Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 02:15:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash says "never say never" over return to classic-era GN'R lineup  (Read 117097 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #420 on: May 19, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »

And then to just dismiss it afterwards as "Steven being Steven"?

Welllll, in fairness, how much does Axl get away with that many people are content to dismiss as "Axl being Axl"?  Hell, even Slash dismisses stuff that Axl does on that basis!  Does Steven spout off any more than Axl does onstage, especially during the UYI tour?

Well...haha...have I ever really shown a lot of love for that whole act?

I have always said we as a fanbase overromantacize in the extreme what is often totally childish and unprofessional behavior from him as "rock n roll, dude!". 

Or, my personal favorite "what did you expect???"

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #421 on: May 19, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »

I was thinking about it and I do believe for the general public to be satisfied regarding a reunion, Slash, Duff and Axl would actually be sufficient.

I don't think the general public cares enough to make any form of GNR reunion a massive success.  Maybe moderate enough to justify the costs, but not a juggernaut.

I think it would be on the level or close to what AC/DC is doing these days. Maybe not sustainable over years without new music, but initially.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #422 on: May 19, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »

At least he apologizes.

But out of genuine guilt or remorse?

Or just once he sobers up he realized his outburst was not going to help him get that last payday, if by some miracle it happened?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #423 on: May 19, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »

I think it would be on the level or close to what AC/DC is doing these days. Maybe not sustainable over years without new music, but initially.

Sells the first time around without a hint of a problem.

Look at KISS in 1996.  That shit was HUGE.

And KISS can't shine GNR's shoes, frankly.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #424 on: May 19, 2015, 06:08:23 PM »

At least he apologizes.

But out of genuine guilt or remorse?

I think out of genuine remorse.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #425 on: May 19, 2015, 06:09:05 PM »

I think the talk of stadiums are optimistic.  In some foreign lands, perhaps.

But domestically, even a reunion under optimum conditions, I think its an arena act.

And I think it would sell very easily.  At least the first time around.  How it went would determine if there any other follow up tours.

I pointed it out earlier, but AC/DC is playing stadiums. You don't think a hypothetical reunion, which happens to be the darling of the media, would get more attention than yet another AC/DC tour?

Arenas? I don't think so.
I mean, if that was the case, what does it say about the USA?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #426 on: May 19, 2015, 06:10:24 PM »

I have only seen them once, in 2011.  I enjoyed it, but I didn't feel like I was seeing he band I grew up with.

But to say you could get Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy...just no Steven?  I don't even give that a second thought.

But that's just it for me too.  The band I grew up with was Steven, Izzy, Axl, Slash, and Duff.  They're like a family to me that I wouldn't want to see if one were missing.  Hell, I wore out the tape I recorded of the MTV Ritz show to the point where I had to buy it twice more off ebay!  Hands down my favorite concert performance ever by any band.

Look at KISS in 1996.  That shit was HUGE.

And KISS can't shine GNR's shoes, frankly.

I agree, but KISS sold like crazy that time around due to hardcore fans wanting to see the original lineup in full makeup.  Not the general public showing interest.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #427 on: May 19, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »

If it were to happen, should be all or nothing.
Anything less than Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven would be a sham.
I?d be more than fine with Matt tagging along as well, but if Steven is still breathing, not including him would be cruel.

This is all theoretical anyway, but any contribution that steven could make are far outweighed by his issues and drawbacks, If his contributions were so valuable more people would have tried to work with him despite his problems, I don't blame anyone for avoiding him.

He wrote no songs, he sued the band twice, he has had countless relapses and overdoses, and he shoots his mouth off inappropriately calling current GNR members "hacks" and "scabs" for instance.

I can't picture a scenario where it would be beneficial to take such a dire chance by utilizing him. If he falls back into drugs because of that, it is nobody's fault but his own. He has made his bed.

Emily ... No beef but do you post on other boards with different screen names? This post is close to identical to some other post I read on another site , no beef just maybe a coincidence.

I don't understand the hatred for Steven ... But c'est la vie

No, I wish I had that sort of free time- I read others for news but only contribute here, so much for that accusation.

There is no hatred for Steven, just stating facts.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #428 on: May 19, 2015, 06:21:25 PM »

I?d be more than fine with Matt tagging along as well, but if Steven is still breathing, not including him would be cruel.

This is all theoretical anyway, but any contribution that steven could make are far outweighed by his issues and drawbacks, If his contributions were so valuable more people would have tried to work with him despite his problems, I don't blame anyone for avoiding him.

He wrote no songs, he sued the band twice, he has had countless relapses and overdoses, and he shoots his mouth off inappropriately calling current GNR members "hacks" and "scabs" for instance.

I can't picture a scenario where it would be beneficial to take such a dire chance by utilizing him. If he falls back into drugs because of that, it is nobody's fault but his own. He has made his bed.

Emily ... No beef but do you post on other boards with different screen names? This post is close to identical to some other post I read on another site , no beef just maybe a coincidence.

No, I wish I had that sort of free time- I read others for news but only contribute here, so much for that accusation.

It was a question , not an accusation

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #429 on: May 19, 2015, 06:26:29 PM »

It was a question , not an accusation

It was an answer, not an angry retort.

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #430 on: May 19, 2015, 06:33:22 PM »

Spot on.

Shocked   Chilly in hades today apparently.

I simply don't view steven as integral or necessary and he would undeniably be a huge risk. Not worth the time or effort it would take to write up the many stipulations in his contract so he could perform.

He isn't that necessary to me, I would go to shows regardless of whether Steven were included or not, the main draw would be the other 4 anyway imo.

"Shut the fuck up."
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #431 on: May 19, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »

I think the talk of stadiums are optimistic.  In some foreign lands, perhaps.

But domestically, even a reunion under optimum conditions, I think its an arena act.

And I think it would sell very easily.  At least the first time around.  How it went would determine if there any other follow up tours.

I pointed it out earlier, but AC/DC is playing stadiums. You don't think a hypothetical reunion, which happens to be the darling of the media, would get more attention than yet another AC/DC tour?

Arenas? I don't think so.
I mean, if that was the case, what does it say about the USA?

/jarmo

They could play wherever the hell they wanted ... You make a good point about acdc , if they are doing it again and again ... The GNR reunion would sell everywhere

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
mortismurphy
« Reply #432 on: May 19, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »

I, for one, like the songs off TSI that DX mentioned. I also like Scraped. I also enjoy the VMA performance and have it on my ipod. Yeah, Jungle and Paradise aren't the best versions, but he sings the fuck out of Madagascar. Am I supposed to not enjoy those songs or listen to them in secret and be ashamed because MortisMurphy doesn't like them? Who the fuck is that guy? Cool, you don't like them. Bravo. Points to you for not being a follower, for being different. I'm so impressed and enthralled that you can "Stick it" to Jarmo. You sir, are a true Badass

I think you have completely misread me. I only brought those up as examples of things a lot of Guns N' Roses fans have expressed negativity about in a rather long-winded debate with Jarmo concerning fandom. I did not raise them because I was personally interested in, whether or not people liked or disliked those items on HTGTH. They merely seemed pertinent to the debate at the time as, it is no secret that Axl's performance at the VMAs and Rio 4 received a lot of criticism from the GN'R fanbase, and that Scraped was one of the more maligned tracks on Chinese Democracy. In actual fact, I have never once expressed my own opinions on HTGTH concerning the song Scraped, the VMA performance or Rio 4, although I do accept that I had earlier mentioned in passing that I think The Spaghetti Incident stinks as an album (I remember the remark surprising Jarmo at the time). That The Spaghetti Incident succeeded for you, where it failed for me, can of course only be interpreted as a good thing.
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #433 on: May 20, 2015, 01:53:25 AM »

Everyone it seems is ignoring the elephant in the room... no

Just supposing, the reunion happened, one date or one tour, then what? Ever one lived happily ever after.... Nu Guns would be finished, and I think that would also mean that the reunited band would have to revisit the recording process, in which at least 2 of the 3 key members have publicly have dismissed as not wanting to go there again.  So  unless Axl changes his methodology in the writing and recording process, and there is no evidence to show that he has, in wanting the Golden egg laying goose, demand has just killed it.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #434 on: May 20, 2015, 02:43:21 AM »

I think I brought up a similar thing.

Certain people always "need" something from their favorite bands. When they get it, then they find something else they need.
Imagine if the reunion had happened at the RNRHOF in 2012. Do you think people would've been happy with that and moved on?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mortismurphy
« Reply #435 on: May 20, 2015, 08:01:26 AM »

Everyone it seems is ignoring the elephant in the room... no

Just correcting a misunderstanding, that is all. Not infringing on your conversation or anything.
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #436 on: May 20, 2015, 08:04:50 AM »

Certain people always "need" something from their favorite bands. When they get it, then they find something else they need.
Imagine if the reunion had happened at the RNRHOF in 2012. Do you think people would've been happy with that and moved on?

/jarmo

No...but thats a good thing isnt it? Whats the saying? Always leave them wanting more.

I really dont get the mentality of not wanting more from your favorite band. I can honestly see the argument being made if a band was putting out albums consistantly
over a 2-3 year period. GNR has never done that and still manages to have a significant fan base.

When people stop wanting more its a sign that theyve become complacent and stopped caring.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #437 on: May 20, 2015, 08:30:14 AM »

/jarmo

No of course not... If they had played that night and tore the house down... and then went their separate ways... the whole world would be like ummmmmmm ok now what.

Which of course is why Axl couldn't have attended. His current GNR would have been dead in the water.

But if the timing is right, and the latest lineup has ran its course...Then there wouldn't be that issue.

We don't even know if the latest GNR lineup is still in tact (well we kinda do, it's not), we have no clue about any future release plans and with Duff who played with GNR recently states him and Axl resolved a lot of things... maybe the time is close to being right or at least closer than it's ever been.

If Team Brazil announces a tour and an album tomorrow... this will all be for naught, and I think every single one of us would be ecstatic that we can talk about that rather than this water cooler talk.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:32:03 AM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #438 on: May 20, 2015, 08:35:35 AM »

I really dont get the mentality of not wanting more from your favorite band. I can honestly see the argument being made if a band was putting out albums consistantly
over a 2-3 year period. GNR has never done that and still manages to have a significant fan base.

When people stop wanting more its a sign that theyve become complacent and stopped caring.

But here's where I don't think you see the difference. Everybody here wants more from their favorite band, but not everybody complains about not getting more.

I want more of everything, more shows, more music, more interviews etc... Doesn't mean I have a need to go on and on about it in a fan forum which eventually becomes a complaint about not getting these things.

Have you honestly seen anyone here come out and say "I don't want anything more from this band"?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #439 on: May 20, 2015, 08:37:44 AM »

But here's where I don't think you see the difference. Everybody here wants more from their favorite band, but not everybody complains about not getting more.

I want more of everything, more shows, more music, more interviews etc... Doesn't mean I have a need to go on and on about it in a fan forum which eventually becomes a complaint about not getting these things.

Have you honestly seen anyone here come out and say "I don't want anything more from this band"?

Spirit.. I agree

However, there have been people who take the stance that they could never do anything again.. and that's ok too.

Which I can't buy. I'd be really upset if all the songs just end up in a vault or released one day long after Axl is gone.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: