Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 08:42:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [UPDATES] June 23, 2016 ? Ford Field, Detroit
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [UPDATES] June 23, 2016 ? Ford Field, Detroit  (Read 71524 times)
Matt_Viar
Opening Act

Maybe we'd be better off without you anyway

« Reply #340 on: July 03, 2016, 11:24:28 PM »

First, my response was to a question about why older fans weren'the as interested in previous tours along with rebuking a silly comment that people should feel the same about what are essentually two completely separate bands that the only common bond is the lead singer and name (we can agree thar is a fact correct?).  I personally (can i say it that way?) didn't feel the performance of Axl and his hired guns post-2001 held a candle to the '87-'93 versions.

That being said, definitely not trying to pigeon hole groups of the fandom.  People are very passionate about GN'R and it's one of the things I like about then and other fans (like SEC college football - another passion of mine).  Another way to put it is your entry point to anything will influence how you see and feel about it.  Most (agree not all) that began following when I did will feel differently then someone who began following post-2001 - because of the combination of age and what you experienced following them.

I personally didn'the care for the direction the band took post-1993 (I can have my own opinion correct?).  As a result I switched to following Slash - prefer his bluesy rock style more plus he's actually been making music on a more frequent basis.

Hope y'all enjoy the tour when your catch  it  - DC was f'ing amazing!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:44:25 PM by Matt_Viar » Logged

1991: 06/22 Hampton, VA
1992: 09/07 Columbia, SC
2016: 06/26 Washington DC
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #341 on: July 04, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »

@Matt_Viar
To paraphrase Adele:  YOU COULD OF HAD IT ALL!!!

There was ZERO reason for you as a GNR fan to had to have to choose between GNR concerts vs VR concerts (or even Slash n' Myles concerts).  They ALL play/played approximately the same percentage of 'classic' GNR songs in their shows!!!

Only difference between the shows was that with GNR, you would have at least had a chance of attending a show that Izzy also decided to perform his GNR songs at with the band.  Even Slash wanted the opportunity to attend GNR shows as a fan of Axl's talent and abilities (as well as the other band members) and, although he wanted the music to go in a different direction, he still was/is interested in the evolution of Axl's GNR vision.  And now is once again a willing participant in the GNR legacy and evolution. 

GNR n' VR didn't even perform in the same cities on the same nights so that would not of have been a choice to be made.  Even if they did play in the same city on the same night, you still would NOT have to choose between the 2 shows because Slash's shows ended waaayyyy before Axl took the stage!!!  FUCK, you could have even gone home, showered and changed, had a nice dinner and STILL been able to get to the venue in time for the GNR show!!!  hihi

You spent 15 years depriving yourself of enjoying Axl performing GNR songs because you felt the need to pick a side??  That IMO is a very sad commentary of a GNR fan and a music fan in general.

Again going back to the AC/DC fans turning in their tickets for refunds because Brian Johnson isn't there.  They would rather NOT hear AC/DC songs performed by the band live ever again because "their singer" is no longer physically capable to do so??  That makes no sense whatsoever IMO.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:01:16 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #342 on: July 04, 2016, 02:23:50 PM »

Again going back to the AC/DC fans turning in their tickets for refunds because Brian Johnson isn't there.  They would rather NOT hear AC/DC songs performed by the band live ever again because "their singer" is no longer physically capable to do so??  That makes no sense whatsoever IMO.

....unless it happened to Axl Rose.  Then it would make perfect sense for GNR fans to not care to hear GNR perform GNR songs ever again...

Old argument, but same logic.  People on this board criticized AC/DC fans knowing damn well in their heart of hearts that they wouldn't support GNR without Axl.  But of course, somehow that's "different".
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:26:05 PM by Bridge » Logged
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #343 on: July 04, 2016, 02:30:39 PM »

....unless it happened to Axl Rose.  Then it would make perfect sense for GNR fans to not care to hear GNR perform GNR songs ever again...

Old argument, but same logic.  People on this board criticized AC/DC fans knowing damn well in their heart of hearts that they wouldn't support GNR without Axl.  But of course, somehow that's "different".

I disagree.  If - GOD FORBID - Axl were PHYSICALLY INCAPABLE of performing, I think most GNR fans would embrace a VR-type band without much trepidation.  Would you really want Slash n' Duff n' Izzy n' Matt n' Steven to NOT ever play GNR songs TOGETHER again because Axl was out of commission??

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #344 on: July 04, 2016, 02:32:36 PM »

Not really an apples to apples comparison is it?  Axl co-founded the band and is its partial namesake and been its primary songwriter. You can't say any of those things about Brian Johnson in relation to AC/DC.  That's not a criticism, BTW, it is a statement of fact.

I don't blame AC/DC fans for not wanting to see anyone other than Brian sing the songs, but comparing that to a GN'R without Axl is apples and oranges.

Ali
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #345 on: July 04, 2016, 02:36:21 PM »

Not really an apples to apples comparison is it?  Axl co-founded the band and is its partial namesake and been its primary songwriter. You can't say any of those things about Brian Johnson in relation to AC/DC.  That's not a criticism, BTW, it is a statement of fact.

I don't blame AC/DC fans for not wanting to see anyone other than Brian sing the songs, but comparing that to a GN'R without Axl is apples and oranges.

Ali

I disagree with this for the same reason I stated above.  There's a BIG difference when the person is PHYSICALLY INCAPABLE of going on.

VR did GNR songs just fine with Scott (God rest his soul) mainly because GNR fans got to hear Slash n' Duff n' Matt perform those songs live.

Bridge
Legend

« Reply #346 on: July 04, 2016, 02:40:36 PM »

Not really an apples to apples comparison is it?  Axl co-founded the band and is its partial namesake and been its primary songwriter. You can't say any of those things about Brian Johnson in relation to AC/DC.

I don't read that deeply into it.  Bottom line is that Brian Johnson has been AC/DC's singer for 36 years.  Almost all AC/DC fans today grew up with Brian and are not old enough to remember a time before Brian.  And even the ones who are old enough have long since accepted Brian as their singer.  That's how they've supported and accepted AC/DC for nearly 40 years.

So no, I don't really give credence to the "Axl's an original member but Brian isn't" argument.  When you have a tenure of service like Brian does, it really doesn't matter anymore whether he's an original member.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:53:41 PM by Bridge » Logged
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #347 on: July 04, 2016, 02:44:31 PM »

So no, I don't really give credence to the "Axl's an original member but Brian isn't" argument.  When you have a tenure of service like Brian does, it really doesn't matter anymore whether he's an original member.

But you do agree that AC/DC should NOT stop performing live just because Brian can't go on?

Bridge
Legend

« Reply #348 on: July 04, 2016, 02:47:13 PM »

I disagree.  If - GOD FORBID - Axl were PHYSICALLY INCAPABLE of performing, I think most GNR fans would embrace a VR-type band without much trepidation.  Would you really want Slash n' Duff n' Izzy n' Matt n' Steven to NOT ever play GNR songs TOGETHER again because Axl was out of commission??

Not really, and I SERIOUSLY doubt most GNR fans would either.  It was one thing when a band called VELVET REVOLVER without Axl was playing the songs.  But if a band calling themselves GUNS N ROSES performed without Axl?  Nope, I don't buy that people would be fine with that.

But you do agree that AC/DC should NOT stop performing live just because Brian can't go on?

I'm not really in a position to tell them what to do.  If they feel they should continue, then that's their choice.

However, I can say that I wouldn't go see them, when they're missing not one, but now three members of the classic lineup.  That's my choice.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:54:30 PM by Bridge » Logged
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #349 on: July 04, 2016, 03:00:04 PM »

I'm not really in a position to tell them what to do.  If they feel they should continue, then that's their choice.

However, I can say that I wouldn't go see them, when they're missing not one, but now three members of the classic lineup.  That's my choice.
I am surprised that if you had the opportunity that you would not want to see Axl~AC/DC live just for the fact that it's Axl performing in such an iconic band.

FYI.... see above response for my previous reply to your post.
My apologies for missing this before.

Not really, and I SERIOUSLY doubt most GNR fans would either.  It was one thing when VELVET REVOLVER was playing the songs.  But if a band calling themselves GUNS N ROSES performed without Axl?  Nope, I don't buy that people would be fine with it.

Even if it was a line-up of Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven with another iconic singer??  (Again under the hypothesis that Axl is physically incapable of ever performing again).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 03:01:42 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

Bridge
Legend

« Reply #350 on: July 04, 2016, 03:11:37 PM »

I am surprised that if you had the opportunity that you would not want to see Axl~AC/DC live just for the fact that it's Axl performing in such an iconic band.

All I can say is that I am glad I saw AC/DC in 2008 when they had their full "iconic" lineup.

Even if it was a line-up of Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven with another iconic singer??  (Again under the hypothesis that Axl is physically incapable of ever performing again).

You tell me!   Tongue  Conduct a poll of people on this site (and any other GNR site) and pose the question exactly the way you worded it above and see what the consensus is.  I have my doubts.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 03:13:42 PM by Bridge » Logged
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #351 on: July 04, 2016, 03:26:24 PM »

All I can say is that I am glad I saw AC/DC in 2008 when they had their full "iconic" lineup.
You seem to be implying that you're a "classic GNR lineup" fan as opposed to being a fan of Axl??
Not judging just an observation.

You tell me!   Tongue  Conduct a poll of people on this site (and any other GNR site) and pose the question exactly the way you worded it above and see what the consensus is.  I have my doubts.
I can't be bothered making a poll.  There's something like 54 hours to the next show so if people want to join in this conversation they can do it in this thread (unless admin or the mods decide otherwise).

P.S.  An Axl-less GNR would also have to include at the very least Dizzy n' Richard to do the UYI n' CD stuff justice and a verifiable doctors note.  Tongue

Bridge
Legend

« Reply #352 on: July 04, 2016, 03:29:29 PM »

You seem to be implying that you're a "classic GNR lineup" fan as opposed to being a fan of Axl??

Yes indeed!  I love ALL the boys together!   Cool  That goes for any of my favorite bands.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 03:34:19 PM by Bridge » Logged
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #353 on: July 04, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »

Yes indeed!  I love ALL the boys together!   Cool  That goes for any of my favorite bands.

Oh okay.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion.  peace
It does however end this particular conversation on this particular website.  Lips Sealed

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #354 on: July 05, 2016, 11:01:25 AM »

I mean...it IS a little like getting carded when you go to buy beer.

Happened to me multiple times on this tour so far... Getting into bars and buying a beer with my food for dinner... Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #355 on: July 05, 2016, 11:23:52 AM »

I mean...it IS a little like getting carded when you go to buy beer.

Happened to me multiple times on this tour so far... Getting into bars and buying a beer with my food for dinner... Cheesy

/jarmo

It's those boyish good looks, jarmo......

Tongue

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: