Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 02:09:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227993 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  factorfiction Axl Rose is not a legend!
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: factorfiction Axl Rose is not a legend!  (Read 13901 times)
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2004, 12:41:48 PM »

I'm sure he's a legend in his own mind, if nowhere else... hihi
POPmetal
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2004, 01:48:38 PM »

He is rockstar that's for sure. But he is not in the same category with Jimmy Hendrix, Jim Morrison. That's because he just disappeared when he was on top and keep silent for more 10 years.

These people are overrated. I don't care for them much. Axl had a much better voice than Morrison and he sure as hell wrote better songs than brillo head. You don't have to necessarily die in your prime and be worshipped by the media to become a legend.  
POPmetal
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2004, 01:53:50 PM »

Fact, Axl Rose isn't a legend.

Name recognition doesn't make someone a legend. Big deal, a fifteen year old can name Axl Rose and 5 of his songs. The same fifteen yearold can tell you who Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer are, does that make them legendary? If it does, is that the group of legends you want Axl Rose with?

If he were to die in the prime of his career, for example, if he died durring the Use Your Illusion Tour, than yes he would have gotten instant legend status. Or if they had a sustained 15-20 year career with multiple albums and multiple supporting tours, than he might be considered a legend. But the fact that he had for all intents and purposes a five year career 88'-93' kills his legend status.

We are a very small group of people who expect anything out of this new album. I'd even go so far as to say that 50% of the people you ask about Chinese Democracy wouldn't even realize that he is working on an album. If you took the combined population of all of these GnR message boards we wouldn't have enough people to fill a small college basketball arena. Kurt Loder and ourselves are the only people who care about him anymore. No One Cares.................Legend to who??

that's a bogus argument. 50% of what people are you asking? if you ask 50% of the general public what's Sid Vicious doing right now? They'd be like: "duhhh, I don't know?!?" Same thing would apply if you ask them is Eminem working on a new record? (not that I think he's a legend, yet). Like you yourself said, name recognition doesn't make someone a legend. What makes someone a legend is writing classics like November Rain and albums like AFD. Therefore, most of GN'R, except for Adler and Sorum, are legends.

And does Kurt Cobain's three year career kill his legend status? Not unless you think that the only way somebody can become a "legend" is to die in their prime and have their ass worshipped by the media. But that's a really lame definition that only relegates the term legend.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 02:54:57 PM by POPmetal » Logged
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2004, 07:55:36 PM »

Fact Axl Rose is a legend. Look at the songs he has written like NR, Estranged, and many more.  Smiley

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
Dizzy
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2004, 08:59:56 PM »

that's a bogus argument.

No, everything said there was right on target.

What makes someone a legend is writing classics like November Rain and albums like AFD.

No it doesn't.  That is a bogus argument.  Plenty of bands and singers have written great songs and albums, but not all of them are legendary.

Therefore, most of GN'R are legends.

That is patently absurd statement.  You're saying Duff McKagan is a legend?  Izzy Stradlin?  Give me a break!  Much as I love Duff and Izzy, they aren't legends, and they are never going to be legends.

And does Kurt Cobain's three year career kill his legend status?

Actually, Kurt Cobain isn't really considered a legend.  He became an icon, but not a legend.
POPmetal
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2004, 09:13:53 PM »

that's a bogus argument.

No, everything said there was right on target.

What makes someone a legend is writing classics like November Rain and albums like AFD.

No it doesn't.  That is a bogus argument.  Plenty of bands and singers have written great songs and albums, but not all of them are legendary.

Therefore, most of GN'R are legends.

That is patently absurd statement.  You're saying Duff McKagan is a legend?  Izzy Stradlin?  Give me a break!  Much as I love Duff and Izzy, they aren't legends, and they are never going to be legends.

And does Kurt Cobain's three year career kill his legend status?

Actually, Kurt Cobain isn't really considered a legend.  He became an icon, but not a legend.

I disagree, I still think the argument was bogus cuz asking a 50% of some unspecified group of people isn't a benchmark for gaining legendary status. nor do I think the length of one's career is an issue.

As for your second point, I have to admit I was wrong about that one. Though, GN'R certainly wrote and played great music and did become legends as a result.

And I don't care for Kurt Cobain. To me he isn't a legend, but I only mentioned him cuz most MTV butt puppets around here seem to think he is.
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2004, 11:10:35 PM »

No.

Axl could have been a legend if he had done one of three things:

1. Killed himself (ala Kurt Cobain) at the height of his career (he threatened to do so - just watch the making of "Don't Cry" the video).

2. Made a great and successful album with the old lineup in 1996 and thus had shown the world that like Metallica, Bon Jovi, U2 and RHCP, that GNR could also transcend the "alternative - grunge" era that had seemed to wipe 80's metal and rock clean.

3. Released the NEW GNR ALBUM to great critical acclaim and financial success and thus shown that he could take a great Rock band's name and continue it alone SUCCESSFULLY.

So far, last time I checked, Axl hasn't done any of the three. If he just hangs on to where he is now, or even if he were to (God Forbid) commit suicide, he would never attain rock legendary status.

Only thing left for Axl is Death, Jail (personal) or Rock N' Roll!!!

Come on Axl. What's it gonna be?
 rant
MNR
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 11:12:11 PM by marknroses » Logged

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2004, 03:30:03 AM »

marknroses as usual stole the words right out of my mouth!

he is exactly right

legend is thrown around to loosely

its hard for us to be objective cause we love axl so much but think about it, elvis presley isa legend, he still sells records posthumously and is a huge attraction

no one will know axl rose in 20 years except for us unless he does something

he still has a shot but as it stands right now he isnt

jon bon jovi isnt a legend and he is one of the most recognizable rock stars on the planet and one of my all time heroes but i dont consider him to be a legend either

that been said there arent many legends i would thrust that honor upon to be honest

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2004, 10:41:52 AM »

marknroses as usual stole the words right out of my mouth!

he is exactly right

legend is thrown around to loosely

its hard for us to be objective cause we love axl so much but think about it, elvis presley isa legend, he still sells records posthumously and is a huge attraction

no one will know axl rose in 20 years except for us unless he does something

he still has a shot but as it stands right now he isnt

jon bon jovi isnt a legend and he is one of the most recognizable rock stars on the planet and one of my all time heroes but i dont consider him to be a legend either

that been said there arent many legends i would thrust that honor upon to be honest

I never said that jon Bon Jovi was a legend, nor is anthony kiedis.
In the future though, that designation may apply to BONO and JAMES HETFIELD, because their music had a greater impact on the music industry and the world at large.

I think Axl could have already past all those frontmen if he had kept making music with the old band (or put out music with the new band). His acts off the stage are "stuff of legends" and would certainly bolster his image for all time.
But when a window opens and shuts fast (6 years), you can't help but question how much music was left in Axl when he checked out in 1994.

I get the feeling that's why he's not content making just one rock record with this new band (which may or may never come out -
we'll see in May 2004
 Lips Sealed
MNR

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2004, 11:16:01 AM »

Hes a legend as far as Im concerned...
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2004, 12:58:10 PM »

Axl is a legend a lot young people know Axl well the young guns I know I am only 17 and I know a lot young people about the age 14 and they know who Axl is.

EEEERRRR Little boy
AeroRose62
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2004, 06:00:15 PM »

Axl Rose is by far a legend!

I must dissagree with you Just_One. I myself am a teenager and I know for a fact that most teenagers today know who Axl Rose is. The thing is, not all consider him to be the legend that I personally feel as though he is. This is because of the performance on the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards. The matter of the fact is, they do know who he is, along with GNR. Trust me when I say, I didn't grow up with GNR, I discovered them on my own. How... through Axl Rose. At my school (an all girl Catholic High school, who are mostly into boy bands along with nasty rap, with the exception of my friends and myself), consider Guns N' Roses to be a band in the past, but the music lives on. That means that Axl Rose lives on...after all, the man is a legend!
lisaoreflex
Opening Act

Loved Axl from the beginning.

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2004, 12:05:18 AM »

Axl would have been hands down, no doubt a legend if he had OD'd.  But he didn't ( thank God). What if all the faithless fans and others are just hateful. What if Axl may be doing the smart thing and taking some time to recupperate, enjoy his life and just be alive as he waits for our music to come back. Since Kurt Cobain ended the grunge movement everything has basically been floundering around for a bit. But our stuff is coming back and GnR will be accepted again now. Anyone can come back from the eighties and hit it again. Then the world will be ready and primed for Axl to come back. Until then sit back and be thankful for what we had. The radio is playing Sweet Child as I write this. I am thankful for the music and his voice. I smile every time I hear him.  Smiley

Music brings the world together in one united sound.
Let's unite and ROCK the world.
lisaoreflex
Opening Act

Loved Axl from the beginning.

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2004, 12:13:51 AM »

Axl said it all in the beginning. All we need is a little Patience.  Wink ok

Music brings the world together in one united sound.
Let's unite and ROCK the world.
rolleri
Headliner

rock n' roll

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2004, 10:39:57 AM »

thats the topic debate debate debate

fact or fiction

axl rose isnt a legend

tough question. at least he's a rock-legend...

Gn'f'n'R's
SwedeChildO'Mine
Guy in the locker, feeling like a
Rocker

W. Axl Rose - Pure talent

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2004, 03:47:16 PM »

People "in the right age" surely knows who Axl is.

Thats why he's a legend.  ok
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: