Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 05:56:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227983 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Goodbye Ron (???)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 125 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodbye Ron (???)  (Read 397954 times)
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »

News is GNR in 3D Cinemas, point

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2014, 03:25:05 PM »

Regarding copyrights for past member's contributions, my understanding is that anything recorded with and for Guns N' Roses belongs to Guns N' Roses, so they do not need that member's permission to release that recording.  That musician has to get writing credits and his agreed share of ASCAP royalties, but otherwise, I think the recording belongs to the band. 

So my speculation would be that Ron may have been reluctant to contribute any material that he felt would never see the light of day because by turning material over to the band, he loses the right to use that material for his solo recordings. 

I think Axl alluded to this issue when talking about how the material for Slash's first Snakepit album belonged to GNR, along with the riff that was eventually used by VR in Fall to Pieces. 

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2014, 04:45:19 PM »

Regarding copyrights for past member's contributions, my understanding is that anything recorded with and for Guns N' Roses belongs to Guns N' Roses, so they do not need that member's permission to release that recording.  That musician has to get writing credits and his agreed share of ASCAP royalties, but otherwise, I think the recording belongs to the band. 

So my speculation would be that Ron may have been reluctant to contribute any material that he felt would never see the light of day because by turning material over to the band, he loses the right to use that material for his solo recordings. 

I think Axl alluded to this issue when talking about how the material for Slash's first Snakepit album belonged to GNR, along with the riff that was eventually used by VR in Fall to Pieces. 

Damn, that's a very good point.  That makes more sense.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »

One of the things that has struck me over the years is how often Axl--the purported controller of everything related to GNR--is absolutely out of the loop a good amount of time. I've been at concerts where he said he was only told at 4-5pm where he was playing that night. In the past he was not told about a planned tour. In some 2013 interviews (on TMS for instance) he seemed to suggest that he was the last to know what was going on. My point--or rather--my speculation, is that maybe Axl does not put the Ron issue to rest because he does not know.

I cannot speak to whether Axl as out of the loop is true or justification for what some here call a dysfunctional band.

Well, I can.  You can too, I suspect.  Can't anyone with eyes say they are a dysfunctional band?

I also don't particularly believe Axl when he says that stuff.  Entire tours are planned without his say so?  Be serious.  Even if you wanted to make the argument he stays out of the business side of things...the people working for him know the man.  So assume that was true.  How much of a death wish do you have to have to drop something like that in his lap?

Is any of that plausible?
I think it is entirely plausible that tours are planned without going over specifics with Axl.  They may check with him before hand and say, "Hey, are you o.k. with touring Europe next summer?"  But, I don't believe they have an entire itinerary mapped out and go over with Axl before pulling the trigger and committing to the tour dates.

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »

The story we got about the aborted tour in 2001 was ridiculous.  Come on.

That was major god damn undertaking.  Someone ran it by the man.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2014, 07:11:24 PM »

Ron is the only one in the band who has been screaming on top of his lungs from Day 1 that he wants to get together with whatever line-up of GNR he's in to write, record and release new GNR music.

Never, ever, never did he even jokingly hint to any reluctance to contribute material to GNR.

I'm not familiar with that VR Fall to Pieces story but if that was the case, isn't it proof that GNR has allowed the person that came up with whatever (in this case the riff), to use it outside GNR?  It saw the light of day.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:48:16 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »

The story we got about the aborted tour in 2001 was ridiculous.  Come on.

That was major god damn undertaking.  Someone ran it by the man.
You mean that he knew nothing about it all?

Yeah, that's difficult to believe.  I would've thought that they would've at least run it by him first.  Doug Goldstein or someone else.

I don't remember if the reasoning for Doug and Axl/GN'R parting was ever revealed and can't help but wonder if that situation had something to do with it.

Ali
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2014, 07:58:31 PM »

Is there a source for the riff of "Fall to Pieces"? I'm very curious about this. GypsySoul- I don't want to get into an argument, but in my honest opinion, Robin NEVER fit with GNR. It was VERY evident when he left the band and DJ Ashba came in. Bumblefoot and DJ are perfect for this band. I just hope he stays.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2014, 08:07:54 PM »

Is there a source for the riff of "Fall to Pieces"? I'm very curious about this. GypsySoul- I don't want to get into an argument, but in my honest opinion, Robin NEVER fit with GNR. It was VERY evident when he left the band and DJ Ashba came in. Bumblefoot and DJ are perfect for this band. I just hope he stays.

I apologize if I came off as argumentative.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I was only trying to point out that the CD material that Dj and Ron are performing was not written by them. 

Robin, however, was a major contributor to those songs.  peace

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2014, 10:18:47 PM »

BBFT Is Guitar Of GNR, Point.

beer

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2014, 11:10:33 PM »

I have to agree with GypsySoul on this one.

I think Robin is one of the worst live guitarists I've ever heard.  His live solo spots seemed like a prank they were so bad.

But he's all over the creation of that album.  And he wrote one of the best riffs on the entire album in 'Better'.

overmatik
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2014, 03:39:54 AM »

According to Axl in one of the chats: "Which led to the trial period where Slash played the key bits of Fall to Pieces but once I showed some interest that was over."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2014, 04:21:33 AM »

For people who believe Axl reviews every tweet posted on the band's official Twitter, it's probably hard to believe what Axl says. Or even believes that all my posts are approved by somebody before I post...

For the rest of us, that's not necessarily the case.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »

I can't fathom this thread... Is Ron still in GN'R??
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2014, 08:30:20 AM »

I can't fathom this thread... Is Ron still in GN'R??

I honestly think no one (including Ron, Axl, and management) knows the answer to that question.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2014, 08:39:13 AM »

One scenario would be that Ron has said to the band that he needs time away from the band for the next (??) months. Somewhere along the line of: im going to do other things for the rest of 14. See ya in January.

Or sooner if you think about the South America rumours

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #176 on: August 19, 2014, 08:54:42 AM »

For people who believe Axl reviews every tweet posted on the band's official Twitter, it's probably hard to believe what Axl says. Or even believes that all my posts are approved by somebody before I post...

For the rest of us, that's not necessarily the case.

I thought the comment about Doug Goldstien setting up that Euro 2001 tour on his own was something out of the chats.  Or some other time Axl said it directly.

As for you, even the most jaded among us don't think all your posts are moderated and approved.  Of course, we also know they wouldn't have to be because you pretty much handle that yourself.  Chances of you wandering off the reservation are zero.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:50:06 AM by D-GenerationX » Logged

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2014, 10:03:51 AM »

Ron is the only one in the band who has been screaming on top of his lungs from Day 1 that he wants to get together with whatever line-up of GNR he's in to write, record and release new GNR music.

Never, ever, never did he even jokingly hint to any reluctance to contribute material to GNR.

I'm not familiar with that VR Fall to Pieces story but if that was the case, isn't it proof that GNR has allowed the person that came up with whatever (in this case the riff), to use it outside GNR?  It saw the light of day.

That's true, he never said anything publicly about a reluctance to contribute material.  But I'm not sure indicates anything.  Who would go public with saying 'I'm not doing the work I was hired to do because I don't think my boss will make anything of that work."  Instead, he's been vocal about wanting to get together in a way that perhaps demonstrated to his satisfaction that the band was serious about recording music for commercial release.

As for Slash, you're right about that as far as him using material outside of GNR, but it seemed that Axl was not too happy about that.  So maybe (again, total speculation on my part) Axl has since gone out of his way to avoid that happening by having post-Old GNR contributors sign contracts up front that address ownership of recorded material. 

By the way, I agree with you on Robin.  I thought he was great, both as far as his CD contributions and his live performances.
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2014, 01:39:37 PM »

My opinion:

Ron ended his contract with GNR but will do all his duties till the end of the year, and GNR already started the search for a new guy.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »

My opinion:

Ron ended his contract with GNR but will do all his duties till the end of the year, and GNR already started the search for a new guy.

Simply, other guitar... what's the problem ?

smoking

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 125 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: