Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:12:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [UPDATES] July 9th, 2016 - Nashville, TN @ Nissan Stadium
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [UPDATES] July 9th, 2016 - Nashville, TN @ Nissan Stadium  (Read 44529 times)
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »

Me and Jarmo!!!

Pretty cool. I had not kept up on who is going to be there etc... I kinda wish I did. It would of been cool to meet Jarmo and D.

I was in 333, Row A. That was taken from the floor right?

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2016, 11:49:23 AM »

I'll go ahead and post my thoughts and all that about the show. I'll be pretty straight and honest about everything. I always am I think.

So this was my 2nd time seeing Gn'R. I saw them at Bridgestone in 2011. This was also my very first "stadium show" that wasn't a festival. CMA Fest is held here and that was cool, but that is like 15 different people playing 2-3 songs each or so.

For a great comparable, I was blessed to see Scott Stapp from Creed the same week as Saturday night's Gn'R show and Noel Gallager the previous night.

Oh yes, it was my perfect and best music week ever. Noel Gallagher at the Ryman (the best venue on earth to see any show), Scott Stapp at the small gritty Warehouse and then GnF'nR at Nissan Stadium.

The Gn'R show was fantastic! I got to see Slash/Duff and Adler for the very first time, and obviously got to witness the whole band together with Slash and Duff. It was incredible. The quality of music being played was amazing, the intensity was up there, and to see Steven Fucking Adler for 2 songs was fantastic. I do with they'd give him 4 total or so. I was hoping he'd come back out for Nightrain, but its cool.

Adler for 2 songs, was a sweet treat. Seeing 4/5 of AFD lineup was just awesome. Fortus killed it, Frank killed it and Melissa's backing vocals were good too.

This band played awesome. The setlist was really good, you get ALL the hits besides Don't Cry and some great other songs that were more obscure, like Coma and Out Ta Get Me.

It was a killer show, Rocket Queen's extended thing was killer etc etc.

This is where it was a somewhat of a letdown in a couple areas.

1. Stadium gig - It was my first stadium show, and I knew the sound would be a little different, but we were upper deck row A, and the sound was slightly muffled. This isn't the band's fault, it is just how it is. I mean it wasn't a big deal. I enjoyed it still. We moved to the end of the field towards the last 1/3 of the show and the sound was a bit louder and more "in your face". Simply put, the show was great, the lights, cameras, the whole thing was awesome, but being in a massive Stadium kinda made me feel so distant and far from the music at times. I still jammed out and did the whole air guitar and air drums from my front row upper deck seat 60-70 feet off the ground, but it just didn't feel as intense as I had hoped. Not the band's fault, that is just Stadium style for you.

2. Lack of band interaction. I know they had a long set to play and all that, but I kinda wanted some more interaction. It isn't a big deal really, just a little more chit chat. It was very very minimal. Just didn't feel that connected. They didn't really show any gratefulness

3. Parking. Not the band's fault I don't think. 35.00 to park? I mean.. come on. The company in charge of that, and I forget the name should be ashamed.

4. Overall, the show was incredible. For the stadium atmosphere, it was just awesome. Nothing was the band's vault, I guess stadiums aren't my cup of tea really. I couldn't have asked for a better quality show, I just wished I could of seen them in an arena. But it would of sold out way way way way faster and prices would of been higher. SO I get it.

The Scott Stapp show was 200 people in a sweaty club. Scott was very very thankful and very talkative. He only played 13 songs, but it was intense. Extemely intense I think. It was like he was playing in a stadium by his performance. It was extremely good. I got a tshirt, autograph pic, and got a standing spot literally 3 feet from Scott and the stage. ALL of that for a grand total of 64 dollars. My Gn'R ticket alone was like 70 or something.

Noel Gallagher was in a venue of 3,500 or so, was more personal... neither show was better than Gn'R. I'm just trying to say that the Stadium experience took away from the show.

I mean in comparison the Gn'R presentation and show was much better than either Noel or Scott's shows, but it felt more intense and personal because of the venue. I'm not trying to be negative. I'm not, I just wanted to let my slight frustration be known that while the show was incredible, for me... the Stadium feel wasn't for me and really didn't enhance it.

At the same time, I had good seats for 70+ per ticket, so the value was great, and I was amazed at seeing Axl and Slash. It was my favorite band of all time, boom right there in my face and I loved every second. I was expecting this almost impossible show... this perfect thing.. this insanely killer show, and what I got at the end was a really really great show. I think my expectations were too high or something?

The concert left me wanting more. It left me feeling empty. Like you're very very hungry, you eat and appetizer and a drink, and some bread... you're kinda full put you want that desert or something. Hard to explain.

Overall I had a great time, I just would never see Gn'R in a Stadium type setting again.

But don't damn me
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »

I'll go ahead and post my thoughts and all that about the show. I'll be pretty straight and honest about everything. I always am I think.

3. Parking. Not the band's fault I don't think. 35.00 to park? I mean.. come on. The company in charge of that, and I forget the name should be ashamed.

Where the heck did you part at? There were plenty of private parking lots for $18 next to the venue. On the other side of the river - 10 minute walk at most - there were multiple city-owned parking garages for $10 a pop.

Regarding thoughts on the sound: Yeah, I was pretty close - the lowest level before the floor and often it was hard to hear Axl. If you didn't know the words to Coma - from where I was sitting - then you were probably lost. Again, not Axl's fault because I thought he was dead on - but rather the circumstances.

Often seating is everything in a stadium. You can be close - but in certain areas - and the sounds isn't that great. Sometimes the nosebleeds are great but the view sucks. It can be a little hit or miss.
Poops Magee
Headliner

« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »

The Stapp!

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
UKWildcat
Opening Act

« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2016, 12:57:16 PM »

We parked in a nice parking gargae 10 minutes walk away across the river for $10.

I was in the pit #1 close to center stage and it was another amazing show.  I was in exact same spot for the Cincinnati show as well.  There did seem to be something different with the sound at times, like it was all muffled together or something...kind of hard to explain, but it was minor.  The pit was definitely more packed than it was in Cincinnati!  Stadium was more packed as well, I don't recall anyone being in upper deck in Paul Brown Stadium.   I'm telling every to not miss this show!  I just smile, kinda like Steven Adler, during the whole concert lol, it's just that good.  It's fun to be next to big fans and just giving each other high fives after each song.  It's great!

Does anyone know what was going on with Steven during his 2 songs?  Some chick was behind him helping him with something, ear piece maybe?  And he was saying something to Duff that was playing in front of the drums, but I couldn't make out what was going on.

Axl sounded great again and it's just amazing when stands on the speakers in the front center stage and just holds the whole crowd in the palm of his hands!  He's just cool as hell!  He might of had a cold or something too though, seen him blowing his nose a couple of times.

I thought that might of been Jarmo behind the pit taking pictures, lucky dude! Lol

I feel extremely fortunate to have got to see two amazing shows! My favorite one was Cincinnati, but not by much!
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #185 on: July 11, 2016, 01:03:01 PM »

Well I live in the Nashville area, and I didn't get the to venue until about 7pm, so I'm well aware of other parking options... as you might had imagined... parking was ate up around for that 10-15 you were talking about. We parked right outside the stadium, which was cool, but for 35... yikes.

I never said Axl didn't sound great, I thought the entire band sounded awesome. I could hear it all well, I just was a little surprised to the slight echo from up high, that is probably how Stadiums are. Not a huge deal.

They played awesome.

But don't damn me
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2016, 01:37:12 PM »

Where the heck did you part at? There were plenty of private parking lots for $18 next to the venue. On the other side of the river - 10 minute walk at most - there were multiple city-owned parking garages for $10 a pop.

Regarding thoughts on the sound: Yeah, I was pretty close - the lowest level before the floor and often it was hard to hear Axl. If you didn't know the words to Coma - from where I was sitting - then you were probably lost. Again, not Axl's fault because I thought he was dead on - but rather the circumstances.

Often seating is everything in a stadium. You can be close - but in certain areas - and the sounds isn't that great. Sometimes the nosebleeds are great but the view sucks. It can be a little hit or miss.

It's interesting to hear the reports of sound issues in places because, if you look back, I got the same thing from the periscopes that were making the rounds that night.  I have to honestly wonder if the Stadium acoustics, or sound system, just flat out stink.  Previous gigs, on the scopes, did NOT suffer from the same sort of muffling and jumbling that were present on the scopes that night.

I know being there live is 100x better than anything that gets scoped out.  But, still....I've now heard multiple people say similar stuff about the sound in many areas of the stadium.

As for parking....yeah, on site parking at the venue is pretty pricey pretty much everywhere, I think. I know MetLife is $30, too.  There are other options in the area, too, but as you mentioned...the closer to show time you arrive, the fewer they are going to be. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:40:09 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #187 on: July 11, 2016, 03:19:01 PM »

I mean the fact they played Stadiums made this affordable for all of us.

Arenas would of sold out very very fast, and tickets would of been like 100 for cheap ones. Plus the sound was amazing, just stadiums are like that unless you're lower bowl or floor.

The parking wasn't their fault either. Like I said, the show was awesome, I just would of preferred them in a closer setting, but I couldn't had afforded that so I'm happy. It was a dream of mine.

Gn'R might be one of the best live acts out right now!

But don't damn me
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #188 on: July 11, 2016, 04:28:24 PM »

It's interesting to hear the reports of sound issues in places because, if you look back, I got the same thing from the periscopes that were making the rounds that night.  I have to honestly wonder if the Stadium acoustics, or sound system, just flat out stink.  Previous gigs, on the scopes, did NOT suffer from the same sort of muffling and jumbling that were present on the scopes that night.

I know being there live is 100x better than anything that gets scoped out.  But, still....I've now heard multiple people say similar stuff about the sound in many areas of the stadium.

As for parking....yeah, on site parking at the venue is pretty pricey pretty much everywhere, I think. I know MetLife is $30, too.  There are other options in the area, too, but as you mentioned...the closer to show time you arrive, the fewer they are going to be. 

Yeah, that's what I was gonna say.
When we were watching on periscope we noticed there was something wrong with Axl.
We couldn't really understand what he was singing, it was weird.
So now you're confirming there really was something wrong with the sound system.
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #189 on: July 11, 2016, 06:47:55 PM »

Yeah, that's what I was gonna say.
When we were watching on periscope we noticed there was something wrong with Axl.
We couldn't really understand what he was singing, it was weird.
So now you're confirming there really was something wrong with the sound system.

No, I don't think it's the sound system but rather the natural set up and acoustics or lack thereof of playing in a stadium.
I've been to a number of stadium shows and this isn't the first time I've experienced it.
It happens. Not sure if it can be resolved. It is what it is but if you know the songs it's not that bad.
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #190 on: July 11, 2016, 06:49:42 PM »

Well I live in the Nashville area, and I didn't get the to venue until about 7pm, so I'm well aware of other parking options... as you might had imagined... parking was ate up around for that 10-15 you were talking about. We parked right outside the stadium, which was cool, but for 35... yikes.

I never said Axl didn't sound great, I thought the entire band sounded awesome. I could hear it all well, I just was a little surprised to the slight echo from up high, that is probably how Stadiums are. Not a huge deal.

They played awesome.

Man I bet those were the $18 parking spots that we saw around 5 pm and then they jacked them up by the time you got there. Fuckers.
Mike McKagan
Rocker

I'm a small town white boy...

« Reply #191 on: July 11, 2016, 08:54:54 PM »

I was in the second level on the Slash side of the stage, and I can confirm that there was nothing wrong with the sound there.  beer

Also, it was easily the best concert I've ever attended. Absolutely on fire from start to finish.

VR--Nashville, TN--10/16/2004
GN'R--Portland, OR--12/11/2006
GN'R--Rosemont, IL--11/15/2011
GN'R--Nashville, TN--07/09/2016
GN'R--Saint Louis, MO--09/09/2023
ItsoEezee
Opening Act

« Reply #192 on: July 11, 2016, 10:44:58 PM »

Does anyone know what was going on with Steven during his 2 songs?  Some chick was behind him helping him with something, ear piece maybe?  And he was saying something to Duff that was playing in front of the drums, but I couldn't make out what was going on.

At one point Duff and Steven were looking at each other and on the big screen Steven literally said "bum, bum, bum"... like you would if you were singing along to a song and verbalized the drum beat.   Another time Steven smiled really big and said in a teasing manner "Not yet" in the lead-up of a few seconds before hitting the drums hard. 
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #193 on: July 11, 2016, 11:16:23 PM »

Thats pretty cheap. I had to pay a whopping $45 plus $5 processing fee for a pass at AT&T stadium.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2016, 07:18:02 AM »

No, I don't think it's the sound system but rather the natural set up and acoustics or lack thereof of playing in a stadium.
I've been to a number of stadium shows and this isn't the first time I've experienced it.
It happens. Not sure if it can be resolved. It is what it is but if you know the songs it's not that bad.

I honestly think it depends on the stadium.

To add context: I've seen stadium shows at: Foxboro Stadium,Gillette Stadium, Giants Stadium, Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium, Dodger Stadium and the Carrier Dome.  And I've been "all over" those first 3.  The show coming up on the 23rd will by my first show at MetLife. 

Some have had better sound systems.  Some have had better acoustics.  But I've never gotten the same sort of "muddle" that came through for that show at a stadium show.Again, that's via scopes...not live...so we're throwing that element into the mix. But it's odd that the same thing wasn't present in the previous scopes, at the previous shows.  The only thing close to that kind of "muddle" I've experienced in a stadium was the crappy sound at the Carrier Dome. I've actually gotten it more in arenas (Yes, XL Center in Hartford, I'm looking at YOU!) with crappy sound systems than I have at stadiums. 

I agree: There is something of a loss of fidelity at a stadium show vs an arena with a good sound system.  This seemed more extreme than that, by the scopes and (maybe) the reports coming in from those on site, and not right near the stage.  It'll be interesting to hear how tonight's show goes....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:19:55 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #195 on: July 12, 2016, 09:32:27 AM »

Yeah I don't blame the band at all. How could you?

THe idea of filling that large space with sound in an open air kinda vibe is tough.

That's a lot of space to fill really. They did great. Was a dream of mine came true. Would of been cool to meet Jarmo and D though.

But don't damn me
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: