Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:46:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Appetite For Collection
| | |-+  Rape scene cover, still sealed?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rape scene cover, still sealed?  (Read 11538 times)
ryanb964
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: April 04, 2012, 10:34:20 PM »

My friend has an Appetite record with the rape scene cover and it's still sealed and the regular appetite album but the record itself is white. Do any of you know how much these would be worth? I'm trying to tell him I'll give him $250 for both.
hitmanhart408
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:38:03 PM »

rape scene might be a re-print as they are common. the white record im pretty sure is a bootleg. someone else can tell you more
wadey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 04:38:35 AM »

I'm trying to tell him I'll give him $250 for both.

i would really do your homework before parting with that amount of money...
can you post pics maybe

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:39:07 AM »

The white is 99% likely a boot unless you have proof otherwise, but it is still collectible and will fetch anywhere from $20-$50 on eBay depending on the weather.  As for the other, can you tell us the catalogue #?  The UPC code?  What country it was made in?  This should be listed on the back?  Are there any stickers on the front or back? 

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
ryanb964
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:53:25 PM »

Yeah, right now he's in the military, and when he gets back he's going to bring both of them over. I'll have to look it over, but I'm not really sure of how to make if it's real or not. He said he has had it for a very long time, so I guess I'll find out when I see it.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »

I happened to come across a sealed copy of the rape cover and only paid $20.00 for it.  Now granted, this was in a record store, not having to relentlessly bid on high priced ebay items.

The Cross cover is much more common and the record is black.

I DEFINITELY would not pay as much as you're offering to pay.  $250 is waaaay too much.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:36:43 PM by Bridge » Logged
troccoli
VIP

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 07:21:27 AM »

I happened to come across a sealed copy of the rape cover and only paid $20.00 for it.  Now granted, this was in a record store, not having to relentlessly bid on high priced ebay items.

The Cross cover is much more common and the record is black.

I DEFINITELY would not pay as much as you're offering to pay.  $250 is waaaay too much.

I really hope I am wrong about this (not something you read too often on this message board these days huh) but you most likely picked up a re-release and not an original copy.  Are there any stickers on the front cover and can you describe them for us?  Any bar codes/UPC codes?  Any catalogue numbers?  Does the back indicate what country it was made in?  Still a cool pickup regardless!

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
ryanb964
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »

I haven't bought it yet. Still waiting for him to get it in a few weeks. Then I'll look at it and see if it's real or not. My question was though, how do I know it's real or not? What do I look for?
axlrules
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:57:54 AM »

hi

i have it in blue,red,yellow and green color

all is bootleg,30? is maximum price for me
troccoli
VIP

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »

I haven't bought it yet. Still waiting for him to get it in a few weeks. Then I'll look at it and see if it's real or not. My question was though, how do I know it's real or not? What do I look for?

Well, if the person you are buying it from doesn't mind, get some high quality pics and post here so we can help you out.  Barring that, you can look here for what sealed originals look like:

US 1st issue: http://www.troccolitm.com/12AppUSOrig.html?1198049411198

US 2nd issue: http://www.troccolitm.com/apporgss.html?1163931680718

Of course the stickers may be in different locations. 

raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »

My friend has an Appetite record with the rape scene cover and it's still sealed and the regular appetite album but the record itself is white. Do any of you know how much these would be worth? I'm trying to tell him I'll give him $250 for both.

You shouldn't name a number unless you can prove it's real and just call Amoeba Records up (or a large record store that sells vintage vinyl) and ask them if they have one, and how much it's going for.

Sometimes it's worth spending the money on an appraisal if it does turn out to be expensive, or it turns out to be fake. 

Unless your friend's into collecting, he might have gotten ripped off if he paid big money for it.

I have no idea how much my tape copy of LLAS is, picked it up in the used section for a dollar, years ago, don't even know what kind of shape it's in.

Just tell him you want to get the records checked out before spending that kind of money, and if you decide not to buy it, it would let him  know how much he can sell it off for.

But anytime I've seen bootleg vinyl, the artwork was REALLY obvious, and the inner groove is usually where you notice the difference.

The big money is in finding promo copies of it, and when a lot of radio stations switched to digital or went out of business, there was a lot of rare stuff floating around.

I think the holy grail would be finding a copy that GnR and Robert Williams signed, but if any of them date or personalize it, would drive down the value of it.

troccoli
VIP

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 09:34:25 AM »

You shouldn't name a number unless you can prove it's real and just call Amoeba Records up (or a large record store that sells vintage vinyl) and ask them if they have one, and how much it's going for.

Sometimes it's worth spending the money on an appraisal if it does turn out to be expensive, or it turns out to be fake. 

Unless your friend's into collecting, he might have gotten ripped off if he paid big money for it.

I have no idea how much my tape copy of LLAS is, picked it up in the used section for a dollar, years ago, don't even know what kind of shape it's in.

Just tell him you want to get the records checked out before spending that kind of money, and if you decide not to buy it, it would let him  know how much he can sell it off for.

But anytime I've seen bootleg vinyl, the artwork was REALLY obvious, and the inner groove is usually where you notice the difference.

The big money is in finding promo copies of it, and when a lot of radio stations switched to digital or went out of business, there was a lot of rare stuff floating around.

I think the holy grail would be finding a copy that GnR and Robert Williams signed, but if any of them date or personalize it, would drive down the value of it.

No offense, but I would not go to Amoeba to ascertain the value of things.  Most items they consider to be rare are way overpriced, and sometimes the items that are actually rare are way cheap (like the guy who bought a Chinese Democracy red hand cover cd there for $5).  Why not go instead to ebay?

Here's the 1st pressing sealed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guns-N-Roses-Appetite-For-Destruction-Unopened-Original-Banned-Vinyl-lp-1987-/150800988778?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item231c707a6a

Here's the 2nd pressing sealed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Appetite-for-Destruction-SEALED-by-Guns-N-Roses-Misprint-Banned-/110840734479?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ce9f630f

Note the differences in the stickeres on the cover.  Considering he'd also be getting the white vinyl (for sure a bootleg item but cool nonetheless) and he's buying from a friend then I'd say $250 is not unreasonable at all.

littlehon
Opening Act

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 09:48:22 AM »

i agree with you tim , a sealed copy is only ever going to go up in value , especially a first press , the white vinyl are quite common but still go for between ?15 - 30 depending on condition !
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 05:53:41 PM »

No offense, but I would not go to Amoeba to ascertain the value of things.  Most items they consider to be rare are way overpriced, and sometimes the items that are actually rare are way cheap (like the guy who bought a Chinese Democracy red hand cover cd there for $5).  Why not go instead to ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guns-N-Roses-Appetite-For-Destruction-Unopened-Original-Banned-Vinyl-lp-1987-/150800988778?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item231c707a6a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Appetite-for-Destruction-SEALED-by-Guns-N-Roses-Misprint-Banned-/110840734479?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ce9f630f

Note the differences in the stickeres on the cover.  Considering he'd also be getting the white vinyl (for sure a bootleg item but cool nonetheless) and he's buying from a friend then I'd say $250 is not unreasonable at all.

Before I'd shell out 250, I'd want to get as many opinions as possible on what it's actually worth.

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »

Post some decent photos
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 01:49:19 PM »

Post some decent photos

He did

I'd say worth it  ok

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
troccoli
VIP

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 08:07:17 PM »

Before I'd shell out 250, I'd want to get as many opinions as possible on what it's actually worth.

Right - that's kind of the reason the OP started this thread  ok

Post some decent photos

Reread the thread - waiting for friend to get back from military deployment  Smiley

Post some decent photos

He did

I'd say worth it  ok

When he wrote post some decent photos, he was referring to the OP not to me, but thanks though!  And the ebay links I posted were just examples not the ones that the OP is thinking of buying.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: