Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 07:56:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228033 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 440503 times)
eddiesson
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1380 on: January 07, 2009, 08:48:40 PM »

Yeah, it's really sad how society has gradually degenerated into a culture of stinginess.

Even most of my family this year decided that they were no longer giving out Christmas presents, just on birthdays from now on Lips Sealed

what happened to the tradition of crafting presents? You can still create your own gifts instead of buying them.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1381 on: January 07, 2009, 10:11:46 PM »

2008 TOP TEN VINYL ALBUMS

(12/31/2007-12/28/2008)

Title/Artist                  Units Sold               
1     In Rainbows/ Radiohead        25,800     
2     Abbey Road/ Beatles           16,500       
3     Chinese Democracy/ Guns 'N   13,600       
       Roses

4     Funplex/ B-52's               12,800       
5     Third/ Portishead             12,300       
6     In the Aeroplane.../ Neutral  10,200       
       Milk Hotel
7     Dark Side of the Moon/ Pink   10,200       
       Floyd
8     Fleet Foxes/ Fleet Foxes      9,600       
9     Death Magnetic/ Metallica    9,400       
10   O.K. Computer/ Radiohead   9,300

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/2008-us-music-purchases-exceed/story.aspx?guid={6335B083-3284-461F-A0C7-C018F0997DBA}&dist=msr_3

Also, the top vinyl records of the year were Radiohead's In Rainbows (25,800) followed by (and here's a surprise) The Beatles' Abbey Road, which managed to sell 16,500. The top five is rounded out by Guns N' Roses' long-awaited Chinese Democracy (13,600), The B-52s' Funplex (12,800) and Portishead's also long-awaited Third (12,300).

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #1382 on: January 07, 2009, 10:29:12 PM »

Now keep on rolling.... !
themsbreaks
Opening Act

« Reply #1383 on: January 07, 2009, 10:30:15 PM »

Can I ask why it is of any importance to people here how many copies this new album sells?

Do you want the members of the band, and the record company, to make lots of money?

Do you want the album to be popular because that will somehow make you feel better about your love of the album?

Do you have thoughts along the lines of "If only people can hear this album, they'll fall in love with it"?

I'm asking because I don't understand.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1384 on: January 07, 2009, 10:41:19 PM »

Can I ask why it is of any importance to people here how many copies this new album sells?

Do you want the members of the band, and the record company, to make lots of money?

Do you want the album to be popular because that will somehow make you feel better about your love of the album?

Do you have thoughts along the lines of "If only people can hear this album, they'll fall in love with it"?

Good question(s).  For me, when it comes right down to it, the sales really don't matter.  I love the album and that's all that counts.  But, I really think it's a great album that people could get into if they allowed themselves to.  And while sales don't matter, good sales and high chart positions don't exactly hurt anything.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1385 on: January 07, 2009, 11:10:41 PM »

For a lot of people sales is the way to measure an album's success.

And often sales are used as proof of quality....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #1386 on: January 07, 2009, 11:18:40 PM »

Yeah, but it's also cool when people are enthusiastic and supportive of something you think is really good. 

It's not as much fun seeing a basketball game in a half empty arena, even if it is your favourite sport right?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1387 on: January 07, 2009, 11:30:04 PM »

Yeah, but it's also cool when people are enthusiastic and supportive of something you think is really good. 

It's not as much fun seeing a basketball game in a half empty arena, even if it is your favourite sport right?

I don't really see the similarity to music, to be honest.  I listen to music by myself, mostly, and my connection to the music is more profound than my connection to any sport or team.

Ali
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #1388 on: January 08, 2009, 12:09:39 AM »

Maybe it's a late bloomer like IDK AFD.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #1389 on: January 08, 2009, 12:39:12 AM »

The fact that Old Guns sold millions of records fed their aura as "The World's Biggest And Most Dangerous Rock Band". It didn't matter that parents, the "politically correct" crowd, your teachers, various other authority figures, etc. hated them... there was NO stopping them. It was a perfect storm of commercial viability, artistic significance and international celebrity. It made it particularly fun to be a Guns fan and it set them apart from virtually every other band out at that time.

Though I don't really expect that to happen in quite the same way again (very likely a "once in a career" type phenomenon IMHO)- having experienced it as a teenage fan... I would like to see that at least some of that old magic in terms of notoriety and commercial significance is still attached to the band. Reaching "Gold" status in the US is a good initial first step. ok

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
aussiegunner
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1390 on: January 08, 2009, 03:22:18 AM »

Because I want them to keep bringing out albums and touring. Axl and nuGuns deserve massive success. If the album sold poorly, do you think you would be hearing as much from the band in the future?..  Axl has given me so much with his music, I hope the album sales go through the roof for his and Gunners fans sake.
aussiegunner
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1391 on: January 08, 2009, 03:24:16 AM »

"And to all those opposed!!!......"   Grin
italysfinest1985
Rocker

Riding on the night train...

« Reply #1392 on: January 08, 2009, 08:32:28 AM »

/jarmo

Exactly.

Guns N Roses Custom Reunion Trailer (Axl & Slash)
https://youtu.be/7NdNrNslYkU
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #1393 on: January 08, 2009, 08:40:34 AM »

I thought I would see more info on digital downloads, since that is where purchasing music is continuously headed.  The compact disc will go the way of the dinosaur in the not so distant future.  Plus, what a smart business decision to push a million plus albums on one retailer.  It was a platinum album on day one because all the discs were shipped.  They recovered the cost of recording (13/14 mil) by signing the agreement with Best Buy.  I'll bet Geffen was doing back flips. And there should be no boo-hoo'ing on Best Buys part.  All that brand awareness simply from having their company tied to GN'R websites, that is a big deal to retailers.  How many DVDs, blank discs or computer accessories you think they sold from an added 500,000 individuals stepping into their store?

Plus, Guns is a worldwide band, they don't need to rely on America for success.  Two + years straight touring the world in the UYI days makes that happen.  It's got to be close to 2 million sold worldwide by now.  20-30 bands a year hit those numbers, not too shabby.

Chicago 11/15/11
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1394 on: January 08, 2009, 09:30:09 AM »

Note: An album is eligible for gold certification by the Recording Industry Association of America after it has shipped 500,000 copies in the U.S.)

I'm sure they shipped more than that to Best Buy.

Huh

I'm sure they did too... the number I've heard thrown around is 1.6 million copies shipped to Best Buy- which would make it platinum and then some. I'm not sure how RIAA deals with "exclusive deals" though. Maybe they hold up official certification until the deal expires and the album is widely available?

Whatever the case, an important first threshold (Gold/500,000 sold in US) has been reached. Congratulations to the band! beer

The Eagles album (WalMart exclusive) last year was certified like 7x platinum a month or so after release.  Of course, the Billboard numbers didn't add up to anything close to that.  So by that logic, CD is already platinum?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1395 on: January 08, 2009, 09:59:16 AM »

There's one thing that confuses me about Best Buy.

Assuming the exclusivity deal ends after some months, we'll be able to see the album in more stores and buy it online at places like Amazon.com.

Isn't this the window where Best Buy should be trying to capitalize on their exclusivity and promote the album more aggressively?

It makes less sense to promote it once it's on Amazon, at Target, Walmart and every other store that sells records.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Meanmachine22
Rocker

Trust me it's worth the waiting...

« Reply #1396 on: January 08, 2009, 10:00:37 AM »

I want this album to do good because i want GNR to dominate the fucking world

"when i say the time is right..well, than the time is right fuckhead!"
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #1397 on: January 08, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »

So by that logic, CD is already platinum?

Chinese Democracy went Platinum the day they shipped 1.3 million units to Best Buy (@ $9 a pop = $11.7 mil), it's a fact.

Black Frog/Geffen went as far as to include a "no return" policy. I think the "exclusivity" agreement ends in May '09.

Why Best Buy is going the extra mile on promotion I'm guessing is a reflection on "cutting costs" in a dismal economy.  Either way they've made their nut by already selling 500K copies.  Amazing with no real media push or tour.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:09:01 AM by Layflats » Logged

Chicago 11/15/11
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1398 on: January 08, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »

Either way they've made their nut by already selling 500K copies.  Amazing with no real media push or tour.

That number should include iTunes sales as well?

/jarmo

Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #1399 on: January 08, 2009, 10:20:03 AM »

The industry is weird.  You have the RIAA which is what issues Gold, Platinum status which is built on shipped units minus returns (why the no return policy clause was genius).  They you have Nielsen Sound Scan which builds the numbers you see on Billboard and the like, which has no direct effect on how the RIAA issues Gold and Platinum albums.

I don't understand where itunes downloads factor in and wonder if the industry is trying to still catch up to the phenomenon.  I imagine GN'R/Geffen is more than happy when you download their material from itunes.

Chicago 11/15/11
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: