Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 07:41:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Tommy: I Had To Walk Away And Take Care Of My Stuff, Hopes Axl/Slash Mend Fences
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tommy: I Had To Walk Away And Take Care Of My Stuff, Hopes Axl/Slash Mend Fences  (Read 37979 times)
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2015, 03:50:47 PM »

So....to those doubting the phrasing the first time...does this move you closer to the "he is out" side? Or not? I'm honestly curious...not trying to push one way or the other.

To me it just confirms the band is on a hiatus, like Ashba said a few months ago, before quitting. The band is clearly inactive since July 2014, so the band members quit or moved on to do their stuff. First time he said he didn't quit or walk away. Now he says he had to walk away from it. Whatever that means for him.

I still don't see how this leads to any kind of reunion. There is just no activity, like it was the case between 2003 and 2005 for instance, or 1995 to 1998 for that matter. To me we're just back ten years ago. I really don't see Slash reuniting with Axl. He has his gig, he seems pretty happy with it and I don't see him walking away from this.

As for Tommy, I really liked his attitude and what he brought (brings?) to the band so if he really "walked away", to me that's not a good thing.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2015, 03:52:52 PM »

I am curious, can the original lin up play cd stuff? If the original members reunited, would they have to drop the cd stuff or would they keep playing some of it?

I would doubt it.

Some sort of reunion tour would have people coming out of the woodwork.  But to see Slash play 'November Rain'.  Not 'Shackler's Revenge'.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2015, 04:20:21 PM »

So....to those doubting the phrasing the first time...does this move you closer to the "he is out" side? Or not? I'm honestly curious...not trying to push one way or the other.

To me it just confirms the band is on a hiatus, like Ashba said a few months ago, before quitting. The band is clearly inactive since July 2014, so the band members quit or moved on to do their stuff. First time he said he didn't quit or walk away. Now he says he had to walk away from it. Whatever that means for him.

I still don't see how this leads to any kind of reunion. There is just no activity, like it was the case between 2003 and 2005 for instance, or 1995 to 1998 for that matter. To me we're just back ten years ago. I really don't see Slash reuniting with Axl. He has his gig, he seems pretty happy with it and I don't see him walking away from this.

As for Tommy, I really liked his attitude and what he brought (brings?) to the band so if he really "walked away", to me that's not a good thing.
couldnt have said it better.the fact that tommy said "walked away" for the first time since 98 makes me a bit concerned as well.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2015, 08:32:43 AM »

Tommy is not more out of the band than anyone else. With the exception of DJ and BBF.  lol @ this

And how do you think that's coming along, that process? 

It wasn't a problem releasing greatest hits.

Since he said that (overa  year ago, mind you) he's down 3 band members. 

Ok so now Axl didn't kick Tommy (for a reunion) but he left the band, albeit stating he didn't quit and that he will consider joining if the modern line-up gets back on the road? And due to all this Axl is forced to accept a reunion just so he can be popular again with his band?  Motivations like artistic integrity and comfort-zones are apprantly not an issue, Axl is driven purely by comercial intrest. Did I get it right?

I still think a reunion is an incredible longshot.  But what is building GNR Version 4.0?  A piece of cake?

What exactly is the problem? Traci got replaced by Slash. Steven got replaced by Matt. Izzy got replaced by Gilby. Duff replaced by Tommy. Slash replaced by Buckethead. Matt replaced by Josh Freeze who again got replaced by Brain who again got replaced by Frank Ferrer. Paul Tobias by Richard Fortus. Buckethead replaced by Bumblefoot. Robin Finck Replaced by DjAshba. Why is getting new guitarplayers (for a possible tour) suddenly an issue?

negativity and reunionism, tsk tsk
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:35:35 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2015, 08:50:09 AM »

People change minds all the time. 

Axl doesn't seem to change nor to give a damn about peer-pressure. Cause he knows the individual is above the rest. yes

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2015, 08:50:31 AM »

a new lineup with Duff is definitly a  ok for me.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2015, 09:02:08 AM »

First time he said he didn't quit or walk away. Now he says he had to walk away from it. Whatever that means for him.

Read it again. He said he didn't quit and that they all walked away and that he 'of course' (suggests positive) will think about coming back if the modern line-up gets back together.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:04:30 AM by norway » Logged

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2015, 09:11:02 AM »

What exactly is the problem? Traci got replaced by Slash. Steven got replaced by Matt. Izzy got replaced by Gilby. Duff replaced by Tommy. Slash replaced by Buckethead. Matt replaced by Josh Freeze who again got replaced by Brain who again got replaced by Frank Ferrer. Paul Tobias by Richard Fortus. Buckethead replaced by Bumblefoot. Robin Finck Replaced by DjAshba. Why is getting new guitarplayers (for a possible tour) suddenly an issue?

negativity and reunionism, tsk tsk

First ask... can we please drop the Traci, Ole, and Rob Gardner talk... While yes they were in Hollywood Rose and LA Guns for a few years together, depending on the timeline you piece together from interviews and articles they were in Guns N' Roses for under 3 months and may have played 2 or 3 shows under that name... Axl and Izzy formed the band in March 1985 and Slash, Steven, and Duff were all in and touring by June 1985.

Second, look at what you are saying:
Slash-->Robin-->DJ-->?
Izzy-->Gilby-->Tobias-->Richard
Duff-->Tommy (?)-->
Steven-->Matt-->Josh-->Brain-->Frank
empty-->Bucket-->Ron-->?
Axl...

Axl has replaced everyone in the band at least 3 times (depending on the Tommy endgame)... Short of returning to 1987, 1992, 2002, 2006, or some combination of them I don't think you can call a musical act that is on it's 3rd or 4th generation at every position anything but a solo project. I am not even almost saying name change... but I am saying you can no longer call it a band, it is a solo project with a hired touring band. I think a reunion (and I don't mean Slash is a requirement) is needed if you want to hang on to the idea that this is a 'band'.

Even Axl, Robin, Richard, Duff, Frank would be a huge step in the right direction.

Axl, Random Guitar, Random Guitar, Richard, Random Bass, and Frank is a failure.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:27:06 AM by C0ma » Logged
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2015, 09:34:55 AM »

but I am saying you can no longer call it a band, it is a solo project with a hired touring band

You just called it a band there! Tongue

Taake, Burzum, NIN and The Prodigy is similar. Hanzel und Gretyl even tours as just two guys and plays live over a backingtrack. Anything goes.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2015, 09:46:34 AM »

but I am saying you can no longer call it a band, it is a solo project with a hired touring band

You just called it a band there! Tongue

Taake, Burzum, NIN and The Prodigy is similar. Hanzel und Gretyl even tours as just two guys and plays live over a backingtrack. Anything goes.

First off you know what I mean... A solo act needs a touring band to play material with multiple instruments, but that doesn't make it a 'band'...

3 of the 5 you named I have never heard of... I'm assuming (knowing a little bit about you from this board in the past) this is Norwegian Viking Metal or something? Not exactly the biggest band in the world at any time... GNR were...

NIN is Trent Reznor... it's a solo project with people who play parts live for him... nothing more. If that's what Axl wants, cool... but it isn't a band.
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2015, 09:50:12 AM »

but it isn't a band.

You're romantic (not that there is anything wrong w it!), not factual (imo) could even say pedantic but i wont.

Taake and Burzum is Black Metal.
Hanzel und gretyl is industrual metal
The Prodigy is electronic music merged with rock-elements

They are mostly like 'Axl-band'. More or less. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:01:32 AM by norway » Logged

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2015, 10:02:41 AM »

but it isn't a band.

You're romantic (not that there is anything wrong w it!), not factual (imo) could even say pedantic but i wont.

Taake and Burzum is Black Metal.
Hanzel und gretyl is industrual metal
The Prodigy is electronic music merged with rock-elements https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msue2VxBKTE

They are mostly like 'Axl-band'. More or less. 

I know Prodigy which is why I said 3 of 5... math is our friend... I just wouldn't compare them in anyway to Guns N Roses on any level.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2015, 10:06:54 AM »

Great. The old "it's not a band" discussion.

Because people quit and were replaced, it stopped being a band?

The Foo Fighters isn't a band? The Ramones weren't a band?
Bon Jovi (yuck) isn't a band?

Compare it to a family, team or a company. People divorce, get new partners but it doesn't mean they're not a family.... Same with teams and companies.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2015, 10:14:13 AM »

I just wouldn't compare them in anyway to Guns N Roses on any level.

u american?

I actually think Maxim (the prodigy) should be on same list as Axl, Jim, Freddie, Steven Tyler etc, but he is not rly in the same genre, just league.

And I took the bait...

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »

I just wouldn't compare them in anyway to Guns N Roses on any level.

u american?

I actually think Maxim (the prodigy) should be on same list as Axl, Jim, Freddie, Steven Tyler etc, but he is not rly in the same genre, just league.

Laughable... I refuse for anyone outside of a very small circle to tell me anything that The Prodigy has done outside of Firestarter and Smack My Bitch Up back in 1996 (and those are rubbish) This is like the Bucket argument... it may have a small cult following, but not Axl, Freddie, Steven Tyler, Robert Plant, etc... I'd put Kid Rock in that list before Maxim

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:34:14 AM by C0ma » Logged
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »

/jarmo

I'm not trying to present it as a negative, but at what point does one guy and a bunch of very replaceable fill ins become a solo act. I don't think this has to be a label that 'scars'.

As far as Foo Fighters, they started as Dave Grohl and fill ins, but the fill ins have been there now and contribute material since 1999.
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2015, 10:56:20 AM »

Axl = Ihsahn
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »

/jarmo

I'm not trying to present it as a negative, but at what point does one guy and a bunch of very replaceable fill ins become a solo act. I don't think this has to be a label that 'scars'.

As far as Foo Fighters, they started as Dave Grohl and fill ins, but the fill ins have been there now and contribute material since 1999.

I think the "it's not a band" regurgitation to be negative, old, and stale. It definitely is a band by any definition.

band
noun
noun: band; plural noun: bands
a group of people who have a common interest or purpose.
a small group of musicians and vocalists who play pop, jazz, or rock music.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2015, 11:07:23 AM »

/jarmo

I think the "it's not a band" regurgitation to be negative, old, and stale. It definitely is a band by any definition.

band
noun
noun: band; plural noun: bands
a group of people who have a common interest or purpose.
a small group of musicians and vocalists who play pop, jazz, or rock music.

I'm with you on this, FYI.

I've just stopped arguing with them about it because it's clear that, in their language, "band" means something other than what it means in English.

And when asked for a better definition, I get a narrow definition that's obviously tailored to meet a specific agenda...which does not equate to the actual word "band".

So I've given up.  It's just not worth my time.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2015, 11:08:48 AM »

It all depends on the act.

Sometimes a solo act has a backing band, and they really have no input on anything.
Other times the backing band is an actual band that's playing with a singer.

With GN'R, the guys in the band did contribute to the albums and live shows in ways most backing bands probably wouldn't.

This whole argument is often used by people who have some kind of "beef" with Axl.

So you're saying it became a band because they were there long enough and wrote material. Is there a rule book? Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: