Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 05:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Where do we go now
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where do we go now  (Read 109941 times)
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« on: July 16, 2013, 09:54:50 PM »

Just wanted to see what others think about "where do we go now?"

Personally I think the band needs a well deserved break. All the touring going back to the end of 09, the band has been on fire. Of course who doesn't want new music but I think they've earned a well deserve break

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 09:08:32 AM »

Dizzy is out playing shows with Hookers & Blow.

Bumblefoot is gonna do some shows with his KISS tribute band before heading over to this side of the Atlantic for shows and also guitar clinics in Greece in August.

Tommy has his Replacements shows coming up.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
hunter80
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »

Plan another Vegas residency, though it might be a bit soon. How about doing a tv special showing off the band? Small intimate setting with electric and acoustic sets? Release an EP with a couple new tunes and studio versions of the Seeker and Don't Let It Bring You Down?

11/8/02, 11/10/06, 11/11/06, 11/2/11, 12/13/11, 12/16/11, 12/27/11, 2/21/12, 11/3/12, 11/17/12, 11/24/12, 5/24/14, 5/25/14, 5/30/14, 5/31/14, 6/7/14, 4/9/16, 8/15/16, 11/17/17
crthiel
Headliner

Hello Time bomb

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 12:00:51 PM »

NEW MUSIC!

Get together in a studio and start writing some freaking songs already.  We had to wait how many years for CD?  Axl's not getting any younger.  New music! I'm dying for some new GnR.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »

If you had bet which would come first : new music or new dates?

hunter80
Headliner

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »

If you had bet which would come first : new music or new dates?

New dates. In all honesty that is a good thing. I remember seeing GNR in 2002 at the Tacoma Dome and wishing they would play live more often since as a Guns fan at that time we were used to not much activity. I got my wish. The abundance of concert dates and opportunities to travel is a blast.

11/8/02, 11/10/06, 11/11/06, 11/2/11, 12/13/11, 12/16/11, 12/27/11, 2/21/12, 11/3/12, 11/17/12, 11/24/12, 5/24/14, 5/25/14, 5/30/14, 5/31/14, 6/7/14, 4/9/16, 8/15/16, 11/17/17
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »

The abundance of concert dates and opportunities to travel is a blast.

That is ever so true. But travelling to somewhere only to hear pre-determined setlist. We want new songs or at least I do peace

Having said that new stuff in a gig is no good if you hear them the first time. You just can't get hold of it. Nothing has changed, new stuff and then plenty of dates after we've heard the songs repeteadly rant
Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 09:54:48 PM »

I am excited about the BBF Kiss tribute as well as Tommy's Replacements reunion.  That is one reunion I am excited for!!  ok
el_loko
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »

NEW MUSIC!

Get together in a studio and start writing some freaking songs already.  We had to wait how many years for CD?  Axl's not getting any younger.  New music! I'm dying for some new GnR.
Complaints, complaints, complaints...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »

The abundance of concert dates and opportunities to travel is a blast.

That is ever so true. But travelling to somewhere only to hear pre-determined setlist. We want new songs or at least I do peace

Having said that new stuff in a gig is no good if you hear them the first time. You just can't get hold of it. Nothing has changed, new stuff and then plenty of dates after we've heard the songs repeteadly rant

There's no recipe for pleasing everybody.

All this talk about new music being some kind of Swiss Army universal answer to make everybody happy doesn't really make sense to me.

Yes, it would be nice to have new material. Would it make shows more appealing for the masses? Probably not, the majority still goes to the shows to hear the hits. Play too many new songs and you have a happy hardcore group of fans, but the majority might say something like "they played a bunch of new songs".

Bans are out there playing their old albums in full. Start to finish. That's not exactly a set filled with surprises.... Doesn't make the show worse!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 03:31:13 PM »

I don't think you give 'casual' fans enough credit Jarmo.

People may not be queuing outside record stores these days but the release of a new GNR album is still big news to many, patricularly the rock community. Are you saying that if a new album contained songs as strong as sweet child of mine or paradise city people wouldn't want them to play it?

There are many bands I wouldn't consider myself as a 'hardcore fan' of but I've listened to their new albums and in some cases I've preferred listening to their new songs to hearing the same old hits time and time again. The fact is there plenty of 'casual' fans that enjoy progress, creativity and diversity in live shows and recordings.

Just my two cents..

Here today...ready to rock
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 03:48:43 PM »

There's a difference between casual fans and casual fans. Wink

Let me explain. There's people who will buy new albums by artists and go to shows. But they don't go on fan sites or "keep up" with news.

Then you have casual fans who like the songs they grew up with. They might not even know the artist has put out albums and/or changed members. They just go to a show to hear the songs from their youth. If they buy an album, it's probably just because they happen to see it on sale right in front of them.

So what I meant, for the second kind of music fans, new albums and songs in the sets aren't a "big" deal.

/jarmo

Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »

There's a difference between casual fans and casual fans. Wink

Let me explain. There's people who will buy new albums by artists and go to shows. But they don't go on fan sites or "keep up" with news.

Then you have casual fans who like the songs they grew up with. They might not even know the artist has put out albums and/or changed members. They just go to a show to hear the songs from their youth. If they buy an album, it's probably just because they happen to see it on sale right in front of them.

So what I meant, for the second kind of music fans, new albums and songs in the sets aren't a "big" deal.

/jarmo

Sure thing but I think there are more in the former category of casual fans than you think. Despite ridiculous facebook comments, I believe a lot of 'casual' fans want a new album and are keen to see Guns succeed. Who wouldn't? If GNR go that extra mile and return with a killer album I don't think they will have any problem playing new material with possibly a couple of the old hits thrown in for ear candy. No doubt about it. The problem is, in my opinion, I don't yet really feel the band is hungry (but thats a separate debate).

The 'nostalgia' approach, playing hits to a casual (in the latter definition) only works a few times in my opinion - concerts are very expensive these days and once you've seen a band that perhaps you never got chance to see in our youth the appetite (exscuse the pun) to see them again must fade.

There are some bands I would watch time and time again....however I would consider myself a 'hardcore' fan of these bands. But generally they also very eclectic and release a lot of material.

I think we've done well over the last few years - but certainly from my perspective I'd like to see the focus on a new album or ep before a new tour. Even better if there is one ready to go or a re-release as a double album.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »

Well yeah, it was a generalization.

There's a bunch of casual fans who don't keep up with the news, don't visit the fan sites but go see the artist every time they come to town. They might not travel to see the artist though.

It's kinda like going to the movies for them. Have a few beers, sing along to the hits, buy a t-shirt to remember the show and go home. Entertainment.

They probably don't know the names of all band members, even if the band never changed.
I didn't say there's not a whole lot of fans like this, I think they might be in the majority at shows. If it's a regular festival/arena show.

I do find it amusing when I read somebody complaining about a band playing new songs they didn't know. Those hits you know and love weren't known or hits the day they were released!  hihi
People weren't singing along to November Rain when the band started playing it.

This is true for any song at any show. People might love to hear U2 play One these days, but back in 1991 it was a new song too. Wink

As I've said, you can never please everybody. I'm sure back in the day people didn't wanna hear that long new song with Axl on piano either.  hihi

/jarmo

spgunner
Headliner

We begin by coveting what we see every day-Lecter

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 12:30:52 PM »

I remember a few fans from Brazil back in Rock in Rio II in 1991, complaining about Estranged, saying it was a strange song, no chorus, never ends, boring. In 2011, Estranged comes back on stage and it's the biggest event of the whole show if not of the whole festival !

Sao Paulo.12.10 n'12
Rio III.01.14
Brasilia.03.07
BH.03.10
SP.03.13
Rio.04.04
Rio IV.10.02
Buenos Aires.10.08
Asuncion.10.15
BH.03.22
SP.03.28
Curitiba.03.30
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 04:05:49 PM »

Gunners Only Proyects
Axl Vacations & Bussiness

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
dolphins
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 09:39:14 PM »

There's a bunch of casual fans who don't keep up with the news, don't visit the fan sites but go see the artist every time they come to town. They might not travel to see the artist though.

It's kinda like going to the movies for them. Have a few beers, sing along to the hits, buy a t-shirt to remember the show and go home. Entertainment.

They probably don't know the names of all band members, even if the band never changed.
I didn't say there's not a whole lot of fans like this, I think they might be in the majority at shows. If it's a regular festival/arena show.

I do find it amusing when I read somebody complaining about a band playing new songs they didn't know. Those hits you know and love weren't known or hits the day they were released!  hihi

This is true for any song at any show. People might love to hear U2 play One these days, but back in 1991 it was a new song too. Wink

As I've said, you can never please everybody. I'm sure back in the day people didn't wanna hear that long new song with Axl on piano either.  hihi

/jarmo

Agree with what you're saying but I got to know November Rain in around 1998/99 because it was played on the tv Sat & Sun mornings with an eye catching video to go along with it. So if it came on the radio I knew the song which is how a generation grew up getting to know songs.

I go back to the 70s where you didn't have MTV but got to know songs played on the radio which we constantly had on, bands put out lots of singles so by the time you got to a concert you knew most of the songs they played. What was gnr's last hit single? Are they still playing their songs on the radio in the US? They used to have the top 40 played every week which is also how you got to learn songs but don't know if they even have that any more.

I'd like to see them release more music videos but don't know if bands still do this, it was a great way to learn the songs & to either get to know the artists or watch your favourite bands on tv.

Times have certainly changed now though with computers and youtube etc but I'd love to see gnr put out music videos of any new music so by the time I get to another concert they won't be playing 'new' songs I've never heard.

Just my thoughts, others might have better ideas on getting to know new music before going to a concert so it's not a song you've never heard before.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »

/jarmo

Agree with what you're saying but I got to know November Rain in around 1998/99 because it was played on the tv Sat & Sun mornings with an eye catching video to go along with it. So if it came on the radio I knew the song which is how a generation grew up getting to know songs.

I go back to the 70s where you didn't have MTV but got to know songs played on the radio which we constantly had on, bands put out lots of singles so by the time you got to a concert you knew most of the songs they played. What was gnr's last hit single? Are they still playing their songs on the radio in the US? They used to have the top 40 played every week which is also how you got to learn songs but don't know if they even have that any more.

I'd like to see them release more music videos but don't know if bands still do this, it was a great way to learn the songs & to either get to know the artists or watch your favourite bands on tv.

Times have certainly changed now though with computers and youtube etc but I'd love to see gnr put out music videos of any new music so by the time I get to another concert they won't be playing 'new' songs I've never heard.

Just my thoughts, others might have better ideas on getting to know new music before going to a concert so it's not a song you've never heard before.

I've seen some really cool Music Videos recenntly. As daft and outlandish as some of them are I miss them.

I'm also pretty sure that the cost of producing a really cool video is much less than it used to be.

So I agree I'd love to see some music videos from GNR.

crthiel
Headliner

Hello Time bomb

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

NEW MUSIC!

Complaints, complaints, complaints...

Complaints?  All I want is some new music from my favorite band.  Hardly complaining.  If they wanted to tour some more, I'd go see them in a heartbeat but I'd rather have new music first.  Jarmo started the discussion by asking where do we go from here?  Well, new music is my answer.  So politely go fuck yourself.
dolphins
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 08:56:05 PM »

Pity they can't clone themselves several times over, then we could have one group touring, one group in the studio and one group resting at home for a change.

Problem solved, something for everybody.  yes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: