Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better" starting to gain MAJOR steam.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better" starting to gain MAJOR steam.  (Read 64429 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2009, 07:51:40 PM »

Or just promote the album thats already out. That might work too.
Since Best Buy already bought their copies upfront, I think they'll wait for the exclusivity to end before they re-issue the album the way Axl initially envisioned.

That's my guess as well.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2009, 07:55:13 PM »

Re release the CD all u want, but until Axl does some promo and announces a tour or something, video, something, the album won't sale just cause it is re-released

U have to wonder if he is burning some bridges doing that also

u get what? 13 million from BB, don't promote it, only to wait till the exclusive is up and re release it and THEN start promoting it......... seems a bit shady

so next album, i bet no store will touch an exclusive.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2009, 08:02:06 PM »

Re release the CD all u want, but until Axl does some promo and announces a tour or something, video, something, the album won't sale just cause it is re-released

u get what? 13 million from BB, don't promote it, only to wait till the exclusive is up and re release it and THEN start promoting it......... seems a bit shady don't u think?
I see what you're saying, but Best Buy bought a specific amount, 1.5 million or whatever it was.  They're gonna sell through those one way or another.  I don't know if they planned on selling them in a certain time period, but they knew the risk.  And I don't know the specific logistics but even if they don't turn a profit on the deal you can't say that's completely Axl and GNR's fault for lack of promo.  And I'm not speaking about who's responsible for promo, whether it be Axl, Best Buy, the record company.  I'm speaking more about the fact that Best Buy made the deal thinking they'd get added foot traffic into the store leading to sales on higher end items.  BUT, I don't' have to explain the fact that we're kneck deep in a recession right now so that hasn't exactly worked out as they planned.  Even if people were rushing in droves to Best Buy to get CD, I don't see them buying stereo systems, digital cameras, plasma TV's, etc. on their way out the door.  Money is tight for most everyone right now so in essence this deal was destined to fail from the start.

Also Axl did say that things promotion-wise were planned for further in the future.  I know Axl has said some things in the past that didn't quite come to fruition, so we'll just have to wait and see.  But it all would seem to make sense that the promotion would kick in once the exclusive deal runs out and they're able to release the version that Axl sees fit on a larger scale.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:05:16 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Axlspants
Rocker

« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2009, 03:02:53 PM »

u get what? 13 million from BB, don't promote it, only to wait till the exclusive is up and re release it and THEN start promoting it......... seems a bit shady

so next album, i bet no store will touch an exclusive.

My opinion for what its worth is that the album will be promoted fully once the Best Buy exclusive is over. I think its fair to say that the GnR/Best Buy relationship is on the rocks and GnR have put things on hold till then. It makes perfect sent to push the album again once it is available everywhere in the US. I also believe that if the album started to shift in the US it would lift sales in other countries (I'm in the UK). I think once this exlusive period is over we will get a proper release of Better and a video, hopefully some tour news and (in my dreams) an interview.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »

It was pretty apparent with the lack of a real push for Better that the record label had no real interest in promoting the album post-release.  They cashed their check, recouped their costs and essentially realized that every album sold outside the US was profit.  From a business standpoint it's the smart thing to do for them.  Although it sucks for Best Buy, it seems to me that their business team made a serious miscalculation

They saw the success that Wal-Mart exclusives had but failed to realize that expecting to match that success was unrealistic.  Not only do they have less than a quarter as many locations as Wal-Mart, they don't have even close to the repeat business that Wal-Mart has.  Millions of people shop at Wal-Mart once a week, or more often than that, for everything from food to household supplies to electronics to whatever else they need in life.  I would bet that aside from a few rare cases, even Best Buy's more frequent customers only go there once a month or so.  I've only been to Best Buy maybe 7 or 8 times in my life and one of those times was to buy CD. 
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2009, 07:27:16 PM »

It was pretty apparent with the lack of a real push for Better that the record label had no real interest in promoting the album post-release.  They cashed their check, recouped their costs and essentially realized that every album sold outside the US was profit.  From a business standpoint it's the smart thing to do for them.  Although it sucks for Best Buy, it seems to me that their business team made a serious miscalculation

They saw the success that Wal-Mart exclusives had but failed to realize that expecting to match that success was unrealistic.  Not only do they have less than a quarter as many locations as Wal-Mart, they don't have even close to the repeat business that Wal-Mart has.  Millions of people shop at Wal-Mart once a week, or more often than that, for everything from food to household supplies to electronics to whatever else they need in life.  I would bet that aside from a few rare cases, even Best Buy's more frequent customers only go there once a month or so.  I've only been to Best Buy maybe 7 or 8 times in my life and one of those times was to buy CD. 

Spot on.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2009, 12:03:37 AM »

When I buy CDs, I go to Best Buy. I always have. Even before stores like Sam Goodey and Tower went under. It was always Best Buy. Maybe Target occasionally. Never Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart does not specialize in music.  Have you seen Wal-Marts music section?  Its a joke.  Best Buy at least has more than one album by many more artists than Wal-Mart carries.  Saying that people dont go to Best Buy for music is just wrong.  They just dont go there to buy Chinese Democracy.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2009, 12:05:05 AM »

When I buy CDs, I go to Best Buy. I always have. Even before stores like Sam Goodey and Tower went under. It was always Best Buy. Maybe Target occasionally. Never Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart does not specialize in music.  Have you seen Wal-Marts music section?  Its a joke.  Best Buy at least has more than one album by many more artists than Wal-Mart carries.  Saying that people dont go to Best Buy for music is just wrong.  They just dont go there to buy Chinese Democracy.

I have only been there twice.

The Rolling Stones' "Biggest Bang" DVD

Chinese Democracy.

I support independent record stores.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2009, 12:18:49 AM »

My one and only independent record store only sells clothes now.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2009, 12:34:16 AM »

My one and only independent record store only sells clothes now.

Which store would that be?
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2009, 12:45:32 AM »

still yet, people are on here blaming Best Buy.
How can u blame an electronics store? they can't make videos or go on tour or talk to music magazines.

Nowhere did I blame them for that.

I clearly pointed out what they have done and how they could've done more if they wanted to.

People are saying Best Buy did a lot. I didn't see it at the stores I visited during the album's first week.

/jarmo

Just like I stated a few threads ago, I felt that BB did a great job. Sorry to disagree with King jarmo, but so does the real King disagree with king jarmo and I'll quote, "Best Buy has been great." See Billboard article 2/6/2009
ecwfan
Rocker

« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2009, 01:20:07 AM »

still yet, people are on here blaming Best Buy.
How can u blame an electronics store? they can't make videos or go on tour or talk to music magazines.

Nowhere did I blame them for that.

I clearly pointed out what they have done and how they could've done more if they wanted to.

People are saying Best Buy did a lot. I didn't see it at the stores I visited during the album's first week.

/jarmo

Just like I stated a few threads ago, I felt that BB did a great job. Sorry to disagree with King jarmo, but so does the real King disagree with king jarmo and I'll quote, "Best Buy has been great." See Billboard article 2/6/2009

Of course did you expect Axl to shit all over the Best Buy situation ? Since they are selling his album and he needs that ? I'm sure blame on Best Buy is gonna be there. The company has really no experince in promoting Exclusive albums like Wal-Mart has. In the end Rose took the high road here.....since the Exclusive deal did allow CD to get released.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2009, 01:50:15 AM »

Backside Records in Burbank. Ironically, they do have Chinese Democracy.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2009, 01:52:45 AM »

Backside Records in Burbank. Ironically, they do have Chinese Democracy.

Atomic Records on Magnolia is much better.

And if you ever come out to my part of the valley, check out Second Spin.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2009, 12:20:56 PM »

agreed about the label.
as for bestbuy I don't think they miscalculated. as CD made that many GNR fans like you visit their store.
when general sales with the record company's push starts it won't suck for best buy either.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2009, 08:43:29 AM »

"Best Buy has been great."

W. Axl Rose.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Principessa
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2009, 08:47:53 AM »

It is also important to note that the Best Buy deal is only exclusive in America.

In other countries the CD is sold in a number of major stores such as Target.

It regularly features in their catalogues (as well as catalogues for other stores).

In fact, leading up to Christmas Target had a 2 CDs for a special price promo-

CD was part of the selection alongside Kings of Leon, The Killers, Cold Play, Death Magnetic.

When I looked, all the GN'R CDs were pretty much gone from the display.  ok
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:56:28 AM by Principessa » Logged

...and I Do
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2009, 10:35:02 AM »

When I buy CDs, I go to Best Buy. I always have. Even before stores like Sam Goodey and Tower went under. It was always Best Buy. 

I would think you are in the minority there...

as CD made that many GNR fans like you visit their store.

I didnt... I bought my copies online and didnt get anything else... Hell I walked through best buy the other day laughing @ their ridiclous prices on everything, from movies to stereos... They are like all of the other crap shacks that have gone unver over the years...

And i'm not saying this because i'm bitter about CD in anyway.. Its because they sell copies of the love guru for $18.99, and any given cd for $16.99 still....
ecwfan
Rocker

« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2009, 11:59:17 AM »

I think Interscope saw the strong sales overseas and were shocked. If you reasonably promote an album like this showed....it can sell. I mean wow...thats an impressive number overseas  (2.6 million) . Imagine if they honestly got behind the freakin thing here and overseas. They could have a major .....major hit on their hands.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #179 on: February 07, 2009, 12:02:39 PM »

I still think it will be a big hit once the music video comes out ! I really think that will do the trick.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: