Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:31:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  FALSE: "daily star" (yes I know...) -album in 2008 at the earliest
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FALSE: "daily star" (yes I know...) -album in 2008 at the earliest  (Read 34152 times)
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2007, 03:40:13 PM »

Firstly, I just want to say that when it comes to supplying the truth about the current state of play within the GNR camp I can't imagine that anyone with an ounce of sanity remaining would choose to believe a two-bit rag like the Daily Star over Jarmo.

Secondly (and cover your eyes now Jarmo 'cos this is where it gets embarrassing!), Jarmo has provided a marvellous GNR site and board for those who genuinely care about the band and wish to offer their support in a positive, adult manner.  So, it pisses me off enormously when he comes under fire for refusing to be brow-breaten by those who feel that Axl, in particular, isn't playing by their rules, and all credit to him for continuing to debate the issue with posters that, personally, I'd have given up on long ago.

I don't post a great deal because quite frankly I get sick of going over the same old ground with people who believe that Axl owes them an album, tour, trip to the moon or whatever - you have your opinion and I have mine and I doubt that we're going to dissuade each other from what we believe.  Suffice it to say that when I buy a concert ticket, it's on the understanding that I'm going to see the band play live and nothing more.  The bonus being that when I saw Guns play in 2006, their performance was beyond my wildest expectations and left me with the most incredible set of memories and I wholeheartedly thank all the band members for that.

I believe in my heart that the album will be released only when Axl is satisfied with every aspect of it and I trust his judgment on the right time to make that decision.  Music may be a business but it's also an art form and it'd make me very sad if I thought Axl had been put under pressure to release something he wasn't entirely happy with just to line the pockets of the record company execs.

I buy concert tickets, merchandise and albums because I want to.  I get the products I've paid for and Axl 'owes' me nothing beyond this.  Artists are individuals and the way they communicate with their fans is down to their personal preference and I either accept this or waste a lot of my energy bemoaning this and wishing things were different.  Personally, I'd take Axl's honest, sincere and thought-provoking, if infrequent, press releases over other artists numerous blog entries that convey very little in the way of actual substance any day.  Axl speaks to his fans when he genuinely has something of interest to say and in a world of spin, hype and meaningless drivel put forth by the media today, I applaud him for this and think it speaks volumes for his integrity, the value he places on his art and the respect he has for us, his fans.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2007, 04:04:40 PM »

1: Tell me Jarmo. What is this 2006- 2007 G N' R all about? Touring?

Integrity.

2: Appetite for destruction. A bit lame isn't it? Promoting a record from the original G N' R.

So it's lame to play songs they wanna play for people who love to hear those songs?

Ok....  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
EstrangedReality
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2007, 04:11:57 PM »

Something was suddenly made into a promise and since it didn't happen Axl lied.

I don't know about anyone else - but it's pretty clear the March 6th tentative date was just that: tentative. It wasn't a promise that it would be out on that day, and Axl said himself in the letter: "This is not a promise, a lie or a guarantee." Although I hoped for it to come out in March, I never really expected it to, and I didn't feel betrayed when nothing happened. I do think Axl could have taken time on March 6th (or before) to write something on his website to his fans on the personal side (instead of letting Del or whomever write an "update" on the album's recording without any word from the man himself), but that's neither here nor there.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2007, 04:13:15 PM »

2: Appetite for destruction. A bit lame isn't it? Promoting a record from the original G N' R.

They are GUNS N FUCKING ROSES playing GnR songs, like it or not.  If you dont, go away.
rubinho.ma
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2007, 04:25:30 PM »

(...)I believe in my heart that the album will be released only when Axl is satisfied with every aspect of it and I trust his judgment on the right time to make that decision.? Music may be a business but it's also an art form and it'd make me very sad if I thought Axl had been put under pressure to release something he wasn't entirely happy with just to line the pockets of the record company execs. (...)

I couldn't let that one pass. It's very simple: no human being can work for more than 7 years on the same songs and get satisfied with every aspect of them, because (if you are not a buddhist monk or Dalai Lama) it comes to a point that you get tired and sick of them. Try listening the same album, at least a couple times in a week during 7 or more years (Axl probably had more than this), and finish this whole time loving it entirely and feeling that it's perfect and innovative. ?Smiley
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 04:32:13 PM by rubinho.ma » Logged
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2007, 04:26:01 PM »

Something was suddenly made into a promise and since it didn't happen Axl lied.

I don't know about anyone else - but it's pretty clear the March 6th tentative date was just that: tentative. It wasn't a promise that it would be out on that day, and Axl said himself in the letter: "This is not a promise, a lie or a guarantee." Although I hoped for it to come out in March, I never really expected it to, and I didn't feel betrayed when nothing happened. I do think Axl could have taken time on March 6th (or before) to write something on his website to his fans on the personal side (instead of letting Del or whomever write an "update" on the album's recording without any word from the man himself), but that's neither here nor there.

Right on.

It was very clearly tentative, and JUST AS CLEARLY misinterpreted by many of the masses.

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2007, 04:48:04 PM »

1: Tell me Jarmo. What is this 2006- 2007 G N' R all about? Touring?

Integrity.

So it's lame to play songs they wanna play for people who love to hear those songs?

Ok....? Roll Eyes

/jarmo

yeah, but why do you need new players for that? i'm the last one complaining about not having the original line up. i was always hoping to get something more modern with still the genuin axl/gnr spirit in it. and the new band members perfectly reflect the musical tastes i've developed over the years (nin, tool, replacements, primus etc). axl broke with slash and co to do something more progressive. some of those new guys come from those more advanced directions. but you need to put this stuff out. something that sounds cool in its time may be dated or insignificant when not released in the right context (i guess some classics in the history of rock wouldn't be classics if released today). i'm also afraid that the band members will get utterly frustrated if this no-release madness continues... it's not only about the fans, i fear...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 07:42:37 AM by whiny » Logged

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
elmir
VIP

« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2007, 04:52:19 PM »

isn't there a Chinese Democracy Frustration Thread somewhere on this forum where members can vent their...well, frustration?

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2007, 05:29:43 PM »

(...)I believe in my heart that the album will be released only when Axl is satisfied with every aspect of it and I trust his judgment on the right time to make that decision.  Music may be a business but it's also an art form and it'd make me very sad if I thought Axl had been put under pressure to release something he wasn't entirely happy with just to line the pockets of the record company execs. (...)

I couldn't let that one pass. It's very simple: no human being can work for more than 7 years on the same songs and get satisfied with every aspect of them, because (if you are not a buddhist monk or Dalai Lama) it comes to a point that you get tired and sick of them. Try listening the same album, at least a couple times in a week during 7 or more years (Axl probably had more than this), and finish this whole time loving it entirely and feeling that it's perfect and innovative.  Smiley

"Every aspect" in my original comment referred to the whole album package and not simply the music.  However, taking your point about the music, the songs would have been evolving during the period of their creation.  Therefore, it's a little inconguous to compare an artist working on the evolution of a song to me, the listener, hearing the finished article multiple times.

As for "perfect and innovative" - these were not words that I used and this was very definitely not the meaning behind my comment about him being happy with the finished album.  I don't believe that Axl would ever consider a song to be 'perfect' but what I do believe he is striving for is to produce the best work that he is capable of at this time in his life.  When he feels that he has achieved this - and when the business side of things is tied up satisfactorily too - then I believe we'll get the album we've been waiting for.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
BodyCount
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2007, 06:13:41 PM »

Why is it such a big issue that Axl's touring and playing old songs without releasing an album?
Shure it's been a lot of years since the last studio album..

But...GNR are not the only band doing this!!
i'm a huge fan of Queen also, i.m.o. no Queen without Freddie but ok?... i'd like to compare the two (oranges and apples or not!)

It's been over twelve years since "Queen" released new material

Brian May an Roger Taylor still use the name Queen, hire a new singer, the original bass player John quit...

They toured, doing one-and-ahalf new songs, no studio album to back it up,(now in the making)
only "old" songs were played..
Re-releasing liveDVD's going back to the 80's....

Not that i mind....but just pointing out GNR are not THAT exceptional in their strategy/planning ,whatever you might call the delays...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2007, 06:22:51 PM »

Why is it such a big issue that Axl's touring and playing old songs without releasing an album?

It's an issue only on some fan boards and for critics. Not for the most of the fans that's been to the shows.
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2007, 07:46:14 PM »

I used to complain all the time that Uncle Axl was taking too long to get CD out the door, but guess what happened ....

While I still like GNR, and I love the new line-up, I couldn't give a shit if CD comes out or not anymore. Tentative dates, false dates, talk of 80+ songs, delays, being told to wait for the second coming, being told it's right around the corner for years and years and years ... it just doesn't matter. I'm not saying Axl and his music don't matter, but to me, the album doesn't matter any more than the shows. Don't get me wrong, the shows are great, but you can only listen to same basic set list so many times. While it's a great experience for someone who hasn't seen GNR, or someone who is foolish enough to think Axl is a fat bald guy with a bunch of second rate hired hands backing him (those people are pretty stupid), you see it a couple of times, it's enough.

Other bands are putting out CDs, good and bad CDs. But they are putting out CDs.

The only regretible thing is how the fiasco with Chinese Democracy has hurt both Axl's image and the GNR name. He comes off a guy who's too scared to step up and hit the ball when his turn at bat comes up. The tentative date blew by with no real expectation that the album would be released. There hasn't been an official mention of it since. I don't care about the album the way I used to. I used to be able to picture myself holding it in my hands, having just bought it, unwrapping it, sticking it in my truck's CD player and cranking the volume as I take a long drive. Now, I just think that it has been going on this long ? telling fans that "it's coming 'soon'" for so many years, it's become a joke.
Less than a joke.
Chinese Democracy is a punch line for jokes about other bands, movie makers, lazy co-workers, people who drive too slow, drive-through's that can't get your order right, whatever.  Example ? "Man, that place is so slow, you'll get a copy of Chinese Democracy before you get your hamburger and fries!"

That's the thing that bugs me. Not the album, but what the lack of it is doing to the legacy of GNR. I'll always be a GNR fan. I have nothing but respect for Axl and his integrity to the music, his dedication for not releasing it until it's perfect. But if it can't be perfected after this long, some are logically going to think that it must be fundamentally flawed and can't be fixed. That's why it's become a joke. Not just because it hasn't come out, but because we've been teased since 1999 with the title and the words "coming soon."

My point is, I'll always love the music. I'll always see Axl as a singular talent. If the album comes out, I may or may not buy it the day its released. At this point, I may even borrow a copy before I decide to drop $15 on it. That's the sad thing. The anticipation and excitement is gone.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
droezle
King of comedy
Banned
Rocker

Here today,gone to hell

« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2007, 01:00:09 AM »

Ok....? Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Playing songs that people wanna hear or promoting a 20 year old album are 2 complete different things. A lot of people also wanna hear Illusion songs like Civil War,Double talkin' jive etc. but they seem to refuse to play some of these.

Where's Axl?
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2007, 04:43:39 AM »

Edit: Axl never said this.

/jarmo

ive just been reading the paper and in the Hollywood column there's a little section which says

''The long awaited new Guns N' Roses album - already 13 years overdue - has had it's release put back yet again. Axl Rose says he needs more time to work on the songs and the record won't be ready until 2008 at the earliest''.

just thought i'd post it....

http://chinesedemocracy.com/index.php/topic,31244.0.html

who cares anyway..... Roll Eyes same shit, different day!!    THE BUZZ IS OVER!!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
alexander
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2007, 04:56:48 AM »

Guys, I just do not know anymore.  I have been visiting this board now for perhaps ten or twelve years, far longer than most of you and i have seen many ups and downs in the bands career, if you could even call it that.  I went to one of the Australian shows a few months back and yes it was absolutely fantastic.  But i dont know anymore, will this album ever see the light of day?  Year in and year out we see no album, i will always love the old music and i am happy to have that much, i will always believe Axl Rose to be the greatest front man and live performer in Rock and Roll history.  However, will he put this crazy thing out?Huh I guess most of you will go on, year after year for who knows how long with out ever wavering in your faith in this man, but i have to admit, my faith is not what it once was.  And hey, I even have a huge GNR tatto on my back, ( the classic two six shooters and rose vine) I am a true fan, but fuck me Axl, I'd love to hear those tunes brother!!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2007, 08:19:22 AM »

Ok....  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Playing songs that people wanna hear or promoting a 20 year old album are 2 complete different things. A lot of people also wanna hear Illusion songs like Civil War,Double talkin' jive etc. but they seem to refuse to play some of these.

Where the fuck do you get this promoting thing?

Are you saying the Rolling Stones are promoting their albums from the 1960s when they play those songs?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2007, 08:36:38 AM »

^ The dude wants to throw a red herring in there to confuse, in a pathetic attemp to justify his whinning.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2007, 08:53:27 AM »

I thought you couldnt say the f$ck word on here, but its been thrown around every f$cking second lol,
only teasing,

Im glad though that axl is doing Dont Cry now,
just to spice up the live mix abit,

but You have to wonder,
If their is no news for cd in the next few weeks, then
it would be safe and suffice to say, that their will be no album this year...

So then mabye the earliest will be 2008 that we will see axls fine work..

Only a few more weeks to tell..

Remember he said
Promotion Promotion Promotion...

So If nothing by mid of october,say bye bye till the new year'

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2007, 09:25:30 AM »

I'm a vehement supporter of Axl and the new guys, but I severely doubt the album will make it out this year.  Just doesn't seem like enough time to get that going.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Meanmachine22
Rocker

Trust me it's worth the waiting...

« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2007, 10:53:27 AM »

Like said : the excitement is gone and that is a pretty sad thing.
It's a shame to see that songs with that imense kind of potential ( the blues,maddy,twat,better etc.) are kept beeing unreleased.
No logical reason here.. At least not for the average fan.

Personally i won't spent my fucking money for merchandise or concerts anymore until we see a CD
I don't think it is correct to support this "cash grabbing mentality". .....
As long as Axl is getting away with it we might not see an album.
We have seen that in the past. Eveyr year is like a damn deja vu.
It's ridiculous

"when i say the time is right..well, than the time is right fuckhead!"
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: