Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:34:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227941 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast  (Read 39547 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: March 07, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »

Primus, Tom Waits, Guns N Roses, Praxis - Brain's worked with all of them (he was a member of GNR for 6 years). He talks about the aforementioned as well as what he's been up to recently - Composing for film. He also tells some great Buckethead stories. Great hang. Recorded in Venice Beach, California February 2015

Listen: http://idhitthatpodcast.podomatic.com/entry/2015-03-03T09_15_15-08_00

Source: http://idhitthatpodcast.podomatic.com/

He talks about coming to the realization that he doesn't wanna keep touring forever and started learning using computers.

From 38:30 on he talks about Buckethead ("he was talking with a puppet" [the host and Brain laugh]), introducing him to people, how he got involved with GN'R.

Talking about Buckethead in GN'R:
"What wore out the managers. There's millions of Dollars on the line, and they're [managers] talking to a fucking puppet. So finally, he just went MIA, and the only way to get a hold of him was through me. And it was kinda fun. I mean, at that point I was like "Oh, ok, to get a hold of the main guy keeping it together, Slash's replacement, was to go through me. I kinda felt like a big cock, you know... Whatever."

Later on "He kinda got off on that, that it wore everybody out and that I was together enough to speak for him."

He says Buckehead probably did this to protect himself.

"You couldn't get a hold of him for a month. We're going tour coming, is he coming? I don't know if he's gonna show up."

Says Buckethead would go MIA, and nobody knew where he was.

---

"He signed his contract with Axl at Disneyland."

"Even at rehearsal, he had the mask on. Nobody ever saw him."

And Axl loved it?
"Yeah. I mean. How could you not love it? That was... It was awesome. It was the greatest. Every time was like what mask is he gonna walk in this time?"

"That was his thing"

After the 1:00:00 mark Brain says Josh recommended Buckethead to GN'R. Ozzy Osbourne had already been interested in hiring Buckethead, but it didn't happen for some reason.
At that point Primus was ending, so Brain was available when Josh left.

Brain was not sure if he was into rock music at that point.

Axl invited Brain to come and meet everybody.
He's flown down First Class and driven to the studio in a nice car, he meets Axl there ("he was super cool"). Three months later, Tommy calls him and invites him down to L.A. again to jam.

They jam and Brain says he sucked because he didn't know any of the songs. Then he realizes he'll look like a douche for not learning them and he asked Tommy for a day to learn them.
He comes back and gets a new drum set up. Stayed up all night to learn the songs.

"Then I felt like this is the real deal"

He says he listened to Appetite "this is a well crafted album"

He talks about rehearsing for Rock In Rio and how they did a whole set with pyro and confetti so Axl could see the show.

He says Axl was always good to him.

Brain said he left when his kid was born, he didn't wanna tour anymore and wanted to focus on composing.

He says he hasn't talked to Buckethead for two years.

Talking about recording a song.

"Axl knows his shit".

Brain replays the part of a song, Axl listens to the recording of the song and notices that Brain had missed a kick drum compared to an earlier take.

"I was like Wow! He caught that!"

/jarmo

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:26:50 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 12:20:52 PM »

Interesting insight , also I think it gives great credence to the fact that Axl indeed was always completely involved with the band and that not all is as it seems when people blame Axl for such and such, great find, gave me a clearer picture of a period of time that was more not readily known. Thanks!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 03:45:42 PM »

Buckethead was clearly not the the right fit for GNR. Managers talking with a puppet?Huh? WTF.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »

Buckethead was clearly not the the right fit for GNR. Managers talking with a puppet?Huh? WTF.

I must say it was quite hilarious envisioning the absurdity of the situation that Brain described. "Theres millions of dollars on the line, and here you have managers trying to do a negotiation with a puppet".

Brain's account of what happened kind of backs up the reasoning Axl had for canceling Rock in Rio in 2004. Buckethead being MIA for months at the time, with no means to contact him. Too bad really, I liked Bucket's guitar playing in Guns.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 04:49:41 PM »

Interesting insight , also I think it gives great credence to the fact that Axl indeed was always completely involved with the band and that not all is as it seems when people blame Axl for such and such, great find, gave me a clearer picture of a period of time that was more not readily known. Thanks!

100 percent.. Very insightful. You can't help but chuckle about this while interview ...

Bucket head sounds like a special guy ...

Between his puppets and axl showing up for rehearsals at 4 am ... They were destined for greatness!

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 05:14:32 PM »

Remember this?

During his tenure with the band Buckethead has been inconsistent and erratic in both his behavior and commitment - despite being under contract - creating uncertainty and confusion and making it virtually impossible to move forward with recording, rehearsals and live plans with confidence. His transient lifestyle has made it impossible for even his closest friends to have nearly any form of communication with him whatsoever. Last time I talked to Bucket, he called to tell me he had bought a bootleg DVD off EBay and how proud he was to be in Guns and how impressed he was with everyone's performance. Then, in February we got word from Brain that Bucket had called him and said he was back in Guns!? Apparently, according to Bucket he had been "Gone" but had turned himself around and was really excited to do Rio-Lisbon and a European tour. Somewhere in the following month things changed once again. According to those who have actually spoken with Buckethead it appears his plans were to secure a recording contract with Sanctuary Records which I encouraged my management to make available to him, quit GN'R and to use his involvement in the upcoming Guns release to immediately promote his individual efforts...Nice guy!

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=997

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 05:28:37 PM »

Remember this?

During his tenure with the band Buckethead has been inconsistent and erratic in both his behavior and commitment - despite being under contract - creating uncertainty and confusion and making it virtually impossible to move forward with recording, rehearsals and live plans with confidence. His transient lifestyle has made it impossible for even his closest friends to have nearly any form of communication with him whatsoever. Last time I talked to Bucket, he called to tell me he had bought a bootleg DVD off EBay and how proud he was to be in Guns and how impressed he was with everyone's performance. Then, in February we got word from Brain that Bucket had called him and said he was back in Guns!? Apparently, according to Bucket he had been "Gone" but had turned himself around and was really excited to do Rio-Lisbon and a European tour. Somewhere in the following month things changed once again. According to those who have actually spoken with Buckethead it appears his plans were to secure a recording contract with Sanctuary Records which I encouraged my management to make available to him, quit GN'R and to use his involvement in the upcoming Guns release to immediately promote his individual efforts...Nice guy!

/jarmo

This sure was a,weird time for guns

I wish things would of worked out better with bucket and guns   I really think if he had stuck around we may of seen the album come out a little sooner.  And well would of had some great tours.  If not a great rio concert
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 05:34:03 PM »

Yeah, I think Axl needed to draw a line between the business side and the creative side of Buckethead. One of those just didn't work out with Guns.

It's quite sad actually, because I think Bucket brought out some good creative stuff in Axl. It's probably also why Axl said in recent times that he would still love to do something with Bucket, he gets a kick out of him. I just don't think it would ever work as a full-time thing, which the previous stint kinda proved.

Not exactly the same, but I think the relationship could be compared to Axl/Izzy.

Sweetness is a virtue
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 07:12:34 PM »

Buckethead was a great guitarist for GN'R. I mean he and Robin had created most of the lead guitar parts on CD. So sad that his membership only lasted for five years.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
mortismurphy
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 08:05:28 PM »

I think I am listening to a different interview from the one transcribed up there.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 08:10:19 PM »

I think I am listening to a different interview from the one transcribed up there.

How so?

Sweetness is a virtue
mortismurphy
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 08:20:17 PM »

How so?

The transcript omits most of the juicy soap opera details. Quoting from memory (so do not accuse me if I have not got the statements word for word), ''Freese quits because he is bored sitting around for 3 years''. Brain himself quits because he is sick of the concert delays, ''Axl having a fuckin back massage while a riot happens''. The crazy story of how Chinese was being recorded? Feeding tapes between them and pizza delivery boy (why wasn't Axl in the studio with them)? The total chaos of Rio 3 rehearsals.

It is a wonderful interview, it really is, but the picture that emerges is complete chaos and confusion.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 08:25:29 PM »

Yeah, well.. I don't think it was Jarmo's intention to bring the emotion of the interview with his bullet points. I think he summed up the interview pretty well.

But yeah, the interview is of course better if you listen to it and get all the details.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 10:11:28 PM »

How so?

The transcript omits most of the juicy soap opera details. Quoting from memory (so do not accuse me if I have not got the statements word for word), ''Freese quits because he is bored sitting around for 3 years''. Brain himself quits because he is sick of the concert delays, ''Axl having a fuckin back massage while a riot happens''. The crazy story of how Chinese was being recorded? Feeding tapes between them and pizza delivery boy (why wasn't Axl in the studio with them)? The total chaos of Rio 3 rehearsals.

It is a wonderful interview, it really is, but the picture that emerges is complete chaos and confusion.

Thanks for posting this.  I will actually listen to this interview now, where as before I wouldn't have

The whole story of the making of the album CD is something that really intreages me.  I would love for a book to come out about the whole process
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 10:40:37 PM »

How so?

Thanks for posting this.  I will actually listen to this interview now, where as before I wouldn't have

The whole story of the making of the album CD is something that really intreages me.  I would love for a book to come out about the whole process

It's really nothing new in the interview about the recording of Chinese except the detail about working on a song for two weeks and then sending a tape to Axl.

But I'm with you, I hope we'll get a lot more details about that process at some point. A book would've been great. Brain actually said that he thinks every member who's been in Guns probably has enough stories to write a book.

Sweetness is a virtue
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 11:43:56 PM »

Remember this?

/jarmo

Great point, Brain's latest interview confirms every word (to those that doubt every word )

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
mortismurphy
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 11:48:48 PM »

How so?

It's really nothing new in the interview about the recording of Chinese except the detail about working on a song for two weeks and then sending a tape to Axl.

But I'm with you, I hope we'll get a lot more details about that process at some point. A book would've been great. Brain actually said that he thinks every member who's been in Guns probably has enough stories to write a book.

But that is about as good a revelation about that album, as any we get.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 11:53:26 PM »

How so?

Hardly a "revelation". hihi

It's a pretty commonly known fact that GNR sends songs, and pieces of songs back and forth to work on, they did it for the Illusions as well.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 11:55:06 PM »

How so?

Yeah, the point was that TheBaconman wasn't gonna listen to the interview based on the transcript Jarmo gave. That revelation was included in his transcript, and was basically the only new thing about the recording of Chinese.

Sweetness is a virtue
mortismurphy
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 12:06:21 AM »

There is a bit about them recording about The Village in Sonica Monica also. It is a snippet anyhow.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: