Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose Interview With Del James
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose Interview With Del James  (Read 123219 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #640 on: March 03, 2009, 11:36:59 AM »

I thought it was Scott that most people didnt like?  He doesn't really have the pipes which also has a huge affect on what a lead guitarist can do.

Anyways, lets keep this GNR based!

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Uber-Tech
Opening Act

« Reply #641 on: March 03, 2009, 12:04:16 PM »

people are already pestering him about a release date for the next album.

Some people are just never satisfied, no matter what the man does.  They can't seem to appreciate how hard this band have worked to get Chinese out.  Personally, given all the shit that both Axl and the band went through in making the album, I don't think they'll be running into any recording studios in the near future.

I hope they'll go on tour, I hope they'll release another album, but at the end of the day, I have the album I waited half my life for.  It's an amazing album, and has made me very happy. If Guns don't want to give anything more than they already have done, then so be it. 

If you don't believe in yourself, don't expect others to.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #642 on: March 03, 2009, 02:03:35 PM »

Even though I think Contraband fucking rocks like a motherfucker, I absolutely 100 percent agree that Slash is at his best when someone is pushing him. I have said that for years.

now, to say his VR work is subpar, I don't agree with. His Libertad work, Ok, I give u that, but CB fucking Rocks like hell so I don't agree with that assessment 100 percent.

This is where shit is going to get touchy and if u are not mature enough to handle, stop reading now ok cause I don't want  a fucking net war over what I am about to say:

I feel Axl is not challenged on Chinese Democracy guitar wise.

The ballads are fucking AWESOME on Chinese Democracy, I mean just amazing amazing stuff, I don't have enough Adjectives to properly heap praise on how great the ballads are.

The rock stuff however.............. That is where CD fails in my opinion. Scraped is kick ass, but honestly, none of the other rockers give me any sort of adrenaline rush.

So basically, when I am running at the gym or hitting the weights, I prefer Contraband.

When I just want to be taking on a musical journey or am feeling down etc, Chinese is one of the greatest albums ever.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #643 on: March 03, 2009, 02:23:45 PM »

Even though I think Contraband fucking rocks like a motherfucker, I absolutely 100 percent agree that Slash is at his best when someone is pushing him. I have said that for years.

now, to say his VR work is subpar, I don't agree with. His Libertad work, Ok, I give u that, but CB fucking Rocks like hell so I don't agree with that assessment 100 percent.

This is where shit is going to get touchy and if u are not mature enough to handle, stop reading now ok cause I don't want  a fucking net war over what I am about to say:

The ballads are fucking AWESOME on Chinese Democracy, I mean just amazing amazing stuff, I don't have enough Adjectives to properly heap praise on how great the ballads are.

The rock stuff however.............. That is where CD fails in my opinion. Scraped is kick ass, but honestly, none of the other rockers give me any sort of adrenaline rush.

So basically, when I am running at the gym or hitting the weights, I prefer Contraband.

When I just want to be taking on a musical journey or am feeling down etc, Chinese is one of the greatest albums ever.

I agree to some extent, but I think Shacklers Revenge is one of GNR's hardest, heaviest, and blood pumping songs to date. 

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #644 on: March 03, 2009, 02:36:06 PM »

I agree to some extent, but I think Shacklers Revenge is one of GNR's hardest, heaviest, and blood pumping songs to date. 

Thats my favorite too.

I guess when it comes to the "being pushed" thing, that can go both ways, but art is so subjective. peace

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #645 on: March 03, 2009, 02:38:33 PM »

contraband is a fucking terd and why is it still a topic of discussion here?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #646 on: March 03, 2009, 02:45:12 PM »

OOPS my omission and I really apologize cause I do fucking love Shackler's Revenge. Thanks for the correction.

Jim Bob

All of this convo is relevant because it falls under Axl's interview where he talks about Slash's playing since GNR.

Also let me preface what I said above by saying, I don't hate the rockers, I mean they are good, but they don't, outside of Scraped and Shackler's, give me that push on the gas pedal, kick my speed into high gear while running adrenaline boost.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #647 on: March 03, 2009, 03:05:20 PM »

Better, Riad and Scraped alone shits all over any VR rocker IMHO.

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #648 on: March 03, 2009, 03:19:04 PM »

ever imagined Axl working and singing on "Suckertrain Blues", "Slither" or "Falling To Pieces"?

his interview -again- sounds bitter and harsh in many ways, exspecially the hatred regarding to Slash. this surely must have been something he finally needed to get out of his chest, hope he feels better now and can move on.

Re-Union time, baby!!
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #649 on: March 03, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »

Better, Riad and Scraped alone shits all over any VR rocker IMHO.

I agree 100 percent !

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #650 on: March 03, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »

ever imagined Axl working and singing on "Suckertrain Blues", "Slither" or "Falling To Pieces"?

his interview -again- sounds bitter and harsh in many ways, exspecially the hatred regarding to Slash. this surely must have been something he finally needed to get out of his chest, hope he feels better now and can move on.

Axl would improve those songs, but they still wouldn't stand up to the material on CD. Slither is probably the standard for contraband, and Better for CD... Better wins i think. Slither has a great groove, and like most VR i think it stands a lot on Weiland's vocal melody, which is great, but for a similar and better melody look no further than Shacklers.

EDIT: also, i don't think it's fair to expect Axl to move on when the public has not. He has to answer these questions, because anyone interviewing him has to ask them. They'd be a crap journalist if they didn't. It may be that Axl is very much at peace with it, having just released the album he wanted with musicians he respects. But having moved on doesn't mean he has to change his opinion. He doesn't like the guy, and he has his reasons. There are people i didn't like a long time ago, don't think of much now, but if you asked me my opinion, it wouldn't suddenly be higher. In short, just because some people love Slash, doesn't mean Axl has to be one of them.

If you get more of an adrenaline rush from VR style songs that's cool, but CD fails on the rock stuff??  Roll Eyes
The CD to Shacklers combo and then the Scraped to Riad combo on the same album is amazing. Maybe you're just looking for something more up-tempo. I get your point about the different styles of music, and about CD being a journey... and i think that's something that doesn't get talked about enough. Chinese Democracy is an incredible accomplishment in that it is a complete and coherent album where each song is totally unique and yet the sum is still greater than the parts. In that sense it's more like Appetite than any other.

I also think it's pretty silly to say Axl isn't challenged on CD guitar-wise. I don't even know where to begin. There are a lot of exceptional guitars on the album, rockers and ballads.

To bring it back to Axl's interview... I think what he was largely saying was that Slash hasn't done much post-GNR that strikes him as inspired. The "passion and dedication to the art" and that certain "energy." Regardless of what songs anyone likes or dislikes, i think that's a totally fair criticism. I also think what Axl was describing is something you can find in the work of the guitarists on CD. In many ways it's an intangible thing, a feeling or a freshness to something. A life in it, the same way that a vocalist can sing a song at one time in their career and it really hits, and then later it can feel stale or unmoving. Axl was even clear to say he didn't want to take away from the past, and that he wasn't talking about style or technique. So if we want to talk about Slash, let's talk about that... do we really think his post-GNR work sounds as inspired and alive, as passionate and energetic, as it used to? And do we think it stands in that same way with the work on CD? IMHO Axl is spot on.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:54:11 PM by Skunk » Logged
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #651 on: March 03, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »

My first reaction was like that. That it was harsh and bitter. But after thinking about it, I think it's more like Axl is going; "Ok, it's time to KILL this subject once and for all..."'

It's like he's shooting down the subject in these first interviews. So that, down the line, people/journalists/fans will start to finally understand that; 'well, no need to go there....'    Wink

Stavanger-rock-city!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #652 on: March 03, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »

Even though he said those things, some still refuse to give the idea a rest.

So imagine if he had used words that weren't that "strong"...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #653 on: March 03, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »

People are indeed refusing, but it's kinda obvious why... How else they could acuse Axl of offending their holy old material?

Axl would improve those songs, but they still wouldn't stand up to the material on CD. Slither is probably the standard for contraband, and Better for CD... Better wins i think. Slither has a great groove, and like most VR i think it stands a lot on Weiland's vocal melody, which is great, but for a similar and better melody look no further than Shacklers.

EDIT: also, i don't think it's fair to expect Axl to move on when the public has not. He has to answer these questions, because anyone interviewing him has to ask them. They'd be a crap journalist if they didn't. It may be that Axl is very much at peace with it, having just released the album he wanted with musicians he respects. But having moved on doesn't mean he has to change his opinion. He doesn't like the guy, and he has his reasons. There are people i didn't like a long time ago, don't think of much now, but if you asked me my opinion, it wouldn't suddenly be higher. In short, just because some people love Slash, doesn't mean Axl has to be one of them.

If you get more of an adrenaline rush from VR style songs that's cool, but CD fails on the rock stuff??  Roll Eyes
The CD to Shacklers combo and then the Scraped to Riad combo on the same album is amazing. Maybe you're just looking for something more up-tempo. I get your point about the different styles of music, and about CD being a journey... and i think that's something that doesn't get talked about enough. Chinese Democracy is an incredible accomplishment in that it is a complete and coherent album where each song is totally unique and yet the sum is still greater than the parts. In that sense it's more like Appetite than any other.

I also think it's pretty silly to say Axl isn't challenged on CD guitar-wise. I don't even know where to begin. There are a lot of exceptional guitars on the album, rockers and ballads.

To bring it back to Axl's interview... I think what he was largely saying was that Slash hasn't done much post-GNR that strikes him as inspired. The "passion and dedication to the art" and that certain "energy." Regardless of what songs anyone likes or dislikes, i think that's a totally fair criticism. I also think what Axl was describing is something you can find in the work of the guitarists on CD. In many ways it's an intangible thing, a feeling or a freshness to something. A life in it, the same way that a vocalist can sing a song at one time in their career and it really hits, and then later it can feel stale or unmoving. Axl was even clear to say he didn't want to take away from the past, and that he wasn't talking about style or technique. So if we want to talk about Slash, let's talk about that... do we really think his post-GNR work sounds as inspired and alive, as passionate and energetic, as it used to? And do we think it stands in that same way with the work on CD? IMHO Axl is spot on.
You couldn't have said it better. It's exactly my feelings.

Rose Democracy
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #654 on: March 03, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »

/jarmo

Totally agree. There are some words that are necesary to say to make visible what you want.
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #655 on: March 03, 2009, 05:07:47 PM »

/jarmo

Well if this doesn't kill their hopes.... What will?   Undecided

Stavanger-rock-city!!
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #656 on: March 03, 2009, 05:28:40 PM »

/jarmo

Well if this doesn't kill their hopes.... What will?   Undecided

When the new band keeps playing and playing and playing.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:47:19 PM by GNR4L » Logged

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #657 on: March 03, 2009, 05:50:06 PM »

if you read my words exactly i've used the words "i hope he can move on now....". unlike some posters here trying to command others "to move on" on a daily basis on this board the word hope -in the sense i am using it- includes some positive message like finding a way out of the dark. actually thats what i honestly wish him for feeling better in all his nightmares he seems to have still.
now all the old Guns talking (instead of much more focussing on the shortly released album) by the main man is trying to be excused with some kind of statement he had to do as if it never appears again but fans arent allowed to do so but should "move on".....tricky, huh? you can also just take it for what it is: Axl mostly talking about the old band as part of his version in this interview.
nevertheless whatever the real intentions are to openly talk that bitter about that classic guitar player doesnt mean we arent allowed to say it sounds bitter....which it simply does.
what even bothers me some more that this board rarely does allow the postings of some of Axl's targets....lately Alan Niven and Robert John. they have their versions aswell and all the right to defend themselves.

and your answer on the VR songs is very subjective, exspecially with comparing to cd. when staying that subjective my point would be those 3 songs could have been killer songs IF they would have worked together on them and would be better than most if not all the cd songs, thats my subjective view.
but trying to stay more objective i think many would agree that Axl working and singing on them would improve those songs, probably even a lot.

Re-Union time, baby!!
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #658 on: March 03, 2009, 05:55:59 PM »

if you read my words exactly i've used the words "i hope he can move on now....". unlike some posters here trying to command others "to move on" on a daily basis on this board the word hope -in the sense i am using it- includes some positive message like finding a way out of the dark. actually thats what i honestly wish him for feeling better in all his nightmares he seems to have still.
now all the old Guns talking (instead of much more focussing on the shortly released album) by the main man is trying to be excused with some kind of statement he had to do as if it never appears again but fans arent allowed to do so but should "move on".....tricky, huh? you can also just take it for what it is: Axl mostly talking about the old band as part of his version in this interview.
nevertheless whatever the real intentions are to openly talk that bitter about that classic guitar player doesnt mean we arent allowed to say it sounds bitter....which it simply does.
what even bothers me some more that this board rarely does allow the postings of some of Axl's targets....lately Alan Niven and Robert John. they have their versions aswell and all the right to defend themselves.

and your answer on the VR songs is very subjective, exspecially with comparing to cd. when staying that subjective my point would be those 3 songs could have been killer songs IF they would have worked together on them and would be better than most if not all the cd songs, thats my subjective view.
but trying to stay more objective i think many would agree that Axl working and singing on them would improve those songs, probably even a lot.

The fact is those are VR songs not GnR songs.  It dumb to say well if Axl sang on Slither and Fall to pieces they would be killer, that's all hearsay ! too much wishing going on this topic.  Be happy Axl and the band put out a CD that is ten times better than CB and liberturd put together.  If all you Slash fans disagree with me ! PM me don't waste your time, clustering up this topic about how you wish your top hat hero was still in the band.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #659 on: March 03, 2009, 06:11:51 PM »

my basic talking was about Axl's latest interview(s) which is what this topic should be about. but nice subjective reply and interpretation in the post from "GNR4L" above.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: