Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:15:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Wal-Mart
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wal-Mart  (Read 24491 times)
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 06:25:26 PM »

South Park have an episode on Wal Mart - I arge everyone to go watch it.

yes i knew it! i've been thinking th?t i recognize this shit from a SP episode, thanks for confirming it ok

you never seen that one before?

yes i had seen it.. thats what i said that i already have hihi anyway, way nice of u to tell the episode so people won't have to see it, your way is much funnier hihi
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »

I know this might disappoint Bandita...but if Chinese Democracy is sold only at Wal-Mart...I'd have to buy my copies there.   Embarrassed

To be honest, I'd by it from Satan himself.  In some ways, it's kind of the same as Wal-Mart I guess.  Cheesy

Seems every time I post here lately I get a shadow but I am going to answer you anyway Wink

I'm sure I would cave eventually too if that was honestly the only place I could get it!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 07:45:25 PM »

I know this might disappoint Bandita...but if Chinese Democracy is sold only at Wal-Mart...I'd have to buy my copies there.   Embarrassed

To be honest, I'd by it from Satan himself.  In some ways, it's kind of the same as Wal-Mart I guess.  Cheesy

Seems every time I post here lately I get a shadow but I am going to answer you anyway Wink

I'm sure I would cave eventually too if that was honestly the only place I could get it!

Something in my gut tells me there's no fucking way Guns N Roses long-awaited album is going to be sold only in Wal-Mart.  Seriously, think about it.  Don't they censor everything?  Why don't they sign a deal to allow the "clean" or in my words "artistically compromised" versions to be exclusively sold in Wal-Mart?  That would be cool.  Then, they could sign an exclusive deal with a Best Buy or whatever for the "real" album.   yes

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 07:59:50 PM »

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/wal-mart/impact.html

A little old but nothing has changed-

Wal-Mart: Pop Culture Gatekeeper?  Posted: August 20, 2004

As the nation's largest retailer of American pop music, Wal-Mart wields significant influence over the recording industry, artistic creation and consumer choices.
Wal-Mart's refusal to sell certain albums carrying parental advisory labels or containing lyrics or album covers deemed offensive has altered the way the recording industry and musicians conduct business.

This policy most conspicuously affects residents in communities where Wal-Mart is the only place to buy CDs, and will only find those albums that Wal-Mart considers appropriate for retail.

With its roots in the southern Christian heartland of Arkansas, Wal-Mart has rigorously imposed the model of a small town, "family" store on its shops across the nation, says labor historian Dr. Nelson Lichtenstein of California at Santa Barbara, who hosted an April 2004 conference studying the mega-store.

Because of this family values credo, Wal-Mart refuses to carry albums with "parental advisory" stickers or CDs with cover art or lyrics deemed sexually explicit or dealing with topics like abortion, rape, homosexuality or Satanism.

According to its corporate statement on stickered music: "Wal-Mart will not stock music with parental guidance stickers. While Wal-Mart sets high standards, it would not be possible to eliminate every image, word or topic that an individual might find objectionable. And the goal is not to eliminate the need for parents to review the merchandise their children buy. The policy simply helps eliminate the most objectionable material from Wal-Mart's shelves."

Wal-Mart will even request artists and recording companies to change what they consider objectionable lyrics and CD covers.

Since Wal-Mart in 2003 sold 20 percent of the nation's music, recording labels and artists recognize they cannot afford to ignore Wal-Mart's strict family values. Otherwise, their music sales could suffer as a result of not being carried by Wal-Mart.

When Sheryl Crow released her self-titled album in September 1996, Wal-Mart objected to the following lyrics in the song "Love is a Good Thing": "Watch out sister/Watch out brother/Watch our children as they kill each other/with a gun they bought at the Wal-Mart discount stores."

Backed by her record label A&M Records, Crow refused to change those lyrics. In response, Wal-Mart refused to stock the record. The retailer does carry her other albums.

At the time, Crow and her supporters accused Wal-Mart of banning her album because it directly criticized its sale of guns.

Company spokesman Dale Ingram quickly rejected that allegation. "Wal-Mart believes this is an unfair, untrue and totally irresponsible comment," Ingram said, according to a Sept. 10, 1996 Los Angeles Times article. He said the song insults both the chain, which he stressed strictly prohibits the selling of guns to minors, and many of its employees who work with children's charities.
Indeed, A&M executives at the time said they feared Wal-Mart's ban would cost at least 10 percent of her album's potential sales. Furthermore, many residents in rural areas, where Wal-Mart is the only music retailer, would not be able to buy Crow's album if Wal-Mart didn't stock it, the musician told the L.A. Times.

Consequently, most musicians and record companies will decide whether to "clean up" lyrics and album covers to fit Wal-Mart's standards. To avoid any foreseeable conflicts, record labels will often act preemptively by issuing two versions -- one "sanitized" for Wal-Mart and other mega-stores, and another unedited, but only for their star artists. Accordingly, musicians without name recognition must grapple with whether to create music that will not be deemed offensive by mega-stores so that their albums will reach the "masses."

For instance, John Cougar Mellencamp agreed to airbrush images of Jesus Christ and a devil on the cover of his album "Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky." Seattle grunge group Nirvana even changed its song title from "Rape Me" to "Waif Me" for the Wal-Mart version. The band also agreed to change the back-cover art on its In Utero album, which Wal-Mart objected to because it depicted fetuses.

On the other hand, the retailer does carry "Bowling for Columbine," in which filmmaker Michael Moore ridicules the mega-store after walking into a Canadian Wal-Mart to buy gun ammunition without showing any identification.

Moore furthered his attack on Wal-Mart, creating a petition that says: "We call on Wal-Mart to immediately stop the sale of handgun ammunition. Until Wal-Mart does this, we pledge to never again shop at Wal-Mart."

While Wal-Mart does not carry Sheryl Crow's self-titled album, it has no corporate policy against selling Moore's "Bowling for Columbine."

In fact, the corporation does not have a blanket policy on which movies to carry, unlike its ban on "stickered" music, says Wal-Mart spokesperson Karen Burk. While company policy does prohibit the sale of X-rated and unrated films, Wal-Mart stores can sell NC-17 movies as long as customers can show they are legally eligible to buy them, Burk clarified.

The decision on which movies will be ultimately sold, however, is made by individual store managers and local merchandise managers who base the decision on customer feedback, and not on which products have the highest sales, Burk told the Online NewsHour.

Burk referred to Wal-Mart's "store of the community concept," saying that those concepts will "reflect what our customers in that area want."

An informal poll of Wal-Mart associates in stores located in metropolitan areas of Alexandria, Va., Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Pa., and Princeton, N.J., generally confirmed Burk's statements about the company's "store of the community concept."

Upon checking inventory lists, associates told the Online NewsHour that their stores did not stock "Bowling for Columbine." One associate from the Alexandria location said that the decision to "pull (the movie) from the shelves" came from his managers, adding that the store would no longer receive that film from its distribution center.

Associates at those retailers also said they did not carry the extremely violent "Natural Born Killers" by director Oliver Stone or Paul Verhoeven's sexually explicit, rated version of "Showgirls." At the same time, all retailers carried the ultra-violent, highly popular Quentin Tarantino movie, "Pulp Fiction," which associates identified as a high-selling item.

Magazines also must pass an individual store's "community concept" policy. For instance, certain magazines, including Rolling Stone, Maxim and Cosmopolitan, have been displayed with a shield over the magazine cover or even pulled off the shelves entirely in cases where the store merchandise manager deemed the covers too provocative.

Lichtenstein attributes these actions to Wal-Mart's tenacious adherence to its southern "pre-Civil Rights" origins and Wal-Mart patriarch Sam Walton's vision of a company that stood for "traditional values."

Some musicians and other critics say Wal-Mart's policy is tantamount to censorship, but Wal-Mart calls it customer service and "target marketing" for shoppers who overwhelmingly prefer products reflecting their community standards and shared values.

"The 'store of the community' concept is a policy we have, and we feel our customers are comfortable with it," Burk said.

-- By Liz Harper, Online NewsHour

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 03:30:00 AM »

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/wal-mart/impact.html

Seattle grunge group Nirvana even changed its song title from "Rape Me" to "Waif Me" for the Wal-Mart version. The band also agreed to change the back-cover art on its In Utero album, which Wal-Mart objected to because it depicted fetuses.

what was that about Krist Noveselic saying about GNR being the "establishment" rock band?  Nirvana=corporate whores
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 06:03:00 AM »

and will only find those albums that Wal-Mart considers appropriate for retail.
Methodic we know very well the Nazi's used too. hihi

It's a attack against artistic integrity, it will hopefully kill itself as the music industry. Music distrubution is indeed changing peace
or dealing with topics like abortion, rape, homosexuality or Satanism.
Ridiculous...the store has grown quite big and become significant however.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
acdcUSSR
Rocker

Here Tomorrow...

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 09:46:47 PM »

selling the cd at walmart would be quite a contradiction on the label's/axl's part. "Chinese Democracy" being sold in a store that exploits it's Chinese workers. terrible...just terrible. Don't sell out axl!!!!

You dig, what the fuck I'm saying? Homefuck!?
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 11:24:19 PM »

interesting read if you have the time:

The Wal-Mart You Don't Know

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 04:34:06 AM »

U know, i started a thread on Walmart on this forum like 5 years ago! hihi

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 04:36:31 AM »

U know, i started a thread on Walmart on this forum like 5 years ago! hihi

you should bump it  hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 05:07:56 AM »

HAHA. I remember bitching years ago how they sell DVDs that show nudity and have language etc but not CD's.  Walmart do treat their workers often times like disposable waste, but I think they treat them better than fast food places etc would.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 03:10:23 PM »

HAHA. I remember bitching years ago how they sell DVDs that show nudity and have language etc but not CD's.  Walmart do treat their workers often times like disposable waste, but I think they treat them better than fast food places etc would.

Well, maybe not....most fast food places are franchised and independantly owned, so, for example, while McDonalds is a huge corporation, you still work under a small tier. And then it's just a matter of who you work for. (just comparing, I've never actually worked at a fast food place, and am sure it would suck, just thought I'd throw that out there.)

Axl is God.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 05:00:24 PM »

i love Walmart. but i like Target better.

i don't understand why Walmart gets singled out for being responsible for "closing small businesses." if that was true, wouldn't other large discount stores be just as responsible???

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 06:33:54 PM »

i don't understand why Walmart gets singled out for being responsible for "closing small businesses." if that was true, wouldn't other large discount stores be just as responsible???

Target rocks.

Read some of the last article I posted.  It's long but gives good insight about their practices.

The one thing I found interesting is that they will build too many stores in a small area and compete against themselves until they squeeze everyone else out.  Then they just close some of the stores but the damage has already been done.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »

Survival of the fittest Bandita!  If those small stores can't compete, they don't belong in business!  Perhaps those Wal-Mart workers should have just studied harder to get a higher-paying job with good benefits!   rant

(I posted that in my best Republican wannabe style!)   hihi

oops, I forgot to add while watching C-Span, there was a great interview with an expert on Wal-Mart's unbelievable actions.  Apparently Wal-Mart, owned by the multi-billionaire Walton family, gets tax breaks on the construction of new stores!  Ya gotta love it.   Sad
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:57:11 PM by Axl4Prez2004 » Logged

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
AxlLynch
Opening Act

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 02:43:43 AM »

I think all the Walmart hate is hilarious...it just shows how many of us Americans are uneducated sheep.  All the criticism of a Walmart release is just easily refuted. 

One person said that Walmart would lower any street cred with kids...hmm...Walmart just had a month of Madden 09 ads and sold that game amazingly well...no offense to Axl and guns n'roses, but more kids today know about and actively care about Madden than they do about GNR.  If Madden isnt tainted by its midnight walmart release and all of the walmart commercials about it, I dont see how GnR, whose base seems to be people in their 20's and 30, would be deterred by Walmart.

Walmart also isnt the same company that it used to be.  You can now sell parental advisory cd's at Walmart so that rumor is false.  That was an old rule and if there is a "clean" cd walmart prefers to carry it, but in the absence of one, Walmart will carry one with a parental advisory, but will ask for ID.  Again, something would be worked out and we know Axl wont compromise on his music.

The funniest thing is that walmart is some terrible company out to do harm.  First of all Walmart is the 2nd largest employer in this country.  That means 2 million people (and their immediate families) will be able to buy the cd for 10% off with Walmart footing the bill.  It also means that many people can buy the cd at work.  Walmart also is in most towns and is easily accessable at all hours of the night.  Also, go to a GNR concert look around, go to a Walmart look around guarantee you see the same type of people.  Walmart would be the perfect place to target GNR fans and if you put it in an "action alley" where people do a lot of impulse shopping I guarantee many former GNR fans would pick it up even if just for nostalgia reasons.  Obviously if Walmart had an exclusive deal theyd put the CD in a featured position where this would occur.  Hell they could even team with doctor pepper and on the release day starting at midnight Walmart and Dr. Pepper could team up and sell the cd and give away free dr. peppers. 

I love the people who wont buy the cd if its at walmart.  Wow, youre boycott of walmart sure is hurting them as they remain the worlds largest retailer, the most profitable retailer, the only major retailer that is exceeding its profit estimates and continuing its growth.  Good job, you are robbing yourself of a GNR cd and everyday low prices and receiving nothing but some sort of illusioned self satisfaction in return.  90% of Walmart employees have insurance and 100% of them work there because they want to.  The people saying Walmart owns sweatshops...uhhh...link please?  Walmart owns no factory overseas or any sweatshop or anything.  It was founded on buying American but when that became impossible because all the manufacturers moved overseas, they bought what they could from where they could.  Walmart doesnt produce the goods from China, there is no Great Value (walmart brand) clothing or general merchandise.  So if youre going to attack Walmart at least attack it for something its done wrong in the past, such as employing certain bad district and store managers who encouraged asking people to work off the clock or made gender based promotions.  I mean you could bring up that not all of Walmarts 2 million employees are perfect, but why lie about sweatshops.  Walmart buys from China and Mexico, thank Bill Clinton for allowing all of our manufacturers to leave the country and pay little to nothing for it.

As for running out the little guy.....Read about Dearborn Michigan and how many of those mom and pop stores flourished because they changed and adapted.  In business you have to change and adapt, if you are a mom and pop store that sells general merchandise and walmart comes to town and you try to run your store like you did in 1973, you will go out of business.  However, if you realize that "hey, walmart doesnt specialize or doesnt carry high end items" you could flourish.  There are many cases of computer stores moving right next to Walmarts so that they can leach off the people who go there who also want middle to high end computers.  Also many video stores move next to walmarts, people buy their groceries and want to rent a movie etc...Business is not charity, nor is it candyland, people have to be smart and have the ability to change to succeed...if people dont have this then of course walmart will hurt them, if they do though Walmart can provide more money in the community as well as allowing other businesses to purchase items cheaply as well.

Dont be dumb people if the album was released at walmart, if you refused to buy it you wouldnt be hurting Walmart...the first or second (depending on the day) most profitable company in the world, you wouldnt really even be hurting GNR, youd only be hurting yourself.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 04:50:59 AM »

Target rocks.

Read some of the last article I posted.  It's long but gives good insight about their practices.

The one thing I found interesting is that they will build too many stores in a small area and compete against themselves until they squeeze everyone else out.  Then they just close some of the stores but the damage has already been done.

Remember at the end of that Wal*Mart film where they show an empty Wal*Mart?  That's class.

They can't even lease out the building because it's so huge and no one wants to go in there.

What happens?  The monolithic building becomes an eyesore.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 06:01:33 AM »

why do people think that walmart is the root of all evil? i know that they destroy the lil businesses but look at where a walmart typically is, its in a bigger city with other bigger bussinesses they're not in little towns, however, with the way big cities and big bussiness has been growing theirs always a big city with in 30 miles of every lil town in america and with the way the economy is farmers and small town folk are willing to abandon big small town prices for the comute to a walmart 30+ miles away.

It is in small towns. I live near a town with only like 25,000 people they already have a prefectly good Walmart and other stores and they are building a SuperWalmart. So the other building can sit empty and look like crap.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 01:41:30 PM »

Hey AxlLynch, are you a Wal Mart represenative or something? Your whole two posts both deal with Wal Mart. Sure, exclusivly releasing a CD at Wal Mart might be a good thing for the artist, however, this thread is not about that. This is all the harm that Wal Mart does is other areas. You say 2 million people in this country work at Wal Mart. Well, if thats the case, then theres 2 million people living in poverty with a shitty health care system. At the very least they should be able to unionize and have an organization look out for their best interests. But no, Wal Mart won't allow that.

Axl is God.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 08:48:13 PM »

WTF registers on a GNR forum just to defend WalMart?   confused
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: