Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 02:38:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup  (Read 117101 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2015, 10:39:19 AM »

Personally I think any fan who takes a side between these two who have never met either one of them or know them on any kind of level... just makes them self look silly.

Besides... Axl proved himself the stronger right? So who cares.

IMO. If they both had acted half as mature as Duff has over the past 15 years... Then they'd probably be on friendly terms by now.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2015, 10:43:30 AM »

So, everytime they come to criticize Axl, in defense of Slash, because of the ?cancer? comment, they can?t really be taken serious ? because they aren?t impartial at all. They are in the middle of the feud. And everytime they do that, they prove Axl was absolutely right about what he said ? the less we heard of them , the better.

I think you are perhaps overthinking it.

People took to that comment because it was so over the top.  OK, so you had a falling out with a fellow band member.  Hey, shit happens.

So he's "a cancer best removed"?  You don't think people will find that a bit much?

Same thing with saying that one of them will be dead in a box before they talk again.  People are going to think that's a bit much.

And as we've all said many times, this hyperbole is further compounded by the fact that Axl never comes out and says what the problems between them are.  Maybe once people heard it, they'd understand it a bit better.  But we can't force him to tell us.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »

So, everytime they come to criticize Axl, in defense of Slash, because of the ?cancer? comment, they can?t really be taken serious ? because they aren?t impartial at all. They are in the middle of the feud. And everytime they do that, they prove Axl was absolutely right about what he said ? the less we heard of them , the better.

I think you are perhaps overthinking it.

People took to that comment because it was so over the top.  OK, so you had a falling out with a fellow band member.  Hey, shit happens.

So he's "a cancer best removed"?  You don't think people will find that a bit much?

Same thing with saying that one of them will be dead in a box before they talk again.  People are going to think that's a bit much.

And as we've all said many times, this hyperbole is further compounded by the fact that Axl never comes out and says what the problems between them are.  Maybe once people heard it, they'd understand it a bit better.  But we can't force him to tell us.

You really don't have a clear grasp about all of his grievances yet? I actually strongly disagree and think hes made it clear. He's never come out and said on this day Slash lied about exactly this, or Slash called me a bad name on this day or anything like that, but I think it's clear.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2015, 10:59:29 AM »

Personally I think any fan who takes a side between these two who have never met either one of them or know them on any kind of level... just makes them self look silly. 

I totally agree.

I just shake my head at the Axl superfans that take up all his causes as their own as some sort of misguided mission of loyalty.  But, I also shake my head at the Slash lovers who will rip Axl to shreds because Axl had a falling out with Slash.

It's not your fight.

That being said, you can still talk about how both men have dealt with this publically, and how that all looks.  That's a legit topic.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2015, 11:00:42 AM »

You really don't have a clear grasp about all of his grievances yet? I actually strongly disagree and think hes made it clear. He's never come out and said on this day Slash lied about exactly this, or Slash called me a bad name on this day or anything like that, but I think it's clear.

When I ask, I usually get vague fan theories.  Nothing concrete.

And even they aren't consistent.  What an Axl loyalist might see as a grave offense is something a Slash backer might roll their eyes at.  And neither side will ever really concede their guy's faults.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:02:19 AM by D-GenerationX » Logged

GUNNER
Rocker

son of a gun

« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »

He didn't say "he is", that's a statement ... he said "in a nutshell, I consider" ... it's quite different, but, as I also said in my first post I'm not saying it's a good or a bad thing to say ...

You don't think people will find that a bit much?

Yes, I understand that ...  in the heat of the moment, with the press making highlights like that, people could find it too much. But, after 6 years, people repeating this, over and over again, it's also too much ... even Slash didn't cared that much ... so, the only explanation is, Slash's fans got really pissed with that, so they use it like a weapon everytime they can.

And as we've all said many times, this hyperbole is further compounded by the fact that Axl never comes out and says what the problems between them are.  Maybe once people heard it, they'd understand it a bit better.  But we can't force him to tell us.

Somehow, I can agree with you on this ... maybe Axl shouldn't had talk "in a nutshell" maybe he should had said everything he was thinking about ...

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »

The media typically focuses on sensationalism and negativity, some more than others, it is what gets them views.

Controversy is good for business.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »

And as we've all said many times, this hyperbole is further compounded by the fact that Axl never comes out and says what the problems between them are.  Maybe once people heard it, they'd understand it a bit better.  But we can't force him to tell us.

Somehow, I can agree with you on this ... maybe Axl shouldn't had talk "in a nutshell" maybe he should had said everything he was thinking about ...

Well, he doesn't have to say anything he doesn't want to.  He doesn't want to clarify, he doesn't owe anyone a clarification.

However, in my opinion, he's not doing a guy like you any favors.  Someone who passionately wants to defend him against some of the harsher criticism, but he's not giving you much to work with.  I often remark how the man himself never seems as invested as some of his fans.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2015, 11:12:12 AM »

The media typically focuses on sensationalism and negativity, some more than others, it is what gets them views.

True.

But its also an indirect outcome of only talking every blue moon.  When you do that, whatever you say when you do decide to speak gets repeated over and over again because there is nothing new to work with.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2015, 11:18:04 AM »

Good points GUNNER.

Like you said just another example of people exaggerating and twisting what was actually said.
Was it too much? Well some people need to be told something using strong language otherwise they won't get it.

It's like that scene from Dumb & Dumber, "So you're telling me there's a chance?".... Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2015, 11:50:35 AM »

True.

But its also an indirect outcome of only talking every blue moon.  When you do that, whatever you say when you do decide to speak gets repeated over and over again because there is nothing new to work with.

The cancer line would have gotten attention no matter who what where why how when. It's a harsh term whether Slash deserved to be described as a cancer or not.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2015, 12:15:11 PM »

The cancer line would have gotten attention no matter who what where why how when. It's a harsh term whether Slash deserved to be described as a cancer or not.

In that case, I agree.  And I think its unrealistic to not expect people to react how they did.

It's not "the media" out to get poor Axl.  Its people saying "dude, what the fuck...".

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2015, 12:26:04 PM »

Yesss,, BlahBlahBlah + BlahBlahBla = More BlahBlagBlahEtc !!!

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2015, 12:26:16 PM »

Duff is really making the rounds for his book, which I shouldn't have pre ordered, I should have just gone to the book store to get it, now I have to wait a week.

But he has said a few times in regards to Axl, that just talking some things out were a great thing for him and since Duff was always in lock step with Slash I'm sure Axl could do the same with him if he wanted to.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2015, 02:28:05 PM »

I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided - and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better. ?

You can analyze, over-rationalize, and overthink the wording of this comment all you want.  As others have suggested, by merely placing Slash's name in the same sentence as the word "cancer", people are going to react strongly to it, because "cancer" is a strong, pejorative word when used in that sense regardless of the precise wording.

It's not really much different than Axl writing the word "niggers" in "One in a Million" despite the fact that he may have meant something else.  Certain words are provocative and inciting, regardless of the exact wording of the sentence where they are used.

Some people also say that Axl was being mean when he said that, because he knew Slash?s mother were dying from cancer. This is just insane. I think Slash?s mother was already dead when this happened ? so was Axl?s mother.

Slash's mother was dying (not dead) at the time Axl said this.  Axl's comments were published in Spring 2009 and Slash's mother died in June 2009.

And really -- dying, dead -- it doesn't matter.  It was still an incredibly insensitive term to use when Slash was enduring that.  Your best defense for Axl (and I've heard others say this) was that he possibly wasn't aware of Ola Hudson's illness when he said that.

Another interesting thing is to see that Slash himself didn't take it to the heart at the time, when he even told "that's sorta funny", and then never talked about it again

Actually, Slash responded a couple different ways to the "cancer" comment.  One of them was the "kinda funny" remark.  But here was the other one....

SOURCE: http://chinese-democracy.blogspot.com/2010/04/slash-responds-to-axl-rose-calling-him.html

Furthermore the guitarist, who lost his mother to lung cancer last June, reveals that though he agrees with the sentiment behind some of Rose's comments, the singer's choice of wording was tough to take.

"The cancer thing, I'll go with him on that, that fits into his description of things.  I wouldn't use the word 'cancer' but I haven't gone anywhere and I don't seem to be going anywhere so that's justified," Slash says, before pausing to reflect. "Actually, I lost my mom to cancer so that was a little bit of hard rhetoric at that particular time, but it's typical Axl stuff ... I know how he comes off and how he really is, so I give him credit where hopefully it's due."

For the record, the rest of these comments ties into the other response Slash made, about how Axl considers him a cancer since he is still out there, still touring, and doing well.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:51:50 PM by Bridge » Logged
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2015, 02:32:51 PM »

Duff is asked about Slash's "never say never" remark. 

94.5 KATS: Normally this wouldn't be on my radar, but since Slash came out last Thursday or Friday and was asked about a GN'R reunion...is that something that you would ever entertain?

Duff McKagan: Now you hear what you just said? He came out...because he was asked. Slash didn't come out, he was asked by somebody right? And I think he did a real nice job, it's a tough question to answer, you know that? It's like asking someone what's your deal? It's not like oh, what's my deal I don't know. So he did a nice job. You know, that band created such great music.

We could play again. Of course. I think we've all thought that over the years.

@4:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmgHB9tmp0g

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
GUNNER
Rocker

son of a gun

« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2015, 05:12:53 PM »

I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided - and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better. ?

You can analyze, over-rationalize, and overthink the wording of this comment all you want.  As others have suggested, by merely placing Slash's name in the same sentence as the word "cancer", people are going to react strongly to it, because "cancer" is a strong, pejorative word when used in that sense regardless of the precise wording.

It's not really much different than Axl writing the word "niggers" in "One in a Million" despite the fact that he may have meant something else.  Certain words are provocative and inciting, regardless of the exact wording of the sentence where they are used.

Some people also say that Axl was being mean when he said that, because he knew Slash?s mother were dying from cancer. This is just insane. I think Slash?s mother was already dead when this happened ? so was Axl?s mother.

Slash's mother was dying (not dead) at the time Axl said this.  Axl's comments were published in Spring 2009 and Slash's mother died in June 2009.

And really -- dying, dead -- it doesn't matter.  It was still an incredibly insensitive term to use when Slash was enduring that.  Your best defense for Axl (and I've heard others say this) was that he possibly wasn't aware of Ola Hudson's illness when he said that.

Another interesting thing is to see that Slash himself didn't take it to the heart at the time, when he even told "that's sorta funny", and then never talked about it again

Actually, Slash responded a couple different ways to the "cancer" comment.  One of them was the "kinda funny" remark.  But here was the other one....

SOURCE: http://chinese-democracy.blogspot.com/2010/04/slash-responds-to-axl-rose-calling-him.html

Furthermore the guitarist, who lost his mother to lung cancer last June, reveals that though he agrees with the sentiment behind some of Rose's comments, the singer's choice of wording was tough to take.

"The cancer thing, I'll go with him on that, that fits into his description of things.  I wouldn't use the word 'cancer' but I haven't gone anywhere and I don't seem to be going anywhere so that's justified," Slash says, before pausing to reflect. "Actually, I lost my mom to cancer so that was a little bit of hard rhetoric at that particular time, but it's typical Axl stuff ... I know how he comes off and how he really is, so I give him credit where hopefully it's due."

For the record, the rest of these comments ties into the other response Slash made, about how Axl considers him a cancer since he is still out there, still touring, and doing well.

Oh ... I thought Slash's mother was already dead when Axl said that ... then, maybe you're right .... maybe he wasn't aware of Ola Hudson's illness when he said that ... or, maybe he was, I don't know ... nobody knows ... so it's kind of absurd to accuse him as if he was aware of that situation.

Nothing in his interview says he was aware of that. Besides didn't Axl's mother also died form cancer in 2002? I read somewhere she did.

Obviously he used the word "cancer" as a common term ... only people who see the Devil in Axl can asure he was being mean regarding Slash's mother, or whishing Slash was dead.

Again, my question was pretty simple ... why does people still use that against Axl everytime they can, after 6 years? Are you going to tell me that whoever use that as a weapon, constantly, have Ola Hudson in mind? Let's not be hypocrite ... people still use this because they are pissed because Axl told them to shut up. So, they can't be taken serious everytime they talk about the cancer, over and over again ... they are in the middle of this feud ... they aren't impartial ... they are not thinking about Slash nor Ola.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2015, 05:36:55 PM »

I don't seriously think the comment had anything to do with Slash's mother.

I do absolutely believe it was an incredibly poor choice of words and its a totally dishonest stance to say you don't get the fallout over them.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2015, 05:42:59 PM »

Again, my question was pretty simple ... why does people still use that against Axl everytime they can, after 6 years? Are you going to tell me that whoever use that as a weapon, constantly, have Ola Hudson in mind? Let's not be hypocrite ... people still use this because they are pissed because Axl told them to shut up. So, they can't be taken serious everytime they talk about the cancer, over and over again ... they are in the middle of this feud ... they aren't impartial ... they are not thinking about Slash nor Ola.

With all due respect, what are you?

You sound Axl's like defense attorney, agent, and manager all rolled into one here.  I think you are a hard sell as someone just calling it down the middle.

GUNNER
Rocker

son of a gun

« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2015, 06:11:53 PM »

I'm just a GN'R fan, from all the eras, giving his opinion.

I like Slash as a guitar player, but I don't consider myself his personal supporter, so I guess Axl wasn't talking about me when he said ?(?) the less anyone heard of (?) his supporters, the better? ... this puts me out of the feud, so I can give my impartial opinion.

All I said it's a result of my own reflection ... I can be totally wrong, but it's my opinion ... I never heard Axl's opinion about this, so there's no chance of me being his defense lawyer, because I don't even know what he thinks about it.

Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: