Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 01:19:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  'SLASH' The Album - Reviews
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'SLASH' The Album - Reviews  (Read 51655 times)
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2010, 02:26:31 PM »

I found an instrumental of BD on piratebay
JAC185
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2010, 06:42:16 PM »

In Santana style, each track has a guest vocalist, some of which work really well (Stockdale, Ian Astbury, Chris Cornell, Dave Grohl) while others stumble a bit (Fergie, Myles Kennedy).

Personally I liked Myles' vocal alot more than I liked Dave Grohls.
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2010, 06:43:59 AM »

Slash: Slash

Published: May 8 2010 01:51

The curtain of hair sways, the top hat tips back rakishly, mirrored shades gleam, clouds of cigarette smoke puff as the factory chimneys once did in his native Stoke-on-Trent ? why, it?s heavy metal?s coolest axe hero Slash, stirring himself to make his first solo album.

But the Guns ?n? Roses guitarist turns out to be on disappointingly dull form, laying down torpid riffs as a succession of celebrity vocalists fail to match the whiny edge of his old foil Axl Rose. Motorhead?s Lemmy sounds old and weary on ?Doctor Alibi?, Ozzy Osbourne sings like someone slowly reading an autocue on ?Crucify the Dead? and Iggy Pop makes poor use of his rhyming dictionary on ?We?re All Gonna Die? (?Gee I really like your tits/I?ll say anything that fits?). It?s like a Sunset Strip retirement home for decrepit rockers.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6c6f1730-5803-11df-9eaf-00144feab49a.html

OUCH!
Lady Ashba
Rocker

Nice boys... & girls!

« Reply #183 on: May 08, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »

Damn Undecided I take it they didn't like the album!
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2010, 07:39:36 PM »

The curtain of hair sways, the top hat tips back rakishly, mirrored shades gleam, clouds of cigarette smoke puff as the factory chimneys once did in his native Stoke-on-Trent ? why, it?s heavy metal?s coolest axe hero Slash, stirring himself to make his first solo album.

But the Guns ?n? Roses guitarist turns out to be on disappointingly dull form, laying down torpid riffs as a succession of celebrity vocalists fail to match the whiny edge of his old foil Axl Rose. Motorhead?s Lemmy sounds old and weary on ?Doctor Alibi?, Ozzy Osbourne sings like someone slowly reading an autocue on ?Crucify the Dead? and Iggy Pop makes poor use of his rhyming dictionary on ?We?re All Gonna Die? (?Gee I really like your tits/I?ll say anything that fits?). It?s like a Sunset Strip retirement home for decrepit rockers.

OUCH!

it's true in a way. none of them will ever match Axl's "whiny edge". but it's still a damn good album! I like most the songs.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #185 on: May 09, 2010, 09:49:56 AM »

OUCH!

it's true in a way. none of them will ever match Axl's "whiny edge". but it's still a damn good album! I like most the songs.

Personally, I find Slash's album quite underwhelming. None of the songs has left a long-term impact on me.

To me, the album has only confirmed how important Axl always was in taking ideas and making everlasting gems out of them. Without his contribution, Slash ends up with some nice riffs and some choppy bits that dont quite gel into great songs.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2010, 01:37:59 PM »

I love Starlight, maybe the the best song on the album.  Cool intro, good chorus, awesome solo, very nice!

Ghost
Gotten
Back from Cali
Promises
Starlight
By the Sword
I'll Hold On
Mother Maria

are all VERY strong tracks to my ears.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2010, 05:35:31 PM »

I am not trying to discredit Axl in any way but I really like the Slash album. My fav is Back from Cali but I also like Ghost and for some reason I really like Gotten. Several of these tracks are receiving air play now.

lol, in what way would that discredit axl? rofl
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2010, 07:06:14 PM »

I am not trying to discredit Axl in any way but I really like the Slash album. My fav is Back from Cali but I also like Ghost and for some reason I really like Gotten. Several of these tracks are receiving air play now.

lol, in what way would that discredit axl? rofl

Anything can be twisted to mean anything....

Lips Sealed

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #189 on: May 12, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »

OUCH!

That's a load of bullshit.

THose are the 3 best songs on the album. The guy doing the review probably has never heard Lemmy, his vocals are rough, and it may sound old, because duh he's getting old, but that's the point of the song which is my favorite because I can relate to it after going to the doctors, the doctor makes a funny face like iM gonna die and then I go to see a shaman and makes everything cool.

FUCK YOU DOCTORS, YOU KNOW SHIT   hihi

AS FOR the Iggy Pop tune, that's gotta be one of the most rocking songs he's ever done in recent years, the lyrics are ironic and devious as always.

And Ozzy? he sounds like he did 40 years ago !

Im not that big of a fan of the record.. I mean fergie... kid rock... adam levine ? wtf?!
But the rock gods delivered, big time !

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2010, 10:28:05 AM »

OUCH!

That's a load of bullshit.

THose are the 3 best songs on the album. The guy doing the review probably has never heard Lemmy, his vocals are rough, and it may sound old, because duh he's getting old, but that's the point of the song which is my favorite because I can relate to it after going to the doctors, the doctor makes a funny face like iM gonna die and then I go to see a shaman and makes everything cool.

FUCK YOU DOCTORS, YOU KNOW SHIT   hihi

AS FOR the Iggy Pop tune, that's gotta be one of the most rocking songs he's ever done in recent years, the lyrics are ironic and devious as always.

And Ozzy? he sounds like he did 40 years ago !

Im not that big of a fan of the record.. I mean fergie... kid rock... adam levine ? wtf?!
But the rock gods delivered, big time !

Yeah, I would agree with this too - I'm not in love with the album by any means, BUT I thought Ozzy sounded incredible on that song - very much like his old self
Lemmy rocks the shit out of that song as well - I think it's one of the more enjoyable ones on the album

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2010, 02:26:51 PM »

OUCH!

Personally, I find Slash's album quite underwhelming. None of the songs has left a long-term impact on me.

To me, the album has only confirmed how important Axl always was in taking ideas and making everlasting gems out of them. Without his contribution, Slash ends up with some nice riffs and some choppy bits that dont quite gel into great songs.

well, to be fair, axl didn't have too many everlasting gems off CD so they are even hihi
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2010, 03:03:42 PM »

OUCH!

well, to be fair, axl didn't have too many everlasting gems off CD so they are even hihi

well, that assessment is subjective for each individual.

I know that I keep going back to Chinese Democracy almost 1 and a half years after its release but Slash's album couldnt hold my interest for even a month.
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »

Slash's album couldnt hold my interest for even a month.

Then why are you posting reviews and inquiring about sales on the other thread? If you have no interest.
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #194 on: May 14, 2010, 07:52:02 AM »

Then why are you posting reviews and inquiring about sales on the other thread? If you have no interest.

why not? I didnt like the songs too much bit Im certainly interested in how the album's doing. why is that a problem?

I remember a thread on MyGNR forum suggesting that Slash's album would be "album of the year" when it drops. I find it ironic to match reality to fantasy. 

HTGTH might or might not have people with the same views. either way, Im perfectly entitled to post reviews in this thread and inquiries about sales in the other thread.   

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2010, 10:52:24 AM »

why not? I didnt like the songs too much bit Im certainly interested in how the album's doing. why is that a problem?

I remember a thread on MyGNR forum suggesting that Slash's album would be "album of the year" when it drops. I find it ironic to match reality to fantasy. 

HTGTH might or might not have people with the same views. either way, Im perfectly entitled to post reviews in this thread and inquiries about sales in the other thread.   

I remember people saying Slash's album would dwarf another certain album because of all the star power involved.  I never bought into that line of thinking, and not that it really matters.  But I see where you're coming from.  Same thing happened with that other certain album to an extent.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2010, 06:09:39 AM »

I don't think there's much point in comparing the two. They set out to do two completely different things. For me, they're kinda even. Slash's album was better than I thought it might be, while "that other certain album" (? faldor) wasn't quite as awesome as I'd hoped (thatsjustmyopinionpleasedon'tkillme). They should be enjoyed for different reasons. Overall, Slash's album was mostly done as a fun thing.

BTW, wasn't there a thread titled "your reviews" here somewhere?

rabia
Rocker

« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2010, 07:42:14 AM »

I don't think there's much point in comparing the two. They set out to do two completely different things. For me, they're kinda even. Slash's album was better than I thought it might be, while "that other certain album" (? faldor) wasn't quite as awesome as I'd hoped (thatsjustmyopinionpleasedon'tkillme). They should be enjoyed for different reasons. Overall, Slash's album was mostly done as a fun thing.

BTW, wasn't there a thread titled "your reviews" here somewhere?

Well, Slash's wife Perla herself invited the comparison when she tweeted about how Slash's album is great and "didnt even take 17 years to make". If youre going to go that route, you cant complain when the comparison becomes somewhat unflattering to you.

I always find it amusing, this "it was done just for fun" idea. that seems to be Slash's stated rationale for everything- from the Paradise City debacle with Fergie and Cypress Hill to this entire album. However, when you have a song like Crucify The Dead on the same album, the whole exercise becomes a lot more pointed and the "just for fun" line becomes unconvincing.

as for my review, I was posting official ones here but responded to other posters giving their reviews. i imagine that responding to other posters' posts is a rather conventional practice.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:48:01 AM by rabia » Logged
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2010, 08:52:09 AM »

Well, Slash's wife Perla herself invited the comparison when she tweeted about how Slash's album is great and "didnt even take 17 years to make". If youre going to go that route, you cant complain when the comparison becomes somewhat unflattering to you.

But musically, they're two different things. It's like trying to compare an AC/DC album with a Pink Floyd album. They're not trying to do the same thing, and I like both of them for different reasons. CD is more focused, since it's the same band (mostly) playing throughout, while Slash's album feels more loose, with all these different singers with different approaches on each song.

I always find it amusing, this "it was done just for fun" idea. that seems to be Slash's stated rationale for everything- from the Paradise City debacle with Fergie and Cypress Hill to this entire album. However, when you have a song like Crucify The Dead on the same album, the whole exercise becomes a lot more pointed and the "just for fun" line becomes unconvincing.

The overall feel of the album is 'fun' I think. It sounds like Slash playing with various singers and seeing what they come up with. He's not trying to record a masterpeice or anything, just jamming with different folks. As for Crucify The Dead, I think it was Ozzy who wrote the lyrics, and he's said that they're about various people, not just Axl and Slash's relationship.

as for my review, I was posting official ones here but responded to other posters giving their reviews. i imagine that responding to other posters' posts is a rather conventional practice.

That wasn't directed at anyone really, I just noticed no one had posted anything there for a while, and most opinions had ended up here. No biggie.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #199 on: May 20, 2010, 08:00:20 PM »

Ive listened to Crucify the Dead 50 times and never once did i make any connection to Axl. Ozzy was in Black Sabbath so maybe he is talking about Iommi or hell who knows.

U can't compare the two albums either. One album was really labored over and crafted to be the masterpiece it is. Slash spent a few months gathering up some buddies and throwing down.

Plus where Slash has to depend on other singers, the fact the songs are as good as they are is remarkable, cause i figured a lot of those would give Slash some B Side throwaway type material.

If we are going on pure riffage though, Ghost, By The Sword, Promise and Nothing To Say guitar wise are better imo.

Solo wise, nothing on here tops Bucket's There Was A time solo.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: