Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:41:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AXL's Rant in San Juan last night
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AXL's Rant in San Juan last night  (Read 72581 times)
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #300 on: October 31, 2006, 03:15:39 PM »

It's possible the setlist doesn't change because the band doesn't know how to play any other GNR songs. They've supposedly spent the past 7 years trying to put album out. Why would they take time away from that to practice old songs?

These guys are professional musicians.? It's not like Duff was laying down Flea-esque base lines.? If Fink can pull off some of Slash's old solos, then they should have no problem learning a few UYI tracks (if they wanted to)...

I didn't say they aren't capable of learning how to play GNR songs. I'm just saying that if they've been writing 70+ songs for the past few years, why would they take time away from that to learn how to play the entire GNR catelog? The setlist isn't changing because they can only play what they know. These guys aren't sitting around, learning the timing on Dead Horse when they're supposedly writing new songs for Chinese Democracy.

(And I say "supposedly" because I refuse to believe CD even exists until I see proof)
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #301 on: October 31, 2006, 04:02:14 PM »

It's possible the setlist doesn't change because the band doesn't know how to play any other GNR songs. They've supposedly spent the past 7 years trying to put album out. Why would they take time away from that to practice old songs?

These guys are professional musicians.? It's not like Duff was laying down Flea-esque base lines.? If Fink can pull off some of Slash's old solos, then they should have no problem learning a few UYI tracks (if they wanted to)...

I didn't say they aren't capable of learning how to play GNR songs. I'm just saying that if they've been writing 70+ songs for the past few years, why would they take time away from that to learn how to play the entire GNR catelog? The setlist isn't changing because they can only play what they know. These guys aren't sitting around, learning the timing on Dead Horse when they're supposedly writing new songs for Chinese Democracy.

(And I say "supposedly" because I refuse to believe CD even exists until I see proof)

They are professional musicians. Who said they should learn the whole discography? How about learning  Dead Horse? Oh, I forgot, in the middle of those "seventy" songs there has been no down time for them to get together and learn some of the older material Roll Eyes

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #302 on: October 31, 2006, 04:51:33 PM »

Well it's either that, or they're too lazy to change up the setlist. Take your pick.

By the way, being a "professional musician" doesn't mean you just automatically know how to play a song with correct timing.
Duffio
Rocker

uh oh, they're back...

« Reply #303 on: October 31, 2006, 05:01:46 PM »

Well it's either that, or they're too lazy to change up the setlist. Take your pick.

By the way, being a "professional musician" doesn't mean you just automatically know how to play a song with correct timing.
  yes it does.. that's why you're a proffesional... I mean i can pick up a song by listening to it and learn the timing.... if you're a musician you'd know.. so don't make silly assumptions based on that you probably aren't a musician...   this thread got way off topic..   I thought it was about the rant, now it's about timing on songs..    Good to see Axl reads and (somewhat cares) about what his fans think...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #304 on: October 31, 2006, 05:40:57 PM »

I dont really understand the complaining about setlists. ?This is the first real tour in years. A lot people going to the shows havent seen GnR live. And most of the ones who have, dont have previous setlists memorized anyway. And why not keep the same setlist throughout the tour? ?What difference does it make to people in Los Angeles what they played in New York? If they do change it up, then you will complain about how you would have preferred the "name city here" set list to the one they saw. ?As long as SCOM, WttJ, and certain others are played, most fans will go home happy. ?Now, if GnR toured about every other year or so, and had the same setlist for years, thats different. ?But this is the first tour back. There will always be songs that you wish that they played. ?This is true with every concert. Metallica doesnt play "Fade to Black" sometimes, which really gets me, but thats the nature of concerts. I go to see GnR hoping to hear Rocket Queen, not expecting to hear it. ?
Good post.  Me too, I can HOPE to hear certain songs (especially Rocket Queen) but I know there's a good chance I won't hear it.  I'm not gonna let that ruin my night.  I plan on seeing the best concert ever at MSG on 11/10 whatever songs they choose to play.  And as I read updates from concerts I don't attend I check to see if any different songs are played.  If they're not, I don't let it ruin my day and bitch about it on internet message boards.  I just thank my stars that my favorite band in all the land is playing shows and touring the world.  And I couldn't be happier about it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #305 on: October 31, 2006, 05:58:52 PM »

so funny as it just takes Axl to say something to put ppl agreeing with each other... axl indeed must be a god... Now everyone does like the setlists again, now all others who dont r just assholes, and all this cos Axl said so... are we that brainless??

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Dr H Lecter
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #306 on: October 31, 2006, 07:06:02 PM »

so here... who's from Ireland and whines about this gnr tour ?? hihi

I'm from and live in Ireland and was proudly at the RDS show in June, never did I once bitch or moan, I would however like to see the album this side of my 60th birthday (I'm 25) if that classifies as bitching then just call me biatch.
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #307 on: October 31, 2006, 08:09:05 PM »

Thats a very ridiculous accusation to say that its 'laziness' which is why they ain't changing the set-list. They can play whatever they want, whatever songs they feel are best to get the audience going, and which ever songs they are most comfortable playing. I know that whether they change it or not I will still be supporting them and attending any show that I can.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #308 on: October 31, 2006, 08:37:15 PM »

so funny as it just takes Axl to say something to put ppl agreeing with each other... axl indeed must be a god... Now everyone does like the setlists again, now all others who dont r just assholes, and all this cos Axl said so... are we that brainless??
It didn't take Axl's latest rant for me to make up my mind.  I've been sick of people screaming for a different setlist since the 2nd Hammerstein show.  Most bands play similar setlists every night.  I bet if you check out gnrontour.com and check the setlists for the UYI tours etc. the setlists would be quite similar.  Just back in those days the internet wasn't as powerful as it is today.  People are free to speak their mind and share their opinions.  It doesn't mean we all have to agree.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #309 on: October 31, 2006, 08:50:56 PM »

? yes it does.. that's why you're a proffesional... I mean i can pick up a song by listening to it and learn the timing.... if you're a musician you'd know.. so don't make silly assumptions based on that you probably aren't a musician...? ?

The only silly assumption I see being made is that if you're a "professional," it automatically means you no longer need to practice . If a 9 piece band has never attempted to play a song together, it's going to come out like shit. Just listen to the terrible version of TWAT they played at Hammerstein. If you can convince yourself it was good, then you must be one of the people who tried to convince themselves that Axl sounded good in 2002.

If you really want to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they do know more songs than what they're playing, then laziness is the only thing you can blame the repetitive setlist on.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 08:52:31 PM by JimMorrison4 » Logged
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #310 on: October 31, 2006, 09:09:09 PM »

16 pages of replies on Axl's rant..... Grin

He's right people need to get more of a life and new interests hihi
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #311 on: October 31, 2006, 09:14:18 PM »

Of course, this is all false until you post the mp3 yes

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
fixintodie
« Reply #312 on: October 31, 2006, 09:18:17 PM »

Axl saying he doesn't have a problem with cameras at shows was possibly the funniest thing I've ever heard. Wink

I guess it most blow for the band to have every song on the setlist so heavily scrutinised, but the flipside of that is the level of excitement and encouragement that will be generated when a new song is added.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:22:14 PM by fixintodie » Logged
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #313 on: October 31, 2006, 09:40:51 PM »

Just back in those days the internet wasn't as powerful as it is today.?

How old are you people? There was no internet in 91. Yes, the millitary has used it for decades, but it wasn't made available to normal people until 94.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
gnrbacik
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #314 on: October 31, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »

If Axl only played new songs off the new albumn and no classics at the next concert, image the bitching people would do then. ?The classic's are great songs, no matter how many times you hear them. ? ?Enjoy the mix they're doing now. ?Just a little patience
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #315 on: October 31, 2006, 10:18:27 PM »

Axl saying he doesn't have a problem with cameras at shows was possibly the funniest thing I've ever heard. Wink

I guess it most blow for the band to have every song on the setlist so heavily scrutinised, but the flipside of that is the level of excitement and encouragement that will be generated when a new song is added.

I wonder what people from St. Louis think about that.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
estranged.1098
« Reply #316 on: October 31, 2006, 10:47:55 PM »

Perhaps you should read the whole story about the St. Louis incident.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #317 on: October 31, 2006, 10:50:18 PM »

Just back in those days the internet wasn't as powerful as it is today.?

How old are you people? There was no internet in 91. Yes, the millitary has used it for decades, but it wasn't made available to normal people until 94.
Thanks for the history lesson.  I'll be sure and look up the initial year the world wide web became mainstream next time.  Sorry that irked you so.

RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #318 on: October 31, 2006, 10:55:38 PM »

Ahh, cause somehow that riot is not related to Axl, right?  ::)Having your picture taken when you don't want it to be is a perfectly just reason for putting thousands of fans in harms way Roll Eyes
Perhaps you should read the whole story about the St. Louis incident.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
Duffio
Rocker

uh oh, they're back...

« Reply #319 on: October 31, 2006, 11:10:45 PM »

lol and you wonder why axl doesn't give us updates... all the fans fight over stupid shit all the time.... this is getting old. so fast.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: