Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 03:59:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup  (Read 117129 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #240 on: May 14, 2015, 05:10:30 PM »

Another interview with Duff.  He says his initial reaction to replacing Tommy on tour was "oh hell no", then he thought about it.  On listening to Guns N' Roses songs in preparation for the shows he says "holy crap we were a great band."

He's also asked about Slash's comment.

In the last third of the interview: http://www.q1043.com/media/podcast-rock-n-roll-morning-show-soundfiles/duff-mckagan-interview-26039217/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #241 on: May 14, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »

Duff is asked about the possibility of a Guns N' Roses reunion in this interview @5:20:

http://media.waaf.com/a/105087836/duff-mckagan-5-13-15.htm

Theres only so many times he can answer the question and avoid saying well Axl won't play with Slash ha

Ha!  I thought the same thing.  The answer, IMO, is simple:  he doesn't want to.  Unfortunately, that answer isn't sexy enough or good enough for most people.  It's easy to think, what a waste, especially considering that their collective talent is so good, it should outweigh any differences they have.  But old feelings die hard.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2015, 08:18:10 PM »

IF the reunion were to happen, Guns would easily sell out a stadium tour -especially in the NYC area.... I always thought that Tommy was similar to Duff in terms of style and personality.
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #243 on: May 14, 2015, 11:09:53 PM »

I liked the interview where Duff said he was listening to "November Rain" with his daughter and actually at the point of enjoying the songs. A lot of artists have a hard time listening to their own music unless they're working on a reissue project.

Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2015, 11:59:20 AM »

You know what..let me give my opinion on something which is probably going to be unpopular. I've always supported all of the lineups in this band. Maybe because at the end of the day I am a big Axl Rose fan. But i've come to the conclusion that the only way to move forward is a reunion of some sort.

Those guys created such an incredible body of work in such a short period of time. As much as I used to believe that the reason they are still a major draw is because of the kickass lineup that he currently has, I know in my heart that its not the case.

Most people are there just to see Axl Rose and to hear the hits. The fact that theyve remained a major draw speaks to the impact that the originals had on music in general. I mean I dont know of any other band that replaced every member except the singer and managed to remain relevant. Speaks volumes.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2015, 12:33:26 PM »

You know what..let me give my opinion on something which is probably going to be unpopular. I've always supported all of the lineups in this band. Maybe because at the end of the day I am a big Axl Rose fan. But i've come to the conclusion that the only way to move forward is a reunion of some sort.

Those guys created such an incredible body of work in such a short period of time. As much as I used to believe that the reason they are still a major draw is because of the kickass lineup that he currently has, I know in my heart that its not the case.

Most people are there just to see Axl Rose and to hear the hits. The fact that theyve remained a major draw speaks to the impact that the originals had on music in general. I mean I dont know of any other band that replaced every member except the singer and managed to remain relevant. Speaks volumes.

A lot of truth here.

Relaunching the band with a totally new line-up was going to be a daunting task no matter what.  Maybe there was no way it would have worked.  But the half ass way Axl did it insured that it had no shot of success.

But Axl is weird in that he doesn't care.  Most guys that achieve his levels of fame and eventually found themselves playing in clubs, some of which don't even sell out...they would give their left nut for another crack at the big time.  But with Axl, he has that option right in front of him and simply does not care.

I often roll my eyes at the "there is only one Axl Rose" routine.  It's too often used as a crutch to explain away dumb or irresponsible behavior and try and couch it as something noble or downright commendable.

But it applies here.  Can't think of literally one other guy that achieved Axl's level of fame and has such little regard for pissing it all away.  And to have such an easy way to get it back in a heartbeat, and pass.

Pretty unheard of.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »

The false notion that Axl doesn't care is once again repeated by those who think they have an idea.

What doesn't he care about? He gives his all in front of the audience at every show, playing way longer than the average concert. When he has something to say, he says it.
What he doesn't seem to care about is the self promoting in order to get headlines and gain attention. He doesn't go out of his way to find the paparazzi or talk to TMZ.

But the "he doesn't care" phrase. Once again, exaggerated generalization because he doesn't do what you think he should.

He has more integrity compared to many other in the business, and unfortunately some fans can't appreciate it, but instead see it as  something negative and him "not caring".
As seen above, the same old routine is repeated. It's not good enough that Axl is Axl for them. He shouldn't be Axl, he should be something else that fits their own person ideas of Axl. At the end of the day, who are they to tell him how to live his life? Wink

/jarmo

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:48:14 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2015, 12:45:52 PM »

A lot of truth here.

Relaunching the band with a totally new line-up was going to be a daunting task no matter what.  Maybe there was no way it would have worked.  But the half ass way Axl did it insured that it had no shot of success.

But Axl is weird in that he doesn't care.  Most guys that achieve his levels of fame and eventually found themselves playing in clubs, some of which don't even sell out...they would give their left nut for another crack at the big time.  But with Axl, he has that option right in front of him and simply does not care.

I often roll my eyes at the "there is only one Axl Rose" routine.  It's too often used as a crutch to explain away dumb or irresponsible behavior and try and couch it as something noble or downright commendable.

But it applies here.  Can't think of literally one other guy that achieved Axl's level of fame and has such little regard for pissing it all away.  And to have such an easy way to get it back in a heartbeat, and pass.

Pretty unheard of.

I actually admire that part of him. He's stuck to his "Guns" no matter what. The easy thing to do would be to sell out. The only reason to do a reunion would be to make new music.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #248 on: May 15, 2015, 12:49:46 PM »

I actually admire that part of him. He's stuck to his "Guns" no matter what. The easy thing to do would be to sell out. The only reason to do a reunion would be to make new music.

But if he reunited the band tomorrow, you'd be right onboard, right?

That's a quibble I have always had for this respect for Axl the dedicated fighter for truth, justice, and not giving in.  Because if you truly hold that in such high regard, how could you embrace a reunion?

I think the reality is that all of us are such Axl fans, we are going to support him no matter what.  Whether that be a totally improbably reunion tour, or an album that comes out in 2022 featuring a cast of thousands.  I really can't see any of us still with the guy not supporting him either way.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #249 on: May 15, 2015, 12:52:06 PM »

But if he reunited the band tomorrow, you'd be right onboard, right?

That's a quibble I have always had for this respect for Axl the dedicated fighter for truth, justice, and not giving in.  Because if you truly hold that in such high regard, how could you embrace a reunion?

I think the reality is that all of us are such Axl fans, we are going to support him no matter what.  Whether that be a totally improbably reunion tour, or an album that comes out in 2022 featuring a cast of thousands.  I really can't see any of us still with the guy not supporting him either way.

I would be on board. But it probably means that he's doing it for the right reasons. He doesnt strike me as the cash grab type. If he was he wouldve reunited with the old lineup years ago.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »

I would be on board. But it probably means that he's doing it for the right reasons. He doesnt strike me as the cash grab type. If he was he wouldve reunited with the old lineup years ago.

The second he does a reunion, the new band is dead.  Its why he didn't go to the RNR HOF. 

You can't get up there with the originals and crank out 'Paradise City' and then say "well, that was fun, but now I'm going back on tour with DJ Ashba."  No one would comprehend or accept that.  Once you open that door even a crack, the fans will kick it right in.

A lot of fans go see the current band because its all they can get.  As you said, people still want to see Axl and still want to hear him sing GNR songs.  That will never change.  And if its with DJ Ashba and Ron Thal...well, it will just have to do.

I don't ever see a reunion anyway.  But the first thing that needs to happen...yes, even more important than patching it up with Slash, would be Axl accepting that "nuGNR" is over. 

Because you can't do both.

Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #251 on: May 15, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »

The second he does a reunion, the new band is dead.  Its why he didn't go to the RNR HOF. 

You can't get up there with the originals and crank out 'Paradise City' and then say "well, that was fun, but now I'm going back on tour with DJ Ashba."  No one would comprehend or accept that.  Once you open that door even a crack, the fans will kick it right in.

A lot of fans go see the current band because its all they can get.  As you said, people still want to see Axl and still want to hear him sing GNR songs.  That will never change.  And if its with DJ Ashba and Ron Thal...well, it will just have to do.

I don't ever see a reunion anyway.  But the first thing that needs to happen...yes, even more important than patching it up with Slash, would be Axl accepting that "nuGNR" is over. 

Because you can't do both.

I agree. Its one or the other.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #252 on: May 15, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »

The false notion that Axl doesn't care is once again repeated by those who think they have an idea.

What doesn't he care about? He gives his all in front of the audience at every show, playing way longer than the average concert. When he has something to say, he says it.
What he doesn't seem to care about is the self promoting in order to get headlines and gain attention. He doesn't go out of his way to find the paparazzi or talk to TMZ.

But the "he doesn't care" phrase. Once again, exaggerated generalization because he doesn't do what you think he should.

He has more integrity compared to many other in the business, and unfortunately some fans can't appreciate it, but instead see it as  something negative and him "not caring".
As seen above, the same old routine is repeated. It's not good enough that Axl is Axl for them. He shouldn't be Axl, he should be something else that fits their own person ideas of Axl. At the end of the day, who are they to tell him how to live his life? Wink

/jarmo

I agree with all of this. Axl is a bad ass and I love him for it and yes... he give his all during performances.

I respect everything Axl has done in terms of doing what he feels is right. Trouble is, I don't always agree with his decisions or how he goes about his business lol.

If he never wants to play with Slash again... all the power to him. I just wish I could understand it better... if he can patch everything up with Duff... there's no reason he cant do the same with Slash.

I believe in when there's smoke... there is fire. I would not fall down in shock if I read its happening at some point. Compared to a year or two ago when I thought 100 percent never. Truth is... GNR doesn't have anything set in stone for the near future. So anything could happen.

Duff saying that Izzy just sends him a bridge...and he doesn't need to hear it. He just says yes.

Shit like that about those guys just makes me smile.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #253 on: May 15, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »

A lot of truth here.

Pretty unheard of.

IF and it might be a big IF Axl is still planning on releasing new songs from the CD era under the GNR name .. then any kind of reunion would have to take place after that happens.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #254 on: May 15, 2015, 01:17:06 PM »

Del James posting a picture of Slash on twitter made my jaw drop.

Maybe there has been some contact... who knows.

I want something from GNR... whether its a new album or a reunion or both...all of it is exciting to me.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #255 on: May 15, 2015, 01:25:32 PM »

I agree with all of this. Axl is a bad ass and I love him for it and yes... he give his all during performances.

I respect everything Axl has done in terms of doing what he feels is right. Trouble is, I don't always agree with his decisions or how he goes about his business lol.

Yeah, you might think "why would he do that?" about something. But unless, you're him, it might not make sense to you.
And also, there's things we don't know about. So, it's like for the outside world, something might look odd, but it might be the best scenario in that situation.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #256 on: May 15, 2015, 01:38:55 PM »

Which is logical.

If your determination is that whatever Axl winds up doing was correct, righteous and noble...where is your credibility?  You will literally champion anything the man does.  Put out CD II?  Great move!  Reunite the band?  Great move!  Do press?  Great move!  Don't do press?  Great move!  Tour?  Great move!  Go into hiding?  Great move!

You reach a point where you are more of a clapping seal than any sort of rational thinker. 

And I'm not sure there is a more pointless comment than "he's going to do what he wants to do no matter what you think/say/want."  No shit.  What does that add to the discourse?  Zip. 

Not even to mention no one has ever started out a conversation with "here is what I want/expect/demand, or there will just be HELL TO PAY!!"  No one has ever said that in the history of ever.  That's a false premise with no relevance in a serious discussion.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2015, 01:41:14 PM »

IF and it might be a big IF Axl is still planning on releasing new songs from the CD era under the GNR name .. then any kind of reunion would have to take place after that happens.

No question about it.

The best pitch for a reunion tour is that Axl finally decides to cash out with the new band for a host of very plausible reasons.  And he just wants to go out on a high note.

Thing is, there is next to no evidence he gives a damn about any of that sort of thing.  Hard to forecast it.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #258 on: May 15, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »

I believe in when there's smoke... there is fire. I would not fall down in shock if I read its happening at some point. Compared to a year or two ago when I thought 100 percent never. Truth is... GNR doesn't have anything set in stone for the near future. So anything could happen.

Here is the problem with that, in my opinion.

Whenever any of this talk ever starts, Axl is not involved.  Its a few of the others talking, some industry type talking, whoever.  And we fans will then look for connections and start to spin yarns about how it might all mean something.

Then, Axl re-emerges from his cocoon somewhere down the line, and pretty much can't believe the question you just asked him.  No, there isn't going to be any reunion.  Why the hell would you think that?

And then an entire fanbase just says.....damn.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »

Yes but I think Duffs re emergence in Axl life is the difference now .

It's only natural that makes Axl view the past differently.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: