Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:43:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  so is John 5 the replacement
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: so is John 5 the replacement  (Read 27416 times)
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2006, 09:20:20 PM »

who cares about image..
................................................................................................... ..........................
lots of people.
well they shouldnt. I dont care what he looks like if hes cool and can rock the shit out of shows then who cares!

veritas55
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2006, 09:22:22 PM »

John 5 is a very solid and versatile player.  I was secretly hoping he would be the choice of replacing the truly irreplaceable Buckethead, who is a friggin' genuis guitar player.  (I was very sad when he left GnR -- if his tracks remain on CD, you will hear that he is the ingredient that elevates this stuff to a different level.)
Throatrake
Rocker

Well, looks like we've got ourselves a reader

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2006, 09:25:23 PM »

What a coincidence. I was just thinking about shaving my eyebrows off and putting red lipstick on with a paintroller.
Just kidding.
Assuming Buckethead is still out (his tour will be over 4/23) I wouldn't mind this guy joining the band.

What did moths bump into before light bulbs were invented? Are there moths right now on their way to the sun saying "It's gonna be worth it!".
VolcomStone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2006, 12:29:40 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcAI4s8SLe8&search=john%205%20guitar

If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?
VolcomStone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2006, 12:45:20 AM »

judging by the end of that segment i'd say he'd be fine replacing buckethead - at least they'd be able to keep the hog bitch stompa solo piece in the shows.

If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2006, 01:53:59 AM »

I wouldn't break my heart if they only had 2 guitarists.

I think both Richard and Robin will be able to handle solos needed. I'm not that big of a shredding fan myself and don't think it suits the style of music they play with the exception of 1 or 2 fills. To all the people who are now going to tell me to go listen to the end of the nightrain solo... well.. I'm not that keen on that. He does have some good tricks on it, but for the most part I think it's not that amazing. I think Bucket was good when he played something melodic, but I won't really miss him.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
VolcomStone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2006, 02:18:12 AM »

glad buckethead's gone.  he's such a clown.

Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2006, 02:21:47 AM »

I think they'll do just fine with two guitar players. But at this point, I don't care if Paris Hilton joined GN'R on Ukulele, just get a third player, if that's what they want, and get things going. John5 sounds great. He can sure play. If Axl has invited him to join GN'R and he in turn has accepted, then that means CD is closer. Great. No complaints here.
elevendayempire
Rocker

...Now I know you better...

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2006, 04:27:36 AM »

John 5 would be a great choice; he's one of the few (relatively) well-known players who could match Buckethead, he's got a convenient window of opportunity to rehearse the songs and he's got a distinctive image, for what it's worth. Hey, at least he isn't a cheesy-shredder like Batio, yeah?

As long as he ditches that Telecaster for a Les Paul. Man, I hate Telecasters. Fuckin' twangy planks...? Angry

SG
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2006, 04:34:59 AM »

i saw him live with manson in 2001. he 's pretty psyched on stage
cool guitar player. then again, robin , john ...

Sillything
VIP

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2006, 05:05:29 AM »

I haven?t heard him play, but don't mind him joining from looking at the pictures ok

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
Woooo!
Headliner

Yeah, we all know Better...

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2006, 05:39:08 AM »

I have to say - I think Guns N' Roses need 3 guitarists. If you listen to the solo on 'Better' there is no way in my opinion that Finck or Fortus could handle that. I'm just listening to some of his stuff right now and he is perfect. He is very fast and very precise. His image is a bit goth-like but he still can play and that's the main thing. I heard recently that GNR management had approached him but who knows.

Anyway... Peace x ok

There's not anymore that I can do...
axlschild
Headliner

..when your taking to yourself..and nobody's home

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2006, 06:09:10 AM »

http://www.myspace.com/john5official

ok

Don't play your guitar when your talking to me...

Milton Keynes '93
Leeds '02
Download '06
Sheffield '06
Nottingham '06
Leeds '10
Birmingham '12
Schwarzgold
VIP

KAWUGI!

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2006, 06:21:51 AM »

He's married to Aria Giovanni? Thats as much rock n' roll as you can get.? hihi

Restraint is for suckers.
Olorin
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2006, 06:23:30 AM »

I seen him play with Marilyn Manson and he fucking rocked!! The guy gets really into it and gets the crowd going!

A few of my freinds were there who were'nt into Manson much, but commented on the guy at the right hand side of the stage - "that guitarist was pretty cool".
littleredcorvette
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2006, 06:28:39 AM »

No offence but some of you really are daft. The bloody albums been WRITTEN around three goddam guitarists. The outro of Madagascar HINGES on three shrieking lead guitars. Parts of other songs call for rhythm and two leads. There are gonna be songs even more dense and complicated than TWAT which aren't gonna work with just R&R.

Now I've been behind the new band 1000% from the start but let's just get a few things sorted:

Axl made a big point several times, especially in the 2000 Rolling Stone interview that the main reason for the delay was that nobody came into his radar that would replace Slash in the right way.

The songs have ben recorded with the three guitarists all performing different functions. They've all brought their own stuff to the table. People here are suggesting those three parts are gonna be divided and watered down between R&R. That's ridiculous.

Robin is brilliant at what he does, but he cannot replace Slash or Buckethead. He cocked up the November Rain and Blues solos every other night on the tour, not because he's weak but because that's not his forte. After he left for the NIN tour, Bucket came in and the project undoubtedly went in a different direction. When he came back Axl didn't lose Bucket.

Bucket is the guy who would steal the show with the November Rain solo and his incredible Nightrain solos. He's Slash's replacement. R&R are great, we can hear their work on the demos. But Bucket will be ALL over the album and R&R are not going to take the goddam TWAT 2 minute solo and do their own completely different version in live shows. Guns & Roses are gonna play their album live, not some watered down version of it.

Now, bearing in mind that guy's post about meeting Bucket at a signing and him supposedly saying he didn't quit and that he was fired and didn't know why Axl said what he did in the RIR4, explanation, ?the best possible scenario would be for Axl to buy Bucket a warehouse of Leatherface dolls and apologise and beg for him to come back. I personally think the whole Bucket leaving thing was very fishy, regardless of what Tommy says. If Better and TWAT are a good reflection of the whole album, then Buckethead fucking owns the album.

I know loads of old farts still can't get past the idea of the Guns guitar player being a street bum with his hair in his face and looking the epitome of rock cool, a fag end permanently lodged in his mouth, but the majority of fans from die hard to casual really embraced Bucket during the 2002 tour and he could've been a perfect foil for Axl in terms, giving the media another personality to focus on, great magazine covers, the mysterious element....and it would really give Axl the last laugh in terms of "Yeah, you were right all along; this band IS a freak show. But now our freak show is No.1 in 48 countries and we just stole the show at the Grammys. Try taking the piss now."

But since Bucket ain't coming back, the best we can hope for is a guy good enough to play his parts and who has some personality and chemistry with the band.

And to the guy who will inevitably say "The best case scenario is Slash returns!!!!!".....that would REALLY make the last 8 years of work by Tommy and co. seem worthwhile....
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 06:30:45 AM by littleredcorvette » Logged
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2006, 06:48:34 AM »

i'd love to see john5 in gn'r. i have ozzfest's dvd and he plays with rob zombie, the guy is smilling all the way thru. he seems like a very nice guy and a great guitar player.
i've also seen him live with manson and that was a lot of fun also.

Chinese Democracy!
W. Adam S
Rocker

...Gone to the toilet

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2006, 06:58:05 AM »

No offence but some of you really are daft. The bloody albums been WRITTEN around three goddam guitarists. The outro of Madagascar HINGES on three shrieking lead guitars. Parts of other songs call for rhythm and two leads. There are gonna be songs even more dense and complicated than TWAT which aren't gonna work with just R&R.

Now I've been behind the new band 1000% from the start but let's just get a few things sorted:

Axl made a big point several times, especially in the 2000 Rolling Stone interview that the main reason for the delay was that nobody came into his radar that would replace Slash in the right way.

The songs have ben recorded with the three guitarists all performing different functions. They've all brought their own stuff to the table. People here are suggesting those three parts are gonna be divided and watered down between R&R. That's ridiculous.

Robin is brilliant at what he does, but he cannot replace Slash or Buckethead. He cocked up the November Rain and Blues solos every other night on the tour, not because he's weak but because that's not his forte. After he left for the NIN tour, Bucket came in and the project undoubtedly went in a different direction. When he came back Axl didn't lose Bucket.

Bucket is the guy who would steal the show with the November Rain solo and his incredible Nightrain solos. He's Slash's replacement. R&R are great, we can hear their work on the demos. But Bucket will be ALL over the album and R&R are not going to take the goddam TWAT 2 minute solo and do their own completely different version in live shows. Guns & Roses are gonna play their album live, not some watered down version of it.

Now, bearing in mind that guy's post about meeting Bucket at a signing and him supposedly saying he didn't quit and that he was fired and didn't know why Axl said what he did in the RIR4, explanation, ?the best possible scenario would be for Axl to buy Bucket a warehouse of Leatherface dolls and apologise and beg for him to come back. I personally think the whole Bucket leaving thing was very fishy, regardless of what Tommy says. If Better and TWAT are a good reflection of the whole album, then Buckethead fucking owns the album.

I know loads of old farts still can't get past the idea of the Guns guitar player being a street bum with his hair in his face and looking the epitome of rock cool, a fag end permanently lodged in his mouth, but the majority of fans from die hard to casual really embraced Bucket during the 2002 tour and he could've been a perfect foil for Axl in terms, giving the media another personality to focus on, great magazine covers, the mysterious element....and it would really give Axl the last laugh in terms of "Yeah, you were right all along; this band IS a freak show. But now our freak show is No.1 in 48 countries and we just stole the show at the Grammys. Try taking the piss now."

But since Bucket ain't coming back, the best we can hope for is a guy good enough to play his parts and who has some personality and chemistry with the band.

And to the guy who will inevitably say "The best case scenario is Slash returns!!!!!".....that would REALLY make the last 8 years of work by Tommy and co. seem worthwhile....
Spot on?  ok ?Most of the new songs would sound crap with just two guitarists, John5's style of playing fits so book him!

'For Ricky to be any smarter he would have to die and come back as a turnip' - Trailer park boys.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2006, 07:42:00 AM »

If you listen to the solo on 'Better' there is no way in my opinion that Finck or Fortus could handle that.
Bullshit. I think you have never picked up a guitar. Any teenager at Berkley Music School can play what Buckehead plays on "Better". It's not that difficult. In fact it's pretty basic. He just plays it fast, but believe me, there are tons of guitar players who can play fast. Oh yeah and about Fortus, the guy starts playing guitar by learning Jazz... Jazz music is much, much more difficult than anything "shredd". And if you have some 02 video bootlegs, Fortus was able to really speed-up sometimes, especially on the second part of Paradise city or the Outro of "The Blues" and "Think about You".

However, playing with the right vibe and the right feeling is much, much more difficult. That's not what you play wich is important, but the way you play. With a little training, everybody can play the Slash Sweet Child Of Mine solo, but nobody can play it the way Slash plays it, with such a feeling, vibe and sense of placement. That's where the genius is. Same for Knopfler, Page, Clapton etc...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 07:44:07 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2006, 08:01:12 AM »

he looks cool, and elegant.

well, where can we listen some of his stuff ?
i remember we already talked about that guy some months ago..so...
maybe he's the guy. is he from new york ?

Wow, I didn't realize David Bowie had found the fountain of youth.

Smiley

Seriously, that pic looks just like Bowie from the Ziggy Stardust days.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: