Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 04:25:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228016 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Estranged Studio Version by 2011 Line Up - How Cool Would This Be?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Estranged Studio Version by 2011 Line Up - How Cool Would This Be?  (Read 8814 times)
BumbleBuzz
Rocker

Guns N' Roses Strong Since 1999!

« on: October 10, 2011, 06:56:00 AM »

I got thinking the other day that the band did such an amazing job performing Estranged live for the first time in 18 years that it would be great to see them record a studio version and release it as a single to help promote the US tour? Certainly the soundboard alone from Rock in Rio would have been recorded, they could polish that a little (you know the usual Live record polishing) and release it?

Also, Axl sang "I'm only 28 and much too young to let love break my heart" - do you reckon he should update it to match his age this year peace

2006.06.09 - Dublin, Ireland
2006.07.29 - London, England
2010.09.01 - Dublin, Ireland
2012.05.17 - Dublin, Ireland
2012.05.23 - Newcastle, England
2017.07.17 - London, England
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 07:05:04 AM »

Would not be cool! It's a song on Use Your Illusion 2... Why make a different version. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 08:50:01 AM »

I'd really love to hear them play it, but that's as far as it goes. There's no need to re-record a classic. Especially not when there's so much of those guys' own material to get out.
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:06:31 AM »

bad idea..cool that they R' playin' it...
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 09:24:08 AM »

Not very.
It's one of the greatest songs ever recorded in my opinion. Leave it be.

I'm sure they'd rather focus on their own material, anyway.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 10:22:51 AM »

I think it would be awesome, I am a big fan of when bands re-record their hits with a modern touch.  Nobody is saying to replace the old version of "Estranged", but whats wrong with another version to listen to?  People act like if you re-record a song you will ruin the old one and never be able to listen to it ever ever again!!!  I've been dying to hear the re-recorded "Appetite" since 1999 when it was first mentioned.  I thought the end of "Sweet Child" in Big Daddy was great!

However releasing it as a single for promotion I am not a fan of.  I think it should be a free download for fans, just something fun to do. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:30:41 AM by Bodhi » Logged
richwoman
VIP

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 10:26:30 AM »

Don`t think so, it`s great to hear it live but you should always move forward never go back new material is the way to go peace
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 10:44:30 AM »

I got thinking the other day that the band did such an amazing job performing Estranged live for the first time in 18 years that it would be great to see them record a studio version and release it as a single to help promote the US tour? Certainly the soundboard alone from Rock in Rio would have been recorded, they could polish that a little (you know the usual Live record polishing) and release it?

Also, Axl sang "I'm only 28 and much too young to let love break my heart" - do you reckon he should update it to match his age this year peace

I was thinking about that right after Rio. I love the fact that GN'R is playing it again, they are doing a great job. Mr Dizzy Reed on the keys, Ron & DJ trading guitar melodies, etc.

I would love to hear a 2011 take on the song. Would be a perfect epic 2-piece single coupled with TWAT.

About the age thing, I wouldn't change it - It's all about the time and place that he was when he felt that IMO. People understand that  Wink

Like previous poster, not saying that the UYI II track needs it. Just that I love what I feel when hearing the 2011 live version. And it's my all time GN'R favorite.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
sworrm
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 11:51:03 AM »

waste of time i reckon
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »

If this group of guys gets anywhere close to a studio we need to hope it's about making new music.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jamesdm
Rocker

Lizard King - The One

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 12:26:55 PM »

If this group of guys gets anywhere close to a studio we need to hope it's about making new music.

Exactly why to re-record somthing that was already epic? I prefer that they make new sons and maybe a couple epic or great one's.
big_machine
Rocker

DON`T SAY BAD WORDS

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 01:05:28 PM »

NEW VERSION OF ESTRANGED = NOT COOL AT ALL   (That`s for shitty bands) no GUNS N ROSES

NEW SONG OR ALBUM  = SUPER COOL
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »

It's really a POOR IDEA to say the least!!!! Estranged is old school GNR with Slash creating great guitar riffs for it. Leave it be!!!! Let the guys create new classic and epic songs.
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »

Not something I'd want to see. I'm thrilled they're playing it live, but there's no need to redo it.

I'd rather hear new songs/unreleased songs, or covers of non-GN'R songs (like Riff Raff).
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 09:20:26 AM »

awful idea for so many reasons. 

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 10:39:26 AM »

wow you guys really got your panties in a bunch over this...where is the harm in it?  It would be fun.  I dont understand this "leave it alone" nonsense, nobody is doing anything to "it"!  Its not like we are going to hunt down all the copies of UYI 2 and replace it with a newer version!  Geez, lighten up people.  I would be curious to hear it, especiallly since I prefer the studio version of "Sweet Child" in '99 more than the one from 87' in SOME ways.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 10:43:28 AM »

wow you guys really got your panties in a bunch over this...where is the harm in it?  It would be fun.  I dont understand this "leave it alone" nonsense, nobody is doing anything to "it"!  Its not like we are going to hunt down all the copies of UYI 2 and replace it with a newer version!  Geez, lighten up people.  I would be curious to hear it, especiallly since I prefer the studio version of "Sweet Child" in '99 more than the one from 87' in SOME ways.

I don't think there's any harm, some of the people here just think it would be pretty pointless.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »

I don't think there's any harm, some of the people here just think it would be pretty pointless.

yeah I think that depends on the person though, nobody said there has to be a point to it, just a fun thing for the fans..
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 12:13:30 PM »

Haha, I hear you. I guess I wouldn't consider it a crime.
I can understand why someone would want to hear it. I'm personally just not interested.
I don't think it can be improved upon. I listened to the UYI II and Live Era versions all day to erase the recent Rio version from my memory.

It won't help them escape Slash's shadow any.

Honestly, we've heard exactly one studio album of original material from Guns N' Roses in the past 20 years.
They aren't exactly the model of productivity. If they happen to find themselves in a recording studio anytime soon, you would think original material would be the primary focus. Let the new guys make their mark.

I'm curious to hear what Ashba can bring to the table creatively.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »

I think it would definitely a cool thing to hear, and why not. As long as it don't take anything away from GN'R concentrating on new material, if it's something that everybody was up for, and it could be done in a few weeks using various takes, then whats the harm.

I'm also one of those who would kill to hear the re-recorded appetite from the Nu GN'R. And I agree that what we've heard of Sweet Child from Big Daddy, is definitely better than the original in terms of guitar work (Robin rocks).  Cool

I think this band is on fire at the moment, so why not use them to their best abilities. I think this band would more than do justice to the UYI 2 version of this song. But I also agree that at this point newer material should be higher on the agenda, but again in saying that, all of the songs that will feature on CD 2 might have already been written 3-5 years ago.  Shocked
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: