Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:38:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal  (Read 69379 times)
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2005, 10:30:58 AM »

was it songbooks?? nervous?
What I find weird is that Axl signed also for the old material,
rerecordin of appetite? Huh

I THINK that administration piece goes hand in hand with the publishing (ie: songboooks) rights
this is actually nervebad coffee  hihi thanks 4 the update, cool if stuff is happenin now beer
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 10:33:54 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2005, 10:53:07 AM »

K i dont really understand this...This has nothing to do with the music correct? or the legal battles correct?  So what does it have to do with?

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2005, 10:59:08 AM »

fuckin songbooks...? Roll Eyes hope it's not just that? Wink

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2005, 11:04:30 AM »

fuckin songbooks...? Roll Eyes hope it's not just that? Wink

Songbook.. Humm, Booklet? In CD? haha i could be  Kiss

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2005, 01:07:55 PM »

It is not about songbooks. It is a deal with Sanctuary Music Publishing not Sanctuary Publishing.
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2005, 01:16:29 PM »

Even if it would be just songbooks, I'm glad to hear that Axl's ties to Sanctuary seem to be growing stronger by minute. With Merck as a bigshot over there, Axl couldn't really ask for a better backing.

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2005, 01:31:27 PM »

This is confusing.

It doesn't mention anything about songbooks on their website. I'm not sure of the difference between 'record' and 'music publishing' businesses, although apparently licensing refers to the use of songs in movies, radio play etc.

I can't see why anyone would make a big deal out of songbooks, but on the other hand why haven't Sanctuary mentioned the deal on the website?  This aside It appears that the company sees GNR as one of its key assets in its portfolio, and that can't be a bad thing! Maybe this is the 'activity' someone was talking about last week?, or the 'announcement' Mysteron mentioned that the management were thinking of announcing in December?

At least SOMETHING is happening!

Here today...ready to rock
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2005, 02:11:04 PM »

i think this means that "things are happening"....obviously, something has happened to motivate axl to make this deal...that something possibly being the completion and release of CD in the near future.  if nothing had changed and nothing was going on, then axl would have no reason to do this...i think it is one of the many steps toward the release of CD...
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2005, 02:22:37 PM »

I think this is the first time people in general, REALLY think that something are about to happend! Hope we are right!  smoking

Nytunz.blogspot.com

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2005, 02:27:20 PM »

It means Axl opened up the magic box of FINAL LEAD VOCAL TRACKS and FULL SONG LYRICS for COPYRIGHTING the new material.

That would be the optimistic interpretation ; I hope it's the right one... On the other hand, maybe Axl's previous publishing deal came to an end and he had to make a new one for his old material. But the news story does say "future" so it should be good !

Anyway, here's what a publishing company does ; it's basically an intermediary between the songwriter and the record company :

Typically, songwriters assign the publishing rights for their songs to music publishing companies, who perform a number of marketing and promotional services to generate revenue for the songwriters they represent:

Exploitation: One of the more important functions of song publishers is "plugging" songs -- getting artists interested in recording a songwriter's work. Your song doesn't make any money if nobody uses it, and song plugging was an especially important aspect of the publishing business prior to the 1960s, when many songwriters were not also performers and primarily supplied tunes for other singers.

Licensing: Music publishers also administer the granting and collection of royalties for various types of licenses:

Mechanical licenses: Songwriters receive royalties whenever someone sells recorded versions of their songs. If a songwriter records his own work, he receives royalties from his record label; if someone else records a cover version of his song, the songwriter receives royalties from that artist's record label.

Synchronization licenses: Songwriters receive royalties when their songs are sychronized to visual images, typically for use in films, television programs, and commercials.

Print licenses: Songwriters receive royalties for the sale of their songs in printed form, generally either as sheet music or entries in songbooks. Publishers who wish to quote or include song lyrics in a printed work must also obtain permission (and negotiate fees) with whoever holds the publishing rights to those songs.

Performing rights licenses: Songwriters receive royalties when their songs are performed live for profit or broadcast on the radio, although these licenses are usually administered by performing rights societies such as ASCAP or BMI rather than publishing companies themselves.

This was from : http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/jackson.htm
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2005, 02:30:02 PM »

I'm in the Intellectual Property/Licensing industry, so maybe I can shed some light here to the naive.

This is HUGE, at least from a business and licensing perspective. And this is just not about publishing Music books. This is about Sancturay being the brokering agent for the copyrights to the GNR catalogue.

Basically, owning, or at least brokering the publishing rights to a music composition is maintaining licensing of the copyright of the work.

When you hear Rock N' Roll by Zep on the Caddy commercial, the licensing party (Cadillac or their ad agency) would license the Publishing rights to the song (i.e. the copyright of the song) and the Master Recording and Synchronization rights (the Zeppelin version and not some re-record). Sanctuary now maintains the rights to licensing the GNR catalogue. So when you hear WTTJ in the San Andreas adverts, Take 2/Rock Star Games had to license these rights. And that my friends, cost a BUNDLE. I've dealt w/ such licensing. Even a lesser known song could command $50K to $150 K for just the Publishing rights alone. Using a certain version to a song is a whole separate deal.

Obtaining a license to copyrighted material is of course obvious these days (hellooooo illegal downloading). If you are to hear a GNR song anywhere, ASCAP and BMI will broker licensing, even to play on a jukebox in your local bar (at least here in the States). When you don't have a license, then that's where lawsuits and cease & desist letters start coming into play.

When one source can maintain a catalogue to such a band/musician, just think of how much the rights holder(s) can make on licensing alone. Me, I can't count that high......

Obviously, I'm just DYING to know what Axl got for licensing WTTJ for San Andreas. Lucky bastard and SMART F**KING MOVE (I mean that in a good way). ok

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2005, 02:34:44 PM »

actually, it doesn't really even matter what this deal is for...what matters is that axl has actually done something...and we all know that axl rarely does anything, uless it is for something huge...it appears this is the first of many deals/plans to be made in the near future...the ball is rolling...now the question becomes:  where does it stop?
madagas
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2005, 02:36:18 PM »

This seems like it contradicts the Slash /Duff lawsuit over rights to the back catalog...unless that issue was settled and Rose now controls all of it. I know there is more to it than my simple reasoning however Rose "SEEMS" to be in control. Who the fuck knows but we do know he probably needed a new publisher for the new album so I too believe this is a much bigger deal than "songbooks". Come on Pilferk, we need more out of you than that. peace
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2005, 02:50:40 PM »

Wow what's happening!
Finally some News?Jolly good?

covers all catalogue on futures for the composer, including classics such as G'N'R's Sweet Child Of Mine.

I wonder What effects it makes on Slash n Duff?s lawsuit?  Or this one's the egg not the chicken Huh

And Does it mean GN'R finished with Geffen?
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2005, 02:55:47 PM »

gnr is still with geffen...geffen is gnr's label.  when a band releases an album, that album has both a record label, and a publisher...axl has chosen sanctuary to be his publisher....geffen is still the record label...this is a huge deal...and, no - it's not just for songbooks, this has to do with the album and singles...axl appears to be taking the steps to release this muthafucka
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 03:00:38 PM by blues rocker » Logged
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2005, 02:56:44 PM »

Isn't Sanctuary Gn'R's new label ?
Couldn't it be that Axl was somehow made to make a publishing deal with Sanctuary to make up for the eternal delay of CD ?
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2005, 03:01:55 PM »

...axl appears to be taking the steps to release this muthafucka

Exactly...I haven't gotten optimistic about any of the premature rumors in the past, but this is clearly a sign that it's coming. If the album wasn't ready or still needed a lot of work, it would be pointless for either party to sign the deal (other than holding the rights to the lucrative back catalog).
I don't think this agreement would have taken place if  the artist, management, publisher and record company weren't on the same page for preparing for the release of CD.

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2005, 03:02:23 PM »

Couldn't it be that Axl was somehow made to make a publishing deal with Sanctuary to make up for the eternal delay of CD ?

Yes, they are, but they are not on theyr band list yet

Nytunz.blogspot.com

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2005, 03:10:40 PM »

no...sanctuary is not a label, they are a publisher....they are two different things...every album/song has a label and a publisher...axl has just chosen sanctuary to be the publisher of gnr's future material...geffen will still be the record label. 
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2005, 06:06:02 PM »

It's a proper music publishing deal from what I understand

ok
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: