Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 04:50:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Does Guns only exist now for nostalgic purposes?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Guns only exist now for nostalgic purposes?  (Read 17501 times)
Stoned_In_L.A.
Headliner

« on: August 08, 2011, 05:18:50 PM »

If you think about it, it's been a long time since we've known for sure that Axl was actively recording new material. Ever since the release of Democracy, Axl has publically expressed little, if any, interest in completing future albums.

It's not uncommon for 70s, 80s, or 90s bands to exist soley for nostalgic touring purposes these days. Every few years, tour the hits, make some cash, and then disappear until the next tour. Has Guns become one of these bands?
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:21:38 PM »

Many of the members of the band have indicated new material as being done, and soon to be worked on... Do not think that GNR is one of 'those' bands
Stoned_In_L.A.
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:38:04 PM »

Many of the members of the band have indicated new material as being done, and soon to be worked on... Do not think that GNR is one of 'those' bands

How can it be "done", but "soon to be worked on"?

Regarding anything that may be done, wasn't the bulk of that material recorded 10 years ago?

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 05:48:09 PM »

Regarding anything that may be done, wasn't the bulk of that material recorded 10 years ago?

Any material that may be done, or nearly done, or whatever is likely from the Chinese Democracy sessions.  That music is new to us, so I don't see why it matters if it was originally written 10 years ago.  There were songs from UYI that were written and even performed live 5-6 years before being officially released. 

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »

Axl has publically expressed little, if any, interest in completing future albums.

How does this prove anything?

Just because he isn't talking about future material, doesn't mean there's no hopes/wishes/plans.

In case you forgot, the band hasn't toured the US yet since the album was released.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »

If GNR was only for nostalgic purposes, there would have been no need for the Azoff lawsuit.  Now if we can get the label to see beyond the back catalog........

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:54:15 PM »

I think you're just looking for trouble here....

There are songs that are done, and there are plans to write new material (Per DJ Ashba)
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:57:17 AM »

If you think about it, it's been a long time since we've known for sure that Axl was actively recording new material. Ever since the release of Democracy, Axl has publically expressed little, if any, interest in completing future albums.

It's not uncommon for 70s, 80s, or 90s bands to exist soley for nostalgic touring purposes these days. Every few years, tour the hits, make some cash, and then disappear until the next tour. Has Guns become one of these bands?

If they were a nostalgia act, they wouldn't tour on CD. Have you seen the set lists of the last tour? Full of CD songs. Which is great and clearly shows they wanted to defend their last offering of studio material, and not cashing on the old songs!

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 06:55:29 AM »

This thread was definitly created by a troll. 

I personally think Axl and the band would be happy to release/make more music but certain obstacles in the background seem to make it impossible at times.  They toured quite a bit before CD was released, but then when it was released a year passed before they toured and the album wasnt promoted at all.... really bizzare stuff. 

With the money spent on the album, the touring before the album was out, the lack of promotion, the greatest hits album etc and the Azoff case... it leads to me believe that lots of agenda's and fallings out in the background took place.  Sad really.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »

guns never broke up
they just dont give a shit about being commercial so theres no silly buy this buy that thing going on. or a pressure of touring
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:54:48 AM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Street of the Blues
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »

Well, with no new music on the horizon...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »

Isn't the ultimate nostalgic purpose that reunion? The one that some of you are dreaming about instead of living in the present....

And I bet you'd be first in line to buy tickets to some kind of reunion show with absolutely no new music on the horizon.

Kinda ironic isn't it?

Basically everything some of you attack the band for today has happened in the past, and/or you wouldn't mind if it was a different line up of the band.

The Use Your Illusion tour was two years with no new material released during it. They played many markets multiple times. Shows didn't end before 11pm. The setlits didn't always change. The production didn't change a lot. Band members were replaced. Backing musicians were added/removed.

I guess some of you were upset and yelling on the streets about how it sucked to have yet another leg of the tour with no new album out, how the setlist was the same and the shows started late. I'm sure most of you weren't posting these "honest opinions" on the Internet back then (unless you were using something like Usenet, mailing lists etc.), so yelling might've been your only option to get that attention you crave...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 05:44:29 PM »

I still want to hear the other CD era album.  Wasn't Axl working on, what, 32 songs as of 2006?  What happened to the other 18 songs that weren't on CD?  Huh

Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 09:49:54 AM »

Isn't the ultimate nostalgic purpose that reunion? The one that some of you are dreaming about instead of living in the present....

And I bet you'd be first in line to buy tickets to some kind of reunion show with absolutely no new music on the horizon.

Kinda ironic isn't it?

Basically everything some of you attack the band for today has happened in the past, and/or you wouldn't mind if it was a different line up of the band.

The Use Your Illusion tour was two years with no new material released during it. They played many markets multiple times. Shows didn't end before 11pm. The setlits didn't always change. The production didn't change a lot. Band members were replaced. Backing musicians were added/removed.

I guess some of you were upset and yelling on the streets about how it sucked to have yet another leg of the tour with no new album out, how the setlist was the same and the shows started late. I'm sure most of you weren't posting these "honest opinions" on the Internet back then (unless you were using something like Usenet, mailing lists etc.), so yelling might've been your only option to get that attention you crave...

/jarmo

The Use Your Illusion tour had 2 album releases at the same time before! Don't see how you can compare it bro...

Oh My God i cant deny this...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »

I remember. I even saw them before those albums were out.

Wonder if people were whining about it....

It doesn't change the fact that they toured for almost two years without breaks with no new material released during the tour.

/jarmo

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »

How could GN'R be around for nostalgic purposes when they are doing the exact opposite thing that fans of "nostalgia" would want?  They are putting out completely different sounding music with a completely different line-up. 

You want an example of a nostalgia act?  Look no further than this summers Motley Crue/Poison tour.  Those bands hate each other but did a tour together for the money.  Vince Neil squeezes into his leather pants everynight and fist bumps Tommy on stage, meanwhile that is the most contact they have without lawyers present.  The whole thing is a sham.  They have no interest in creating NEW art or pushing the envelope.  Vince treats Motley as a business and signs contracts to lend his services to them for months at a time so Motley Crue can make money.  They are selling the same show they sold in the 1980's.  Im not sure how you can compare modern day GNR to that. 

If GNR were here for nostalgia purposes, you would see Slash, Duff, Steven, and Izzy back in the band and they would have been on tour with Motley Crue this past summer.  GNR is on to a whole different thing now. 
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 03:34:57 PM »

OMG what a unnecessary thread.... Roll Eyes

Would the live-setlist include so many CD songs if Gn'R was a nostalgic band?

Would Bumblefoot, Fortus, Ashba, Stinson and the rest stick around to be a cover-band? No, they are real artists with an urge to create....

Is this thread all made up for the purpose of the same discussion many other threads are turning into; a couple of people with a "New Guns ain't as good as it was back in the day"- mouth diarrhea vs. the people who think the Gn'R-evolution is a good thing?

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 07:18:54 AM »

answer would be "no" but like almost any other "older" band there will always be some nostalgic touch to it.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 02:40:18 PM »

I personally don't give a shit what they play ever.... as long as my favorite band is touring and bringing music to the table, past or present catalog I am on cloud nine, what a damn silly topic this is Shocked).

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 03:04:41 PM »

Axl doesn't strike me as the type to tour for nostalgic reasons.
If anything it seems he'd like to forget about the past. When recording the Illusions he talked about topping Appetite, and I'm sure his motivations were similar with Chinese Democracy. I won't pretend that I come anywhere near comprehending the lack of output since '93, but I'm sure it will be a fascinating story if we ever get the pleasure of hearing it.

As others have pointed out, Nostalgia acts setlists aren't loaded with songs off of their latest release.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: