Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:22:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Wal-Mart
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wal-Mart  (Read 24649 times)
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« on: August 15, 2008, 05:23:26 PM »

So, as Jarmo advised, we needed to move the Wal Mart discussion to here, I agree, it's no place foe the Gn'R thread. However, it does need a place. Wal Mart needs to be put in their place. I'm at work, so I can't contribute very much, but has anyone ever seen the documentary "Wal mart: The High Price of Low Cost"  If you haven't, see it. BTW, you won't be able to fine it at Wal Mart  Grin

Axl is God.
smishkey
Rocker

Let's go Mets!

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »

PLEASE NOT WALMART.  They are anti-union, cheap labor loving facists.  I never, ever shop there, and never will.  They are the epitome of everything that's wrong with the Corporate-ocracy that the US is becoming.  PLEASE not WALMART.  Stop exploiting the workers, esp the Chinese. Angry

"They're lead singer-haters"  Scott, 4-23-08 on Howard
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 06:10:44 PM »

Im a Walmart whore I admit. They have low prices on food.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 06:40:21 PM »

Wal Mart is considerably less for groceries, but I always add a shirt or pair of pants or DVD  to the list due to the convenience of one stop shopping when I go there, so I spend more anyway.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 06:57:32 PM »

WalMart is a hellhole and does nothing but shit all over the small guy and I will not buy this CD from there under any circumstance.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 07:08:49 PM »

The Walmart employees in my hometown prefer Walmat to Welfare. And they aren't treeted like shit, I know that because I have friends there.

Either way, I'm buying Chinese Democracy. Enough threadjacking.

Frankly, I think welfare pays more than WalMart does.  Not to mention the clauses they have in their health insurance that have screwed some really sick people. 

As ridiculous as it sounds I will NOT pay for this CD if it comes from Walmart.  I will gladly give GNR my hard earned cash by going to see them live and buying merchandise any other way.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 07:12:06 PM »

Sorry for the million posts in a row but have we forgotten this:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/25/walmart.insurance.battle/

Brain-damaged woman at center of Wal-Mart suit

JACKSON, Missouri (CNN) -- Debbie Shank breaks down in tears every time she's told that her 18-year-old son, Jeremy, was killed in Iraq.

The 52-year-old mother of three attended her son's funeral, but she continues to ask how he's doing. When her family reminds her that he's dead, she weeps as if hearing the news for the first time.

Shank suffered severe brain damage after a traffic accident nearly eight years ago that robbed her of much of her short-term memory and left her in a wheelchair and living in a nursing home.

It was the beginning of a series of battles -- both personal and legal -- that loomed for Shank and her family. One of their biggest was with Wal-Mart's health plan.

Eight years ago, Shank was stocking shelves for the retail giant and signed up for Wal-Mart's health and benefits plan.

Two years after the accident, Shank and her husband, Jim, were awarded about $1 million in a lawsuit against the trucking company involved in the crash. After legal fees were paid, $417,000 was placed in a trust to pay for Debbie Shank's long-term care.

Wal-Mart had paid out about $470,000 for Shank's medical expenses and later sued for the same amount. However, the court ruled it can only recoup what is left in the family's trust.

The Shanks didn't notice in the fine print of Wal-Mart's health plan policy that the company has the right to recoup medical expenses if an employee collects damages in a lawsuit.

The family's attorney, Maurice Graham, said he informed Wal-Mart about the settlement and believed the Shanks would be allowed to keep the money.

"We assumed after three years, they [Wal-Mart] had made a decision to let Debbie Shank use this money for what it was intended to," Graham said.

The Shanks lost their suit to Wal-Mart. Last summer, the couple appealed the ruling -- but also lost it. One week later, their son was killed in Iraq.

"They are quite within their rights. But I just wonder if they need it that bad," Jim Shank said.

In 2007, the retail giant reported net sales in the third quarter of $90 billion.

Legal or not, CNN asked Wal-Mart why the company pursued the money.

Wal-Mart spokesman John Simley, who called Debbie Shank's case "unbelievably sad," replied in a statement: "Wal-Mart's plan is bound by very specific rules. ... We wish it could be more flexible in Mrs. Shank's case since her circumstances are clearly extraordinary, but this is done out of fairness to all associates who contribute to, and benefit from, the plan."

Jim Shank said he believes Wal-Mart should make an exception.

"My idea of a win-win is -- you keep the paperwork that says you won and let us keep the money so I can take care of my wife," he said.

The family's situation is so dire that last year Jim Shank divorced Debbie, so she could receive more money from Medicaid.

Jim Shank, 54, is recovering from prostate cancer, works two jobs and struggles to pay the bills. He's afraid he won't be able to send their youngest son to college and pay for his and Debbie's care.

"Who needs the money more? A disabled lady in a wheelchair with no future, whatsoever, or does Wal-Mart need $90 billion, plus $200,000?" he asked.

The family's attorney agrees.

"The recovery that Debbie Shank made was recovery for future lost earnings, for her pain and suffering," Graham said.

"She'll never be able to work again. Never have a relationship with her husband or children again. The damage she recovered was for much more than just medical expenses."

Graham said he believes Wal-Mart should be entitled to only about $100,000. Right now, about $277,000 remains in the trust -- far short of the $470,000 Wal-Mart wants back.

Refusing to give up the fight, the Shanks appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court. But just last week, the high court said it would not hear the case.

Graham said the Shanks have exhausted all their resources and there's nothing more they can do but go on with their lives.

Jim Shank said he's disappointed with the Supreme Court's decision not to hear the case -- not for the sake of his family -- but for those who might face similar circumstances.

For now, he said the family will figure out a way to get by and "do the best we can for Debbie."

"Luckily, she's oblivious to everything," he said. "We don't tell her
what's going on because it will just upset her."
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 09:42:44 PM »

the problem is, Walmart is distroying American jobs everyday! I have no problem with BestBuy or some chain like that. but Please not Walmart!!!!!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 10:54:05 PM »

To quote my old law teacher:

" I rather take my kids to Sears and pay $60 for their jeans instead of taking them to Wal-Mart, because by going to Sears, I can atleast take comfort in knowing my money is going to a company that treats their employees with respect, and allows them to have a union."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 11:00:47 PM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 11:23:49 PM »

lets burn down wal mart and sing cumbia

*only joking wal mart dont sue me* ok
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 11:26:51 PM by **** » Logged

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 11:30:42 PM »

Fuck Wal mart . If Cd is only sold their that is the biggest sell out move Axl could ever do.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 11:45:58 PM »

I wonder how many people with "ethics" issues about Wal-Mart have illegally downloaded the leaks.

Besides the obvious "ethics" contradiction, you are the sole reason the music industry have had no choice but to come up with creative sources of revenue such as exclusive retailers and video game releases.

Edit: And yes, I contributed to that as well, but I'm not bitching about it.

Treating your employees like garbage, and not allowing them to have a union is bit worse than downloading a song Roll Eyes

In my home town, after the commercial fishery shut down, Walmat became the biggest employer. Everyone in my hometown are very grateful for Walmat and the jobs they provide.

You are being pretentious and sophomoric.

And how many jobs has Wal*Mart taken away and how many American towns have had their identities raped because of Wal*Mart?

Do you know how many children suffer in Wal*Marts sweat shops?

Are you aware of the fact that Wal*Mart store managers mess with the computer payroll system just to make their stores profitable?

BUT THEY LET OLD PEOPLE GREET CUSTOMERS!  HUZZAH!
are you a Capitolist

I don't know, I've never been a Congressman myself.

But I'm so flattered that you think so highly of me.  This America of yours sounds nice, I'll have to find a way to defect there from nasty old Canada.

Please no...I want to walk into a real record store and buy this one.

That's how I always pictured it.

Thanks for moving my bit to the proper section.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 11:57:14 PM by Archie Bunker's Chair » Logged
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 07:35:18 AM »

Well as a factory worker. Walmart just plain pisses me off. They sell a cheap crappy product that is made in China. I have lost my job to China and I know what they get paid to work there. Its is sickening and we shouldn't buy any Products produced that way.
Walmart was founded on being a place where you could get Amercian made products. What the hell ever happened to that?

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 12:53:20 PM »

GNR is an American made product--lol

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 01:07:46 PM »

why do people think that walmart is the root of all evil? i know that they destroy the lil businesses but look at where a walmart typically is, its in a bigger city with other bigger bussinesses they're not in little towns, however, with the way big cities and big bussiness has been growing theirs always a big city with in 30 miles of every lil town in america and with the way the economy is farmers and small town folk are willing to abandon big small town prices for the comute to a walmart 30+ miles away.

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 01:12:55 PM »

South Park have an episode on Wal Mart - I urge everyone to go watch it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 02:18:26 AM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 01:15:10 PM »

South Park have an episode on Wal Mart - I arge everyone to go watch it.

yes i knew it! i've been thinking th?t i recognize this shit from a SP episode, thanks for confirming it ok
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 01:46:41 PM »

http://www.walmartmovie.com/facts.php

Read the facts, citations included for all of you who always want a source.

GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 06:09:24 PM »

South Park have an episode on Wal Mart - I arge everyone to go watch it.

yes i knew it! i've been thinking th?t i recognize this shit from a SP episode, thanks for confirming it ok

you never seen that one before? turns out theres a little mirror in the back of each walmart back by the TVs that you can get at a steal for only $399.95 a brand new flat screen could be yours...anyway...in the back by the TV sections is a mirror, if you break it Walmart inploads if you leave it be then it kills you from within so that you don't spread its dark secret

peace  nervous

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 06:14:14 PM »

I know this might disappoint Bandita...but if Chinese Democracy is sold only at Wal-Mart...I'd have to buy my copies there.   Embarrassed

To be honest, I'd by it from Satan himself.  In some ways, it's kind of the same as Wal-Mart I guess.  Cheesy

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: