Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 10:21:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227978 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Interview Gulf News
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Interview Gulf News  (Read 14472 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: January 31, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »

Slash is ready for Dubai

As he returns to city, the legendary guitarist talks music, performing and an old friend called Rose

January 26, 2013

It?s 9pm and five minutes before my telephone interview with Slash, I was told that I have precisely 10 minutes on the phone with him. Woah. I quickly realised I wasn?t going to be able to cover all the questions I had prepared for the legendary rocker, one of the greatest guitarists of all time who is heading to Dubai later on this month to perform with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators at the Aviation Club. But Slash, real name Saul Hudson, is surprisingly charming, and ready to sing Dubai?s praises as soon as he comes on the line.

?The last time I was in Dubai was in 2008 for Velvet Revolver?s final tour,? he says, excitedly. ?I didn?t really get the chance to see much of the city the last time around as we were pretty much in and out of the country. I just remember looking at how it was going through a lot of changes, but it looked amazing ? I bet that has all developed now!?

Prior to co-finding Velvet Revolver, Slash found fame as the lead guitarist of Guns N? Roses, with whom he achieved worldwide success in the late eighties and early nineties. But things turned sour after his relationship with frontman Axl Rose deteriorated.

To this day, Slash maintains that he has not spoken with Rose in person since 1996, and the last time he spoke of him was in 2009 in response to a public statement by Rose in which he referred to Slash as ?a cancer?.

?It doesn?t really affect me at all,? he says. ?It?s been a long time. The fact that he has anything to say at all, it?s like, ?Whatever, dude.? It doesn?t really matter.?

Back to the present, and since Velvet Revolver went on hiatus in 2008, Slash has been keeping busy with various projects. In 2010, he released his first solo album, a self-tilted effort featuring a number of guest musicians, such as Ozzy Osbourne, M Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold, Dave Grohl, and even Adam Levine of Maroon 5. In 2012, he started recording his second album, Apocalyptic Love, with singer/guitarist Myles Kennedy, along with rhythm section Brent Fitz and Todd Kerns, also known as The Conspirators ? Slash?s current tour mates.

?During the last Dubai show, I really didn?t know what to expect,? he continues. ?I mean, we had been put up in an amazing hotel and treated really well, but we weren?t really sure what the show would be like. But then when it happened, it was amazing.

?This time around, it?s the first show in the tour, so it?s going to be pretty special for those that come out. Fans can expect a mix of music: some from the last solo record, some from Velvet Revolver, and of course, some from the catalogue of Guns N?Roses ? two hours of music!

I point out that it?s quite refreshing for Dubai music fans to witness a show that hasn?t been played anywhere else yet. At least we haven?t seen any of it on YouTube for instance.
?But that?s the thing; I try and make it a point to have every show seem like it?s the first show of a tour,? Slash says. ?I do not rehearse what I am going to say, and repeat what I say every night. We even mix up the songs. The set lists change from show to show.

?I have seen other artists and bands do this, and it really turned me off. It?s important to feed off the vibe, because every show is going to be different. It?s important to have the freedom to change it around a little bit so that it feels right for yourself. Otherwise, the audience picks up [on the fact the performance is not genuine].?
When Slash is not on the road or recording, he?s a self-confessed movie buff, even posting about the titles he watches (such as ?My 8-year-old just completed the Lego Hobbit ? it?s much better than the movie!?)

It also seems that he is currently following the news in Dubai, recently tweeting: ?Contrary to rumour, @astonmartin did not deliver by helicopter to Dubai, a new Vanquish for me. I wish I were that cool. (sic)?

But don?t expect him to see your tweets.

?I hardly check my replies?, he confesses. ?I just post things that come to mind.?

Speaking of a recent question he tweeted to Kiss frontman Gene Simmons (?Random thought; I wonder if @Genesimmons dog still barks at him when he puts his Kisstume on???), he says: ?He?s probably not seen it! The reason I posted that was because there was a photoshoot going on at my house, and once I had dressed up, my dog started barking at me, because they didn?t recognise me. So I was wondering if the same happens with Gene.?

While on the topic of social media, we discuss making it in the industry in this day and age. And from his response, it?s very clear that Slash knows he wouldn?t be touring if he wasn?t an already established musician.

?For me personally, I would say that it is easier nowadays; however, I feel bad for young musicians these days. A lot of things have changed. I think it is more difficult to make it big now.?

Just as he finishes this sentence, we?re warned that our time is up. I try and push for one more question, and despite the fact the nice lady monitoring the call is less than happy about this request, Slash tells me to go ahead and ask him.

Anyone who lived in the Middle East in the nineties or before would know that most music albums sold in stores were not legal copies, purely because no copyright laws existed. I ask him whether he?d prefer that we had bought those copies, listen to his music, and be familiar with his material, or we had avoided doing so completely.

?I?d definitely prefer fans listening to the music. It?s great that our music has reached so many people around the world, and if this was the way it had to be done, then so be it,? he replies.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a true musician for you.

http://gulfnews.com/about-gulf-news/al-nisr-portfolio/tabloid/slash-is-ready-for-dubai-1.1137966

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »

Another interview with Slash:

Slash says he'll never follow in Steve Tyler's footsteps as a talent show judge

January 29, 2013

As a former member of one of the biggest rock bands in the world, Slash could have been forgiven for hanging up his guitar and rolling into retirement.

However, since leaving Guns N Roses, the iconic guitarist remains a switched-on musician.

From setting up new bands and side projects, Slash - who takes to the stage at Dubai Tennis Stadium on Thursday - has worked with everyone from Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie to Iggy Pop. He?s been immortalised as a character in a computer game and has even set up his own film company, with his first movie due out later this year.

He?s pulling plenty of strings but there?s one thing you won?t catch the legendary jack of all trades doing.

And that?s following in fellow rocker Steve Tyler?s footsteps as a judge on a talent show.

?I know the pay?s good for that kind of stuff but it?s just not my forte,? Slash says.

?I have a considerable amount of disdain for all that stuff.

?I actually did ?American Idol? for a second - I was a mentor. They talked me into it, they twisted my arm and I ended up doing it. It was because, at the time, Adam Lambert was on it and I thought he was a great singer. The first time I saw him, I went down there because a friend of mine works at the studio and checked him out. Once I went down there I was captive. It was an interesting experience but I would never do it again.?

Would it have been a different tale if talent shows were around when he was starting his career? Would Slash, who was last year inducted into the Rock ?n? Roll Hall of Fame, have taken the easy route to fame if the opportunity had arrived?

?No, I wouldn?t have done it,? he insists.

?The idea of a rock ?n? roll band and how that comes about [goes against] that buying and selling of human beings and what they do on TV. The perception of a career on ?American Idol? is just the antithesis of where a rock ?n? roll band comes from.?

The passion for music is still there for the rocker who says Dubai fans are in for a treat on Thursday. With no planned set, every gig is different and Slash adds: ?What turned me on as a kid - why I first got into music was live bands - they were really my biggest influence. I was really turned on by the energy of performing in front of an audience so that?s carried with me to this day. I don?t put a lot of effort or money into a big show production kind of thing, I just rely on good sound and the band doing what it does best and, to me, I just think that?s a real sort of honest rock ?n? roll experience and I thrive on that and that?s why I?ve been having a blast.?

http://www.7daysindubai.com/Slash-says-ll-follow-Steve-Tyler-s-footsteps/story-17986290-detail/story.html

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:37:45 PM »

I?m really happy that Axl seems to be happy. He?s probably at the same place that I?m at.

"The fact that he has anything to say at all, it?s like, ?Whatever, dude.? It doesn?t really matter.?

I guess the attitude changes from interview to interview. Cheesy

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 01:41:54 PM »

I?m really happy that Axl seems to be happy. He?s probably at the same place that I?m at.

"The fact that he has anything to say at all, it?s like, ?Whatever, dude.? It doesn?t really matter.?

Could be wrong, but thought the 2nd quote was from an old interview, in response to Axl's over the top "cancer" rant.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 02:15:03 PM »

Could be wrong, but thought the 2nd quote was from an old interview, in response to Axl's over the top "cancer" rant.

It's in a new interview, but you might be right, it could be have been picked up from the other interview. Or he said it again. Cheesy

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »

Some more interviews with Slash, prior to the tour...

DC Interview with Slash on Rock Radio 90.7 FM

https://soundcloud.com/rockradiouae/dc-interview-with-slash-on

Exclusive! Slash at Rock FM in Romania's show will be unique

http://www.rockfm.ro/stiri/3115/Exclusiv-Slash-la-Rock-FM-Show-ul-din-Romania-va-fi-unic--.html

9 things you need to know about Slash
The rise, fall and rebirth of the Dubai-bound ex-Guns N'Roses guitarist

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/nightlife/features/38332-9-things-you-need-to-know-about-slash#.URAGFKXomSp

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 09:09:39 PM »

Whatever the case, it's a good attitude for Slash to have, as opposed to Axl, who tells people not to ask him about Slash, and then keeps bringing him up himself in exceedingly negative manners.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: