Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 03:19:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Zero to Hero sound familiar?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zero to Hero sound familiar?  (Read 4880 times)
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« on: August 31, 2013, 09:30:31 PM »

For a bit of GN'R influence check out Black Sabbath's 1983 obscurity Zero to Hero.
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 02:52:01 AM »

Ah yeah.. Paradise City, I stumbled on this a few weeks ago aswell, showed some other examples aswell like the chorus coming from a Hanoi Rocks song

I think Slash had this riff subconciously in his mind somewhere and eventually the PC riff came out Cool
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 03:15:18 AM »

Ah yeah.. Paradise City, I stumbled on this a few weeks ago aswell, showed some other examples aswell like the chorus coming from a Hanoi Rocks song

I think Slash had this riff subconciously in his mind somewhere and eventually the PC riff came out Cool

Which Hanoi-song?

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:37:25 AM »

Lost In The City

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_City
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 08:00:44 AM »

Aha. Never thought about that, but they are sound kinda similar. Cool "fun fact". I don't think it's negative that bands borrow riffs of eachother. Andy mccoy is known for that himself:)

But isn't Duff the one who came up with the chorus riff on PC? I believe Izzy and Axl were the two most influenced by Hanoi, so it may be coincident?

IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 08:20:07 AM »

http://www.a-4-d.com/t77-paradise-city

^ Song info

But Zero To Hero sounds more of an influence on Paradise City then Lost In The City in my opinion.. Lost In The City is a pretty far stretched, sounds more like co?ncidence.

Either way I doubt Paradise City (or any other GN'R songs) have parts that were consciously ripped from other songs.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »

Also check out Hanoi Rocks Cheyenne, that's Don't Cry right there. But as always Guns took that whole thing to another level, but still cool none the less.  Cool
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »

Either way I doubt Paradise City (or any other GN'R songs) have parts that were consciously ripped from other songs.

Me too. But it's unavoidable in the length that one can find similarities between songs in the same genre.

Also check out Hanoi Rocks Cheyenne, that's Don't Cry right there. But as always Guns took that whole thing to another level, but still cool none the less.  Cool

The cheyenne intro has the same chords indeed. But I don't believe that's been done with purpuse either...

Anyway, fun to see how much theese bands have in common👍

IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »

Ah nice find! Looks like the Cheyenne was definetly the inspiration for Don't Cry... funny cause besides the obvious chords and note patterns the hiss at 0:29 and that bending note at 0:33 also reminds me immediately of similar sounds in Don't Cry. Funny to hear this Cheesy
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »

Hanoia Rocks-Underwater World..
Welcome to the ocean / Welcome to the sea, yeah / Welcome to the jungle / Deep inside of me, yeah / Sink or swim, you dive right in / And you know this ain't no ...
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »

Ah nice find! Looks like the Cheyenne was definetly the inspiration for Don't Cry... funny cause besides the obvious chords and note patterns the hiss at 0:29 and that bending note at 0:33 also reminds me immediately of similar sounds in Don't Cry. Funny to hear this Cheesy
Yeah totally, and it's more than just the chords westcoast_junkie, it's all the vocals, little bends and whoo's as well. I think it's cool how blatant it is how GN'R were inspired by Hanoi, and I remember reading how Axl and Izzy always used to buy clothes that made them look like them too.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »

Would be a cool question if theres ever a q&a again. Maybe you're right oneinamillion.

AXL DEMOCRACY
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 11:07:02 PM »

Cool topic.
I always thought the beginning of "It's So Easy" sounds like "Liar" by Sex Pistols.

"The art comes first.  It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically." - W. Axl Rose
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 12:29:54 AM »

Cool topic.
I always thought the beginning of "It's So Easy" sounds like "Liar" by Sex Pistols.

Yeah! And Sucker Train Blues intro a bit

Like Axl mentioned, Dust N' Bones reminded him of Paul Revere's Cherokee People..

It's not so really the notes, but the rhythm does look like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoRa-S8mckI

A bit off-topic, but listen to Loaded's No Shame:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hwlw1F8cy4

And then The Bravery's Time Won't Let Me Go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spKOib_D5YY

There's a also a song out there which sounds almost exactly, note for note, like VR's Dirty Thing.. VR even got suited for it (and lost because the other song was recorded a few years earlier). Appearantly that guy from Buckcherry wrote the song for VR, but got inspired by that other band for it.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 03:42:06 AM »

I'm sure I heard somewhere that VR had to pay royalties to the band who they ripped "Dirty Little Thing" off. Something like how they had no choice as it was more than coincidence it was similar, as they also copied the drum fill as well?... sure I heard that.
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »

I'm sure I heard somewhere that VR had to pay royalties to the band who they ripped "Dirty Little Thing" off. Something like how they had no choice as it was more than coincidence it was similar, as they also copied the drum fill as well?... sure I heard that.

Yeah band Dirty Deeds with the song Cyber Babe

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/velvet-revolver-settles-plagiarism-claim-out-of-court-awards-uk-songwriter-share-of-hit
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: