Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 11:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228063 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Who thinks we will see album #3?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who thinks we will see album #3?  (Read 14728 times)
greendog
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2007, 07:02:01 AM »

VR is supposed to be bigger, larger, a 'supergroup' even if they pretend to dislike the term.
Velvet Revolver are only a supergroup because thats what the media has lebelled them as. Certain people seem to believe everything they read in the press, and get super high expectations. All because the collection of high-class past projects should all add up and create something out of this world.

They are supposed to be a big hit, they have expectations that Loaded and Snakepit never had, and they are falling short.
The media has huge expectations and the fans that naively think anything they produce will be an instant classic.

I think they'll split because they know the music isn't good enough. Which is a reason why sales are low.
What makes you think that they think the music isnt good enough? If they thought that, they wouldnt be in the band. None of that has to do with sales either, by making that statement you are just saying that all amazingly talented underground musicians have no hope because they have low sales. Bollocks. Or are you someone that likes a band more based on the ammount of sales they have under their belt?
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2007, 09:03:13 AM »

^ I didn't say I don't like them because they have low sales, or that they'll split because of low sales, and I'm sorry that you couldn't grasp what I was saying. I said low sales were a result, not a cause, in this process. And the way I see it the sales are a result of a bad album. I think Slash and Duff know it's not that great. They've already expressed interest in doing the third album, and what band releases an album and instantly wants to move on? A band that knows it can do better. Much better.

As far as expectations... of fucking course they're set by the media and fans. Who else sets expectations? If Briere goes out and gets only 40 points for the Flyers this year, it won't be good enough to say 'Well that's not so bad, it's just the media and the coaches and the team's fans thought he'd be way better.' Sorry, expectations are set by the people watching, and based on past performance, and in this case VR came up way short.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
greendog
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2007, 09:26:20 AM »

They've already expressed interest in doing the third album, and what band releases an album and instantly wants to move on?
A band thats happy with where they are as a band and is enjoying working together. Not to gain stronger comercial success by effectivly acting like "Yeah, that was a bad album we're all sorry, we're going to the studio now to show you what we CAN do".

As far as expectations... of fucking course they're set by the media and fans. Who else sets expectations? If Briere goes out and gets only 40 points for the Flyers this year, it won't be good enough to say 'Well that's not so bad, it's just the media and the coaches and the team's fans thought he'd be way better.' Sorry, expectations are set by the people watching, and based on past performance, and in this case VR came up way short.

What I meant by media and fans was worded really badly on my part. What I meant was that the media is such a whore and just blows things out of proportion and some fans (after reading hyped articles in mags/papers/news) judge material before hearing it hailing it as an instant classic. Then its released and they say how bad it is. Its the media that has already gave the band the 'supergroup' status, they havent had time to grow as a band into the supergroup shoes, so to speak. They are still growing as a band (despite three of them playing together years ago in Guns).
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2007, 09:53:38 AM »

And the way I see it the sales are a result of a bad album

How are first week sales indicative of the quality of this album? if anything they are a testament to how little hype was generated and the quality of she builds quick machines as a single. The people buying it in the first week, for the most part, haven't heard any of the songs, and with it gaining much better reviews than contraband how could they be under the impression its a bad album.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2007, 12:12:28 PM »

How are first week sales indicative of the quality of this album? if anything they are a testament to how little hype was generated and the quality of she builds quick machines as a single. The people buying it in the first week, for the most part, haven't heard any of the songs, and with it gaining much better reviews than contraband how could they be under the impression its a bad album.

Most people don't care about reviews.  How many movies get blasted by critics and still make boatloads of cash?  A lot.  The same thing in music.  Good or bad reviews from the media have been proven, repeatedly, in music, film, and other entertainment industries not to have much of an impact on sales. 

For a group like VR, sales do tell a story.  We're not talking about a one hit wonder that came out of nowhere and then vanished.  For any artist, if your debut album has strong sales and the followup tanks it says something.  Either most people who bought the first album didn't like it enough to spend money on the followup, or if they did they may have listened to the lead single or the entire album from either the official stream or the leaked version, and decided it wasn't worth spending their money on
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2007, 12:30:58 PM »

And the way I see it the sales are a result of a bad album

Because people buy the album after reading reviews, hearing the first single and often times stealing the album a week or two in advance. Second week sales are going to be extremely low. I think I read somewhere 33,000. That's pathetic.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2007, 02:36:35 PM »

It hasn't sold as much as Contraband, we know that. But wait until The Last Fight comes out as the next single. With a good video, it could start selling again.
Bottom line is, even though it's not selling like Contraband, it's a solid album, and one, I am sure the band are fucking real proud of.

Bring on number three smoking

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2007, 02:51:31 PM »

I would hope to hear a 3rd c.d., but I don't know if it will happen.? It's just a gut feeling that Slash wants out and Scott is into merch more than the band.? Slash could go anywhere and do his thing period.? I would never rule out Duff rejoining GnR.? Again this is just from reading some posts and interviews from VR members.? I hope they continue and I guess we'll see.? I'm on the fence with Libertad...Maybe it'll grow on me?? I haven't really listened to it to really say that it's better or as good as far as I'm concerned than Contraband.? I'm leaning towards Contraband right now though.?

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
ZRO
Rocker

Does this look infected?

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2007, 03:36:14 PM »

Most people don't care about reviews.  How many movies get blasted by critics and still make boatloads of cash?  A lot.  The same thing in music.  Good or bad reviews from the media have been proven, repeatedly, in music, film, and other entertainment industries not to have much of an impact on sales. 

There are a LOT more people who care about good reviews than they do about how something sells. Just because a record sells a lot doesn't mean it's anything worth a shit and the same goes for other media - a movie doing well at the box office doesn't mean it was anything good and a movie doing poorly doesn't mean it wasn't a good film.

If they're having fun then they'll do a third album.  I don't think the sales will effect anything. These guys aren't exactly what I'd call hard up for money, so its not going to make a difference either way.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2007, 03:43:39 PM »

If they're as dramatic as some of the posters on this board they might even pull Libertad from the shelves!   hihi

If they're having fun then they'll do a third album. I don't think the sales will effect anything. These guys aren't exactly what I'd call hard up for money, so its not going to make a difference either way.

I think that's about right...

These guys haven't even started their tour yet and some people are anticipating the breakup. 

AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2007, 04:09:30 PM »

We Built Quick Machines: The Best of Velvet Revolver
something stupid like that. it will likely be a greatest hits with the best of both albums plus covers
i dont see a 3rd REAL recod anytime soon

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
greendog
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2007, 04:15:14 PM »

We Built Quick Machines: The Best of Velvet Revolver
something stupid like that. it will likely be a greatest hits with the best of both albums plus covers
i dont see a 3rd REAL recod anytime soon

2 albums is lame for a greatest hits. I seriously doubt that would happen. They wouldnt allow it. If it happened, it would be a label thing.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2007, 04:24:28 PM »

wonder what would happen if weilands solo album outsold libertad........
greendog
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2007, 06:49:52 PM »

Then more people would own copies of his album than VR's. Thats all.
I doubt it would effect the band. Then again... I doubt even more that would actually happen.

The name Scott Weiland is pretty none-existant over where I am (just my opinion) I've talked about his previous solo album with no mention of other bands and people are genuinly clueless as to who he is and what he does.

(Thats not a dig at Scott... his solo album is one of the best albums I own, I love it. Im not into Pilots as much, but there are a few treasures thats for sure. Im glad hes around as an artist and person.)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2007, 08:48:13 PM »

I doubt it would effect the band. Then again... I doubt even more that would actually happen.

The name Scott Weiland is pretty none-existant over where I am (just my opinion) I've talked about his previous solo album with no mention of other bands and people are genuinly clueless as to who he is and what he does.

(Thats not a dig at Scott... his solo album is one of the best albums I own, I love it. Im not into Pilots as much, but there are a few treasures thats for sure. Im glad hes around as an artist and person.)

I'm a fan of 12-Bar blues myself. Very good stuff.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2007, 09:53:20 AM »

I'm a fan of 12-Bar blues myself. Very good stuff.

what i meant was that if that would happen.. maybe scott will leave VR to pursue a solo career you know.. maybe even STP
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: