Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:55:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose Interview With Del James
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose Interview With Del James  (Read 121654 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #380 on: February 28, 2009, 09:04:59 PM »

jarmo, you can put words in people's mouths but it just hurts your argument. i'm not sure why my initial comment set you off since i was saying something really positive about axl caring more than most.

Nothing set me off.

I just think it's amusing how you say one is living in the shadow and act like the others have managed to get out.

If you want to make a statement like that, make sure you include everybody in it.

Axl didn't like living in the "shadow" of appetite in 1991! and now he's under a shadow far bigger than that one. and like i said, that shadow includes a man he despises.

Well the same goes for the others. They all know that Axl was part of that band.

They'll also have to live with the fact that they quit. They chose to leave the band but still manage to milk that time they spent in the band for everything it's worth.

and of course the other members haven't matched that success, but in the public's eye, they have done FAR more and FAR better than axl.

They'll always be "former GN'R members".

I don't know how you come to the conclusion that to release an album is whoring one out.

Here you are being positive and everything....

/jarmo
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:06:34 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Deb Rose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #381 on: February 28, 2009, 09:14:22 PM »

Gotta love people who knows how to run other peoples lives here...

ALways the same stuff.

When the album wasn't out, you guys were complaining about it.

When the album came out, you guys were asking when a dvd would come out, and when Chinese Democracy 2 was coming out.

When Axl doesn't give interviews you guys are begging him to do so.

When Axl DOES give an interview (and every time he does) you guys are whining about the fact that you don't like what he says!

One sentence is right for you.

GET ON BOARD OR FUCK OFF!

Jarmo, don't waste your time...Wink

That's exactly my feelings.

+1

I've got an itchy finger
And there'll be hell to pay
I?m gonna pull the trigger
And blow them all away
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #382 on: February 28, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »

I think what Sandman is saying is, they kind of sold the album to the highest bidder. That could be seen in some circles as whoring your album to the highest bidder.

Maybe that was strictly the record labels doing, I have no idea.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
sandman
Legend

« Reply #383 on: February 28, 2009, 09:32:11 PM »

jarmo, you can put words in people's mouths but it just hurts your argument. i'm not sure why my initial comment set you off since i was saying something really positive about axl caring more than most.

Nothing set me off.

I just think it's amusing how you say one is living in the shadow and act like the others have managed to get out.

If you want to make a statement like that, make sure you include everybody in it.

Axl didn't like living in the "shadow" of appetite in 1991! and now he's under a shadow far bigger than that one. and like i said, that shadow includes a man he despises.

Well the same goes for the others. They all know that Axl was part of that band.

They'll also have to live with the fact that they quit. They chose to leave the band but still manage to milk that time they spent in the band for everything it's worth.

and of course the other members haven't matched that success, but in the public's eye, they have done FAR more and FAR better than axl.

They'll always be "former GN'R members".

I don't know how you come to the conclusion that to release an album is whoring one out.

Here you are being positive and everything....

/jarmo

again, putting words in my mouth. i never acted "like the others have managed to get out." NOR did i ever come to the conlusion that "to release an album is whoring one out."

why so much focus on VR. i thought there was a section for that?

i agree...they do have to live with their decisions. it just doesn't seem to bother them much. i think they are happy to remember the good times with Axl as their frontman. they've all said nice things recently.

i feel bad for Axl cause for years i wrongly assumed that he was above all the bickering. i took his silence to mean it didn't bother him, he didn't care what was said, and he was taking the high road. turns out he DID care. big time. and now he's trying to make up for lost time and he's really put himself in a tough position. cause now he's criticizing the talents of a man that helped make Axl the person he is today.    

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #384 on: February 28, 2009, 09:40:24 PM »

I think what Sandman is saying is, they kind of sold the album to the highest bidder. That could be seen in some circles as whoring your album to the highest bidder.

Maybe that was strictly the record labels doing, I have no idea.

So if the alternative is no release at all, it would be better because you're not whoring yourself out?  Roll Eyes

All this time, it's one complaint after another from some of you.

again, putting words in my mouth. i never acted "like the others have managed to get out." NOR did i ever come to the conlusion that "to release an album is whoring one out."

No, you just liked to point out how Axl is the one living in the shadow and how successful the others have been.

You singled him out to make your point.

The fact is, the same goes for all of them. But you didn't care enough to make that observation since it was all about how Axl is living in the shadow...  Roll Eyes

cause now he's criticizing the talents of a man that helped make Axl the person he is today.    

The funny thing is that even Slash himself has admitted to some of the things Axl pointed out.

For example, his guitar work on the Contraband album. Apparently Slash was not happy with the end result....

Which is basically what Axl was saying, Slash isn't an artist that has kept growing. He doesn't seem inspired/motivated enough.

That's what he said.

You disagree and think all his guitar work after leaving GN'R has been mind blowing? Fine, your opinion.

You have your opinion, Axl has his. Pretty simple.

It's also worth noting that Axl said: "I'm not taking anything away from the man that are his to claim for his past efforts".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #385 on: February 28, 2009, 09:47:47 PM »

No No Jarmo, I was saying how the industry etc could perceive that as whoring.

I don't care about stuff like that. Personally I think whoring is when u do something non related to music just to try and stay in the limelight or revive your career. like reality show and shit like that.

if Axl does 2 million interviews, releases 1o videos and makes hundreds of appearances, that is fine cause that is what musicians and entertainers do. especially  mainstream huge artists.

I think people use the whoring thing too much to be honest. If u are famous and a mainstream band, u are technically selling yourself.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #386 on: February 28, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »

No No Jarmo, I was saying how the industry etc could perceive that as whoring.

I was commenting on sandman's claim that it could be seen as a "whore move".

I think people use the whoring thing too much to be honest.

Yeah. The thing is, if Axl went on one talk show, he would be labeled a media whore by some. Their logic is that if Slash is labeled one, the same goes for Axl.

The fact that it's not even in the same ballpark does not matter at all.

These are the same people who say things like "Axl should talk more and do more interviews". Well until he says something they don't like.  hihi

/jarmo

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #387 on: February 28, 2009, 10:22:05 PM »

For me, it isn't what Axl says, it is how he says it.

I think he was a bit harsh but if that is what he wants to say, that is fine. I have accepted the fact that Axl will never win in the court of public opinion. So really, nothing he says or does is gonna affect him.

I just think there is a better way of going about addressing this stuff. A more focused, calm effort where he doesn't come off as angry and bitter about it.

Now Slash just has to come out and take the high road and he will come out and look  even more sympathetic.

I feel like Axl has sort of won this. He has the name, he has his freedom to do what he wants, everyone acknowledges what a talented and genius  guy he is.

Slash telling lies isn't the only reason he has a bad public persona. I think the riots, late starts, one in a million etc etc have a bit to do with that also. Certainly stories the old band members said about him don't help.

I just don't get why he is so pissed at only Slash. I mean Izzy called him fucking Hitler in an interview and he still loves izzy.

He also didn't do himself any favors saying he'd still work with Izzy and Duff.

I mean if u are going from no reunion, to now working with Izzy and Duff............ next step is Slash and there u go.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #388 on: February 28, 2009, 10:30:07 PM »

cause now he's criticizing the talents of a man that helped make Axl the person he is today.    

The funny thing is that even Slash himself has admitted to some of the things Axl pointed out.

For example, his guitar work on the Contraband album. Apparently Slash was not happy with the end result....

Which is basically what Axl was saying, Slash isn't an artist that has kept growing. He doesn't seem inspired/motivated enough.

That's what he said.

You disagree and think all his guitar work after leaving GN'R has been mind blowing? Fine, your opinion.

You have your opinion, Axl has his. Pretty simple.

It's also worth noting that Axl said: "I'm not taking anything away from the man that are his to claim for his past efforts".

/jarmo
[/quote]

Jarmo, Slash wasn't happy with the "RECORDING" of his Guitar parts and the mix, etc....  I think the playing on You Got No Right, Fall To Pieces, Slither, and Alien is all top notch, it was Josh Abraham and the way he had to record in a booth that he wasn't fond of and felt held back at times.  Doesn't mean Slash wasn't motivated or wasn't trying.  It means he didn't like the way the producer did things. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #389 on: February 28, 2009, 11:02:43 PM »

Jarmo, Slash wasn't happy with the "RECORDING" of his Guitar parts and the mix, etc....  I think the playing on You Got No Right, Fall To Pieces, Slither, and Alien is all top notch, it was Josh Abraham and the way he had to record in a booth that he wasn't fond of and felt held back at times.  Doesn't mean Slash wasn't motivated or wasn't trying.  It means he didn't like the way the producer did things. 

"All in all, my playing is very reserved on that record, which is why there aren't as many solos as there could have been. I felt too restricted to improvise the way I usually do." - page 441

All this because he wanted to save some money by changing the studio where he did his parts.

Art doesn't come first for everybody....

/jarmo

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #390 on: February 28, 2009, 11:31:27 PM »

"All in all, my playing is very reserved on that record, which is why there aren't as many solos as there could have been. I felt too restricted to improvise the way I usually do." - page 441

All this because he wanted to save some money by changing the studio where he did his parts.

/jarmo

Isn't that the same thing I said?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #391 on: February 28, 2009, 11:49:59 PM »

/jarmo

I thought you were talking about how it was recorded, not how his playing is.

Slash wasn't happy with the "RECORDING" of his Guitar parts and the mix, etc.... 

While Slash mentions his playing being reserved, not the sound quality of the recording of his playing.

He even mentions the lack of solos.

"Very reserved" doesn't sound like a guy who's trying to push the envelope.

Sure, the experience is blamed on the equipment and producer, but Slash put himself in that studio due to him wanting to save some money.

If Axl thinks Slash's output hasn't been anything special, it's his opinion. Even Slash himself admits to having recording experiences that weren't to his liking (even though he has himself to blame).

So what's the problem if Axl  thinks Slash's material hasn't been to his liking? Is he not allowed to have an opinion?

So it's ok for you to say you don't like the guitars on Chinese Democracy, but when Axl says he doesn't like listening to Slash, he's the Antichrist?

/jarmo

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #392 on: March 01, 2009, 12:23:26 AM »

/jarmo

I thought you were talking about how it was recorded, not how his playing is.

Slash wasn't happy with the "RECORDING" of his Guitar parts and the mix, etc.... 

While Slash mentions his playing being reserved, not the sound quality of the recording of his playing.

He even mentions the lack of solos.

"Very reserved" doesn't sound like a guy who's trying to push the envelope.

Sure, the experience is blamed on the equipment and producer, but Slash put himself in that studio due to him wanting to save some money.

If Axl thinks Slash's output hasn't been anything special, it's his opinion. Even Slash himself admits to having recording experiences that weren't to his liking (even though he has himself to blame).

So what's the problem if Axl  thinks Slash's material hasn't been to his liking? Is he not allowed to have an opinion?

So it's ok for you to say you don't like the guitars on Chinese Democracy, but when Axl says he doesn't like listening to Slash, he's the Antichrist?

/jarmo

I think it actually burns Axl inside when Slash doesn't live up to potential because he knows that a guy like Finck alone could never fill the shoes of Slash and he may feel Slash pisses he talent away and could still be in GNR, but in his mind took the easy way out.  I think Slash at the Jimi Hendrix Tribute playing Hey Joe, and his new song Vocalise are two songs where he was on his A game.  On Vocalise Slash does push the envelope.  Many of Slash's solos on Contraband I find better than those on CD. 

Axl is entitled to an opinion, and he does know Slash was/is a special player.. Weather he wants to say that anymore is another story.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #393 on: March 01, 2009, 12:31:55 AM »

i for one am shocked and stunned that Smoking Guns is on the Slash side of this argument.  Shocked
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #394 on: March 01, 2009, 12:54:45 AM »

You know what? "D" is a cancer...and needs to be removed. He's the one stupid asshole that just never stops. Fuck him, cut him out like the tumor that he is and throw him in the trash.

Axl is God.
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #395 on: March 01, 2009, 01:05:31 AM »

I do not like VR at all and would never buy their cd's or go to their shows. I read what you wrote, but please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you support and attend several VR concerts? I remember seeing you in several pics with big smiles at VR shows.....ps. this is referring to big guy jarmos posts...
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #396 on: March 01, 2009, 01:10:20 AM »

God, this is ridiculous. Seriously, what the fuck is the big deal here? Axl called Slash a "cancer." So what? It isn't a secret that Axl and Slash aren't the best of friends. Love him or hate him for it, Axl has always been the kind of guy who speaks his mind and tells it like it is, regardless of who he may offend in the process.

I can't believe all the bickering back and forth that's going on in this thread. Aren't we all members of the same team? We're fans of Guns N' Roses--- past, present, and future.

Here Today . . .
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #397 on: March 01, 2009, 01:20:37 AM »

God, this is ridiculous. Seriously, what the fuck is the big deal here? Axl called Slash a "cancer." So what? It isn't a secret that Axl and Slash aren't the best of friends. Love him or hate him for it, Axl has always been the kind of guy who speaks his mind and tells it like it is, regardless of who he may offend in the process.

I can't believe all the bickering back and forth that's going on in this thread. Aren't we all members of the same team? We're fans of Guns N' Roses--- past, present, and future.

Someone finally said it!  This is exactly how I feel.  Slash and Axl don't have to like eachother, but that doesn't mean we can't like both.  I like Slash simply because he was a part of a band that I love, and I love Axl because I just do, and don't feel any explanation is needed.  Like it or not, without Axl's voice, there is no GnR, and I'm just glad to finally hear it again, so worrying about what was or what could have been just seems pointless.  Who cares about what they say about eachother... let's just enjoy the music.
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #398 on: March 01, 2009, 01:27:23 AM »

For me, it isn't what Axl says, it is how he says it.

I think he was a bit harsh but if that is what he wants to say, that is fine. I have accepted the fact that Axl will never win in the court of public opinion. So really, nothing he says or does is gonna affect him.

I just think there is a better way of going about addressing this stuff. A more focused, calm effort where he doesn't come off as angry and bitter about it.

Now Slash just has to come out and take the high road and he will come out and look  even more sympathetic.

I feel like Axl has sort of won this. He has the name, he has his freedom to do what he wants, everyone acknowledges what a talented and genius  guy he is.

Slash telling lies isn't the only reason he has a bad public persona. I think the riots, late starts, one in a million etc etc have a bit to do with that also. Certainly stories the old band members said about him don't help.

I just don't get why he is so pissed at only Slash. I mean Izzy called him fucking Hitler in an interview and he still loves izzy.

He also didn't do himself any favors saying he'd still work with Izzy and Duff.

I mean if u are going from no reunion, to now working with Izzy and Duff............ next step is Slash and there u go.

We all fell in love with this band partially because of the way Axl says what he says.  He's never been known for being mild, and that's one of the many things I love about him, and a big part of what made and makes GnR so incredible.  I get what you're saying, but again, that's the attitude that makes him who he is, and I love it!!!!!!!!!  Could we really expect anything less?
sworrm
Rocker

« Reply #399 on: March 01, 2009, 08:48:49 AM »

At the end of the day i personally dont care whos fault anything is im just into the music. I dont have to like the musician or his views to love there music. I think Axl is more talented than Slash but cant take ote away from Slash"s playing on Appetite and illusions. Hopefully now Axl has gotten that off his chest he will start talking more about the present and future and less about the past
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: