Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:30:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Coin collecting
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coin collecting  (Read 3595 times)
cineater
Legend

« on: November 02, 2021, 07:52:33 AM »

Anybody collect coins?  I'm interested in starting my SIL in collecting gold coins.  I'm looking at the little ones under $100.

What am I looking for?   hihi  What percentage of gold?  US ones or are any of the foreign ones good?  I kind of like the ones from Australia for the pictures on them.

Learning weird shit already.  Never realized the backside of the coin is upside down.  I have a 1923 silver dollar.  Almost 100 years old and it's worth around $25.  I'm wondering what the interest rate on that is?  It earned $24 over 100 years.  What's the math on that?

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
cineater
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 01:16:17 PM »

Fucking Republicans.  Apparently they are all freaked over the economy and buying up gold and silver the moment it hits the store.  Look, my need for a Christmas gift overrides your freak out!  He never knows when he will get a shipment and doesn't notify you when he does.  I am not hanging out at his store like I'm buying concert tickets.   hihi

He did get kind of excited when he found out I have a large container I've been throwing coins into since the 70's.  Gave me a list of all the coins I should look for in there.  But basically he told me I wouldn't find those gold coins under $100.  Recommended silver as it has a better chance of going up.  I use to have the 2 big bars of silver.  Kind of cool, they look like small bricks.  I didn't think they went up that much and really if the world economy goes to shit, you're better off knowing how to forage for food is the way I see it.  Coins are just pretty, something to collect and sell off when you get tired of it.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 02:33:06 PM »

Okay, this is cool.  They make silver Christmas coins.  Always looking for that little something to thrown in with the big gifts.  Think I'll start everybody on these.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 05:59:22 PM »

I'm thinking I'm over paying for the price of silver right now.  The coin collecting guys are saying people are buying this stuff up as soon as it shows up.  My Republican friends are saying bail out of the stock market, it's going to crash, get gold and silver.  I'm thinking no, it's high.  But if they're right about the stock market, shouldn't I be storing up some cash, preparing to buy stocks at all time lows?

GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 02:59:27 PM »

I'm a fucking Republican, but I'll talk to you about coins. I used to buy silver for both collection and stacking. In 2017 I converted the majority of my silver to gold. Unless the silver coin is highly collectable, It's recommend focusing on gold even though it's much more expensive, you'll be happy you did. The Lunar series from the Perth mint is worth collecting in both gold and silver variety.

I hope this helps.

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
cineater
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 04:13:21 PM »

I'm a fucking Republican, but I'll talk to you about coins. I used to buy silver for both collection and stacking. In 2017 I converted the majority of my silver to gold. Unless the silver coin is highly collectable, It's recommend focusing on gold even though it's much more expensive, you'll be happy you did. The Lunar series from the Perth mint is worth collecting in both gold and silver variety.

I hope this helps.

It's okay I got what I needed for Christmas.  I'm thinking gold too.  Silver doesn't move much in value.

I did the Gold American Eagle coin for his wedding gift.  He's Republican, a vet and that had the daddy eagle flying to the nest with the mom and two babies plus something to do with Reagan.  It made him tear up, score!  To continue the theme, when he has kids, I need a single eagle on the coin.

But I'm going to need something for father and child to collect.  Go back to his birthday and move forward and start with the child's birthday and add every year.  The Christmas coin is kind of fun but that doesn't cover birthdays.  Lunar is kind of cute.  I really like those pandas.  They've been going on for a long time.  I remember those from the 80's.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 03:00:15 PM »

I got a single gold eagle for him for Father's Day.  I figure when he passes it on to the kid, they will be just about my age now.  Wonder what it will be worth and how long this is going to get passed down the family line?  Or who is going to be the fuck up that cashes it in or loses it.   hihi  From me to them, I've had my share of fuck ups, blame my genes. 

cineater
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 11:29:27 PM »

Aw, the guy who was talking to me about coin collecting went home from pinball last Tuesday and died of a heart attack.  He was only 56.  Sad

cineater
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 02:21:03 AM »

The coins went over well for Father's Day.  I got the ex the silver eagle for the year he becomes a grandpa.  The S-I-L got the gold.  He was speechless for a minute.   Cheesy  He is so easy to get to.  I earned him a fishing pole the other day too.  He's having a good week.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 04:38:59 PM »

Baby could come anytime now.  I got him the silver eagle.  I think collecting the same coin with just a change in date in boring.  I'll get him one every year for his birthday but I'm going to change designs every year.  Australia and China have animals on them.  Little hobby for the father and son to share.

They put it in a holder that says it's a boy.  I'm putting it in a gold mesh bag from their wedding and tying it to the arm of the dinosaur, not stuff animal  hihi, balloon weight.  Birthday balloons and it makes a nice birthday present for the little guy.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 03:45:38 PM »

The Christmas coins are in.  Silver Bells and two different Santa Clauses.  Silver Bells is fitting for a silver coin.

Building on the different coin for each year, his father wants him to travel and see the world.  I can get a corresponding book for the country or place the coin comes from.  We can spend the whole year researching the coin theme.  Maybe one day when the baby is old enough, doesn't know where to go on vacation, he can reach into his bag of coins and pick a place.  The father likes the idea.  I can do all kinds of shit with the kid around the theme.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 02:57:57 PM »

If you want a coin with the current year date on it apparently you get that in the beginning of the year.  Had to go all the way over to St Louis to get my SIL his silver eagle for this year.  They did have this pretty copper coin with the medical symbol on one side and and a pot leaf on the other.  Perfect for the medical pot plantation owner.  It was only a $1.25.  Guess that's for the ditch weed growers.   hihi

I use to live in that area back in the 80's.  Saw my old bank and the place I use to work.  For the life of me I could not remember how to get to the places I use to live from there.  Maybe if I kept going down the road autopilot would have kicked in.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: