Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:19:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 440933 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1860 on: January 25, 2013, 11:17:32 PM »

Alot of riffage standing here:

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1861 on: January 30, 2013, 08:58:57 PM »

With all the Duffy related posts of late, here's an shot of Ian around the beginning of Southern Death Cult.

Full on Bradford punk.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1862 on: February 07, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »

The content at www.billyduffy.com is really great, some great bits of info and pix.

Here's a pic from the Sonic Temple photo session that led to the albums iconic cover shot, I had no idea the Les Paul belonged to Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1863 on: February 09, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »

More great content from www.billyduffy.com

I saw this tour one night later in Dallas at the Bronco Bowl.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:47:33 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1864 on: February 09, 2013, 08:32:56 PM »

Ian Astbury and legendary promotor Bill Graham's "Gathering Of The Tribes" festival.

Ian on MTV in OCT 1990 talking about the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLpC5MbmFw4

The "Rock the Vote" campaign debuted at this event as well.

And finally, the template Perry Farrell found corporate sponsors for and called "Lollapalooza" - still a sore subject with Ian.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:41:58 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1865 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:31 PM »

BD on this months cover of POWERON mag:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:46:06 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1866 on: February 24, 2013, 11:40:23 PM »

More cool stuff from www.billyduffy.com

BD playing hometown gig in Manchester in 2012

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:42:11 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1867 on: February 25, 2013, 01:35:51 PM »

A great interview with Billy and lifelong friend Johnny Marr from www.billyduffy.com

http://www.billyduffy.com/stories/billy-and-johnny/

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:38:48 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1868 on: February 25, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »

So a new album for Owl...

Interview: Chris Wyse of Owl and The Cult

Chris Wyse has played Bass for numerous bands including The Cult, Ozzy Osbourne and Mick Jagger, just to name a few. He is also the vocalist and bassist of his own band, Owl. The band will release their 2nd album, The Right Thing on April 9, 2013. The band was originally introduced back in 2009 when they debuted their self-titled album and it featured childhood friend and drummer Dan Dinsmore along with guitarist Jason Mezills. Between touring and recording commitments with Wyse's other gig, playing bass in The Cult. Owl began writing what would become the band?s self-produced The Right Thing in early 2011. Chris Wyse recently took time out of his busy schedule to discuss how Owl started and what it was like recording the upcoming album.

You have quite the list of musicians and artists you have worked with over the years. When you were working on side project, Owl was there ever the idea of bringing in a few musicians you have worked with in for guest spots?

On Owl's debut, Billy Duffy from The Cult played guitar on a ballad called "Skyrocket." And on our forthcoming album The Right Thing due out April 9th, The Cult's John Tempesta plays drums on "All Day" - which is a track with a great tribal jam at the end.  It just seemed natural to invite The Cult guys on the albums.

What do you feel has been your greatest musical achievement thus far?

I would have to say that Owl is my biggest achievement thus far.  The music is really in-depth and challenging, and the band showcases a true direction and sound that's our own.  Also, The Cult has provided so many fond moments and I'm proud to have played with Jerry Cantrell, being a fan and friend.  Another big achievement was playing with Ozzy Osbourne because I had told my parents that I would end up in Hollywood playing with Ozzy, so it was literally a dream come true. It was definitely a trip to call home and say, "Hey Mom and Dad, guess who I'm here in the studio with!"

Any words of wisdom to aspiring artists out there?

Love what you do.  There is no arrival point! Your last gig was just that, so keep moving on and being creative! Push yourself to try new things and write music. Sometimes I have to force myself to work but I always enjoy it at the end of the day.

http://www.starsentertainment.com/news/interview-chris-wyse-of-owl-and-the-cult

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1869 on: February 25, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »

More from BD:

"?Hey, I hope 2013 is going as well for you as it has been for me!

Last month saw the launch of my Signature Gretsch White Falcon Guitar which was a really proud moment especially when I was presented with a commemorative plaque by Fred Gretsch! The response to the guitar has been fantastic and I?m sure that if any of you become lucky enough to own one yourself you?ll agree with me that she?s a beauty!

The last couple of weeks I?ve been taking a vacation with some good friends in Miami and now I?m back in LA and working hard on writing new songs.
 I?ve had quite a few people ask about when I?m going to be back out touring again with The Cult. Rest assured that there?s a lot of work going on behind the scenes getting this in place and as soon as there is some definite news you?ll see it on the official www.thecult.us site, as well as here.

It?s also been great for me to see such a positive response to the launch of this site as well as my Facebook and Twitter pages. If you haven?t done so already it?s worth following me there too as ?Team BD? are making sure that there?s plenty of interesting stuff to see as well as exclusive news and pics that aren?t on this site.
 I?ve really enjoyed seeing all the positive comments especially in regards to my ?Memora-billy-a? and stories and I?ll be looking to keep new ones coming on a regular basis.
 With that in mind I?ve got a great one for you now! Back when I was in high school and rehearsing in my first band at my best mates house I met and became friends with Johnny Marr. We both had similar paths in life finding worldwide success as guitarists, me with The Cult and Johnny with The Smiths. Johnny has just released a brilliant new album. ?The Messenger? and to celebrate we?ve hooked up to reminisce on our careers and friendship in an interview exclusively for my site.

Take care and check back for more from me exclusively here @ billyduffy.com very soon?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1870 on: February 25, 2013, 09:36:03 PM »

The Cult of Tone

February 25, 2013

Led by guitarist Billy Duffy and vocalist Ian Astbury, British post-punk band The Cult is still going strong after nearly 30 years. Formed in 1983 and strongly influenced by classic rockers from the ?60s and ?70s, the group unleashed a hard-edged sound with shades of psychedelia that presented a strong contrast to the drum machine-driven synth pop that led the UK music scene at the time. Powered by Duffy?s melodic riffage and Astbury?s bluesy wail, the essential ?80s albums Love, Electric, and Sonic Temple saw the group evolve in an increasingly heavier direction, a tradition carried on today with their latest release, Choice of Weapon.

From the very beginning of The Cult, BOSS and Roland gear has been at the heart of Billy?s guitar tone. BOSS stomps have been his pedalboard mainstays for three decades, while the Roland JC-120 amp and its built-in chorus effect has a permanent home in his backline. ?She Sells Sanctuary,? recorded in 1985 and one of the band?s most enduring songs, features this setup prominently, with multiple BOSS pedals and JC chorus shaping the tune?s memorable guitar intro.

BUG recently sat down with Billy to discuss The Cult?s music, his thoughts on tone, and his long history with BOSS and Roland. He also gave us a demonstration of how he developed the classic sounds in ?She Sells Sanctuary? and ?Fire Woman,? another iconic song that showcases Billy?s unique style.

When did you start using BOSS pedals?

The first time I got my hands on a BOSS pedal was really early in ?83. A guy called Jamie Stewart joined The Cult [on bass] when we put the band together in England. He used to be a guitar player, so he came with guitar effects. He handed them over and said, ?I won?t be needing these anymore.? One of them was a BOSS Super Overdrive, which I?ve pretty much used until today. That was the first time I?d seen a BOSS pedal. Very quickly thereafter I started getting into BOSS delays?the old DM-2, the analog one, and I think it was a DD-2. And then I used a [BOSS] flanger. I never used chorus, because I always used [the built-in chorus in] my Roland JC-120.

A funny story about that: the first gig I ever did with The Cult was in a club in Oslo called Rats. We kind of debuted the band out of the UK. We did our first Led Zeppelin copy, which was ?play outside the UK first, get your chops up, and come back.? So we did a gig in Oslo, and they gave me a thing called a JC-160, which I believe was a 4?10 [version]. I?ve never seen one since. That was the first amp I ever used [live with The Cult].

Continue online: http://www.bossus.com/boss_users_group/article.php?ArticleId=1610

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1871 on: February 25, 2013, 11:16:15 PM »

So a new album for Owl...

Interview: Chris Wyse of Owl and The Cult

Chris Wyse has played Bass for numerous bands including The Cult, Ozzy Osbourne and Mick Jagger, just to name a few. He is also the vocalist and bassist of his own band, Owl. The band will release their 2nd album, The Right Thing on April 9, 2013. The band was originally introduced back in 2009 when they debuted their self-titled album and it featured childhood friend and drummer Dan Dinsmore along with guitarist Jason Mezills. Between touring and recording commitments with Wyse's other gig, playing bass in The Cult. Owl began writing what would become the band?s self-produced The Right Thing in early 2011. Chris Wyse recently took time out of his busy schedule to discuss how Owl started and what it was like recording the upcoming album.

You have quite the list of musicians and artists you have worked with over the years. When you were working on side project, Owl was there ever the idea of bringing in a few musicians you have worked with in for guest spots?

On Owl's debut, Billy Duffy from The Cult played guitar on a ballad called "Skyrocket." And on our forthcoming album The Right Thing due out April 9th, The Cult's John Tempesta plays drums on "All Day" - which is a track with a great tribal jam at the end.  It just seemed natural to invite The Cult guys on the albums.

What do you feel has been your greatest musical achievement thus far?

I would have to say that Owl is my biggest achievement thus far.  The music is really in-depth and challenging, and the band showcases a true direction and sound that's our own.  Also, The Cult has provided so many fond moments and I'm proud to have played with Jerry Cantrell, being a fan and friend.  Another big achievement was playing with Ozzy Osbourne because I had told my parents that I would end up in Hollywood playing with Ozzy, so it was literally a dream come true. It was definitely a trip to call home and say, "Hey Mom and Dad, guess who I'm here in the studio with!"

Any words of wisdom to aspiring artists out there?

Love what you do.  There is no arrival point! Your last gig was just that, so keep moving on and being creative! Push yourself to try new things and write music. Sometimes I have to force myself to work but I always enjoy it at the end of the day.

http://www.starsentertainment.com/news/interview-chris-wyse-of-owl-and-the-cult

More from Chris and Owl:

"We are excited to announce that tomorrow, February 26th, Rolling Stone will be exclusively premiering the video for the title track "The Right Thing" from our forthcoming album due out April 9th."

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1872 on: February 26, 2013, 05:09:46 PM »

More from Chris and Owl:

"We are excited to announce that tomorrow, February 26th, Rolling Stone will be exclusively premiering the video for the title track "The Right Thing" from our forthcoming album due out April 9th."

I'd like to see this, it's an interesting group.  I don't see anything posted yet.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1873 on: February 26, 2013, 09:24:48 PM »

Here's the video.  It's good, but it's also unexpected...I don't remember them sounding quite like this.

OWL Examine Consequences in 'The Right Thing' ? Premiere

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/owl-examine-consequences-in-the-right-thing-premiere-20130226

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1874 on: February 26, 2013, 10:27:37 PM »

More BD and Johnny Marr, easily the 2 most influential Brit guitarists of the post modern era.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1875 on: February 26, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »

Here's the video.  It's good, but it's also unexpected...I don't remember them sounding quite like this.

OWL Examine Consequences in 'The Right Thing' ? Premiere

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/owl-examine-consequences-in-the-right-thing-premiere-20130226

Holy smoke, that's some heavy stuff.

It's like a Cult/AIC hybrid.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1876 on: February 26, 2013, 11:29:31 PM »

Yeah it is.  I was thinking...where's the upright bass. hihi

I'll be curious to hear the rest of the album. yes

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1877 on: February 27, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »

?We were an unstoppable force in the studio,? says frontman Wyse. ?This album is heavy and bombastic, and is our unorthodox ode to rock.?

The Right Thing roars to life with opening salvo ?Destroyer,? in which Owl transforms The Kinks? classic into a swaggering futuristic stomper. The title track boasts a propulsive drumbeat that drives into staggering distortion and teeters between brooding and hypnotic. Elsewhere, Wyse delves into his Irish roots on the rousing ?Rover? and the band welcomes guest drummer Johnny Tempesta of The Cult on the tribal-beat driven track, ?All Day.?

http://reviewfix.com/2013/02/rock-band-owl-to-release-the-right-thing-on-april-9th/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1878 on: February 28, 2013, 08:15:39 PM »

OWL - "Send" (Acoustic)

"Send" is a track off their upcoming Overit Records album, 'The Right Thing'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i54bvOu0-6Y

The Right Thing hits stores on April 9.

The Right Thing track listing:
1. Destroyer
2. The Right Thing
3. Give
4, Rover
5. All Day
6. Signs Of Life
7. Send
8. Perfect
9. Taking Over
10. Mouse
11. Eleven
12. Don't Know What You Got

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1879 on: March 02, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »

This is awesome.

Billy Duffy goes in detail about his top 10 gigs he attended in Manchester growing up.

Too long to post here, but well worth  a click on the link.

"Top 10 Gigs in Seventies Manchester that shaped my guitar style" ? by Billy Duffy from The Cult.

See more at: http://louderthanwar.com/top-10-gigs-in-seventies-manchester-that-shaped-my-guitar-style-by-billy-duffy-from-the-cult/#sthash.JxEJiHWP.dpuf

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: