Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:27:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why not America???
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why not America???  (Read 24062 times)
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2006, 12:43:38 PM »

Because he doesn't give a rats arse what people think of him in the states.He's already wrapped up the market years ago ....now it's on his terms where he gigs etc.

Regardless of whether you want to admit it or not the US market is probably the single most important market in terms of Chinese Democracy being a huge success or flop.

That's exactly right. ?Bands goto Europe to get recognition and come to America to make it "Big". ?Please keep in mind that GN'R has scheduled no actuale concerts for Europe, they're just playing festivals which don't really exist in America. ?What little festivals do come along aren't worth the paper that the tickets are printed on for the most part here in the states. ?The majority of the bands at those festivals in Europe are bands that couldn't tour on their own. ?Europe is a cheap and effective way to break the new band in before they go on their world tour - which the majority of shows played will be in America. ?People forget how big America is, you could fit 3 europes in the size of American territory.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 12:46:24 PM by Guns N' Rock Music » Logged
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2006, 12:45:54 PM »

Why the fuck are they playing all these foreign festivals and doing nothing here in the states?? I guess they say jealousy will eat you alive and it's definately getting to me.? I mean c'mon I want to see them too, without having to fly halfway around the world to do it.? Just my personal rant, anyone else feel the same?

because the audience there suck.

Wow, that's a real intelligent observation.  I'm sure you know this by experience.  Please do tell how the audiences in Europe are any more cooler or better than here in the states?
speed_stone
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2006, 12:47:32 PM »

Because he doesn't give a rats arse what people think of him in the states.He's already wrapped up the market years ago ....now it's on his terms where he gigs etc.

Regardless of whether you want to admit it or not the US market is probably the single most important market in terms of Chinese Democracy being a huge success or flop.

That's exact'y right. ?Bands goto Europe to get recognition and come to America to make it "Big". ?Please keep in mind that GN'R has scheduled no actuale concerts for Europe, they're just playing festivals which don't really exist in America. ?What little festivals do come along aren't worth the paper that the tickets are printed on for the most part here in the states. ?The majority of the bands at those festivals in Europe are bands that couldn't tour on their own. ?Europe is a cheap and effective way to break the new band in before they go on their world tour - which the majority of shows played will be in America. ?People forget how big America is, you could fit 3 europes in the size of American territory.

i hate to disappoint you mister nationality but they're playing in europe because the audiences are better and don't just sit around like idiots with their arms crossed like "c'mon, show us something". even axl said so. and yes they play indoors arena in europe too, i'm actually going to one of them. sorry to burst your bubble. now go defend cops beating up black people like you did in "the jungle", good day.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2006, 12:50:31 PM »

That's exact'y right. ?Bands goto Europe to get recognition and come to America to make it "Big". ?Please keep in mind that GN'R has scheduled no actuale concerts for Europe, they're just playing festivals which don't really exist in America. ?What little festivals do come along aren't worth the paper that the tickets are printed on for the most part here in the states. ?The majority of the bands at those festivals in Europe are bands that couldn't tour on their own. ?Europe is a cheap and effective way to break the new band in before they go on their world tour - which the majority of shows played will be in America. ?People forget how big America is, you could fit 3 europes in the size of American territory.

i hate to disappoint you mister nationality but they're playing in europe because the audiences are better and don't just sit around like idiots with their arms cross like "c'mon, show us something". and yes they play indoors arena in europe too, i'm actually going to one of them. sorry to burst your bubble. now go defend cops beating up black people like you did in "the jungle", good day.

Wow, talk about taking things out of context.  No where did I suggest that Guns shouldn't play in Europe, in fact the exact opposite.  I agree with their strategy wholeheartedly, but I don't chalk up their rationale to some subjective belief that fans overseas are more hardcore and loving.  And what the hell do my comments (that you obviously distorted) on an American social issue have to do with GN'R?
littlewing
Headliner

« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2006, 12:53:18 PM »

i hate to disappoint you mister nationality but they're playing in europe because the audiences are better and don't just sit around like idiots with their arms crossed like "c'mon, show us something". even axl said so. and yes they play indoors arena in europe too, i'm actually going to one of them. sorry to burst your bubble. now go defend cops beating up black people like you did in "the jungle", good day.

It has nothing to do with Europe vs. America. It's how the markets have developed.

American audiences don't sit around. I don't know what shows you're going to where they do that.
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2006, 12:55:06 PM »

European audiences are better. peace

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
SOLGER
Rocker

LIVE N? LET DIE

« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2006, 12:55:21 PM »

Im not pro- america or pro-europe I like em both the same, but if Axl thought Europe was the shit and America sucked he would have moved there a loooooooooong time ago. Axl lives in the U.S

Live N' Let Die
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2006, 12:57:51 PM »

Im not pro- america or pro-europe I like em both the same, but if Axl thought Europe was the shit and America sucked he would have moved there a loooooooooong time ago. Axl lives in the U.S

He leves in Malibu; Not exactly the real world.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
littlewing
Headliner

« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2006, 01:00:20 PM »

You don't get more real than LA in California. Nowhere else in the state can you live in the most upscale area and go 4 blocks and be in the worst area. But most people wouldn't understand that unless they spent time there. I didn't get it until I moved there.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2006, 01:06:09 PM »

You don't get more real than LA in California. Nowhere else in the state can you live in the most upscale area and go 4 blocks and be in the worst area. But most people wouldn't understand that unless they spent time there. I didn't get it until I moved there.

You are probably correct. My demographical knowledge of the area is somewhat limited. But I will venture with this- People that live in malibu never stray 4 blocks away to where you're talking about.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »

Even though I'm American... even I admit European crowds are better.... it's much more of a football (soccer) match or Oktoberfest type crowd... people are there to have a great time for 3.5 hours... not critique every note played or every visual, etc...

We're too stiff over here... too cool for school... I can't even think of the last US rock tour that had any buzz behind it...

Axl is smart to kick off abroad... and perhaps he should stay abroad until the promoters and fans are salivating to have him back in the US.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
littlewing
Headliner

« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2006, 01:13:54 PM »

You are probably correct. My demographical knowledge of the area is somewhat limited. But I will venture with this- People that live in malibu never stray 4 blocks away to where you're talking about.

They don't, but where do you think the people who aren't as well off go during the day? They go to the same places the rich people go. Sunset, Rodeo Dr, etc... You may not go walk in a poor neighborhood but regardless of social class you're going to be surrounded by all walks of life just going to the store or picking up some shoes. You can't escape it in LA.

That's not to say Axl's in reality or not. I'm not in a position to say. I just don't think living in LA would mean he's lost it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 01:23:39 PM by littlewing » Logged
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2006, 01:14:51 PM »

Why the fuck are they playing all these foreign festivals and doing nothing here in the states?

because you eat too many hamburgers?  Huh  Grin

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2006, 01:41:05 PM »

Why the fuck are they playing all these foreign festivals and doing nothing here in the states?? I guess they say jealousy will eat you alive and it's definately getting to me.? I mean c'mon I want to see them too, without having to fly halfway around the world to do it.? Just my personal rant, anyone else feel the same?

One, Europe has alot cooler festivals than the here in the US,

Two, and more importantly, after 2002, I don't think a concert promoter here in the US will touch Axl with a 10 foot pole.

Not only the the first and last shows but that tour didn't really sell that well as there were half empty arenas in all of the smaller cities like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 01:43:35 PM by classicgunsfan » Logged
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2006, 01:42:55 PM »

He certainly seems to do a fine job when it comes to burning bridges...

YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2006, 01:44:27 PM »

Anyone think he's using the European stage as a way to prove the legitamacy of Gn'R. Both musically, and in the bands abilitys to actually play an entire tour?  yes

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2006, 01:47:49 PM »

Anyone think he's using the European stage as a way to prove the legitamacy of Gn'R. Both musically, and in the bands abilitys to actually play an entire tour?? yes

I think he's using the festivals to get out there in front of many people with minimal risk because his band won't be the sole attraction. We will have to wait and see if the band has the ability to play the entire toor.

I want to see an official concrete statement (and one from Axl) regarding these shows.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2006, 01:48:33 PM »

Anyone think he's using the European stage as a way to prove the legitamacy of Gn'R. Both musically, and in the bands abilitys to actually play an entire tour?? yes

either that or get back into the public's eye again
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2006, 01:54:47 PM »

It has nothing to do with which crowds are "better". ?How that misconception is getting propagated, I have no idea.

It has everthing to do with promoters, risk, and business. ?After the '02 tour, no promoter in the US is going to risk capital on a band that has no proven new material and a relatively recent history of cancelled shows/tours...especially one that was a questionable draw on their last tour (and we can argue the reasons for that somewhere else).

So, GnR goes over to Europe, and starts playing festivals (at least to start) where they are a very credible headliner. ?They are not being depended, entirely on their own, to put butts in seats, though they are a very good draw. ?Promoters over there are probably getting a decent deal on the booking, too, and are now taking much less of a risk since they have other talent to fill the day if GnR pulls a no show (since some of the production costs are consoliddated). GnR can branch out and do theater shows as the new material comes out (guessing, here), and compels more people to buy tickets based soley on them.

This gives GnR a chance to prove they are a good risk back here in the states, gives them a chance to get new material out just before, during, or just after the Euro tour, and builds interest in the audience, stateside, in a return later this fall. ?It shows stateside promoters that they're dependable, and will actually show up for dates, play good shows, and that audiences are showing up to see them...which, in turn, compels them to actually be willing to front the money for a US tour.

Something to remember, as well: ?In Europe, there is probably/usually one promoter per country to deal with when you book your show (which isn't to say each country only has one promoter..I mean that once they get a promoter to book the show, they deal with that promoter ONLY for that show and not others). ?That means more contracts to sign, and negotiations to go through for the band, but it means much less actual cash to front for the promoter, because they're only fronting for ONE (or maybe as many as two or three) show. ?In the US..that's not the case. ?Usually a larger conglomerate is going (like the former CC) ?to foot the bill for the whole tour. ?Much more capital tied up, and a much bigger risk for them. ?Thus, it takes a bit more to compel them into action.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 01:58:53 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »

because it's full of haters and naysayers.  Tongue

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: