Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Winnipeg Concert Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winnipeg Concert Discussion  (Read 73822 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #320 on: January 16, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »

In all fairness, I'm 37 and these days I just tend to "watch" a concert more, I'm not bored, but an older Guns audience (on a week night) might react this way

I agree with this.. ive never been a big mosher or jumper or dancer or what have u. I like to just sit back and take it all in. Its so surreal seeing the bands u love play, that sometimes, its almost like Im in a trance or shock from seeing them.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Gunsguy
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #321 on: January 16, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »

Sometimes you're reminded never to underestimate the possibility of somebody totally misunderstanding a simple thing.

When Axl dedicated Knockin' On Heaven's Door to the people of Haiti, this was interpreted as "the people who hate us".

There's a difference!

/jarmo

been like that since day 1 everyone changes it to how bad it could be, interviews everything is changed to support a bad guy lol,  its always been this way ad it appears things havent changed, one show in and people are convinced it is how it was said, and it wasent    facepalm... confused
helenluna
Rocker

Gimme some more!

« Reply #322 on: January 16, 2010, 04:13:30 PM »

been like that since day 1 everyone changes it to how bad it could be, interviews everything is changed to support a bad guy lol,  its always been this way ad it appears things havent changed, one show in and people are convinced it is how it was said, and it wasent    facepalm... confused

In most of the media people's head this misunderstood version makes a lot of sense, it supports their bad image of Axl, the one that sells. And if someone printed it already, they won't go thru any trouble to correct it, but rather leave it as is. Soon those misunderstandings become everyone's favorite truth. /facepalm

TempletonPeck
« Reply #323 on: January 16, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »

Funny, on another forum a bunch of trolls were trying to say there was no one in the upper deck, and the show was sparsely populated.  Just watched this killer Sorry clip, and they pan across the whole arena, and the upper decks are full, except for the corners.  hihi  Are there any clips with better audio recordings from Wednesday nights show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYJLKEcL5J4&feature=channel

I was at the show, and I'm not a troll, but the upper deck was nearly dead.  The MTS Centre has floor seats, a lower bowl, a middle deck, and an upper deck.  The upper deck only had a few sections open in the middle of the arena, which I didn't catch in that clip.  I think you're looking at the middle deck and thinking it's the upper deck...it looks like the person filming it would have been middle, and I don't think he/she could have seen any upper deck seats from that vantage point if he/she wanted to.
The upper deck had either 3 or 5 sections open, and they were sparsely populated.  This makes sense, since there were still seats available in all three of the other sections.  The sections that were facing the stage (for the middle and lower sections) were maybe 60% - 70% full, but they were pretty far away from the stage so people wanted to sit closer (again, understandable).  The middle deck was 80% - 90% full as it got closer to the stage, but there were gaps of 3-4 empty seats or so.  There weren't rows with nobody sitting there or anything.  The lower bowl (aside from the furthest sections away) was pretty packed.  There may have been an odd rare empty seat, but it was fairly full.  The floor was packed, but not sold out.  I don't know how many tickets remained for the floor.  My guess for attendance (v. capacity for this show, which was an unusual number due to the large stage) is 60% - 70% overall.  That clip really captures the sections that were either sold out or nearly sold out, but doesn't catch the whole picture. 
Keep in mind there was no promotion for the show here in Winnipeg.  It's not that nobody wanted to go see Guns N' Roses (we had a midnight launch for Chinese Democracy), it's that a lot of people didn't know they were coming.  I had people texting me yesterday (after reading the review in the newspaper) saying they would have gone if they knew the show was happening.

That said, this concert was the shit.  It's as simple as that.  Danko rocked and was a good introduction, Baz was awesome (why the hell didn't he play Slave To The Grind?), and GN'R were so amazing that even newspapers and media (who love to knock Axl and/or the band) could not find anything negative to say, other than how late it ran.
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #324 on: January 16, 2010, 05:07:12 PM »

Funny, on another forum a bunch of trolls were trying to say there was no one in the upper deck, and the show was sparsely populated.  Just watched this killer Sorry clip, and they pan across the whole arena, and the upper decks are full, except for the corners.  hihi  Are there any clips with better audio recordings from Wednesday nights show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYJLKEcL5J4&feature=channel

I was at the show, and I'm not a troll, but the upper deck was nearly dead.  The MTS Centre has floor seats, a lower bowl, a middle deck, and an upper deck.  The upper deck only had a few sections open in the middle of the arena, which I didn't catch in that clip.  I think you're looking at the middle deck and thinking it's the upper deck...it looks like the person filming it would have been middle, and I don't think he/she could have seen any upper deck seats from that vantage point if he/she wanted to.
The upper deck had either 3 or 5 sections open, and they were sparsely populated.  This makes sense, since there were still seats available in all three of the other sections.  The sections that were facing the stage (for the middle and lower sections) were maybe 60% - 70% full, but they were pretty far away from the stage so people wanted to sit closer (again, understandable).  The middle deck was 80% - 90% full as it got closer to the stage, but there were gaps of 3-4 empty seats or so.  There weren't rows with nobody sitting there or anything.  The lower bowl (aside from the furthest sections away) was pretty packed.  There may have been an odd rare empty seat, but it was fairly full.  The floor was packed, but not sold out.  I don't know how many tickets remained for the floor.  My guess for attendance (v. capacity for this show, which was an unusual number due to the large stage) is 60% - 70% overall.  That clip really captures the sections that were either sold out or nearly sold out, but doesn't catch the whole picture. 
Keep in mind there was no promotion for the show here in Winnipeg.  It's not that nobody wanted to go see Guns N' Roses (we had a midnight launch for Chinese Democracy), it's that a lot of people didn't know they were coming.  I had people texting me yesterday (after reading the review in the newspaper) saying they would have gone if they knew the show was happening.

That said, this concert was the shit.  It's as simple as that.  Danko rocked and was a good introduction, Baz was awesome (why the hell didn't he play Slave To The Grind?), and GN'R were so amazing that even newspapers and media (who love to knock Axl and/or the band) could not find anything negative to say, other than how late it ran.

I have to say promotion in 2010 compared to 2006 is so much better.  HUGE GNR fans I know had no idea they even did a tour in 2006.  However they knew about the 2010 tour right away.   

For myself I never listen to the radio but the shows got posted on both main SK websites, the media did a small amount of coverage the day the shows were anounced.  Besides that not a ton of stuff.  However I have seen banners on ctv.ca,

The information was out there and if they even just went to ticketmaster it had GNR listed as one of the top acts for weeks before the show.  Promotion was not the problem.  I saw the same amount of promotion for GnR as for any other major band that comes through. 
saz
Opening Act

« Reply #325 on: January 16, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »

who really cares of what other people thought or how they responded. at the end of the day, u gotta think for yourself and how much you enjoyed urself. as long as axl comes back and appreciated the atmosphere thats great. but id like to see a new album b4 he comes back to winnipeg.

this aint directed at anybody rather just a rambling thought.

meanwhile , in the jungle....
Village Gorilla
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #326 on: January 16, 2010, 05:21:32 PM »

From what I gather, end stage at the MTS is 10K for concerts, and GN'R's larger stage reduced that by a few hundred.  So there were probably 9000 to 9500 seats available.  So 7500 is a good # for a rock band in 2010 in North America.  I think tonight's show and the Edmonton show Sunday, are going to be near capacity!  I wish there were more theaters with seating for 2500 to 6000 fans, as that would be perfect for many rock bands like GNR---they are not "new" or all the rage right now, but are still a big band, with a large following.  I personally prefer the shows at smaller venues (not clubs, but theaters), and would love to see GNR do a theater tour in the US--where they could add a second night, if they sold out the 1st night at large theater.  

Can't wait for the updates tonight--this tour has been nothing short of brilliant to date!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:15:49 PM by Village Gorilla » Logged
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #327 on: January 16, 2010, 07:15:49 PM »

Sorry if this has been linked already. I looked back and could not find it.

Better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYJh6IxhZTE

Edit: At about the 2:30 mark Axl looks better than ever kickin' it with more style than ever before. On top of his game!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:24:12 PM by kev money » Logged

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
suntorytime
Rocker

Kiyoshiro Forever

« Reply #328 on: January 16, 2010, 08:18:21 PM »

Bouncing than ever. and truly beautiful tune.
Gunsguy
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #329 on: January 16, 2010, 08:39:51 PM »

Better

Edit: At about the 2:30 mark Axl looks better than ever kickin' it with more style than ever before. On top of his game!

wow thats killer thanks for the vid
Village Gorilla
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #330 on: January 16, 2010, 09:26:37 PM »

Better

I have always thought Frank added something to this live, and he really owns it in that clip!  The way he plays the chorus with more power, than Brain did, really works well live!  Also nice to see GN'R as the headline story at www.rollingstone.com  !!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:41:05 PM by Village Gorilla » Logged
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #331 on: January 16, 2010, 09:35:34 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2b17tI55iw a minute of TIL, including the solo, good quality, screen shot
Madman 666
Opening Act

« Reply #332 on: January 16, 2010, 11:30:06 PM »

Well I just got back to good ol' Iowa from Winnipeg for my mini winter vacation.

Full review coming soon but in short, it fucking ruled and it was very worth the 12 hour drive there and 12 hour drive back. 

Unfortunately the section I was in SUCKED.  I was only 2 sections back from the stage in the lower bowl, row 5, and the five rows before me sat on their ass the ENTIRE time.  Most people behind me were standing (as I was the entire time) but they sucked a bit of the fun out of it.

Fortunately no other section in the lower bowl was that lame.

I also saw Frank and Chris at the mall that morning but it was one of those "hey, was that who I think it was" so I didnt meet them.  They walked right passed me after I took a pic of a restaurants sign that said "Come drink here before and after the Guns N' Roses show"

More to come...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #333 on: January 16, 2010, 11:56:56 PM »

Well I just got back to good ol' Iowa from Winnipeg for my mini winter vacation.

Full review coming soon but in short, it fucking ruled and it was very worth the 12 hour drive there and 12 hour drive back. 

Unfortunately the section I was in SUCKED.  I was only 2 sections back from the stage in the lower bowl, row 5, and the five rows before me sat on their ass the ENTIRE time.  Most people behind me were standing (as I was the entire time) but they sucked a bit of the fun out of it.

Fortunately no other section in the lower bowl was that lame.

I also saw Frank and Chris at the mall that morning but it was one of those "hey, was that who I think it was" so I didnt meet them.  They walked right passed me after I took a pic of a restaurants sign that said "Come drink here before and after the Guns N' Roses show"

More to come...
Nice, glad you had a good time.

I agree with you about people not standing at concerts being a bit lame.  I've had words with people for telling me to sit down in front of them at shows.  That's just how some people roll though I guess.  I don't see the fun in sitting down at a rock concert, but it does happen.  Just gotta roll with the punches I guess.  It doesn't necessarily mean that they're not enjoying the show, they're just doing it their way.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #334 on: January 17, 2010, 07:13:35 PM »

For southamerican fans...

Argentina: 23:00 hs. / Chile: 23:00 hs. / Colombia: 21:00 hs. / Espa?a: 03:00 hs / Mexico: 20:00 hs. /  Peru: 21:00 hs / Uruguay: 00:00 hs. / Venezuela: 22:00 hs.

Espa?a...is that Spain?

Isn't Spain a country in Europe right below France? I thought it was there, but hey, they speak spanish so it has to be close to Mexico...right?  confused

Exicted about the show tonight. Can't wait to see what surprises this leg brings  yes

Sorry...it's just because we have a lot of spanish people in GNRLA.

You're talking like I was stupid or something. Fuck you dude. You have no idea about me. If you want, one of these days I can add you and teach about geography, history...whatever you want. You asshole.

And to the person who said that Brazil was missing in that, it's just because you speak portuguese and GNRLA is in spanish.

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #335 on: January 17, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »

Too bad the person who taped the Better video could not find the zoom button.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
saz
Opening Act

« Reply #336 on: January 17, 2010, 08:58:46 PM »

now that the concert has come and gone. i just want a new album already. i know i know, its a little selfish but i know axl has many songs under his sleeve. maybe i should just go to regina or sakatoon and check them out again.....
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #337 on: January 17, 2010, 09:06:47 PM »

now that the concert has come and gone. i just want a new album already. i know i know, its a little selfish but i know axl has many songs under his sleeve. maybe i should just go to regina or sakatoon and check them out again.....
Do both.  If you are looking for seats then the Stoon show has a much better selection then Regina.  I think floors are still available for both. 
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #338 on: January 17, 2010, 10:56:26 PM »

For southamerican fans...

Argentina: 23:00 hs. / Chile: 23:00 hs. / Colombia: 21:00 hs. / Espa?a: 03:00 hs / Mexico: 20:00 hs. /  Peru: 21:00 hs / Uruguay: 00:00 hs. / Venezuela: 22:00 hs.

Espa?a...is that Spain?

Isn't Spain a country in Europe right below France? I thought it was there, but hey, they speak spanish so it has to be close to Mexico...right?  confused

Exicted about the show tonight. Can't wait to see what surprises this leg brings  yes

Sorry...it's just because we have a lot of spanish people in GNRLA.

You're talking like I was stupid or something. Fuck you dude. You have no idea about me. If you want, one of these days I can add you and teach about geography, history...whatever you want. You asshole.

And to the person who said that Brazil was missing in that, it's just because you speak portuguese and GNRLA is in spanish.

Dude, you can't include Espana with Sudamerica and go on to offer someone geography and history lessons.

I'm sorry, it doesn't work that way.  Those are the rules.  That, and cursing out a staff member.  Even I haven't done that.  confused
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #339 on: January 17, 2010, 10:59:47 PM »

Did you understand what I try to say? There's a lot of spanish people on GNRLA because spanish language. I never said Spain was in Southamerica, I had mistake typing "for southamerican fans" . Period. We include Espa?a in that list because there's a lot of spanish people in GNRLA, and there's a lot of spanish people because we share the language. That's it.

I can't believe you think someone could consider Espa?a as a southamerican country...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:01:32 PM by Ulises » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: