Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:04:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Article Axl Rose Suffers with Bipolar Disorder
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Article Axl Rose Suffers with Bipolar Disorder  (Read 22700 times)
Sterlingdog
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2005, 11:29:23 PM »

I also have a degree in psychology, and actually work in the field.  My opinion is that many many people are diagnosed with bipolar disorder, or other disorders, who are perfectly healthy.  People don't like to feel bad, so they decide there is something wrong with them and take medication.  If I could convince people of anything, its that mood swings are normal, feeling sad is part of life, as is feeling happy.  If you are depressed, maybe its because your life sucks.  Change what's wrong and maybe you will feel better.  Take drugs and you might feel better, but your life won't improve.  Also, if you never feel truly sad, you will never feel happy.  So with drugs, you give up human emotions.  It might be necessary for some people, but I think it should be avoided when possible.  I'm not saying Bipolar disorder and/or depression aren't real.  I'm just saying they are way over-diagnosed. 

As far as if Axl is bipolar or not, I can't tell.  His behavior may just be a reaction to his childhood.  Its not necessarily an actual mental disorder.  A diagnosis means virtually nothing.  Psychology is an art, not a science.  There is no test to prove Bipolar disorder. You could walk into 3 different psychiatrists offices and get three different diagnosis.  So don't put too much stock in what one psychiatrist told Axl 15 years ago.   
snooze72
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2005, 02:07:31 AM »

Hey Dave, where was this article published?

We have always know that Axl was bi polar, at least I have. All you have to do is watch Axl and you can tell he is bi polar.

why?

By his mannerisms and his antics over his career.? I have a psych degree so maybe I am better at picking up on that, but you do know what bi polar is right?

IF not read this and tell me this does not sound like Axl.

What Are the Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder?

Bipolar disorder causes dramatic mood swings?from overly "high" and/or irritable to sad and hopeless, and then back again, often with periods of normal mood in between. Severe changes in energy and behavior go along with these changes in mood. The periods of highs and lows are called episodes of mania and depression.

Signs and symptoms of mania (or a manic episode) include:
Increased energy, activity, and restlessness
Excessively "high," overly good, euphoric mood
Extreme irritability
Racing thoughts and talking very fast, jumping from one idea to another
Distractibility, can't concentrate well
Little sleep needed
Unrealistic beliefs in one's abilities and powers
Poor judgment
Spending sprees
A lasting period of behavior that is different from usual
Increased sexual drive
Abuse of drugs, particularly cocaine, alcohol, and sleeping medications
Provocative, intrusive, or aggressive behavior
Denial that anything is wrong
A manic episode is diagnosed if elevated mood occurs with three or more of the other symptoms most of the day, nearly every day, for 1 week or longer. If the mood is irritable, four additional symptoms must be present.

Signs and symptoms of depression (or a depressive episode) include:
Lasting sad, anxious, or empty mood
Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
Loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed, including sex
Decreased energy, a feeling of fatigue or of being "slowed down"
Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
Restlessness or irritability
Sleeping too much, or can't sleep
Change in appetite and/or unintended weight loss or gain
Chronic pain or other persistent bodily symptoms that are not caused by physical illness or injury
Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2005, 09:43:07 AM »

"Nobody suffers but you who complain" 

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2005, 10:51:43 AM »

I also have a degree in psychology, and actually work in the field.  My opinion is that many many people are diagnosed with bipolar disorder, or other disorders, who are perfectly healthy.  People don't like to feel bad, so they decide there is something wrong with them and take medication.  If I could convince people of anything, its that mood swings are normal, feeling sad is part of life, as is feeling happy.  If you are depressed, maybe its because your life sucks.  Change what's wrong and maybe you will feel better.  Take drugs and you might feel better, but your life won't improve.  Also, if you never feel truly sad, you will never feel happy.  So with drugs, you give up human emotions.  It might be necessary for some people, but I think it should be avoided when possible.  I'm not saying Bipolar disorder and/or depression aren't real.  I'm just saying they are way over-diagnosed. 

As far as if Axl is bipolar or not, I can't tell.  His behavior may just be a reaction to his childhood.  Its not necessarily an actual mental disorder.  A diagnosis means virtually nothing.  Psychology is an art, not a science.  There is no test to prove Bipolar disorder. You could walk into 3 different psychiatrists offices and get three different diagnosis.  So don't put too much stock in what one psychiatrist told Axl 15 years ago.   

Are we talking advanced degree or bachelor's?

I agree with your post from a layman's perspective but some other people in this thread appeared to have been recruited by the Church of Scientology. Manic Depression and a bi polar disorder are serious problems which, despite what tom cruise says, do originate from brain chemistry. I think many here are just shrugging these off especially in axl's case, but until you have had a moment of complete emotional breakdown, it is difficult if not impossible to understand the power of the mind.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Sterlingdog
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2005, 11:04:05 AM »

I agree with your post from a layman's perspective but some other people in this thread appeared to have been recruited by the Church of Scientology. Manic Depression and a bi polar disorder are serious problems which, despite what tom cruise says, do originate from brain chemistry. I think many here are just shrugging these off especially in axl's case, but until you have had a moment of complete emotional breakdown, it is difficult if not impossible to understand the power of the mind.

Advanced.  I chose not to continue into Clinical Psychology, however, when I came to the conclusion that 90% of people don't want to change, they just want to whine and be told its not their fault.

Yes, bipolar disorder is a psychotic disorder, that studies suggest is due to brain chemistry.  But you can't have your brain chemistry tested and be told you are psychotic.  The diagnosis comes from subjective interpretations of your behavior.  I know/work with people who are truly psychotic and there really isn't too much question about their mental illness.  Its pervasive in every aspect of their lives.  But I also know plenty of people who just want to take drugs to feel better and avoid dealing with what is truly wrong in their lives. 

As far as Tom Cruise goes, he's a nut who's been brainwashed by a cult.  While psych meds are excessively over used, in my opinion, they do serve a good purpose for some people.  I know people who would surely have killed themselves with out the correct meds.  But all pysch meds have side effects and I think should be avoided when possible. 

But back to Axl, I don't think any of us will ever know enough about him to make a judgement about his mental state.  My understanding is that he has been involved with some people/practices very similar to some cults.  Who knows what that could do to a person's mind, especially someone who was on the edge anyway.  I don't know if he's ever even done traditional therapy, just regression therapy, which is questionable at best. 
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2005, 11:20:07 AM »

Advanced.  I chose not to continue into Clinical Psychology, however, when I came to the conclusion that 90% of people don't want to change, they just want to whine and be told its not their fault.

Yes, bipolar disorder is a psychotic disorder, that studies suggest is due to brain chemistry.  But you can't have your brain chemistry tested and be told you are psychotic.  The diagnosis comes from subjective interpretations of your behavior.  I know/work with people who are truly psychotic and there really isn't too much question about their mental illness.  Its pervasive in every aspect of their lives.  But I also know plenty of people who just want to take drugs to feel better and avoid dealing with what is truly wrong in their lives. 

As far as Tom Cruise goes, he's a nut who's been brainwashed by a cult.  While psych meds are excessively over used, in my opinion, they do serve a good purpose for some people.  I know people who would surely have killed themselves with out the correct meds.  But all pysch meds have side effects and I think should be avoided when possible. 

But back to Axl, I don't think any of us will ever know enough about him to make a judgement about his mental state.  My understanding is that he has been involved with some people/practices very similar to some cults.  Who knows what that could do to a person's mind, especially someone who was on the edge anyway.  I don't know if he's ever even done traditional therapy, just regression therapy, which is questionable at best. 

Considering some of Axl's past statements about the pharmaceutical industry, I'm surprised he hasn't been approached by the Church of Scientology.

I do remember a report from a fan who talked to Duff on an airplane in which the bassist told him that Axl didn't like to take his medication, therefore he was prone to erratic behavior. My small dalliance in antidepressants made me  understand that although the meds level you off, they tend to numb you emotionally. When I went off of them, I had a problem controlling my emotions.

If only it were as simple as vitamins and exercise and e meters.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2005, 11:23:18 AM »

Do you know how many people this applies to, at least one or two combined symptoms ?? rant

You know why i dislike some people who have psychology degrees ?

Because they generalise and can be full of shit.

You do not know what bi polar even is so you?? So you should really just shut your mouth. Two of my friends have it, so I know what people are like that have it esp when they are not on their meds.?? Also that post was just to give some one of idea of what some of the sympthoms of bi polar is. I am just going by what I know of Bi Polar, my two friends that have it, and how Axl has acted since I have been a fan of gnr. But just look at Axls acts, he has bi polar tendencies.
If anyone is full of this its you since you are talking out of? your ass.

Oh also remember that "rumor" that Axl checked himself into a clinic after the philly incident?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 11:30:07 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Sterlingdog
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2005, 12:40:57 PM »

Just to be clear...

I would never advocate anyone taking psych meds stop taking them without talking to their doctor.  Unfortunately that could be very dangerous.  Frequently with  bipolar disorder, people take meds, feel better, decide they don't need the drugs and stop, then go back into the cycle.

But I will say that if you are taking psych meds prescribed by anyone other than a psychiatrist (I once knew someone who got anti-depressents from her gynecologist!)  you should do yourself a favor and go see a psychiatrist to get a better idea of what you really need. 
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2005, 12:52:17 PM »

interesting that this thread was made just one day after rocket queen and i had a discussion about this. well, soon as i get the time i will make a lengthy post about all of this. stay tuned.

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2005, 10:49:05 AM »

WOW, some people on this board talk as if they know Axl's personal MD, hmm... and if you only knew the truth, but wait you've heard all this because some apparent friends or ex, bandmate said he take the meds. So you think he has a problem,  AND YOU BOUGHT IT. lol. That buys time for fool not I. Some people need to level out with the world! no     

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
Gunna_girl01
Rocker

ROCK AND ROLL A WAY OF LIFE

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2005, 09:01:12 PM »

Axl is an awsome guy, i listen to his voice everyday, i dont care if he has bipolar or whatever else he is diognosed with. he is still a legend, and one i wont ever forget or stop loving.
i am proud of him.... he could be in a much worse situation right now. he could be an unknown living under a bridge.
but he went to the city to make a life, to get a clean start, to become a rock star..

Who says dreams cant come true!!  ok

LIVE IT LOVE IT CHERISH IT
FOR ROCK AND ROLL
IS MY LIFE
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2005, 02:12:47 AM »

What if Axl were an acccused child molester like Michael Jackson?  Would you still be a huge fan?  What if Axl has been living the life of a serial killer these last 10 plus years?  Any change of opinion? 
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2005, 07:02:13 AM »

Read my post carefully, Mademoiselle.

I've read a book about the study on the fad of ufo n new age stuff, of late '90s America.

hm hm.

Wasn't being agressive to you anyway, not in intention.

Nothing to say
Jessica
Legend

Still there

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2005, 07:04:47 AM »

ok

Nothing to say
Jessica
Legend

Still there

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2005, 07:08:34 AM »

Do you know how many people this applies to, at least one or two combined symptoms ?  rant

You do not know what bi polar even is so you?  So you should really just shut your mouth. Two of my friends have it, so I know what people are like that have it esp when they are not on their meds.   Also that post was just to give some one of idea of what some of the sympthoms of bi polar is. I am just going by what I know of Bi Polar, my two friends that have it, and how Axl has acted since I have been a fan of gnr. But just look at Axls acts, he has bi polar tendencies.
If anyone is full of this its you since you are talking out of  your ass.

Oh also remember that "rumor" that Axl checked himself into a clinic after the philly incident?

I know exactly what a true, violent, "not remembering what i did last night" bipolar is because he is the father of my baby and i had a father who was too, although his maniacal sides were not as bad as my companion's.

So yes, i have known what bipolarity is ALL MY LIFE.

Nothing to say
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2005, 08:53:40 AM »

Do you know how many people this applies to, at least one or two combined symptoms ?? rant

You do not know what bi polar even is so you?? So you should really just shut your mouth. Two of my friends have it, so I know what people are like that have it esp when they are not on their meds.? ?Also that post was just to give some one of idea of what some of the sympthoms of bi polar is. I am just going by what I know of Bi Polar, my two friends that have it, and how Axl has acted since I have been a fan of gnr. But just look at Axls acts, he has bi polar tendencies.

I know exactly what a true, violent, "not remembering what i did last night" bipolar is because he is the father of my baby and i had a father who was too, although his maniacal sides were not as bad as my companion's.

There are different degrees of being bi polar too, and you should know that since  you claim you know people with it. 

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2005, 09:11:21 AM »

You do not know what bi polar even is so you?? So you should really just shut your mouth. Two of my friends have it, so I know what people are like that have it esp when they are not on their meds.? ?Also that post was just to give some one of idea of what some of the sympthoms of bi polar is. I am just going by what I know of Bi Polar, my two friends that have it, and how Axl has acted since I have been a fan of gnr. But just look at Axls acts, he has bi polar tendencies.

There are different degrees of being bi polar too, and you should know that since? you claim you know people with it.?

Exactly right.  Not everyone with BP go from maniac to ultra-depressive. 

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2005, 10:49:26 AM »

I've read a book about the study on the fad of ufo n new age stuff, of late '90s America.

hm hm.

I was so scared  hihi hihi mon ami.

I didn't mean the proper hypnotic cure which curer is aware of both the merits and the demerits of the hypnotism.

I think there's a possibility that Axl's babyhood memory might have been unconsciously made up through the regression therapy. Yeah maybe what he thought he recalled did happen but why the hell so many people who took those sessions could have had similar tragic experiences as children and had completely forgotten until the therapy. Could be the hypnotism used in those sessions of around '90 sometimes accidentally led the hypnotic attendee to recall the scariest story they'd ever heard of in their life and memorise it anew as their own experience.
Jessica
Legend

Still there

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2005, 11:17:32 AM »

hm hm.

I was so scared  hihi hihi mon ami.

I didn't mean the proper hypnotic cure which curer is aware of both the merits and the demerits of the hypnotism.

I think there's a possibility that Axl's babyhood memory might have been unconsciously made up through the regression therapy. Yeah maybe what he thought he recalled did happen but why the hell so many people who took those sessions could have had similar tragic experiences as children and had completely forgotten until the therapy. Could be the hypnotism used in those sessions of around '90 sometimes accidentally led the hypnotic attendee to recall the scariest story they'd ever heard of in their life and memorise it anew as their own experience.

PM PP

Nothing to say
Gunna_girl01
Rocker

ROCK AND ROLL A WAY OF LIFE

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2005, 08:43:47 PM »

What if Axl were an acccused child molester like Michael Jackson?? Would you still be a huge fan?? What if Axl has been living the life of a serial killer these last 10 plus years?? Any change of opinion??

Nope. still my hero...

Chopper was a murderer and i still admire him !! ok

LIVE IT LOVE IT CHERISH IT
FOR ROCK AND ROLL
IS MY LIFE
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: