Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:50:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227882 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  Nazi Moderators
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nazi Moderators  (Read 40124 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2006, 05:58:50 PM »

The people who think we are strict are usually the ones who like to post pointless insults and other things we don't want here.

Anybody who likes to talk about GN'R in the GN'R section, not bring up the old line-up in every thread about the new one, who can respect other people disagreeing without insulting them etc. etc., won't feel it's that strict.

We like to keep the place tidy. Not have five different threads about the same thing on the first page, not have threads about Bon Jovi in the GN'R section, not have 30 pages of "LOL, me too!" posts....

So if you can't handle the fact that most of us here are excited about the upcoming shows and all the recent activity in the GN'R world and you just want to remind us all how much better the old band is, maybe you're at the wrong board.

Most of us do remember the old band and likes what they did, but it's 2006 now. Time to move on. This board isn't about nostalgia.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2006, 06:13:33 PM »

i personally had never any problem with the rules on this board..... i can`t really understand all this bullshit....

Oh Jesus, I thought I was the only one  Roll Eyes

Seriously... I mean, I admit I have broken the rules I couple of times by going off topic and Jarmo had to delete not only my posts, but several other posts as well (when the whole Tommy radio thingy was up), and since then, I've been avoiding the same mistake.
But honestly, apart from that, I've never had any problems with the rules.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2006, 06:21:13 PM »

I don't have a problem here with the rules either with the exception of the -no political threads rule. But, I can post somewhere else about politics, it's okay.
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2006, 06:28:58 PM »

I've seen some intelligent posts on the subject and the mods seem to respond very defensively... 

If you take the time to read those intelligent posts, you are likely to find that they are faux-liberation garbabge filled with irrelevant references and pretentious babble about free speech and equality.

I don't "bang on" about it, but this is one case where I WILL "bang on" about it because that is what this board SHOULD be all about.

I'm not all too sure where I lost you. I was trying to give you a reason why people bang on about freedom of speech, and the real importance of it. I wasn't refering to you or any of the other crusaders. It was directed towards you, but it wasn't about you. If you cannot grasp the true concept of free speech then try not to enter into a conversation concerning it. It's funny, in a sad, ironic way (eh?) that often those on this board who bang on about freedom of speech (this time, maybe I am talking about you) seem to have the least understanding about it. As I said earlier (you really didn't read the story, did you?), views, opinions or the right to express them have never been supressed on this board. If you were in the House and started going 'Fuck sake. We want fucking anal sex (I'm almost tempted to dig out MCT's grammarian post..........) to be legalized in public you mother fuckers!!!! hey!! you with the wig on!! listen to me you fucking fucker', would it be a neglect of your free speech when they threw you out on your ass?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
MCT
« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2006, 07:12:17 PM »

And they ramble about, intrepidly ignorant of the burden of responsibility that falls with each step...

You know with each passing year, the good get better and the bad keep coming. Hence, there is a continually growing disparity, a widening gap, between the two. This forum, replete with its comparatively high quality, is its own worst enemy.

Just an articulation of the truth. I don't really have anything else to say. And yes, I am a bit of an elitist. But no, not like that. And (just for the record), this forum is doing just fine.

Bye now.

Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2006, 08:11:19 PM »

arrrgh.... why do people always bitch about rules that they agreed to in joining the board of jarmo? i just dont understand it at all..... ive been heere for along time and it is always the short timers that bitch the fastest, but the long timers bitch the longest..... and im bitching now... so i think ill bitch for awhile..... look there is too much crap going on that is BS complaining.... if you had a thread merged with another pm the mod to ask why and if they say there is already a topic explain civily that it is diff and for the reasons.... maye they will allow it to be reopened.

no for all these people complaing about the short msgs...... or threads that go onto another topic... perhaps the mods should be ontop of them as well and split them into a new thread..... just an idea.... might work better

and what MCT said too....

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
JennaSide
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #206 on: May 09, 2006, 12:01:11 AM »

I've seen some intelligent posts on the subject and the mods seem to respond very defensively...?

If you take the time to read those intelligent posts, you are likely to find that they are faux-liberation garbabge filled with irrelevant references and pretentious babble about free speech and equality.

Well, yeah.. and I have seen several points brought up again and again (some people don't learn) and I don't expect you to sit there and respond to each one in turn, but it seems that once in a while a good point is made.
For the record, I'm not complaining. I'm not bitching about the rules. I commented that they are a bit strict -- and I stand by that. I think they are. No, you're not controlling peoples' thoughts, but if someone directs a slightly off-topic comment to me in a thread, I do think twice about responding because I wonder if that will earn me negative karma.. which is a bit silly, imo. Sometimes a topic started about one thing can spin off naturally into another discussion. This is how life works. It's natural... and, I realize it's hard because there are assholes that do nothing but bring up stale old arguments or subjects - reunions, the old band, etc, but I think there should be a bit of lee-way provided in the whole "off topic" thing. Example: let's say there's a topic about hats. Someone posts a picture of themselves in front of such&such cafe wearing a certain hat. I see such&such cafe and comment that I know where that is, it's right by my apartment and that they have great pancakes. Now someone else says "yeah, I've been there too, the garden-seating is gorgeous" now the topic has drifted a bit, but I'm sure it will come back to hats within another post or two... in the mean time, several people have started talking about something else - which isn't related to hats, but isn't off-the-wall and out-of-nowhere either. I mean it wasn't like I just jumped in and said "I like to be spanked" or something stupid. So would I be in trouble for commenting on such&such cafe? Would I have to make a whole other topic about it so that the three people who have something to say about it can make our three posts? Or, what if no one wanted to talk about hats anyway and my such&such cafe comment just happens to keep the thread alive because it leads to a discussion on breakfast food? I don't know if that makes sense... I guess I can't really explain it. I guess I just think the off-topic rule is overly enforced sometimes.
Oh, and the no-political-threads thing's fine with me. I hate talking about politics, I HATE IT, but you have to admit that's a bit strict.
And people posting smilies for the sake of boosting their post-number or something is a waste of space, but if someone tells a joke and your only response would be to laugh, I don't see why it's a horrible thing to post a breif smilie and say "good one" even though that isn't a "long, meaningful post"

So, yes... I can see where the rules come from and the principle behind them, and I think they should be upheld when they're obviously being broken by an obnoxious snob, but I've seen mods come down pretty hard on people that aren't trying to be obnoxious and really aren't intentionally breaking any rules.

That's all I'm saying.

All in all, I like this place and I have no intentions of insulting anyone with this post.
 In fact, I applaud Jarmo and the crew: you have a hard job! You've also done some great, amazing things (the pre-sale!) that you didn't have to do, but did anyway. I'm more than appreciative. My hat's off to you all...? except Jim - I never knew what the hell you're saying and you called me ugly in the picture thread.? hihi (I kid, I kid)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:04:25 AM by JennaSide » Logged

I'm the luckiest girl alive.
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #207 on: May 09, 2006, 02:15:32 AM »

jenna, about the threads going "slightly" off-topic: if i see the thread about hats and i click to enter and read that thread and after a few posts it's going towards the cafe and from there to pancakes and this goes on for 1-2 pagesmaybe that's not the hats discussion i expected to see when i entered the hats topic. and you will say that i can post about hats and we will be back on topic, but i would still be reading all off-topic posts in hope that someone maybe got ontopic again and i'll find myself 3 pages later with still no posts about the hats. (hope you get my point) and that goes for all of the gnr section threads that end up being a who's better fight.
and about the jokes. if someone tells a joke it's enough to laugh while you read it. there's no need to put a yellow face to say that it made you laugh. that's the thing the poster expected when he posted the joke, to be funny. but there's no need of confirmation.
and the non-political thread rule appeared because people were not discussing politics they were just bashing each other
hope you don't take this as a rant. it's just an opinion peace

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #208 on: May 09, 2006, 02:31:26 AM »

jenna, about the threads going "slightly" off-topic: if i see the thread about hats and i click to enter and read that thread and after a few posts it's going towards the cafe and from there to pancakes and this goes on for 1-2 pagesmaybe that's not the hats discussion i expected to see when i entered the hats topic. and you will say that i can post about hats and we will be back on topic, but i would still be reading all off-topic posts in hope that someone maybe got ontopic again and i'll find myself 3 pages later with still no posts about the hats. (hope you get my point) and that goes for all of the gnr section threads that end up being a who's better fight.
and about the jokes. if someone tells a joke it's enough to laugh while you read it. there's no need to put a yellow face to say that it made you laugh. that's the thing the poster expected when he posted the joke, to be funny. but there's no need of confirmation.
and the non-political thread rule appeared because people were not discussing politics they were just bashing each other

100% agreed.

This is a message board. When someone enters he/she read the topic and enters the discussion expecting to read about that certain topic.

In the real word, discussions evolve, but they always evolve between the people who are discussing and will sometime soon end it.

Here we have more than 5.500 members. Can you imagine what would happen if everyone went off topic in every thread?

You need to understand that message boards work differently, with some rules the admin applied. Those rules change sometimes, cause of experience. And as they say "experience makes you wise".

Most of you don't face what Jarmo or the moderators see in here.

You visit some specific thread, some specific section, you post in the threads you like and that's all.

But the moderators and the admin are not here only to have fun. They have to keep the board clean for all the visitors. And if this means that some will take it badly, well life goes on and if these people don't like the board anymore they can leave.

I know it sounds bad, but it's not that bad if you think about it this way. It's the way boards work.

People come and people go. That's life.

JennaSide
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2006, 03:49:21 AM »

You're right. I agree. 3 pages of pancake discussion isn't appropriate in the hat thread (man, I chose bizarre examples, didn't I?) and I would probably be frusterated if I really really wanted to talk about hats, but if not - I wouldn't mind. I'd read it and maybe have an opinion on pancakes to add to the discussion, maybe not. Maybe the first post about hats inspired a comment about hats - then even though people were talking about pancakes, I'd throw my comment in there. Clicking on a thread ONCE IN A WHILE and not having it be what I thought it would be isn't the end of the world.
? I just figure it depends on the situation, I suppose that was my poorly illustrated point to begin with. And who's to blame when that happens? I didn't mean to start 3 pages of pancake discussion, I just made a quick observation, do I still get punished? What about the people that responded to me? Do they get punished too for helping it along on it's path off-track??
 (Oh, and by the way if I ever tell a joke - which I probably won't - please acknowledge it if you thought it was funny. All my favorite jokes are really lame and to know that someone else liked it would make my day Smiley )

The people who think we are strict are usually the ones who like to post pointless insults and other things we don't want here.

Anybody who likes to talk about GN'R in the GN'R section, not bring up the old line-up in every thread about the new one, who can respect other people disagreeing without insulting them etc. etc., won't feel it's that strict.

We like to keep the place tidy. Not have five different threads about the same thing on the first page, not have threads about Bon Jovi in the GN'R section, not have 30 pages of "LOL, me too!" posts....

So if you can't handle the fact that most of us here are excited about the upcoming shows and all the recent activity in the GN'R world and you just want to remind us all how much better the old band is, maybe you're at the wrong board.

Most of us do remember the old band and likes what they did, but it's 2006 now. Time to move on. This board isn't about nostalgia.

I don't do any of those things, but from an objective point of view, I still find it a bit strict sometimes. Not to me personally, but in general. Not that the rules are out-of-line or overly harsh, but the way they're dealt with, now especially with the karma points, can be a little much. I'm not knocking the karma points, it's a good idea to keep track of consistant trouble-makers... but do they have to be public? I see someone with a -1 and suddenly there's stigma with that. Like "whoa, what did they do? That guy must be an asshole." when in reality, that may not be the case. I think for someone to publically get the same punishment (a negative point) for posting a smilie response as a person who calls someone a rude, offensive name is a little harsh.
Oh, and believe me, I'm excited about the current line-up and upcoming shows!!! I'm not dwelling on the past at all, I'm completely looking forward to the future, so I'm not one of those people either.
And I feel that being strict in the GNR section is completely needed, that's why we're here. That's the whole main point of this website. I just feel that the rules can be a little more relaxed in other areas, like the Jungle.  But that's just me, it's not my board. And as long as it's not mine, I'll go by your rules, that's fine. I'm really not complaining.

And I believe I said that I realize running a message board is a hard job and that rules are necessary, did I not? If I didn't or it wasn't clear - I'll say it again. Ya know, I've become friends with the guy who runs another band's official message board. There are 45,926 members on that board to date. I see how crazy it is to keep things in check sometimes -- and I'll even go so far as to say that this board is probably harder because GNR is so confusing. There are so many rumors and divided loyalties and craziness... it's easier for these threads to turn into off-topic bickering. I'm not denying that at all!
? ? I'm just saying that this place is a bit strict, that's all. I'm not a message-board virgin. I've been around and for the record, I've seen plenty of places that survive just fine with more lax rules (including the large one I mentioned above) but I'm not - *NOT* - saying there are any right or wrong ways to run a board, so please don't get all defensive on me.

The only point I ever had was that this place is strict. It is. I didn't even make any judgements on that as to if I thought being strict was a good thing or not. It is what it is.? That's all. I'm not putting anyone down.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 04:16:27 AM by JennaSide » Logged

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2006, 04:10:33 AM »

I'm just saying that this place is a bit strict, that's all. I'm not a message-board virgin. I've been around and for the record, I've seen plenty of places that survive just fine with more lax rules (including the large one I mentioned above) but I'm not - *NOT* - saying there are any right or wrong ways to run a board, so please don't get all defensive on me.

I agree that the board is somewhat strict in some ways that other boards aren't. Also, as I'm sure you're aware, there's a reason for that. You said that there are other boards that are not as strict, and they've survived. Well. The reason I decided to stay here is because after some lurking, this board was more than surviving. It had a good vibe to it, and the discussions were good, based on rational arguments, little to no trolls (...good times..), and the place was run well. Also the fact that it was all dark and Rn'fn'R (meaning there was more to the posts than "SLASH RUULLLZZ") was a plus.

About the who started what on pancakes: If a thread goes that much off topic (almost/more than a page) , it's time people started a pancakethread in the appropriate section (not the GN'R section, because "it's the only section people read"). And about who'll possibly be given bad karma.. It depends on the situation. If a person has nothing to contribute to a thread except for comments about pancakes, it is wise to think whether it's the right topic to start a discussion for. There are no absolute thruths on these things, just common sense. That, of course is subjective. So let's all just go by my common sense.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
JennaSide
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2006, 04:20:11 AM »

hihi fine, deal.

and P.S. I really want to get out of this thread, i don't mean to keep posting, but now I'm afriad people got the wrong idea about what i was saying before, so I want to make sure people get what I was saying and know that I'm not complaining or bashing this site or the mods (again, except Jim who called me gross in the picture thread Wink )

I really don't want to get off on the wrong foot with anyone here.

supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2006, 04:30:00 AM »

@jenna: nobody is putting you down. you just happen to give the pancakes example (now i want pancakes rant), and i was responding to you. and as far as clicking on a thread and finding it's off-topic it's not the end of the world. but some people don't have a lot of time on their hands and only want to talk about certain things and not to spend time with something they're not interested in (i'm at work now Lips Sealed).
and about being blamed for going off-topic. just like skeba said, it's just common sense, of course you can post one off-topic phrase but there were topics with long going offtopic discussions and in-between there were several posts from jarmo asking to get back on topic but they weren't listening, and then the topic got locked and everybody asked why?

the main idea is to try and read the rules and think a little before posting (it's not directed to you personally jenna)

p.s.: i'll promise to let you know when i'll read one of your jokes ?ok

edit: wrote this without seeing jenna already responded to skeba, sorry.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2006, 05:10:48 AM »

The Jungle is a bit more relaxed compared to the main GN'R sections....

Going off topic there might not be a problem, but in most cases the off topic posts don't contribute anything. It's usually two or three people "chatting"....

I don't really care if your pancake thread turns to one about waffles... But if it's just two people saying how they want to have pancakes all the time and how they're nude while eating them, then it's gotten a bit out of hand.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2006, 05:54:52 AM »

The Jungle is a bit more relaxed compared to the main GN'R sections....

Going off topic there might not be a problem, but in most cases the off topic posts don't contribute anything. It's usually two or three people "chatting"....

I don't really care if your pancake thread turns to one about waffles... But if it's just two people saying how they want to have pancakes all the time and how they're nude while eating them, then it's gotten a bit out of hand.? hihi

/jarmo

Yeah, close the whole Jungle -section for a while. Some of the posters would not post anything after that  hihi

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
speed-stone
Banned
Rocker

...i fell in love and baby...

« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2006, 07:04:08 AM »

i forget "the jungle" exists...

i see the light at the end, but everytime i take a step, it gets dim... tell me is this hell we're living in? if so, heaven's gotta be better, but if we're hellbound, whatever, it's going down.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #216 on: May 09, 2006, 09:00:10 AM »

That's cause you're mostly in this section whining...

speed-stone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2006, 09:04:18 AM »

Most Popular Boards By Posts Most Popular Boards By Activity
 Guns N' Roses  304
Administrative, Feedback & Help  50
The Jungle  22
Dead Horse  12
Ex-Gunners  6
GN'R On Tour!  5
Bad Obsession  4
Velvet Revolver  1
Appetite For Collection  1

nice work, sherlock.

i see the light at the end, but everytime i take a step, it gets dim... tell me is this hell we're living in? if so, heaven's gotta be better, but if we're hellbound, whatever, it's going down.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2006, 09:42:22 AM »

Most Popular Boards By Posts Most Popular Boards By Activity
 Guns N' Roses  304
Administrative, Feedback & Help  50
The Jungle  22
Dead Horse  12
Ex-Gunners  6
GN'R On Tour!  5
Bad Obsession  4
Velvet Revolver  1
Appetite For Collection  1

nice work, sherlock.

Well, another proof that noone is stalking you...

You think it's cool to be a simple poster and to have more posts in here than all the other sections (besides GNR) alltogether?

Damn, you got the wrong definition of the word cool...

speed-stone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2006, 09:44:26 AM »

where did i say that was cool? are you out of your mind or something?
this is getting ridicilous, the mods are now ripping up in this shit... wow

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: