Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:55:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If CD was a digital download?
Poll
Question: If Chinese Democracy was offered as a digital download, how much would you pay for it?
< $1 (?0.50, 1?) - 18 (11.5%)
$1-5 (?0.50-2.50, 1-3.50?) - 8 (5.1%)
$6-10 (?3-5, 4-7?) - 22 (14.1%)
$11-15 (?5.60-7.70, 8-10?) - 34 (21.8%)
$16-20 (?8-10, 11-14?) - 17 (10.9%)
> $20 (?10, 14?) - 57 (36.5%)
Total Voters: 145

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If CD was a digital download?  (Read 27015 times)
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2008, 03:08:22 PM »

Maybe I'm oldschool, but I prefer having the disk in my hands. I hate digital download. Perhaps they can do both with the Chinese Democracy cd coming with some bonus features.
Agreed 100 percent. I don't trust having only MP3s, especially with how reformatting erases everything and leaves you with hours of re-downloading songs.  And I prefer an actual, physical copy. It looks good to have a giant rack filled with CDs in your room.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2008, 03:39:01 PM »

A lot of people are against digital downloads.

But in some cases, they're a very good thing. Without iTunes, Izzy wouldn't have released two albums in 2007....

The ironic thing is that in an age of HD big screen TVs, many people listen to their compressed music files using iPods with $20 headphones....

/jarmo

Precisely. Music is considered more portable than home entertainment like DVD's, Blu-ray, or HD DVD. However, even digital music stores are starting to increase their quality. All of Amazon's mp3 downloads are 256 kbps, and iTunes has some 256 kbps DRM-free AAC files even though the labels are currently favoring Amazon in an effort to defeat Apple's monopoly by forcing some of their downloads on iTunes to still have DRM with only 128 kbps bitrate. Led Zeppelin is the best example of this. Buy from Amazon mp3 and it's high quality mp3's vs. DRM, low quality AAC files from iTunes.

even if they offer higher mp3 or AAC bitrates.... they still are all compressed files touching/cutting "hearable" frequencies for human ears. the main and weird point is: everything increased in quality over the years but with audio and internet in 2008(!) - quality is down and still much lower quality than a CD....and CD standard is more than 25(!!!!) years old allready (ask yourself if you tape video tv stuff on Betamax in 2008??). add the fact that a "real-25-year-old-standard-CD-format" from chinese democracy is produced anyway (you dont think Axl is listening through 128-256kbps MP3s through headphones/PC speakers, huh?)....i'll never get the point why going down qualitywise from there.

as for me i absolutley wouldnt like to be able to only get the compressed mp3 stuff at first, then waiting weeks/months for a possible physical (25-years-old-standard) cd!

That's why I said they need to have a lossless or uncompressed pre-order. Make it .wav files or Apple Lossless or WMA Lossless ripped straight from the master. Don't release the lossless or uncompressed pre-order version, CD version, or compressed download versions until you have 2 million pre-orders. People can pre-order as many copies as they wish. The die hards would definitely get multiple copies of the pre-order in order to speed up the official release of the album.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:40:32 PM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
Giant_Robot
Rocker

I am not your standard Chicken Dinner

« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2008, 08:58:51 AM »

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/illegal_music_downloaders_to_face_internet_ban.html

beer

Thanks Giant Robot...
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2008, 04:17:33 PM »

You are talking about New Labour and Gordon Brown, they  go for the populus vote and don't think them through ( alittle bit like some members here Wink), they can't even keep hold of the data they own, can't think they'd do a better job of gathering the stuff that they don't.

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
Giant_Robot
Rocker

I am not your standard Chicken Dinner

« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2008, 05:54:16 PM »

You are talking about New Labour and Gordon Brown, they  go for the populus vote and don't think them through ( alittle bit like some members here Wink), they can't even keep hold of the data they own, can't think they'd do a better job of gathering the stuff that they don't.
I dont support New Labour at all !
But i think it must happen, because it tearing apart the Music Industry !

Thanks Giant Robot...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: