Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 09:59:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The General being released (perhaps B-side)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The General being released (perhaps B-side)  (Read 37923 times)
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2023, 02:41:56 PM »

Both songs are growing on me. I prefer Monsters but both are great. Anyway I think this lineup will shine the moment they focus on writtin new stuff instead of rework songs written by Fink, Brain, Stinson...
Slash and Duff are both excellent writers. I Want to listen to genuine Slash riff back in Guns.

And I still think they should get a rock drummer

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2023, 04:21:16 PM »

How is the guy who’s been behind the drums of Guns N Roses for over 17 years not a rock drummer?  Genuine question, what don’t you like about Franks playing ?
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2023, 04:57:59 PM »

Both songs are growing on me. I prefer Monsters but both are great. Anyway I think this lineup will shine the moment they focus on writtin new stuff instead of rework songs written by Fink, Brain, Stinson...
Slash and Duff are both excellent writers. I Want to listen to genuine Slash riff back in Guns.

If you know GNR history you know every album has grown and changed in sound you obviously start with AFD then lies is part live album part ep. UYI was a big direction change from AFD. Ill exclude TSI since its covers but then Chinese Democracy was as big a change in sound from UYI then UYI was from AFD sound. I would guess any future album release would be more in line with CD sound but im sure will be vastly different as well. It will be interesting hearing slash now with modern day axl vocals since this aint the 90s anymore.
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2023, 08:44:56 PM »

How is the guy who’s been behind the drums of Guns N Roses for over 17 years not a rock drummer?  Genuine question, what don’t you like about Franks playing ?

In my opinion Brain or Frank are not hard rock drummers. Their style is more Nu metal, even funky or hip hop players. They are both great drummers but when you listen to CD era songs the kind of beats and loops you find there are not hard rock at all. They fit in a funky-hip hop-nu metal act, not a hard Rock Band like GNR
I guess that change was something intentional for Axl but I really doubt Slash or Duff really want that instead of a drummer like Sorum, John Tempesta, Matt Laugh, Josh Freese or any other hard rock drummer.
I want to see how this evolve once they focus on completely new songs written by this lineup. Wanna see how Frank or Brain adapt to Slash or Duff riffs and songs

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2023, 11:33:45 AM »

In my opinion Brain or Frank are not hard rock drummers. Their style is more Nu metal, even funky or hip hop players. They are both great drummers but when you listen to CD era songs the kind of beats and loops you find there are not hard rock at all. They fit in a funky-hip hop-nu metal act, not a hard Rock Band like GNR
I guess that change was something intentional for Axl but I really doubt Slash or Duff really want that instead of a drummer like Sorum, John Tempesta, Matt Laugh, Josh Freese or any other hard rock drummer.
I want to see how this evolve once they focus on completely new songs written by this lineup. Wanna see how Frank or Brain adapt to Slash or Duff riffs and songs

Nu metal is soooo far off.  hihi Those beats and loops do not come from them anyway.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2023, 02:31:35 PM »

Nu metal is soooo far off.  hihi Those beats and loops do not come from them anyway.

Brain is by far more nu metal or funky metal than hard rock
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 02:34:44 PM by DAVE ROCK » Logged

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2023, 02:32:13 PM »

Nu metal is soooo far off.  hihi Those beats and loops do not come from them anyway.

Brain is by far more nu metal than hard rock
Keep saying it, it might come true one day.

DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2023, 02:35:47 PM »

Do you consider Brain style Hard Rock?
How would you describe his style then?

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2023, 03:04:08 PM »

Influences of industrial and jazz, still within the rock spectrum. Definitely not Limp Bizkit and Korn territory.

Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2023, 03:21:20 PM »

IDK. I'm very excited about the direction of Monsters/General. The groove is something I wanted but didn't expect and they still go heavy and more straightforward in parts. Whoever is drumming on it throws down at points. Monsters has some excellent dual guitar work in it. I especially like the parts under the part where Axl screams. Duff and Slash are indeed excellent writers and it shows in the background parts of all of the four songs that have been released recently. Due credit belongs to the CD-era band for creating the framework for these songs but I've been digging the spin the current lineup has placed on those songs.

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2023, 03:55:17 PM »

Influences of industrial and jazz, still within the rock spectrum. Definitely not Limp Bizkit and Korn territory.
Agree on that. Maybe I should say industrial instead of Nu-Metal

Anyway I see Brain style closer to Ray Lucier's than Sorum, Tempesta or any other hard rock drummer

ItsoEezee
Opening Act

« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2023, 12:40:49 AM »

Have there been any reports/rumors on why the band has not released an album or at least a Lies-type EP since 2016?  Huh

The way they've been working well together and getting along on the tours (as far as we know), it would not surprise me if the band simply released 1 or 2 songs every couple years and toured every couple years and that's it until they all die (don't fix what ain't broke).  No album.  No EP.  Just a collection of singles and B-sides.  Maybe a compilation album in 10 or 15 more years that compiles all the random released songs. Smiley

kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2023, 11:53:50 PM »

Have there been any reports/rumors on why the band has not released an album or at least a Lies-type EP since 2016?  Huh

The way they've been working well together and getting along on the tours (as far as we know), it would not surprise me if the band simply released 1 or 2 songs every couple years and toured every couple years and that's it until they all die (don't fix what ain't broke).  No album.  No EP.  Just a collection of singles and B-sides.  Maybe a compilation album in 10 or 15 more years that compiles all the random released songs. Smiley

Publishing rights has been one source of speculation.
Erick
Headliner

« Reply #193 on: November 06, 2023, 12:46:03 PM »

The interesting thing is that precisely songs that Slash and Duff recorded were leaked. only The General will be on vinyl correct? In other words, there may be more music leaked from Monster that wasn't on the release radar until now
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #194 on: November 06, 2023, 08:38:19 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqRVLPwJcw8

kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #195 on: November 06, 2023, 09:23:26 PM »

The interesting thing is that precisely songs that Slash and Duff recorded were leaked. only The General will be on vinyl correct? In other words, there may be more music leaked from Monster that wasn't on the release radar until now

Wouldn't be so sure. They seem like two sides of the same coin, and the writing credits being "The General and Monsters" makes it seem like they might both be on there. But we'll find out in December I guess.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #196 on: November 07, 2023, 02:55:50 PM »

I didn't know writing a good song was so hard for them.  Embarrassed

Erick
Headliner

« Reply #197 on: November 08, 2023, 07:26:32 AM »

Monster is top song .
I liked The General, I loved the entire CD lol.

Axl did a great job with musicians of different styles, for me he is a great producer and very brave to walk through different styles and still sound like Guns n Roses
Mattgnr
Rocker

I'm a llama and very proud

« Reply #198 on: November 09, 2023, 08:15:20 AM »

Both songs have grown on me.  The thing is, only big GnR fans will give the songs the chance to grow, the average listener will not, so I'm expecting poor/average reviews for these songs.  Whether that matters or not is a different story...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #199 on: November 09, 2023, 09:55:54 AM »

Both songs have grown on me.  The thing is, only big GnR fans will give the songs the chance to grow, the average listener will not, so I'm expecting poor/average reviews for these songs.  Whether that matters or not is a different story...

If released, I think Monsters have the potential of being the song that people will like right off the bat. The verses are cool, the chorus is somewhat catchy, and then you have the - in my opinion - greatest vocal performance of Axl in the past 30 years during the bridge (or whatever that is called).

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: