Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:25:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  so is John 5 the replacement
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: so is John 5 the replacement  (Read 27398 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2006, 08:03:01 AM »

He has also performed with salt n pepper, wilson phillips, the go gos and K.D. Lang. He has quite a repertoire atr his disposal. He's probably easily up to the task. No idea if I believe this though. Somewhere on here I read that someone believes that the new guitarist is disguising themself as buckethead at the rehearsals. Not impossible. But one of those things that we'll probably never know. ?beer ok peace

The guy IS incredibly versatile.  He's played with lots of artists, in lots of varying styles.

When someone, earlier, called him a chemeleon, they could have just as easily been referring to his musical talents.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GNFNRAXL
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2006, 08:15:03 AM »

He is a brillant guitar player, BUT:

- I prefer 2 guitar players at 100% than 3 guitar players at 75%. Quality and Chemistry over quantity.
- Definitely very disrespectfull toward Richard and Robin if it happens (but I'm pretty sure it won't).
- Another reason to get bad press in the media: "The GNR casting Machine continues", "GNR members come and go like socks", "GNR = pop Idol, pick your phone and vote for the next guitar player!", "GNR: the biggest job office in the music business", "you are a guitar player? you search for a job? contact Axl Rose". It would be very easy to mock GNR once again... this is so predictable.
- Don't you think it's time to see a band? Personately, I think it is time.

One word: Stability. That's the best way to succeed. The double RF are talented enough. Let them shine ok

You say you prefer 2 guitar players and it would be disrespectful to Fortus and Finck to get a third on.? Yet you'd want Slash back in a second.? Face it nesquick.? You just don't like John5.? If it wasn't the case you wouldn't want Slash as a third guitarist as well.
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2006, 08:41:31 AM »

john 5 is way more capable to replace BH than slash will ever be Tongue

Chinese Democracy!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2006, 08:50:12 AM »

He is a brillant guitar player, BUT:

- I prefer 2 guitar players at 100% than 3 guitar players at 75%. Quality and Chemistry over quantity.
- Definitely very disrespectfull toward Richard and Robin if it happens (but I'm pretty sure it won't).
- Another reason to get bad press in the media: "The GNR casting Machine continues", "GNR members come and go like socks", "GNR = pop Idol, pick your phone and vote for the next guitar player!", "GNR: the biggest job office in the music business", "you are a guitar player? you search for a job? contact Axl Rose". It would be very easy to mock GNR once again... this is so predictable.
- Don't you think it's time to see a band? Personately, I think it is time.

One word: Stability. That's the best way to succeed. The double RF are talented enough. Let them shine ok

You say you prefer 2 guitar players and it would be disrespectful to Fortus and Finck to get a third on.? Yet you'd want Slash back in a second.? Face it nesquick.? You just don't like John5.? If it wasn't the case you wouldn't want Slash as a third guitarist as well.
i've never said I don't like John 5, where did you read that? I rather say? he was an awesome guitar player. I'm against the 3 guitar players idea, because I think it's useless. It is not needed. John 5 or anyone else, it's the same. Not needed. Now Slash is Slash, he is the exeption. The door will always be open for him because he is the greatest and he made GNR as much as Axl. Fact.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 08:52:05 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
RichardNixon
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2006, 08:59:12 AM »

John 5 would be the perfect choice, IMHO.

Stylistically, they need someone who can play BH's solos, John 5 is the man. Plus he has the credentials and resume.

If John 5 does join the band this could mean three things:
(1) He will redo all of BH's solos.
(2) He will pepper "Chinese Democracy" with a few licks but BH's work will otherwise remain.
(3) He's just in it for the tour.

I think option (2) would be the way to go. That way he'd be more than just a "hired Gun" but the album wont have to be totally revamped.
GNR - CROATIA
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2006, 09:00:44 AM »

Why does everyone care so much about John 5, ?Buckethead 1, some Mantia dude or some other weirdoe who spends 5 hours before the gig trying to be Kiss look a like when non of the freaks aren't GNR till today's day but are hired musicians who are the to replace the unreplacable - Slash, Duff, ?Matt, ?Gilby and Izzy!? Huh
REMEMBER (!), ?last official GNR records have been TSI and LIVE ERA ('93 and '99), ?anything post thse guys DOESN'T officialy exist! ok
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2006, 09:03:46 AM »

if anyone still doubts john5's skill as a guitarist steve vai called him "an incredible guitar player", figure that counts for something!

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2006, 09:05:42 AM »

from what we've heard in the new songs. if they want to keep the same parts on better for instance, they do need John or a shredder. Finck doesn't shred, and neither does richard. the song has some fast sweep picking all along and John could do it properly.
slash couldn't Tongue

Chinese Democracy!
RichardNixon
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2006, 09:19:32 AM »

from what we've heard in the new songs. if they want to keep the same parts on better for instance, they do need John or a shredder. Finck doesn't shred, and neither does richard. the song has some fast sweep picking all along and John could do it properly.
slash couldn't Tongue

You are correct sir. Something  people don't get!
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2006, 09:40:41 AM »

John 5 is the one guy who can not only replace Buckethead, but can also take the guitar playing to a whole other level in GNR.  I really hope that this is true.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2006, 09:48:39 AM »

Listen to that: http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=157Z2JG9KAO900VIEL3CC79TAO
yeah yeah, Richard and Robin aren't able to speed...yeah yeah...guess who's playing so fast? a clue: his initials are "RF", not "BH". surprising huh?
So you still think only Buckethead or John 5 are able to play fast? Riiiiiiiight. Well, wrong analyse.

Axl has already all the talents GNR needs. It's already there. Stability. That's the best way to succeed.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 10:14:57 AM by nesquick » Logged

SonofAGun
Rocker

Original fan Circa 87, Shaq and Roses?

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2006, 09:48:54 AM »

He also played in the David Lee Roth Band circa 98. One of DLRs better, more rocking solo albums.

John 5 would be perfect for the New Era GNR  IMO.
Reinaldo
Rocker

"O.K., Nevermind!"

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2006, 09:57:21 AM »

Izzy on rithym (haters may call it GNR again - oh I forgot Slash).
Finck & Fortus on lead.
solved.

RIR 2001 - Porto Alegre 2010 - RIR 2011 - Rio de Janeiro 2014 & 2016 - RIR 2022
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2006, 10:00:53 AM »

Honnestly, he is an awesome player. But I'm attached to the concept of "beeing a band".

what a crock... what about Richard breaking that "chemistry" of Paul and Robin from 1997-2001, how come you aren't pissed about that?

Quote from: HTGTH CD page
Summer 2002 - Paul Tobias is replaced by Richard Fortus.

August, 2002 - The band plays shows in Asia and Europe.

Note the 1 month period where richard learns all the stuff he needs to

Yes but John 5 has gigs with his current band all the way up to the middle of May - no time for rehearsals or learning new songs!

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2006, 10:02:11 AM »

Izzy on rithym (haters may call it GNR again - oh I forgot Slash).
Finck & Fortus on lead.
solved.

That solution would be fine. But another LEAD guitar player who suddenly comes and takes the lead in an insolant way like "Robin, Richard, go away, I'm John 5 the Lead guitar player, I'm the Star"... no way. It would be very arrogant. A band is like a Football team. The team as a whole is more important than the add of individual talents. That's the way I conceive "a band" and more generally music. That's why Nirvana was so popular for exemple... just an exemple. And believe me, Kurt Cobain was far far from beeing a so called "virtuoso" on guitar. Beeing a "virtuoso" is not important. That's not what makes a band beeing "a band". And this is not something you can buy with $$$, contracts and all this shit.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 10:13:27 AM by nesquick » Logged

speed_stone
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2006, 10:10:03 AM »

can someone explain to me how likely this is to happen, or what kind of a source there is for this? how is this not just another "michael angelo" rumour with no real backing?
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2006, 10:10:41 AM »

slash couldn't Tongue

Actually if Axl asked Fortus or Finck to learn how to shred after Buckethead left, they could easily do that. Two years for a professional guitarist with the right amount of practice is enough to learn how to shred. I personally know a couple of guitarists playing in local cover bands who can play as fast as BH, so Fortus or Finck could definately learn too if necessary.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2006, 10:11:44 AM »

Yes but John 5 has gigs with his current band all the way up to the middle of May - no time for rehearsals or learning new songs!

Supposedly those gigs are in the process of being cancelled (so says something earlier in this thread) and that gigs are being removed from venues web sites.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2006, 10:13:22 AM »

can someone explain to me how likely this is to happen, or what kind of a source there is for this? how is this not just another "michael angelo" rumour with no real backing?

How likely is anything to happen in the GnR world.

It's noise, at this point.

The noise is getting louder, for sure, on the subject but it's still just noise.  And it likely will be until either a) John5 denies it or b) he shows up on stage at the Hammerstein.

Together again,
speed_stone
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2006, 10:14:40 AM »

and where does the noise come from?
i don't write anything off when it comes to gnr, but does it come from anywhere credible or could it be just another message board rumour?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: