Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 09:26:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228016 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Confirms Corey Taylor VR Singer Rumor...No Decision
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Confirms Corey Taylor VR Singer Rumor...No Decision  (Read 23873 times)
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »

Let's be real. Baz' Angel Down CD is better than Libertad and not far off Contraband.

I don't know, I thought they butchered Back in the Saddle.
Baz can sing with the best of em, but I don't care for his lyrics these days.
I agree though, if you want to be successful today in rock music, you have to be horrible, so I agree they shouldn't worry so much about success, easy for us to say.

The end of VR gives them the opportunity to drop Kushner and get Izzy back in the fold. Wishful thinking anyway.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2011, 04:47:39 PM »

i kinda think they should get Baz

I kinda think I'd puke... Wink

Beyond that...

Their legacies are all secure, they all seem busy and more importantly happy doing their own things musically without dealing with someone who has frontman disease.

Well, maybe not Kushner...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2011, 05:12:46 PM »

U think Sebastian would be tough to deal with these days?

problem is, all great frontmen have lead singers disease.

Myles is a major exception.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2011, 07:09:14 PM »

U think Sebastian would be tough to deal with these days?

Who knows really D although I think his high rpm personality would be grating for any amount of time. I really don't think anyone takes him serious anyway, dude's just not viable on todays musical landscape beyond a retro act.

problem is, all great frontmen have lead singers disease.

Just depends on who is determining "great" I suppose, all seem to have their eccentricities with few worth the issues that come along with it.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »

The latest from Duff:

March 09, 2011

BW: I interviewed Matt Sorum recently and was talking about the possibility that 2011 is the year that Velvet Revolver will get back together. Has there been any progress in finding a new singer and getting the Velvet Revolver machine running again?

Duff McKagan: ?I think there?s unfinished business and we haven?t been able to make our best record yet.?

BW: The first one was pretty damn good?

Duff McKagan: ?The first one was good ? yes, but I think there?s this great raw record somewhere in there that we haven?t made yet. Having been around as long as I?ve been, I know things are supposed to happen when they?re supposed to happen. Matt, Slash and I getting together for the first time in 2003 after having not played together in anger for nine years or something like that. I didn?t have plans on us getting together and playing back then. So, you never know what?s going to happen and I just don?t play the guessing game anymore especially in the press and even for my own well-being. I just do the work that is in front of me.

I kinda think I'd puke... Wink

I kinda think you're serious. hihi

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
eddiesson
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2011, 03:13:36 AM »

it's impossible to understand what Slash really wants. An exceptional singer who is okay staying behind Slash? Well, it's the greed that destroyed many GREAT guitarists and their bands, maybe except Eddie Van Halen (because he had found another great frontman without knowing it) And let's face it, Slash is no Eddie Van Halen who singlehandedly defined the future of rock music and guitar playing.

Just hire another great frontman and compose some songs damit. First Velvet revolver album was not revolutionary (which recent rock album was anyway? don't tell me Chinese Democracy) but it was great. I would be more than happy with such another album.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2011, 05:20:38 AM »

it's impossible to understand what Slash really wants. An exceptional singer who is okay staying behind Slash? Well, it's the greed that destroyed many GREAT guitarists and their bands, maybe except Eddie Van Halen (because he had found another great frontman without knowing it) And let's face it, Slash is no Eddie Van Halen who singlehandedly defined the future of rock music and guitar playing.

Just hire another great frontman and compose some songs damit. First Velvet revolver album was not revolutionary (which recent rock album was anyway? don't tell me Chinese Democracy) but it was great. I would be more than happy with such another album.

WHAT? He didn't?  Eddie gave birth to a bunch of fast tapping robotic emotionless shit guitarists while Slash's guitar melodies are better than 99 percent of vocal melodies.

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2011, 06:18:43 AM »

I fully agree. Tapping is so over used it's like a disease.

Fuck 'Em All.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2011, 01:43:17 PM »

WHAT? He didn't?  Eddie gave birth to a bunch of fast tapping robotic emotionless shit guitarists while Slash's guitar melodies are better than 99 percent of vocal melodies.
I "like" slash more than eddie, but Eddie pushed rock guitar in a new direction... Slash doesn't do anything "new" on the guitar, but what he does is awesome.  Slash is a 70's style player with more modern chops.. Eddie helped define what would become the 80's style.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:46:01 PM by Smoking Guns » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »

Eddie gave birth to EVERY guitar player who came after him not just the emotionless ones.  Including Slash.   

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2011, 03:10:16 PM »

I wasn't calling Eddie "Emotionless" just a lot of guys who try to rip his style dont' do it very well.

Slash has never tapped. Said he didn't want to try and emulate Eddie's thing. Slash is more Page,hendrix,Perry clone imo.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »

I wasn't calling Eddie "Emotionless" just a lot of guys who try to rip his style dont' do it very well.

Slash has never tapped. Said he didn't want to try and emulate Eddie's thing. Slash is more Page,hendrix,Perry clone imo.

i have to find this interview with Slash where he says everyone "tapped into" Van Halens style after Van Halen came out.  He was a huge influence on Slash.  I can't find it on youtube and dont remember what he was talking about.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »

i have to find this interview with Slash where he says everyone "tapped into" Van Halens style after Van Halen came out.  He was a huge influence on Slash.  I can't find it on youtube and dont remember what he was talking about.

A lot of Eddie when he plays the Mocking Bird, that is where you hear some Eddie in Slash (whammy abuse).  Other than that, not really anything similar in their styles... Slash does a lot of tremelo picking, like Eddie does.  But just because he doesn't play like Eddie, doesn't mean he wasn't a huge influence.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »

Slash is Angus, Mick Taylor, Page, Joe Perry, and a dash of Hendrix but with more modern chops, speed and accuracy.  But when compared to the guys from the 80's, Slash's style is more primitive, but just as good and equally effective.  I hear David Gilmore and Creme era Clapton and even some Gary Moore in Slash's style.  He loves Hendrix, but other than "The Last Fight", you don't here much Hendrix in Slash, except maybe his use of the Wah pedal.  Michael Schenker is another huge influence to Slash. 
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2011, 08:22:50 PM »

Hmm well that doesn't sound like hes saying van halen was a huge influence. in his book he specifically said that EDDIE influenced every one, but Slash was more interested in Van Halen the BAND - like as a band. he said he wasn't into all that virtuso shredding stuff, and basically outright implies that he doesn't consider eddie an influence.

and you can hear it in his playing, he sounds nothing like eddie; you can't even hear an influence. I agree with D/Smoking Guns 100%
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2011, 07:42:33 PM »

Slash ain't the clone of no one. he has like any other musician learned what he wanted from the people he wanted and developed his playing by himself, like every/most other musician(s). it's just that Slash has done this better than pretty much anyone else.
so what Eddie did the tapping? people did it before him, he didn't invent it, but he perfected it. just like Slash perfected what he's doing.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: