Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 11:24:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228010 Posts in 43257 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast  (Read 39956 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #220 on: March 11, 2015, 03:39:09 PM »

Shit, it seems like you read things and either don't understand them or ignore what's said.

Perhaps I'm just not as willing an audience.

And perhaps too willing to think a few steps ahead.  Or, at all.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
mortismurphy
« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2015, 07:02:09 PM »

Jesus, Jarmo, it was a stylistic choice. I have already explained that I find 'anxious' too timid a term. 'Riotous', to me, seems more appropriate for a Guns N' Roses crowd 'going crazy', at 12:30 in the morning waiting for Axl to arrive. If it was an opera crowd and the overture was delayed by thirty minutes, I might be tempted by the word 'anxious'. Neither term are incorrect. I chose one, you prefer the other.

OH, COME ON! It was an intentionally inflamative choice, with an intentionally negative connotation. It wasn't stylistic. It was meant to invoke flashbacks to previous RIOTS at GnR shows. Period.

Just fucking own it, already. Jesus....

Absolute rubbish. It is a perfectly apt word as demonstrated by my dictionary quotation and I am perfectly entitled to use it. 'Riotous'? A word so controversial it sends HTGTH in an uproar lol!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2015, 07:19:37 PM »

Yeah, you're right. Thinking and you don't mix.  Smiley

'Riotous'? A word so controversial it sends HTGTH in an uproar lol!!

You think too highly of the effect you have on this board.   Kiss

If it was anybody else, it would probably be true.
Now it was you, just a funny coincidence that somebody who's celebrating Festivus with Airing of Grievances 365 days of the year uses the word? Right.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #223 on: March 11, 2015, 07:28:57 PM »

Yeah, you're right. Thinking and you don't mix.  Smiley

'Riotous'? A word so controversial it sends HTGTH in an uproar lol!!

You think too highly of the effect you have on this board.   Kiss

If it was anybody else, it would probably be true.
Now it was you, just a funny coincidence that somebody who's celebrating Festivus with Airing of Grievances 365 days of the year uses the word? Right.

/jarmo

I did not give the word a second though when typing it. (I might have opted for 'turbulent', but I suppose that would have upset HTGTH also?) The reaction here has been completely over the top. To repeat, 'riotous': ''unrestrained: loud, conspicuous, and unrestrained'' - yes, I have no problems with the usage of the word in that context. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #224 on: March 11, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »

I think the point pilferk made, at least, the one I made, is that you use a word automatically that fits your agenda/image of GN'R.

You think a certain way of GN'R, in that sense your choice of word is logical.

Everything has a reason.
Simple as that.

Just like asking somebody who never liked GN'R to write a gig or album review. The starting point isn't at the same place where somebody who loves the band starts from.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #225 on: March 11, 2015, 08:02:35 PM »

I think the point pilferk made, at least, the one I made, is that you use a word automatically that fits your agenda/image of GN'R.

You think a certain way of GN'R, in that sense your choice of word is logical.

Everything has a reason.
Simple as that.

Just like asking somebody who never liked GN'R to write a gig or album review. The starting point isn't at the same place where somebody who loves the band starts from.

/jarmo

''Unrestrained: loud, conspicuous'' to describe a crowd before the arrival of a late Axl Rose. Just, what is your problem with the term?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #226 on: March 11, 2015, 08:09:54 PM »

We've explained it to you numerous times already.
Not exactly shocked that somebody who's shown little support for GN'R here, would use a word that starts with riot.

/jarmo

mortismurphy
« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2015, 08:15:09 PM »

We've explained it to you numerous times already.
Not exactly shocked that somebody who's shown little support for GN'R here, would use a word that starts with riot.

/jarmo

Well, Axl is not exactly an angel on this front. Axl incited riots read like a regimental battle roll call,

St Louis 91
Montreal 92
Vancouver 02
Philadelphia 02

Then there are the numerous other temper tantrums (Chile 92), shortened shows (Newcastle 06), incidents (Dublin 2010) and late arrivals.

In light of the evidence, should usage of 'riotous' be so surprising?
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2015, 10:03:20 PM »

shortened shows? really? A short show is a long one.......here we go with the setlist argument Jarmo. ok

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
mortismurphy
« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2015, 10:53:54 PM »

shortened shows? really? A short show is a long one.......here we go with the setlist argument Jarmo. ok

Well I certainly do not want that argument! It is Jarmo insisting pursuing this absurd controversy over the wholly innocuous adjective 'riotous'. Considering Axl is no stranger to 'riots', it does not seem that an inappropriate term. Although that was not really my illustration with the original use of the term, I am trying to establish just why it is so offensive to the semantics here!
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2015, 02:53:01 AM »

message for mortismurphy; "I can see you typing away, you think you're so smart - why don't ya just

FUCK 0FF[/b]

you and your moaning is boring
mortismurphy
« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2015, 03:25:07 AM »

message for mortismurphy; "I can see you typing away, you think you're so smart - why don't ya just

FUCK 0FF[/b]

you and your moaning is boring

Thanks.

Based on the picture, this is a message I can presume comes from W. Axl Rose himself (of a certain vintage)?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:19:06 AM by mortismurphy » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2015, 07:03:08 AM »

Is that why people kept leaving the band?  Because that release was coming either way?

Various reasons, some of them inactivity, over many years.

Look, I get Azoff is on the Antichrist list because he suggested what any remotely competent manager would suggest to Axl.

1) Not the Antichrist
2) A bit more than a "suggest to Axl", by all accounts
3) A "remotely competent" manager knows his client well enough to know what is, and isn't, off limits
4) A "remotely competent" manager is above board with his client in all his dealings
5) A "remotely competent" manager doesn't abandon his clients, in their hour of need essentially, to concentrate on, and further, their new corporate career.

There was a LOT more about Azoff than simply the reunion suggestion that made him a poor manager

But we were nowhere on getting that album out before him.  Axl had been diddling for YEARS.

Maybe so.  My comment was more in line with Azoff making the best buy deal being the impetus for the album coming out.  I think the album was ready, and THEN the best buy deal was made.  How much Azoff had to do with getting the album out (and not just being "right place/right time") we can debate.

So shit on the guy if you want, and I'm not going to go all out lauding him as some great man.  But he succeeded for us where countless other failed.

He was at the helm when it occurred.  Some of the documentation filed in the Axl/Azoff lawsuit calls into question (and not just the stuff Axl filed) how much he actually had to do with encouraging it's release.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #233 on: March 12, 2015, 07:04:54 AM »

I might be mistaken, but I think the recording sessions had ended a couple of months before Azoff was hired. They were already in release talks with the record company when he arrived.

Correct. At least according to a lot of the documentation filed as part of the Axl/Azoff lawsuit.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #234 on: March 12, 2015, 07:07:29 AM »

So think of it like a Governor or a President with job numbers.  You get credit when things are good, and take heat when they are bad. 

Nope.  Sorry, that just doesn't apply.

You're saying the guy wasn't all bad, in one breath, because he basically was in the right place at the right time.

The best buy deal was a good deal, financially.  Credit where it's due. It's probably the best distribution deal they could have made (though it came with it's own challenges).

But, like I said (and you objected to)..the album was coming out, Azoff or no.  Thus...meh.

Together again,
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #235 on: March 12, 2015, 07:08:12 AM »

Shouldnt this thread be at the Ex gunners section?

Brain made pretty clear in this interview that he is out of the band.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2015, 07:10:30 AM »

I'm not putting Azoff up for sainthood, but he does deserve some credit.  He's a guy with a lot of clout in the business that gets shit done.

He was and is a guy, at that point, living on past laurels.

He did get a good deal done.

But he's also widely regarded as a snake and an asshole in the industry.  And that was only furthered by his (unsuccessful) run with LiveNation and TM.

I think you're giving him WAY too much credit.  He deserves a bit, for that one deal.

He deserves FAR more shade for some of the other shenanigans he pulled.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #237 on: March 12, 2015, 07:12:51 AM »

Maybe I make too much out of this, but I will never get over the whole "13 Tuesday lefts / it could just show up in the store" debacle.

Just such a preposterous statement to make for a manager of a big time band.

I think the "Merck vs Azoff" debate is seperate from the conversation we're having here.  Was Azoff better than Merck? Maybe.  I'm not sure that's high praise, given some of the debacles Merck presided over.

And...Merck was a great guy.  He truly cared about the band.  I just think he might have been out of his depth at that place and at that time with GnR.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #238 on: March 12, 2015, 07:17:24 AM »

Absolute rubbish. It is a perfectly apt word as demonstrated by my dictionary quotation and I am perfectly entitled to use it. 'Riotous'? A word so controversial it sends HTGTH in an uproar lol!!

You're wallowing in so much BS...I'm almost willing to get you a shovel.

Everyone reading what you wrote knows why you chose the word.  You can "play dumb" all you want...but it just detracts from any point you're making.

You have the same MO.  You make an inflamatory, or less than apt word choice, and then go to the dictionary to try to justify it's use (knowing, full well, the actual reasoning in play).

Is it semantically apt? Sure..but the word was chosen for a specific purpose...to inflame and incite.  Period.

If you won't own it...great.  It just continues to color your continued participation in the discussions here. Honestly, I'm at the point where it's time to realize that nothing you say should be taken seriously.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:21:54 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2015, 07:18:40 AM »

I did not give the word a second though when typing it. (I might have opted for 'turbulent', but I suppose that would have upset HTGTH also?) The reaction here has been completely over the top. To repeat, 'riotous': ''unrestrained: loud, conspicuous, and unrestrained'' - yes, I have no problems with the usage of the word in that context. 

Really? I thought it was a "stylistic choice"?

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: