01 PM »

Sounds like he is being critical just to be critical.
Yeah but meanwhile he's saying NINE songs are awesome.  I don't know about you, but any album that I find NINE awesome songs on would score way higher than 13/20.  His scoring system seems a little off, one way or the other.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: