Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:47:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast  (Read 40061 times)
mortismurphy
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2015, 04:18:44 PM »

He goes on about his frustration with the gig delays at length and even makes a joke at Axl's expense (about Axl having a back massage while a crowd went riotous). I have not got time to transcribe these sections but it is all there in the interview. Listen to it. Basically, Jarmo has omitted all of the juicy anecdotes and humour in his transcription and produced a tame boring summary consisting of platitudes. In reality, the interview is 'gossipy'. Brain and the interviewer are basically laughing at the craziness and bullshit, that is new gnr. It is full of talking points and revelations. As I said, listen to it.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »

He goes on about his frustration with the gig delays at length and even makes a joke at Axl's expense (about Axl having a back massage while a crowd went riotous). I have not got time to transcribe these sections but it is all there in the interview. Listen to it. Basically, Jarmo has omitted all of the juicy anecdotes and humour in his transcription and produced a tame boring summary consisting of platitudes. In reality, the interview is 'gossipy'. Brain and the interviewer are basically laughing at the craziness and bullshit, that is new gnr. It is full of talking points and revelations. As I said, listen to it.

C'mon, man.  You know the deal.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2015, 04:29:52 PM »

I find this entire time period equal parts fascinating/depressing.  So much music was (allegedly) created during a period of time that was (arguably) very unstructured and chaotic.  These interviews shed light on the mystery surrounding the making of CD.  It's depressing (not in a "I'm on the ledge" type depressing) but depressing in the sense that this chaotic environment, which maybe helped them create the music, was unsustainable, and that the inactivity (or artistic integrity) led to its breakup.  It's fascinating that anything ultimately got released (plus the Bucket and APC stories).   

Really?  Equal parts?  That's interesting.  I'd have pegged you differently, frankly.

I would think that there would be an almost exact inverse proportion of people finding this all "fascinating" and "interesting" to the number of people that considered this a huge clusterfuck that had little hope of success and no real sustainable way to run a professional operation.  I really didn't figure there was much crossover there.  I would think you are in one camp or the other.

I would think it only retains the "fascinating" and "interesting" labels if the payoff was far more than we got.  One album and another one that maybe, someday, perhaps, if things break right, but don't stay up nights waiting for it...comes out? 

Right now, is all that really all that compelling for 14 songs in 14 years?

Yeah, that may be a bit confusing.  Let me try and clarify.

Fascinating in the sense that a car crash is fascinating.  It?s interesting in that it?s completely unbelievable, but then you hear multiple stories about chicken coops and puppets, and you think, ?holy shit, that was really going on.?  Management negotiated with a puppet!  Axl took Bucket to Disneyland, etc.  I find that stuff fascinating.  To me, it makes anyone that tries to explain this time period away as no big deal, just another band reforming and working on music, not really credible.  No other band had this sort of shit going on.

The depressing part speaks for itself really. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2015, 04:36:52 PM »

Fascinating in the sense that a car crash is fascinating.  It?s interesting in that it?s completely unbelievable, but then you hear multiple stories about chicken coops and puppets, and you think, ?holy shit, that was really going on.?  Management negotiated with a puppet!  Axl took Bucket to Disneyland, etc.  I find that stuff fascinating.  To me, it makes anyone that tries to explain this time period away as no big deal, just another band reforming and working on music, not really credible.  No other band had this sort of shit going on.

Ah.  Yes, that makes more sense.

I could buy into how "fascinating" and "interesting" it was if the payoff was far greater.  Not that I consider Baz much of an authority on anything, but just for example's sake, let's suppose his quote about Axl wanting to release a trilogy was real world.  I think that would then cast this all in a VERY different light.

If they were able to say, look, this shit took like 7 years to put together.  Sometimes it was really cool, other times it was frustrating, and a good bit of the time it was ridiculous.  But in the end, you got 3 albums out of it.  You can see the fruits of our labor.  We are proud of what we did and stand behind it.

That sort of thing.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2015, 04:49:06 PM »

If they were able to say, look, this shit took like 7 years to put together.  Sometimes it was really cool, other times it was frustrating, and a good bit of the time it was ridiculous.  But in the end, you got 3 albums out of it.  You can see the fruits of our labor.  We are proud of what we did and stand behind it.

Let's hope this still happens. Richard and Dj still says that's the amount of material that they got from those sessions.

Some of the band members aren't in the band anymore, but I think it would be good for them to get to see/hear people's reactions to their material.

Yeah, I know some people don't believe that the material exists, but Tommy was pretty specific with the number of songs remaining from the Chinese recording period, 22.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2015, 04:54:24 PM »

Let's hope this still happens. Richard and Dj still says that's the amount of material that they got from those sessions.

Some of the band members aren't in the band anymore, but I think it would be good for them to get to see/hear people's reactions to their material.

Yeah, I know some people don't believe that the material exists, but Tommy was pretty specific with the number of songs remaining from the Chinese recording period, 22.

I'd say more people believe it exists but won't come out for whatever reason than there are people that believe it flat out does not exist.

Like a few of them have said, a few different times...we didn't spend all that time in the studio doing nothing.  I absolutely believe that to be the case.

If I had to put a figure on it, I would say there is at least another album of finished material, maybe and album and a half.  Not sure I buy there are 2 more full albums.

Speaking as a betting man, I'd say getting 1 more is a longshot, but possible.  2 more is Loch Ness Monster territory.  Forget about that.

Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2015, 05:02:07 PM »

Some of the band members aren't in the band anymore,
but I think it would be good for them to get to see/hear people's reactions to their material.

Some of the members weren't in the band anymore when Chinese Democracy was released in November 2008.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2015, 05:10:18 PM »

If I had to put a figure on it, I would say there is at least another album of finished material, maybe and album and a half.  Not sure I buy there are 2 more full albums.

If there are indeed 22 songs ready, it all depends on how you want to divide that between albums.

Axl said 1 album is done, so that could mean a number of things. If he would like to have 14-16 songs on that album, there's pretty much half an album left. If he has say 11 songs ready to go on 1 album and the other 11 still need some tweaking, that's 1 album done and 1 almost done.

Bottom line, I just hope we'll get to hear the rest of the songs they recorded during that period. If it's on stand-alone albums or sprinkled in with songs written by the current line-up is not important.

Speaking as a betting man, I'd say getting 1 more is a longshot, but possible.  2 more is Loch Ness Monster territory.  Forget about that.

There's been recent sightings of Nessie...  ok

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2015, 05:35:47 PM »

He goes on about his frustration with the gig delays at length and even makes a joke at Axl's expense (about Axl having a back massage while a crowd went riotous).

Riotous? Is that from your memory again? We all know how well you remember things and then post them as facts.

I have not got time to transcribe these sections but it is all there in the interview. Listen to it.

Of course you don't. I gave you direct quotes and you still argue about them meaning something else.
Spin Master Mortis in the house!

Who here is shocked by the "revelations" that they spent a certain amount of time in the studio recording? Really, this is news to you?
I'm sorry that you didn't know this. If I was aware that this is such a revelation, maybe I would've focused on repeating this instead of the actual new bits!

Edited to add:
Here's a  Tommy interview about the recording: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=174

So, does this mean you didn't like the band back in 2001 either then? Cheesy
Just checking.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 05:49:45 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2015, 06:10:33 PM »

I find this entire time period equal parts fascinating/depressing.  So much music was (allegedly) created during a period of time that was (arguably) very unstructured and chaotic.  These interviews shed light on the mystery surrounding the making of CD.  It's depressing (not in a "I'm on the ledge" type depressing) but depressing in the sense that this chaotic environment, which maybe helped them create the music, was unsustainable, and that the inactivity (or artistic integrity) led to its breakup.  It's fascinating that anything ultimately got released (plus the Bucket and APC stories).   

Really?  Equal parts?  That's interesting.  I'd have pegged you differently, frankly.

I would think that there would be an almost exact inverse proportion of people finding this all "fascinating" and "interesting" to the number of people that considered this a huge clusterfuck that had little hope of success and no real sustainable way to run a professional operation.  I really didn't figure there was much crossover there.  I would think you are in one camp or the other.

I would think it only retains the "fascinating" and "interesting" labels if the payoff was far more than we got.  One album and another one that maybe, someday, perhaps, if things break right, but don't stay up nights waiting for it...comes out? 

I am pretty happy with how the album CD turned out.  It gave me a couple of great songs that I would included in a guns n roses all time great list

So you are now not happy with the album?  Or just not satisfied with how the album didnt set all time record sales in the United states?  Or what about the years of touring after the album came out?  Where u not a fan of satisfied with them? 

I can be picky and critical of things I want to see in guns.  I may want to change the set lists or wish for new material. But what I got were some great live concerts to see live in support of this album.  And then I also got a pretty good album with a couple of great songs on it

I am very satisfied with the end product which came out of these years of recordong.   But just like being with a hot 19 year old blonde. Even when I am satisfied   I still want more

The forming of APC during these years is quite the story.  Guns guitar tech formed APC and there debute album may be more highly regarded and may have sold more than CD did

The whole song writting process has really never been done before.  By putting a bunch of highly regarded musicians in a studio and saying.  Ok write a album.....    Then ok I like what u did on that song, but I would like this solo in there and this drum line instead.   From this other song you guys wrote.   Crazy stuff

Then you have Buckethead.  Who is just a nut and I love reading anything that has to do with the guy

The story of the making of CD needs to be put into like a coffee table book.  Mb Kramer could write it
mortismurphy
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2015, 07:02:49 PM »

He goes on about his frustration with the gig delays at length and even makes a joke at Axl's expense (about Axl having a back massage while a crowd went riotous).

Riotous? Is that from your memory again? We all know how well you remember things and then post them as facts.

Are you really going to force me to transcribe it Jarmo? The results are not going to be pretty? It might even contain - SHOCK HORROR - a joke at Axl's expense!!

Of course you don't. I gave you direct quotes and you still argue about them meaning something else.
Spin Master Mortis in the house!

Haven't spun a thing.

FACT. Brain talks about his frustrations at Axl's delays at concert.

Case closed.

Who here is shocked by the "revelations" that they spent a certain amount of time in the studio recording? Really, this is news to you?
I'm sorry that you didn't know this. If I was aware that this is such a revelation, maybe I would've focused on repeating this instead of the actual new bits!

I found it more interesting, the method of how they recorded. The story of, 30 minute tapes being sent off at intervals was new to me. Is there anyone in here who knew this story previously? No. Didn't think so. The story of the Rio 3 rehearsal was also new to me although I knew Axl hadn't rehearsed for that particular show. Anyone know this story before, the story of Axl insisting the band play in the morning with full pyrotechnics? No, didn't think so. Case closed.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2015, 07:19:11 PM »

Are you really going to force me to transcribe it Jarmo? The results are not going to be pretty? It might even contain - SHOCK HORROR - a joke at Axl's expense!!

Yes!

Go ahead. I know what he said. I wanna see your quote about the riotous crowd!

He said: "The thing that wore me out was.. At first I thought it was funny, I thought it was cool, to be like at a gig that was supposed to start at ten, or maybe like even earlier, 8:30-9, and now it's 12:30 and the crowd's going crazy. And Axl's still getting his massage. And you know, the tension and whatever".

Go ahead, transcribe the riotous part!

Haven't spun a thing.

FACT. Brain talks about his frustrations at Axl's delays at concert.

Case closed.

Brain says, he left because of the concert delays.

It is all there in the interview.

Case closed?

Actual quote from Brain without the added MortisMurphy interpretation spin on it: "I left because, you know, I had a kid and I just thought wanted really get this composing thing going. I wanted to give it a shot."

I found it more interesting, the method of how they recorded. The story of, 30 minute tapes being sent off at intervals was new to me. Is there anyone in here who knew this story previously? No. Didn't think so.

Why do you answer your own questions Mr "It was on sale for $1.99 the week after its release"?

Anyone know this story before, the story of Axl insisting the band play in the morning with full pyrotechnics? No, didn't think so. Case closed.

And this part was in the recap I posted.

Any sane person who listened wouldn't put the spin on the interview you do because many of the things weren't news to them.

By the way, it's not news to most GN'R fans that Axl prefers to do stuff at nigh or that he has trouble being on time. It's not shocking at all!

/jarmo
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:25:31 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »

Axl said 1 album is done, so that could mean a number of things. If he would like to have 14-16 songs on that album, there's pretty much half an album left. If he has say 11 songs ready to go on 1 album and the other 11 still need some tweaking, that's 1 album done and 1 almost done.

Bottom line, I just hope we'll get to hear the rest of the songs they recorded during that period. If it's on stand-alone albums or sprinkled in with songs written by the current line-up is not important.

Yeah, would be cool.

I'm just not sure its realistic from a time standpoint.  These guys aren't getting any younger.  And will still don't know when the next one will be, let alone the one after that.

I think anything past one more album is gravy.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2015, 07:30:21 PM »

So you are now not happy with the album?  Or just not satisfied with how the album didnt set all time record sales in the United states?  Or what about the years of touring after the album came out?  Where u not a fan of satisfied with them?

No, no, not that.

I just don't know I see the supposed epicness of sessions that have only produced so little.  Its not that I have a problem with material, there's just not much of it.

I was saying the 7 year odyssey in the studio is a better story if it produced 2, or even 3 albums worth of stuff to hear.  Then, you could sell how it may have taken 7 years, but look at the output.

But, 14 songs in 14 years?  I don't know.  I think its tough to find their studio adventures as charming, I suppose.

But perhaps I'd feel differently after hearing the next album.  I'm just not there yet.

mortismurphy
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »

Yes!

Go ahead. I know what he said. I wanna see your quote about the riotous crowd!

He said: "The thing that wore me out was.. At first I thought it was funny, I thought it was cool, to be like at a gig that was supposed to start at ten, or maybe like even earlier, 8:30-9, and now it's 12:30 and the crowd's going crazy. And Axl's still getting his massage. And you know, the tension and whatever".

Go ahead, transcribe the riotous part!

You are a stickler for semantics, Jarmo. When I used the word 'riotous' I thought I had made it clear that I was merely paraphrasing, not transcribing. Here is my original, quoted in full,

Just where are the parenthesis which would mislead someone into thinking I am offering transcription?  I even say, ''I have not got time to transcribe these sections''. It is obvious that I am quoting from memory, writing in first person. Please point out then, where I have intentionally misled anyone by passing off paraphrased passages as transcriptions? But regardless, you have answered this for me by quoting this,

"The thing that wore me out was.. At first I thought it was funny, I thought it was cool, to be like at a gig that was supposed to start at ten, or maybe like even earlier, 8:30-9, and now it's 12:30 and the crowd's going crazy. And Axl's still getting his massage. And you know, the tension and whatever".

It is not a great etymological leap from, 'a crowd going crazy', 'tension', to 'riotous'. Note well the following first definition,

riotous
adj
1.  unrestrained: loud, conspicuous, and unrestrained 
2.  rioting or likely to riot: involved in or taking part in serious public unrest (formal) 

Thanks for providing the Axl insult by the way, 'Axl's still getting his massage'. You have saved me the hard work.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2015, 07:45:51 PM »

You are a stickler for semantics, Jarmo. When I used the word 'riotous' I thought I had made it clear that I was merely paraphrasing, not transcribing. Here is my original, quoted in full,

Yeah, funny how you choose a word like that! Wonder why!
Why not use a word like anxious? Nah, riotous makes more sense.

Just where are the parenthesis which would mislead someone into thinking I am offering transcription?  I even say, ''I have not got time to transcribe these sections''. It is obvious that I am quoting from memory, writing in first person. Please point out then, where I have intentionally misled anyone by passing off paraphrased passages as transcriptions? But regardless, you have answered this for me by quoting this,

You should be the last person coming here to discuss anything and using your memory as reference. Next time, check the facts first.
Like any sane person would.

"The thing that wore me out was.. At first I thought it was funny, I thought it was cool, to be like at a gig that was supposed to start at ten, or maybe like even earlier, 8:30-9, and now it's 12:30 and the crowd's going crazy. And Axl's still getting his massage. And you know, the tension and whatever".

It is not a great etymological leap from, 'a crowd going crazy', 'tension', to 'riotous'. Note well the following first definition,

riotous
adj
1.  unrestrained: loud, conspicuous, and unrestrained 
2.  rioting or likely to riot: involved in or taking part in serious public unrest (formal) 

Oh please. Wanna compete regarding suitable words?

Look up anxious.

Thanks for providing the Axl insult by the way, 'Axl's still getting his massage'. You have saved me the hard work.

Why is that an insult?

Oh wait, this is news to you as well? That sometimes that is part of the preparation for a gig?

This from an article published in 1992:
Axl works out on his amazing state-of-the-art exercise machine, chats with his brother and sister, who are accompanying him on the tour, then has his back cracked and his ankles taped, gets a massage and stretches his throat muscles with operatic warm-ups.

Gasp! No way!
I suggest you stop now with whatever you think is shocking and news to you. 

/jarmo

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2015, 07:48:14 PM »

Yeah, that may be a bit confusing.  Let me try and clarify.

It makes me depressed and cringe as to what happened to my favorite band. At least now DJ brings that old school  vibe of GNR.
mortismurphy
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2015, 07:58:35 PM »

Anxious?

It could work but I used riotous because 'anxious' seems a bit timid. I am 'anxious' when my cat does not return home. It seems too timid a term to describe the actions of a potentially unpredictable, no-doubt semi-inebriated, surge of humanity that is a rock n' roll audience. It was a mere stylistic choice Jarmo.

It is a joke about Axl. 'Insult' is maybe a little strong but there is a definite joke at his expense present. He could have substituted 'doing yoga' for 'getting his massage'. He is tapping into a commonly held belief on Axl there.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2015, 08:08:45 PM »

Anxious?

It could work but I used riotous because 'anxious' seems a bit timid. I am 'anxious' when my cat does not return home. It seems too timid a term to describe the actions of a potentially unpredictable, no-doubt semi-inebriated, surge of humanity that is a rock n' roll audience. It was a mere stylistic choice Jarmo.

I'm sorry the official definition doesn't suit you:

anx?ious
ˈaNG(k)SHəs/
adjective
adjective: anxious

experiencing worry, unease, or nervousness, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome.
    "she was extremely anxious about her exams"
    synonyms:   worried, concerned, uneasy, apprehensive, fearful, perturbed, troubled, bothered, disturbed, distressed, disquieted, fretful, agitated, nervous, edgy, antsy, unquiet, on edge, tense, overwrought, worked up, keyed up, jumpy, worried sick, with one's stomach in knots, with one's heart in one's mouth;
    informaluptight, on tenterhooks, with butterflies in one's stomach, trepidatious, jittery, twitchy, in a dither, in a lather, in a tizzy, het up;
    strung out, having kittens;
    antsy, spooked, squirrelly
    "her fever has us all a little anxious"
    antonyms:   carefree, unconcerned
        (of a period of time or situation) causing or characterized by worry or nervousness.
        "there were some anxious moments"
    wanting something very much, typically with a feeling of unease.
    "the company was anxious to avoid any trouble"
    synonyms:   eager, keen, desirous, impatient
    "she was anxious for news"

Sorry that your vocabulary can't seem to find a word not relating to a riot.

It is a joke about Axl. 'Insult' is maybe a little strong but there is a definite joke at his expense present. He could have substituted 'doing yoga' for 'getting his massage'. He is tapping into a commonly held belief on Axl there.

Substituting it for something like that would've made it a lie. So, nice try.
Yes, if you believe preparing for a gig is ridiculous, it's a joke.

Roll Eyes

/jarmo

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:11:56 PM by jarmo » Logged

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2015, 08:16:44 PM »

No, no, not that.

I just don't know I see the supposed epicness of sessions that have only produced so little.  Its not that I have a problem with material, there's just not much of it.

I was saying the 7 year odyssey in the studio is a better story if it produced 2, or even 3 albums worth of stuff to hear.  Then, you could sell how it may have taken 7 years, but look at the output.

But, 14 songs in 14 years?  I don't know.  I think its tough to find their studio adventures as charming, I suppose.

But perhaps I'd feel differently after hearing the next album.  I'm just not there yet.

I see what you are getting at

For me personally I would rather have two all time great songs, than 100 songs that I would just skip over.  I am a fan of quality over quantity   

Now where mb you are looking at the situation as something that could of gone so much better.  You are looking at the situation and saying if things where done a little different the results would of been so much better

I am looking at the situation and am very very happy with the results   If Axl hadn't done what he did and used the process to get to the place that he got us all.  I would of never of gotten the chance to hear a good album that contains a couple of all time great songs.   I never would of got to see the band perform in concerts to support the album

Sure I want more music.  More interviews.  More concerts.  I admit I am a selfish greedy fan.  So what haha

I think if the process of writing the album CD was any different.  We wouldn't of gotten any of the great things I mentioned above
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: