Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 12:22:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227992 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dizzy Reed Reveals Details Of New GNR Album (from Triple M Sydney)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dizzy Reed Reveals Details Of New GNR Album (from Triple M Sydney)  (Read 76732 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2014, 01:06:16 PM »

Mortismuphy, you may want to brush up on your rock history some......for example this little band from England....
 Stones pulled songs from 1972 to put on an album released in 1981...the album did pretty well and no one complained then.

Tattoo You is an album primarily composed of outtakes from previous recording sessions, some dating back a decade, with new vocals and overdubs. Along with two new songs, the Rolling Stones put together this collection to have a new album to promote for their worldwide American Tour 1981/European Tour 1982 beginning that September. Guitarist Keith Richards commented in 1993:

"The thing with Tattoo You wasn't that we'd stopped writing new stuff, it was a question of time. We'd agreed we were going to go out on the road and we wanted to tour behind a record. There was no time to make a whole new album and make the start of the tour."[1]

Recording[edit]The album's associate producer, Chris Kimsey, who'd been associated with The Stones dating back to Sticky Fingers (1971) said Tattoo You "...came about because Mick [Jagger] and Keith were going through a period of not getting on. There was a need to have an album out, and I told everyone I could make an album from what I knew was still there."[1] He began sifting through the band's vaults: "I spent three months going through like the last four, five albums finding stuff that had been either forgotten about or at the time rejected. And then I presented it to the band and I said, 'Hey, look guys, you've got all this great stuff sitting in the can and it's great material, do something with it."[1]

Many of the songs consisted at this point of instrumental backing tracks for which vocals had not been recorded. Jagger said in a 1995 interview, "It wasn't all outtakes; some of it was old songs... I had to write lyrics and melodies. A lot of them didn't have anything, which is why they weren't used at the time ? because they weren't complete. They were just bits, or they were from early takes".[2] Despite the eclectic nature of the album, the Rolling Stones were able to divide Tattoo You into two distinct halves: a rock and roll side backed with one focusing on ballads.

Hahaha

Yeah, that's their Frankenstein album.  Ever see the credits on all those songs?  They go on forever because they are from all sort of different years.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2014, 01:06:56 PM »

But if you could ask 1999 Axl if this was the plan for the next 15 years, impossible to believe this was the answer he'd give you.

It all depends what you assume his answer was going to be.
I'm assuming your answer relates to the number of records released?

Again, the straw man rears his head.

Straw this, straw that. I quoted you.

The mess I referred to is not musically as such - as you said, I have not heard CD2.

Let me explain this to you: If you have the opinion that something is a mess, or isn't to your liking, you're in the right frame of mind to give whatever it is a fair open minded chance?

Anonymous Internet person before album's release:
The process the album was made under is a mess. I prefer songs about right now, not songs written about people who were around years ago and then recorded by people who aren't in the band anymore.

Anonymous Internet person on album's release:
The process the album was made under is a mess. I prefer songs about right now, not songs written about people who were around years ago and then recorded by people who aren't in the band anymore.

Anonymous Internet person's album review: The process the album was made under is a mess. I prefer songs about right now, not songs written about people who were around years ago and then recorded by people who aren't in the band anymore. I love this album and the tracks.

This is what we're expecting! You'll forget your "issues". You'll forget that you didn't get Chinese in 2002. Right?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:09:57 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »

Is the outcome really that bad? To you CD is "one album" but to me CD is "the album". It was worth the wait. Sometimes things don't turn out the way we planned them to but that doesn't necessarily mean the end results add up to a failure.

My dad is the same age as Axl. The fact that Axl is that old and still has enough ambition to undertake a project like CD (which sold four million copies), a follow up project, and countless tours is an absolute mystery to me. He's doing great.

Redneck.. I appreciate your passion for Chinese Democracy ... I really do... but you just have to know you are fighting a lonely uphill battle with posts like this...You are certainly entitled to ur opinion... that's why they make so many different flavors of ice cream!

But you have to know for a lot of us CD isn't the "one album", and the process that lead to it has been a very long and sometimes dumbfounding experience.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2014, 01:09:58 PM »

I know, Neil Young has returned to old material also. The only difference being, five albums separate Tattoo You from 1972! The Stones in the interim did not just pile up all their songs on a shelf; they were releasing albums on a year-by-year basis.

Very true.

'Tattoo You' was something Mick threw together so they could tour.

And really, other than the 3 singles, what's remembered from that album? Not too much.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2014, 01:11:18 PM »

Is the outcome really that bad? To you CD is "one album" but to me CD is "the album". It was worth the wait. Sometimes things don't turn out the way we planned them to but that doesn't necessarily mean the end results add up to a failure.

My dad is the same age as Axl. The fact that Axl is that old and still has enough ambition to undertake a project like CD (which sold four million copies), a follow up project, and countless tours is an absolute mystery to me. He's doing great.
I have to agree.  Having a plan or intention and not having it work out the way you hoped is not failing.  It's life.

Ali
mortismurphy
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2014, 01:11:38 PM »

But if you could ask 1999 Axl if this was the plan for the next 15 years, impossible to believe this was the answer he'd give you.

It all depends what you assume his answer was going to be.
I'm assuming your answer relates to the number of records released?

Again, the straw man rears his head.

Straw this, straw that. I quoted you.

The mess I referred to is not musically as such - as you said, I have not heard CD2.

Let me explain this to you: If you have the opinion that something is a mess, or isn't to your liking, you're in the right frame of mind to give whatever it is a fair open minded chance?

Anonymous Internet person before album's release:

Anonymous Internet person on album's release:

Anonymous Internet person's album review: The process the album was made under is a mess. I prefer songs about right now, not songs written about people who were around years ago and then recorded by people who aren't in the band anymore. I love this album and the tracks.

This is what we're expecting! You'll forget your "issues". You'll forget that you didn't get Chinese in 2002. Right?

/jarmo

How can anyone not regard the process a ''mess'' when they have been ''sorting through the tracks'' for three years - New GN'R's words, not mine?
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »

Ha.. one would think after all these years Axl would know exactly which 12 songs or whatever he wants right?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2014, 01:15:32 PM »

Redneck.. I appreciate your passion for Chinese Democracy ... I really do... but you just have to know you are fighting a lonely uphill battle with posts like this...You are certainly entitled to ur opinion... that's why they make so many different flavors of ice cream!

But you have to know for a lot of us CD isn't the "one album", and the process that lead to it has been a very long and sometimes dumbfounding experience.

You can't just throw context completely out the window.

Jarmo tells me there are nobody indie bands that would love to be where GNR is 2014.  And now redneckrudy with the example of Axl and his Dad.

But...without trying to be flippant, are we really comparing a band on the level of a Guns N' Roses to indie bands and our dads?

In the context of a big time band, one of the biggest of their time, its absolutely impossible to call the past 15 years a screaming success.  I'll agree it hasn't been a total fiasco.  But its an ultimate case of missed opportunity and wasted time.

If your barometer for success is simply not falling completely on your face or dropping off the face of the earth, well, that's one low bar, no?  Espeically when you started with a leg up on the world.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2014, 01:16:33 PM »

Ha.. one would think after all these years Axl would know exactly which 12 songs or whatever he wants right?

You'd have to think so.

Maybe you are wavering on 4 songs for the last 2 spots, but I think you know the backbone of what you want released.

This apparently takes years.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2014, 01:17:02 PM »

I have to agree.  Having a plan or intention and not having it work out the way you hoped is not failing.  It's life.

Couldn't have said it better.

How can anyone not regard the process a ''mess'' when they have been ''sorting through the tracks'' for three years - New GN'R's words, not mine?

Well Dgen-MurphyX.
You keep skipping parts of my posts. Too many words to read?  Smiley

Where did they say this process has been on going daily for three years?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2014, 01:19:27 PM »

I'd start the clock at his interview.  That gives him over half a year, and then however long into next.

People have written, recorded and released songs in that time frame.  We are talking picking from a list of stuff that's done.

If you are serious about it, you get that done.  If you aren't, you don't.

mortismurphy
« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »

Couldn't have said it better.

Well Dgen-MurphyX.
You keep skipping parts of my posts. Too many words to read?  Smiley

/jarmo

The reason I am skipping parts of your post is because you are putting words into my mouth that I did not write. I am not wasting my time defending statements I did not make.

These statements by Fortus etc have been appearing for approx three years. You should know as you have posted many of them. They all follow the, ''yeh, we are just sorting out the recordings, what to put on there (the album)'', line. This very thread was instigated by such a statement, by Dizzy.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2014, 01:25:59 PM »

If your barometer for success is simply not falling completely on your face or dropping off the face of the earth, well, that's one low bar, no?  Espeically when you started with a leg up on the world.

Depends what you're fighting against.
If you're trying to keep going when everybody in the band quit and wanted it to end, then being active in 2014 isn't so fucking bad.

The reason I am skipping parts of your post is because you are putting words into my mouth that I did not write. I am not wasting my time defending statements I did not make.

I quoted you and told you why I personally believe that the issues you brought up will make you one lousy candidate for a person who will enjoy the next album with an open mind.

Did you post anything to make me believe otherwise? No.
If you can post things based on assumptions, so can I.

These statements by Fortus etc have been appearing for approx three years. You should know as you have posted many of them. They all follow the, ''yeh, we are just sorting out the records, what to put on there (the album)'', line. This very thread was instigated by such a statement, by Dizzy.

Yes.
They've made comments like that. Doesn't mean it was happening at that exact moment. Axl made his comment earlier this year. For reference.

/jarmo

mortismurphy
« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »

Jarmo, I believe Axl's creative process has been a mess since new gnr began. The onus is on you to prove me wrong. Just what bit of evidence are we using,

- Going through the recordings for the best part of three years by certain unspecified 'people'

- Ashba's 10 or so demos that he showed to Axl (now we seem to be back to, CD2 - does anyone know if this will be new songs or cd leftovers?)

- Axl's trilogy statements (didn't happen), 18 songs and a bonus set of songs (didn't happen), second industrial record (didn't happen)

- losing band members who were sick of the whole process and voiced their concerns publicly (Buckethead. Possibly BF - but again, nobody knows on that latter score?)

- replacing tracks by said bandmembers with overdubs by new band members.

If you were going to come up with a game plan on how, not, to record an album, this would probably be it. I then still stand by comment that the whole thing is a mess.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »

You keep going around in circles trying to prove some point.
Good for you.

Still, didn't address anything I said.....

/jarmo

mortismurphy
« Reply #195 on: November 20, 2014, 01:40:42 PM »

You keep going around in circles trying to prove some point.
Good for you.

Still, didn't address anything I said.....

/jarmo

The judging with an open mind' thing? Whenever I buy a new album, I will stick it in my cd player and judge it as I would, any album.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »

The judging an open mind' thing. Whenever I buy a new album, I will stick it in my cd player and judge it as I would, any album.

And how much research do you do on the subject before listening?

In this case, you've done a lot and already labeled it a mess.

Are you gonna get the AC/DC album? Does the mess with the drummer's legal issues or the sad fact that one member is gone affect your opinion on the album? Would you bring up these issues when talking about the album with somebody? Maybe you've already made up your mind that it's not a real AC/DC album...

There's a point in this. Don't worry.
Which is, you can always attach a lot of baggage to anything in life. Even something like a rock album. Often it will affect your opinion in one way or another. Will you admit it? Most wouldn't.

So your comments remind me of somebody going to a nice restaurant thinking "This can't be good, it's not McDonald's". They can then either go "I liked it, it was amazing. But it wasn't McDonald's" or "It sucked! I prefer my favorite, McDonalds".... Wink That notion that it's not their favorite restaurant plays a role...

/jarmo

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:48:44 PM by jarmo » Logged

mortismurphy
« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2014, 01:46:44 PM »

The judging an open mind' thing. Whenever I buy a new album, I will stick it in my cd player and judge it as I would, any album.

And how much research do you do on the subject before listening?

In this case, you've done a lot and already labeled it a mess.

Are you gonna get the AC/DC album? Does the mess with the drummer's legal issues or the sad fact that one member is gone affect your opinion on the album? Would you bring up these issues when talking about the album with somebody?

/jarmo

Correction, I labelled the process a 'mess.' Jarmo, an antonym for 'mess' would be, 'order'. Can you seriously describe the making of Chinese Democracy 1 & 2, well ordered?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »

Correction, I labelled the process a 'mess.' Jarmo, an antonym for 'mess' would be, 'order'. Can you seriously describe the making of Chinese Democracy 1 & 2, well ordered?

We all know the making and release of the album wasn't easy. But it came out. That's good isn't it?
Yet when somebody points this out, it's met with ridicule and comments about low bars.

We didn't have to suffer through the process itself. Well, some of you probably did suffer judging by some of the posts...
Anyway, stop looking at yourself for once and imagine how it must've been for Axl.

I'm expecting a reply about how Axl chose to make everything this way....

Anyway, you just keep bringing up from GN'R's past like we didn't know anything. So am I wrong in assuming these things bother you in some way? Or what's the reason for bringing these things up over and over again?

Also, nothing you said made me reconsider what I assume about you. Smiley

/jarmo

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:59:48 PM by jarmo » Logged

mortismurphy
« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2014, 02:01:29 PM »

We all know the making and release of the album wasn't easy. But it came out. That's good isn't it?
Yet when somebody points this out, it's met with ridicule and comments about low bars.

We didn't have to suffer through the process itself. Well, some of you probably did suffer judging by some of the posts...
Anyway, stop looking at yourself for once and imagine how it must've been for Axl.

I'm expecting a reply about how Axl chose to make everything this way....

Anyway, you just keep bringing up from GN'R's past like we didn't know anything. So am I wrong in assuming these things bother you in some way? Or what's the reason for bringing these things up over and over again?

/jarmo

I think most of the problem seems to rest with Axl.  I do not in other words believe all the record company 'Out Ta Get Me' stuff.  There are too many comments, from people like Moby, Robin Finck even, about hundreds of vocal-less DATS lying around - or vain glorious attempts to re-record Appetite for Destruction. He seems to work at an impossibly slow and illogical pace.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: