Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:33:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose signs Publishing Deal  (Read 69954 times)
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2005, 02:41:25 AM »

publishing is a strategic priority for the group".
thats a funny comment  hihi

Chinese Democracy, the band's long awaited album is due for release some time between April and Christmas depending on which report's you believe.
yay, hope 4 april, thanks for the link CR  beer

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2005, 02:47:36 AM »

Well,

this is the first news report that has made me happy in a loooooong time....

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2005, 02:59:32 AM »

here is a very good website regarding these issues - for those of you who are interested:
http://www.musicjournal.org/01publishingresource.html

includes info that helps understand about what Music Publishing is ?(and no it does not pertain to only lyrics - (songwriting is not just lyrics - songwriting includes the music also)

and also something that it helped me understand more is about the difference between the publishing company and the record company...

"The Rationale for Music Publishing

To appreciate the processes involved in music publishing, one must first understand that songs are, legally, treated as entirely separate and distinct from sound recordings....
... the song is the intellectual property of the songwriter(s), and not the intellectual property of the recording artist or record company.

Consequently, songs (as creative works) can be copyrighted separately from sound recordings. This notion of copyrighting songs is the fundamental concept that underpins the entire music publishing industry.

The actual term ?music publishing? is derived from the traditional business of printing sheet music. Before early soundcarriers were even invented in the last quarter of the nineteenth century... music publishers were already active in the mass production of sheet music for public consumption...

The generic expression ?music publishing? has continued through to the present day; although, in practice, printing sheet music is now only one (smaller) aspect of the work of the modern music publisher.

Songs differ from records in many ways of course. Unlike records, songs are not physical entities, unless they are made tangible in some form (such as print)...

This distinction between songs and records means that songwriters can enter into publishing deals in much the same way as recording artists can sign record deals. Music publishers then manage these song 'catalogues'. In doing so, they serve to protect the songs? copyright, and to exploit the works to the benefit of both the songwriter and the publisher. Record companies, meanwhile, undertake the risk management activity of recording, manufacturing, promoting and distributing sound recordings."

another link to check out: ?http://www.mpaonline.org.uk/faqs/what_is_pub.html

also what helped me understand what the relationship is between the songwriter, the music publisher, and the record company is this little tidbit
(in our case Axl, Sanctuary Music Publishing, and Geffen)

"A song can only be manufactured into a physical product (a CD, for example) by securing a ?mechanical licence?, and on payment of a mechanical royalty to the songwriter."(source is the first link i posted)

What is a mechanical license?
A mechanical license is the license issued by a publisher to a licensee, typically a record company, granting the licensee the right to record and release a specific compostion at an agreed-upon fee, per unit manufactured and distributed.
(source is http://www.harryfox.com/public/infoFAQMechanicalLicensing.jsp

a SONG and a RECORDING are not the same thing

a song exists as soon as its composition is complete - lyrics and music - (intellectual property)
btw: ?yrics wtihout music is not a song
a recording is a physical manifestation of the song - (it becomes tangible property)
seems to me that publishers handle the biusiness of whatever is done with the song
such as whether it take the form of an audio recording or if it be printed sheet music or printed lyrics

btw... the links contain some very interesting stuff (to me anyways! hehe)
like according to the info i've read ?at least HALF of the money that is paid to the publisher by the recording label goes to the artist
versus only 18% of what the record company takes in going to the artist
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 03:21:40 AM by Christos AG » Logged
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2005, 03:14:06 AM »

Isn't Sanctuary Gn'R's new label ?
Couldn't it be that Axl was somehow made to make a publishing deal with Sanctuary to make up for the eternal delay of CD ?

no...sanctuary is not a label, they are a publisher....they are two different things...every album/song has a label and a publisher...axl has just chosen sanctuary to be the publisher of gnr's future material...geffen will still be the record label.

Actually, Sanctuary does have a record label.  Tommy's solo CD was released by Sanctuary Records, and Axl was also encouraging them to release Buckethead's material until he decided Buckethead was just "using" GN'R to get promotion for his solo efforts.

Guns N' Roses is not signed to Sanctuary Records though, they still have a deal with Geffen.  They are managed by Sanctuary, though.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2005, 03:49:18 AM »

It's hard to tell exactly what this is all about. I just think we all should be cautious here though. Whether it's lyrics, music, sheet music or something more I would be more than willing to bet that the main thing Sanctuary was interested in was Axl's material with the original band. There will always be money to be made off of Guns' old material- so if Axl never releases another note of recorded music- I think Sanctuary will still walk away from this agreement very happy indeed. In other words, IMHO I think this much more about AFD and UYI than it is about CD.

Speaking more broadly though- it's always a good thing anytime Axl can dispose of one of the seemingly endless legal issues on his desk. Hopefully this is all part of a larger effort to get GN'R's house in order so that CD can come out this year. ok

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2005, 03:59:58 AM »

Another article says the deal suggests that CD release "may well be imminent".

Check the whole history here: http://www.thenewguns.com/index.php?sid=41e06ee6ee8a2eab608254ef27bdc052

Thanks to RainX!  ok

DemocracyRose
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2005, 04:47:58 AM »

Check the whole history here: http://www.thenewguns.com/index.php?sid=41e06ee6ee8a2eab608254ef27bdc052

Thanks to RainX!? ok

Things are looking good at the moment... ok
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 06:01:03 AM by DemocracyRose » Logged
SADIS
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2005, 05:23:13 AM »

Thanks to RainX!? ok

I only get linked to the main page.... can you tell me what's in the article?
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2005, 05:34:56 AM »

I only get linked to the main page.... can you tell me what's in the article?

prolly the same as v  links in this thread  ok
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=18265.0

leesixxrose
Banned
VIP

I love Kiki

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2005, 06:35:39 AM »

At least SOMETHING is happening!

Not really... This doesnt mean shit and it doesnt make Chinese Democracy that much closer to being released..  Everyone thinks this album is going to be a masterpiece but nobody knows shit about it.. not even the bass player or the keyboard player....
ccorn69
VIP

Dreaming and waiting

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2005, 07:02:01 AM »

Im crossing my fingers that this is finally the year... this news gives me hope

Thats not Stardust on my feet...
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2005, 07:16:25 AM »

so it's not only song books then. GREAT Roll Eyes ok

thanks for the updates on music publishing Eva, brilliant!

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2005, 07:35:39 AM »

I also noticed that Sanctuary Group owns Helter Skelter, a major live agency. It could be part of a future effort from the band to move all their activities (publishing, management, live performances) into the same group. That way they wouldn't have to deal with Clear Channel anymore.
Just speculation on my part here......

Interesting you say that, cuz helter skelter were the first people (sponsors?) for the aborted UK tour in 2001 (I have a big fat poster advertising it on my wall!)
Weird that after that, and doug goldsteins apology, they went to clear channel for the 02 tour. and now it looks like they may go back to helter skelter!?!?!!!!

bob

Back In Power
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2005, 07:55:34 AM »

Yeah thanks Eva. I'll read them over to digest later. ok

The Chicken or the egg,  Maybe the Greatest Hits comes first.
Axl sued Geffen to stop the GH release. Then The management stated Axl worried about that it would delay the release of CD.
"founding member W. Axl Rose is concerned that not only will their audience be misled into believing that the planned compilation is an authorized release, but that it will hinder the release of the band's long awaited new studio album CHINESE DEMOCRACY."
It could be GH that lit the fuse of this karma.

It's just a thought. But it seems to me The Die is cast.

Actually, Sanctuary does have a record label.  Tommy's solo CD was released by Sanctuary Records, and Axl was also encouraging them to release Buckethead's material until he decided Buckethead was just "using" GN'R to get promotion for his solo efforts.

Guns N' Roses is not signed to Sanctuary Records though, they still have a deal with Geffen.  They are managed by Sanctuary, though.
Or not YET, Maybe? Heaven knows.
Morrissey said it took him long time to find the proper label. After long consideration, he chose Sanctuary for their high supportiveness to music n musicians among others.
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2005, 08:27:33 AM »

Interesting you say that, cuz helter skelter were the first people (sponsors?) for the aborted UK tour in 2001 (I have a big fat poster advertising it on my wall!)
Weird that after that, and doug goldsteins apology, they went to clear channel for the 02 tour. and now it looks like they may go back to helter skelter!?!?!!!!

bob

Yep, I've got the same poster and it actually says Clear Channel and Helter Skelter.
But I've just checked Sanctuary Group's website and it seems that Helter Skelter is only active outside America, so this is not going to work....

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2005, 08:48:05 AM »

They could still work with CC but not directly...

Sure the 2002 tour didn't bring that much money in, but once the cd comes out and it's a hit, they'll sell many tickets and CC executives can definitely apologize... Money is above all for them.

The thing is that we'll probably never find out the truth about what happened between CC and the GNR camp, but from what I know, GNR got a bit screwed by CC...

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2005, 08:55:00 AM »

well, im pretty sure bouth parts have been doing all they can do to make up for that failure! Im sure CC have seen the album sales of GH and are willing to suport GNR agaim

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2005, 08:59:15 AM »

but from what I know, GNR got a bit screwed by CC...
what do you know? never heard so much about this... they not welcome back to cc?

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2005, 09:05:53 AM »

but from what I know, GNR got a bit screwed by CC...
what do you know? never heard so much about this... they not welcome back to cc?

CC screwed GNR back in 2002.

I'm not sure if they have the same opinion after the release of GH. It sold too much...

Let's see if CD will have the same success...

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2005, 09:14:40 AM »

Guns N' Roses mainman Axl Rose has signed a new publishing deal with one of the fastest growing music groups, according to Soundgenerator.

In recent years, Sanctuary Music Group have followed an aggressive strategy of signing established acts to its catalogue to gain market share and publishing rights. Axl Rose follows a string of high-profile artists including Lou Reed, Fun Loving Criminals, UB40, the New York Dolls and Morrissey onto Sanctuary's roster.

The deal, confirmed by the label yesterday (January 24), will include all Guns N' Roses back catalogue and new material. A spokesperson for Sanctuary Group told Music Week the deal represents the latest step in building the Sanctuary Music Publishing portfolio, adding 'publishing is a strategic priority for the group.'

Maybe been posted before, but in case

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: