Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:55:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 189390 times)
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1120 on: October 30, 2012, 11:57:46 PM »

White Sox general manager Rick Hahn hasn't ruled out the possibility of re-signing Kevin Youkilis.
Hahn said the White Sox will not make Youk a qualifying offer after declining his option, but that haven't closed the door on bringing him back. However, after re-upping with Jake Peavy and picking up Gavin Floyd's option, they don't have much money left to spend. It seems likely that he'll sign elsewhere.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=MLB&id=3588&line=381255&spln=1

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1121 on: October 31, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »

Yanks pick up options on Cano and Granderson...15 million per.

Likely that means Swisher is gone.

Reports are that Soriano will opt out today.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1122 on: November 02, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »

Looks as though Mark McGwire is headed home to LA to be the Dodgers hitting coach.

Big Mac lives in the OC and has 5 children under 10 complete with 2 year old triplet girls.

Makes sense, good for him.

Early speculation is John Mabry or Mike Aldrete will be promoted as Cards hitting coach.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1123 on: November 02, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »

The Hot Stove is heating up.

Dan Haren to the Cubs for Caarlos Marmol.

David Ortiz gets 2 years/26 mil from the Sox.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1124 on: November 02, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »

The Hot Stove is heating up.

Dan Haren to the Cubs for Caarlos Marmol.

David Ortiz gets 2 years/26 mil from the Sox.
Why are the Angels so desperate to get rid of Haren?  Think they could do better than Marmol.  I know their bullpen is pretty weak, but Marmol is as inconsistent as they come.

I also thought the Sox could've gotten Ortiz for less, but I'm okay with that deal.  They need bats, so as long as he's healthy he should continue to produce.  First year in a long time though where he won't be playing for a contract the next season.  Have to see what impact that has.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1125 on: November 02, 2012, 10:29:57 PM »

Apparently the Marmol/Haren deal is now off, Ken Rosenthal (best in biz nationally for me) is reporting the Cubs pulled the deal off the table.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1126 on: November 02, 2012, 10:48:09 PM »

Apparently the Marmol/Haren deal is now off, Ken Rosenthal (best in biz nationally for me) is reporting the Cubs pulled the deal off the table.

Yeah I just saw that.  I think it might be a blessing in disguise for the Angels.  I didn't like that deal for them.  Of course, I'm not an MLB GM.  Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing Haren on the Sox.  Depending on the compensation of course.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1127 on: November 03, 2012, 03:30:50 PM »

Yeah I just saw that.  I think it might be a blessing in disguise for the Angels.  I didn't like that deal for them.  Of course, I'm not an MLB GM.  Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing Haren on the Sox.  Depending on the compensation of course.

Not sure a right handed fly ball pitcher would be good at the Fens, he may give ya 200 innnings but could give up 50 bombs.

My guess Haren stays in California, as a Dodger.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1128 on: November 03, 2012, 04:43:59 PM »

Rivera has informed the Yankees he wants to pitch next season. I knew he'd come back for at least one more year. There was no way he was going out like that. I think next season will be his last though then he'll retire to his home in Purchase, NY and wait for Cooperstown to call in 5 years.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1129 on: November 08, 2012, 06:13:36 PM »

I thought a few of the faithful here might enjoy this.

Sometime Deadspin contributor and voice of Fox Sports Joe Buck did a chat with DS today, simply put - it's hysterical.

http://deadspin.com/5958950/ask-joe-buck-whatever-your-despicable-heart-desires?utm_source=deadspin.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1130 on: November 09, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »

Cano stuff, interesting.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/battle_lines_dTtSoUmP4l7SI9YNCL9pfM

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1131 on: November 09, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »

It's gonna take huge money to keep Cano there's just no way around that.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1132 on: November 12, 2012, 09:49:32 PM »

A bit off the normal baseball post but something that goes far beyond where an iconic is player is playing.

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/11/12/12/Pujols-continues-to-bring-smiles-in-St-L/msn_landing.html?blockID=818699&feedID=3794

Pujols continues to bring smiles in St. Louis

November 12, 2012

ST. LOUIS - Cardinals fan Andy Mauch didn?t want to believe it when Albert Pujols left for the Anaheim Angels last winter. So he didn?t.

?He wouldn?t talk about it,? his father Larry says. ?He didn?t believe it. He denied it and would lie for him and say, ?Oh he?s coming back.? But we told him, ?Andy he?s not.? He?s over it now.?

What baseball team Pujols plays for couldn?t have been more meaningless Sunday night. That?s because the three-time MVP was on the same team as Mauch and others with Down syndrome at the 5th annual Pujols Family Foundation All-Star basketball game at Missouri Baptist University.

Pujols joined forces with an impressive list of local celebrities to bring smiles to the faces of many on the court and tears to some of their family members in the stands. It was a night those in attendance felt privileged to be a part of.  And one nobody will soon forget.

?That?s the priority,? Pujols said afterwards. ?It doesn?t matter where you play or where you?re from. You saw the support from the guys that were here. Everything we do is just to give back to the community. No matter where I play, we?re going to continue to do events here.

?Having a daughter with Down syndrome, I know how special it is and it?s a special day today for them and that?s our goal through our foundation, to try and make a difference in the community and we?re going to continue to do that. It was awesome, just giving them the opportunity of a lifetime.?

Helping Pujols give the group of participants a night to remember was a long list of local stars including Cardinals players Matt Holliday, David Freese, Trevor Rosenthal and Kyle McClellan along with former SLU basketball star Anthony Bonner, the Billikens? all-time leading scorer.

Former St. Louis Rams defensive back and NFL Hall of Fame finalist Aeneas Williams and Olympic Gold Medalist Jackie Joyner-Kersee also participated while Meadowlark Lemon of the Harlem Globetrotters interjected his usual humor and fun over the loud speakers throughout the night.

In front of a capacity crowd of cheering family members and friends, the lucky participants took the same court as their lifelong heroes and idols.  They took passes from Pujols and Holliday, weaving up the court for layups or short shots.  Traveling wasn?t called and defense was hard to find. It was the perfect night for all.

?To be here tonight on the same basketball court as Albert Pujols, it was great,? Andy Mauch said. ?It was awesome. It was amazing. I liked it so much. It?s wonderful being here with these guys. When I made that basket right there, it made me feel so great.?

The Pujols Family Foundation headquarters remain in St. Louis despite Pujols? decision to sign a 10-year deal with Anaheim last December. And so does the Pujols family headquarters. His children remain in St. Louis area schools and Pujols shuttled back to town on several off days to be with them.

He may have packed up his baseball glove and bat for Anaheim. But his ideas and goals for his missionary work appear to be unchanged. The Pujols Family Foundation hosted their annual Prom night two weeks ago in St. Louis and their Christmas Gala is just a few weeks away as well.

And Pujols recently returned from a mission trip to the Dominican Republic, where he helped provide medical relief and goods for several impoverished children. Plans are underway to bring one of the kids he met to St. Louis for a much-needed heart transplant in the coming days.

?It?s a blessing,? Pujols said. ?God has blessed me and my family and our foundation and we want to give all the credit to God and to the fans and all the volunteers that put their time together to make events like this possible.?

Pujols took one shot, draining a three-pointer from the corner to the thunderous applause of those in the crowd. He mostly dished off assists and watched as he helped provide an unforgettable experience to a group of deserving recipients.

The All-Stars played a formidable opponent in the Missouri Baptist basketball squad, but with the help of some generous scoring and officiating, the final score read Pujols All-Stars 60, Spartans 48. 

All participants received medals after the game, a lasting keepsake of a night that featured several made baskets and fulfilled dreams.

?When we get up in the morning and look in the mirror, we don?t see what they see,? Larry Mauch said. ?So Andy doesn?t know he can?t do it. And this proves it again, that he thinks he can. And he can. He did it tonight.?

Thanks in large part to Pujols.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1133 on: November 13, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »

The (bon)fire sale in Miami gets gas thrown on it - who didn't see this coming?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/13/blue-jays-on-verge-of-acquiring-righty-josh-johnson/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1134 on: November 13, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »

The Marlins having a fire sale? I'm shocked!  Roll Eyes
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1135 on: November 13, 2012, 08:05:03 PM »

It looks like it's gonna be Reyes, Johnson, Buehrle, Buck, Bonifacio and $4M for Escobar, Hechavarria, Alvarez, Nicolino, Mathis, Marisnick and DeSclafani.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1136 on: November 13, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »

It looks like it's gonna be Reyes, Johnson, Buehrle, Buck, Bonifacio and $4M for Escobar, Hechavarria, Alvarez, Nicolino, Mathis, Marisnick and DeSclafani.

Latest update has the Marlins throwing in their 2 WS trophies, the Dominican Republic and Dan Marino.

Reyes' contract is obscenely backloaded.  Have to check, but I think the Marlins only paid $10M of the $120M last year. 
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1137 on: November 13, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »

I wish the league would step in and do something about this family ownership. They are a disgrace and thieves.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1138 on: November 14, 2012, 06:32:34 AM »

And.....Miami goes back on MLB welfare, pocketing luxury tax and revenue sharing money and paying their players nothing.

I suspect the league will send a harshly worded email...which will do exactly nothing.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1139 on: November 14, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »

And.....Miami goes back on MLB welfare, pocketing luxury tax and revenue sharing money and paying their players nothing.

I suspect the league will send a harshly worded email...which will do exactly nothing.

They need to do more. What needs to be done is banning the Loria family from baseball for life.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: