Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 12:44:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  HBO Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony/Performance Broadcast May 5th
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HBO Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony/Performance Broadcast May 5th  (Read 29441 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2012, 09:42:40 PM »

Great read by Duff. He gets it for sure. Bout damn time !
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »

He absolutely gets it. I said it from the beginning, whether you agree with the rrhof or not its really about the fans and the legacy you created. They created something special and were being recognized for it. The least they couldve done was acknowledge that they together made magic. They dont have to be friends or even perform.
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2012, 11:21:35 AM »

Great article by Duff. It really is sad how the rest of the bands like the chilli peppers and beasties not only kept it together but gnr did not. Once the biggest and most powerful band in the world cannot even get all their original members together for this special night.

You can tell Duff is deeply saddened not only by the fact that gnr could not keep it together, but even worse could not come together for one measley night. After seeing some of the speaches from different inductees, I feel most of these artist are there because they are truly greatful and humbled for the position that they are in and what they have accomplished. It is an event to reflect back on careers that made an imprint on the music industry.

I still don't Understand what was the straw that broke the camels back for Axl not to show up. In my opinion it was a slap in the face to the original line up and an even bigger slap in the face to a large part of the fan base. I know many here will defend him to the death, but whats wrong is wrong. I know he gets annoyed with the reunion gossip, but he is a big boy and should know how to deal with that BS after 15 years now. With that said I also think it was not cool that Izzy and Dizzy did not show up either. I am sure their reasons were to stay neutral and not go against Axl.

Whenever I see that video when he talks about the AFD cross tattoo and when he says no matter what happens I will always look back on that part of my life, etc. and all the hard times and shit the original members went through together, these guys were like brothers and  I can't believe he could not sit with them to have dinner and accept an award together for one night. It's like after sleeping in dumpsters and floors with piss shit blood etc. all the crazy fights and brawls and riots, Axl can't do this? It's fucked up, but what's done is done. I think Axl would have actually enjoyed himself because none of those guys were going to be dicks to him. I am sure they would have been really happy that he made it and showed them respect.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »

He absolutely gets it. I said it from the beginning, whether you agree with the rrhof or not its really about the fans and the legacy you created. They created something special and were being recognized for it. The least they couldve done was acknowledge that they together made magic. They dont have to be friends or even perform.
The RRHOF is really NOT about the fans.  It never has been and never will be.  Here's an article that shows how flawed the selection process is, and one specific example of how the thoughts and feelings of the fans of Moody Blues were literally laughed at:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,1966,00.html

We received this letter from a former board member. Here it is:
"Thank you for your insightful article on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I am a veteran music journalist who spent two years on the Hall's nominating committee and saw from the inside some of the politics at work.
"I saw how artists were sometimes chosen for nomination because of their affiliations with the directors of the Hall and others were shot down without so much as a moment of consideration simply because some people in that room didn't like them personally or because an artist had bad blood with someone calling the shots.
"At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist.
"During my second year on the committee, I received a petition signed by 5000 fans of the Moody Blues requesting that the group be considered for nomination. Personally I am not much of a fan, and neither, apparently, was anyone else on the committee (at least no one who would admit it). Still, I felt they were a legitimate contender for the nomination and that it was my duty to present the petition since so many people had taken a lot of time to put it together. I plunked it down on the conference table to a great roar of laughter from the assembled bigshots.
"Jon Landau, Springsteen's manager, asked me if I personally was a fan of theirs. 'Not really,' I said. 'End of discussion,' he said.
"On the other hand, I saw how Atlantic Records artists were routinely placed into nomination with no discussion at all, due to the large concentration of Atlantic executives on the committee. I saw how so-called critical favorites were placed into nomination while artists that were massively popular in their time were brushed off. I saw how certain pioneering artists of the 50s and early 60s were shunned because there needed to be more name power on the list, resulting in 70s superstars getting in before the people who made it possible for them. Some of those pioneers still aren't in today ? but Queen is.

Does that sound like an organization that is "really about the fans"?

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »

Great article by Duff. It really is sad how the rest of the bands like the chilli peppers and beasties not only kept it together but gnr did not. Once the biggest and most powerful band in the world cannot even get all their original members together for this special night.

You can tell Duff is deeply saddened not only by the fact that gnr could not keep it together, but even worse could not come together for one measley night. After seeing some of the speaches from different inductees, I feel most of these artist are there because they are truly greatful and humbled for the position that they are in and what they have accomplished. It is an event to reflect back on careers that made an imprint on the music industry.

I still don't Understand what was the straw that broke the camels back for Axl not to show up. In my opinion it was a slap in the face to the original line up and an even bigger slap in the face to a large part of the fan base. I know many here will defend him to the death, but whats wrong is wrong. I know he gets annoyed with the reunion gossip, but he is a big boy and should know how to deal with that BS after 15 years now. With that said I also think it was not cool that Izzy and Dizzy did not show up either. I am sure their reasons were to stay neutral and not go against Axl.

Whenever I see that video when he talks about the AFD cross tattoo and when he says no matter what happens I will always look back on that part of my life, etc. and all the hard times and shit the original members went through together, these guys were like brothers and  I can't believe he could not sit with them to have dinner and accept an award together for one night. It's like after sleeping in dumpsters and floors with piss shit blood etc. all the crazy fights and brawls and riots, Axl can't do this? It's fucked up, but what's done is done. I think Axl would have actually enjoyed himself because none of those guys were going to be dicks to him. I am sure they would have been really happy that he made it and showed them respect.

I wonder how many of the people like you who feel it was "wrong" for Axl to not attend feel that way simply because they were denied the opportunity to see the old band together, either in the same room or on stage, one last time?  Was it really wrong, or are you just pissed you didn't get what you wanted or think you deserved?  Do you feel the same way about Levon Helm, Roger Waters, Paul McCartney and John Deacon not attending their band's induction ceremonies?

Not that I think it's wrong to be upset you didn't get what you wanted.  But, just that there is a difference between that and some heinous moral wrong being committed.  It was a choice.  One that I think he could've handled differently, as he could've not shown up and not declined induction.  But, it was a choice, and his to make, just like it was Izzy's, Roger Waters', Paul McCartney's and Levon Helm's choices to not show up.  Many of them because of tensions with the lineups being inducted.

Ali
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »

it was just wrong!  Wink

Re-Union time, baby!!
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »

Ali, I am not pissed and understand it is his choice. I will even go further to say I can completely understand Axl may have felt awkward at first because he had not seen or talked to Slash in many years. Since he has talked to Matt, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Dizzy the only person that may have been weird was Slash. Say what you will about Slash, but does anyone honestly think he would have used this opportunity to confront or disrespect Axl. Slash is pretty much an introvert and would have probably liked to have just said peace to Axl and give him a hug. I don't think he wanted to punch him or get on the podium and say something bad about Axl which he did not do. With that said I am just sad that Axl missed an opportunity to heal that wound between him and Slash. I am not saying to try to be his buddy but just squash whatever beef they have lingering between them. He would have shown respect to the original members which they deserve as does he and enjoyed an evening with his old brothers that he had not seen in years who created this wonderful music we are still enjoying to this very day.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »

Ali, I am not pissed and understand it is his choice. I will even go further to say I can completely understand Axl may have felt awkward at first because he had not seen or talked to Slash in many years. Since he has talked to Matt, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Dizzy the only person that may have been weird was Slash. Say what you will about Slash, but does anyone honestly think he would have used this opportunity to confront or disrespect Axl. Slash is pretty much an introvert and would have probably liked to have just said peace to Axl and give him a hug. I don't think he wanted to punch him or get on the podium and say something bad about Axl which he did not do. With that said I am just sad that Axl missed an opportunity to heal that wound between him and Slash. I am not saying to try to be his buddy but just squash whatever beef they have lingering between them. He would have shown respect to the original members which they deserve as does he and enjoyed an evening with his old brothers that he had not seen in years who created this wonderful music we are still enjoying to this very day.
No offense, but do you know Axl or Slash personally? If not, why are you sad about Axl and Slash not being on good terms? Outside of the possibility of a reunion, how does the status of their relationship or lack thereof affect you?

Also, if Axl didn't respect the original lineup, and the appreciation the fans have for them, then why would he have had Duff and Izzy on stage with the current band.

Ali
TK1
Headliner

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2012, 04:39:12 PM »

I think Duff was embarrassed a bit.  You can argue with a great amount of credibility that the RNRHOF has flaws.  But, Duff also recognized a vast majority of GN'R fans saw this as likely our one chance to see the original guys together again, even if only for a few minutes on stage.  Of course, everybody had the right to not attend, but that still doesn't mean a majority of fans weren't disappointed.  Duff fully understood how excited fans were by this and just how much the original band meant to the fans.  Sure, we get Axl has a new lineup and the other guys have gone separate ways and we all know about the remaining tension between Axl and Slash.

But, still we had hope that they, for the fans, could set aside all of their egos, disagreements and differences to simply do something that would mean so much to so many.  And, for whatever reason, legitimate or not, they couldn't do it.  The guys that went made the best of it, but I think Duff is simply embarrassed that they all couldn't find a way to make it work, just for a few minutes, to show thanks to the millions of fans who made GN'R such a successful force. 
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2012, 05:59:26 PM »

You can always count on Ali to bring the spin, gnr should've hired you years ago mate.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2012, 06:27:53 PM »

You can always count on Ali to bring the spin, gnr should've hired you years ago mate.
What spin is involved exactly in asking these questions?  Or is that just a cheap and easy way of deflecting the questions instead of actually answering them?  Roll Eyes

Ali
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2012, 11:45:53 PM »

"Thank you for your insightful article on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I am a veteran music journalist who spent two years on the Hall's nominating committee and saw from the inside some of the politics at work.
"I saw how artists were sometimes chosen for nomination because of their affiliations with the directors of the Hall and others were shot down without so much as a moment of consideration simply because some people in that room didn't like them personally or because an artist had bad blood with someone calling the shots.

Your points are valid Ali, however, I will point out that there isn't a single awards committee/show that isn't politically driven.  The Academy Awards in the U.S. are notoriously political.  The studios pay the salaries of the Academy, so often the members will vote for people who had the bigger box office.  For instance, Martin Scorsese got shafted for years when nominated for Best Director in favor of directors that were inferior to him (like Clint Eastwood, a big box office director), before he finally won a few years ago.

I wonder how many of the people like you who feel it was "wrong" for Axl to not attend feel that way simply because they were denied the opportunity to see the old band together,

Not that I think it's wrong to be upset you didn't get what you wanted.  But, just that there is a difference between that and some heinous moral wrong being committed. 

I agree with this.  I too was disappointed not to see the original five onstage together -- though not surprised at all.  In fact, I fully anticipated that there would be some sort of problem or conflict, and I can't see how anyone wouldn't think there would be.  In the weeks preceding the event, I knew in my heart that it wouldn't happen based on everything that has transpired.  While I don't buy any of the nasty remarks Axl has recently made about Slash, the fact that he made them made it seem very abundantly clear that Axl would not have wanted to share the stage with Slash at all, even if only briefly and without looking at him.

At the end of the day, life will go on, regardless of how disappointed anyone (including myself) may be.

When the Beatles broke up, John Lennon had this to say, and it's ultimately true....

"It's just a rock group breaking up, it's nothing important."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:03:34 AM by Bridge » Logged
Ali
Legend

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2012, 02:04:57 AM »

Your points are valid Ali, however, I will point out that there isn't a single awards committee/show that isn't politically driven.  The Academy Awards in the U.S. are notoriously political.  The studios pay the salaries of the Academy, so often the members will vote for people who had the bigger box office.  For instance, Martin Scorsese got shafted for years when nominated for Best Director in favor of directors that were inferior to him (like Clint Eastwood, a big box office director), before he finally won a few years ago.

I wonder how many of the people like you who feel it was "wrong" for Axl to not attend feel that way simply because they were denied the opportunity to see the old band together,

Not that I think it's wrong to be upset you didn't get what you wanted.  But, just that there is a difference between that and some heinous moral wrong being committed. 

I agree with this.  I too was disappointed not to see the original five onstage together -- though not surprised at all.  In fact, I fully anticipated that there would be some sort of problem or conflict, and I can't see how anyone wouldn't think there would be.  In the weeks preceding the event, I knew in my heart that it wouldn't happen based on everything that has transpired.  While I don't buy any of the nasty remarks Axl has recently made about Slash, the fact that he made them made it seem very abundantly clear that Axl would not have wanted to share the stage with Slash at all, even if only briefly and without looking at him.

At the end of the day, life will go on, regardless of how disappointed anyone (including myself) may be.

When the Beatles broke up, John Lennon had this to say, and it's ultimately true....

"It's just a rock group breaking up, it's nothing important."
I appreciate your thoughtful response, Bridge. I'll just say that I wasn't implying the RRHOF is more political than other awards committees. Just that in looking at that story about the Moody Blues, how can anyone rightfully say that is the attitude of an organization that is "about the fans"?

Ali
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2012, 09:00:01 AM »

I appreciate your thoughtful response, Bridge. I'll just say that I wasn't implying the RRHOF is more political than other awards committees. Just that in looking at that story about the Moody Blues, how can anyone rightfully say that is the attitude of an organization that is "about the fans"?

Ali

My guess would be that the posters using that phrase are talking more about the attitude of the individuals being inducted than they are about the organization itself.  I think Axl himself has acknowledged that the induction is something that means a lot to many of his fans.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2012, 09:25:02 AM »

From Slash:

May 10, 2012

"It was definitely an uncomfortable nagging kind of thing because there were so many negatives," Slash said last week. "I was positive that there would be no positive outcome. I had mixed feelings about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame itself and how bands are inducted and why some bands are and some bands aren't. My attitude changed a lot while I was there, seeing everyone get inducted besides ourselves. It turned out to be a cool and heart-warming experience."

"The Van Halen induction was a nightmare," Slash said. "It wasn't fun. And we were potentially a mirror image of that. Now at this point, [GNR's induction] is something I'm really happy I did because it was very close to not happening at all. It turned out that, in the moment, it was a really positive and fulfilling experience."

Part of the good vibes were because Kennedy stepped up on short notice and sang the GNR classics "Sweet Child o' Mine," "Mr. Brownstone" and "Paradise City" with the ex-Gunners.

"That wasn't an idea I would have suggested," said the 46-year-old guitarist, who doesn't sing but has recorded with everyone from Michael Jackson to Bob Dylan. "But Duff had mentioned it. This is not even 48 hours before the actual event. So I said, 'OK, I'll ask him.' At first, he didn't want to do it because of the pressure and all the weirdness of being stuck in that position. Then at the very, very last minute, he said, 'OK, for the cause, I'll do it.' He did a [bleeping] amazing job."

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/150971115.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2012, 11:15:31 AM »

I obviously don't know Axl or Slash and my observation about their relationship or lack there of is only hoping as a fan they would simply mend their relationship because I think it would be cool after all these years and as a fan of both. At the end of the day I am not losing sleep because of this shit. These guys are both millionaires and have a million other obligations to worry about.

GnR is almost like our favorite sports team. If you were a Chicago bulls fan during the Michael Jordan and Scotty Pippen years, that team won 6 championships with those guys. Jordan and Pippen achieved the former together, and were the main components of that team although the other players made their contributions to achieve their level of success. If you are a bulls fan you will always cheer for them, and you should always acknowledge Jordan and Pippen were incredible together. If after they are gone they hate each other and cant even shake each others hands, it is sad as a fan of the bulls and those guys Because you really don't want the faced if the franchise of the most significant era of the team to be at that level of disfunction as a fan. With that said these guys are in the past and will not play togeter anymore and you will continue to cheer for the bulls And hope they continue to succeed. Btw I am not a bulls fan, just trying to make a point.

My point is like it or not Axl and Slash were te faces of Gnr in their heyday. Together along with the Guys inducted in the rrhof they made Gnr the biggest band on the planet at one time. As a fan even of the current line up, why would any Gnr fan want the animosity to continue? I think maybe that group of fans needs the annimosity to continue to help them sleep out of fear of any reunion. Because then if they do become friends there is always that possibility again. I know there won't be any reunion, even if they were best friends again it won't happen because all these guys have different agendas. It's kind of the reason Slash continues to work with Myles and his current band, because he calls the shots. In Vr it's more of everyone is equal. And back in Gnr it would be back on Axls terms which I doubt he wants at this stage. So yes as a fan of both these guys I wish them the best and continue to hope that some day they can get past this rift.

Everybody has praised Axl for bringing Izzy and Duff on stage for a few songs. Do you mean to tell me you would hate to see Axl do that with Slash one day? Or how slash opening up for Gnr like loaded did. I am a Gnr fan and want to support everyone in the Gnr fraternity, team, etc. and I think we all should if you r true fans.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2012, 01:56:10 PM »

So this is what COULD have happened, but we get stuck with Myles Kennedy.

Duff McKagan Says Green Day Frontman Almost Filled In for Axl Rose at Guns N? Roses Rock Hall Performance

Last month, Guns N? Roses was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  While frontman Axl Rose and former guitarist Izzy Stradlin decided not to show up for the induction ceremony, the band?s other original members ? guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Steven Adler ? partnered with ex-guitarist Gilby Clarke and Alter Bridge frontman Myles Kennedy to perform at the event.

In McKagan?s Seattle Weekly blog, which runs every Thursday, the ex-GN?R member says that while Kennedy filled in for Rose, the bass player ?devised a plan? for Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong to ?sing whatever was needed?if needed? at the event.

McKagan added that the band?s decision to perform was a spontaneous one.  ?We really didn?t know if we were going to play at all,? he wrote.  ?It wasn?t cemented until we actually rehearsed at 2 a.m. the day of the show.  It was all THAT last-minute.?

The bassist also noted that he had some reservations about performing at the event.  ?For Slash and me, it was the first time we?d played our songs with Steven Adler in something like 22 years,? he wrote.  ?We had to wonder: Would it work? Would we be able to get our mojo back with only 14 hours to spare before playing in front of an audience of 7,000, and be filmed for an HBO Special!??

In addition, McKagan wrote that he was ?very satisfied about the outcome? of the band?s performance at the event and thanked Clarke and Kennedy ?for their heroic, last-minute efforts
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2012, 02:11:44 PM »

There are far more GN'R fans that would rather see Slash on stage w/Axl than those who would prefer the current, or Robin, Bucket etc.
Just not on this particular forum.
I don't care about the "true fan" badge. Too old for that.
It couldn't be more simple. People want to see the musicians who created the music they love.
Those chances are few and far between, as bands break up, members leave, die etc.

It's great being able to hear the songs you love, but it's not hard to understand why people would prefer to hear them played by their creators rather than strangers.
Anyway, it's a mute point here. Those cards aren't on the table. Can't even get the guys in the same room.

This site is geared more towards the current incarnation, and the majority of posters seem to prefer the current players, which is great. Point is, I don't think you're going to change anyones mind.
Some are blindly loyal to Axl and choose to share his enemies. Some were never fans of Slash to begin with and got into the band because of Bucket, Robin etc.
Some just aren't interested in revisiting the past. For some, Slash on stage with Axl potentially spells the end of the band THEY fell in love with. The Chinese Democracy era.

I'm just glad all members are alive and active. Just caught GN'R, going to see Slash in August, maybe VR.
It would be nice if Axl were more productive in the studio, and if Izzy would get off his ass and tour!!

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2012, 02:17:32 PM »

So this is what COULD have happened, but we get stuck with Myles Kennedy.

Duff McKagan Says Green Day Frontman Almost Filled In for Axl Rose at Guns N? Roses Rock Hall Performance

Last month, Guns N? Roses was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  While frontman Axl Rose and former guitarist Izzy Stradlin decided not to show up for the induction ceremony, the band?s other original members ? guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Steven Adler ? partnered with ex-guitarist Gilby Clarke and Alter Bridge frontman Myles Kennedy to perform at the event.

In McKagan?s Seattle Weekly blog, which runs every Thursday, the ex-GN?R member says that while Kennedy filled in for Rose, the bass player ?devised a plan? for Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong to ?sing whatever was needed?if needed? at the event.

McKagan added that the band?s decision to perform was a spontaneous one.  ?We really didn?t know if we were going to play at all,? he wrote.  ?It wasn?t cemented until we actually rehearsed at 2 a.m. the day of the show.  It was all THAT last-minute.?

The bassist also noted that he had some reservations about performing at the event.  ?For Slash and me, it was the first time we?d played our songs with Steven Adler in something like 22 years,? he wrote.  ?We had to wonder: Would it work? Would we be able to get our mojo back with only 14 hours to spare before playing in front of an audience of 7,000, and be filmed for an HBO Special!??

In addition, McKagan wrote that he was ?very satisfied about the outcome? of the band?s performance at the event and thanked Clarke and Kennedy ?for their heroic, last-minute efforts

I'm personally very grateful we were spared being subjected to witness Billie Joe attempt to sing GN'R songs.
I'm sure he's happy too!

No one can sing GN'R like Axl.
Myles can't. Scott can't. I don't need to hear BJ try to know he can't.
Very cool of him to offer help though. He seems like a cool guy.

I the end, the band sounded tight, and Myles did as good a job as could be expected.
They put on a show for the fans that traveled all the way there to see them. Tough for me to find anything negative about that.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »

Ali

My guess would be that the posters using that phrase are talking more about the attitude of the individuals being inducted than they are about the organization itself.  I think Axl himself has acknowledged that the induction is something that means a lot to many of his fans.
I have no doubts it did mean a lot to many.  But, just be aware that the people behind the RRHOF openly laughed at a group of fans mere suggestion that Moody Blues be CONSIDERED for induction.  So, the RRHOF itself and/or the people behind it, are not about the fans.

Ali
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: