Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 10:31:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227983 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Tommy: I Had To Walk Away And Take Care Of My Stuff, Hopes Axl/Slash Mend Fences
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tommy: I Had To Walk Away And Take Care Of My Stuff, Hopes Axl/Slash Mend Fences  (Read 37992 times)
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »

Albums as in plural? Cheesy

Also Bumble didnt write anything, he just added his part to existing songs. And Ashba didnt do shit.

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2015, 11:27:51 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbHQn701zrs thats our boy live peace

Laughable... I refuse for anyone outside of a very small circle to tell me anything that The Prodigy has done outside of Firestarter and Smack My Bitch Up back in 1996 (and those are rubbish) This is like the Bucket argument... it may have a small cult following, but not Axl, Freddie, Steven Tyler, Robert Plant, etc... I'd put Kid Rock in that list before Maxim

I think he is underated. Axl is AFD, RP is the 70's, Freddie is that Wembley-gig equally as much as Maxim is 1996.

Buckethead had a small cult following, now he is rated as amongst the worlds greatests guitarplayers. The worlds greatests. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:50:44 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2015, 12:10:27 PM »

I'm not trying to present it as a negative, but at what point does one guy and a bunch of very replaceable fill ins become a solo act. I don't think this has to be a label that 'scars'.

It all depends on the act.

Sometimes a solo act has a backing band, and they really have no input on anything.
Other times the backing band is an actual band that's playing with a singer.

With GN'R, the guys in the band did contribute to the albums and live shows in ways most backing bands probably wouldn't.

This whole argument is often used by people who have some kind of "beef" with Axl.

As far as Foo Fighters, they started as Dave Grohl and fill ins, but the fill ins have been there now and contribute material since 1999.

So you're saying it became a band because they were there long enough and wrote material. Is there a rule book? Wink

/jarmo

The Foo Fighters reference is the point I'm making... yes they were there long enough and contributed material. IF Axl adds 2 new (never before in a GnR lineup) guitar players, and Tommy is in fact gone for what ever reason. We are 'generations' removed from anyone (except for Reed and Pitman) who has contributed material that anyone outside Axl's inner circle (and maybe a few random Portuguese hoarders) has heard. That to me screams Solo act and touring band (which isn't a bad thing).

Any of the following coming back into the fold would help 'legitimize' (in my sad mind) the label 'BAND':

Tommy
Robin
Huge (not happening)
Bucket (hope it doesn't happen)
Izzy
Duff
Slash

Anything from the 87-88. 91-93, 01-02, 06-07 era is good... A nearly brand new 15-16 lineup with absolutely no tie to any official release seems like a giant leap backwards to me.

**EDIT** I keep leaving out Richard which upsets me because he is my favorite Modern lineup member...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:12:40 PM by C0ma » Logged
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2015, 12:12:05 PM »

Can be disaponting to be a gnr-fan at times yeah

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbHQn701zrs thats our boy live peace

Laughable... I refuse for anyone outside of a very small circle to tell me anything that The Prodigy has done outside of Firestarter and Smack My Bitch Up back in 1996 (and those are rubbish) This is like the Bucket argument... it may have a small cult following, but not Axl, Freddie, Steven Tyler, Robert Plant, etc... I'd put Kid Rock in that list before Maxim

I think he is underated. Axl is AFD, RP is the 70's, Freddie is that Wembley-gig equally as much as Maxim is 1996.

Buckethead had a small cult following, now he is rated as amongst the worlds greatests guitarplayers. The worlds greatests. 

Granted they are bigger in Europe than they ever were in the US (which is similar to me just not getting Robbie Williams, because he sort of existed here for like 9 months in 2001ish)... BUT I have seen them (The Prodigy) perform live and honestly Maxim isn't even who I thought he was, I thought you were talking about Keith Flint... I wouldn't even consider Maxim a front man that you would compare to Axl, Tyler, Plant, etc... I would more closely compare him to Flava Flav and Keith to Chuck D.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »

I'm not trying to present it as a negative, but at what point does one guy and a bunch of very replaceable fill ins become a solo act. I don't think this has to be a label that 'scars'.

It all depends on the act.

Sometimes a solo act has a backing band, and they really have no input on anything.
Other times the backing band is an actual band that's playing with a singer.

With GN'R, the guys in the band did contribute to the albums and live shows in ways most backing bands probably wouldn't.

This whole argument is often used by people who have some kind of "beef" with Axl.

As far as Foo Fighters, they started as Dave Grohl and fill ins, but the fill ins have been there now and contribute material since 1999.

So you're saying it became a band because they were there long enough and wrote material. Is there a rule book? Wink

/jarmo

The Foo Fighters reference is the point I'm making... yes they were there long enough and contributed material. IF Axl adds 2 new (never before in a GnR lineup) guitar players, and Tommy is in fact gone for what ever reason. We are 'generations' removed from anyone (except for Reed and Pitman) who has contributed material that anyone outside Axl's inner circle (and maybe a few random Portuguese hoarders) has heard. That to me screams Solo act and touring band (which isn't a bad thing).

Any of the following coming back into the fold would help 'legitimize' (in my sad mind) the label 'BAND':

Tommy
Robin
Huge (not happening)
Bucket (hope it doesn't happen)
Izzy
Duff
Slash

Anything from the 87-88. 91-93, 01-02, 06-07 era is good... A nearly brand new 15-16 lineup with absolutely no tie to any official release seems like a giant leap backwards to me.

**EDIT** I keep leaving out Richard which upsets me because he is my favorite Modern lineup member...

If you and I own a table building company, and we build tables together...by hand...and then you leave the company...does that mean I built those tables alone?

No, of course not.  

Future tables...I might build alone, or with someone else...but your leaving doesn't change the fact that we built those initial tables together.  

And when I sell those tables we made, eventually, when I choose to, I'm still not the sole creator of those tables. Am I?

And, until I actually MAKE tables on my own, with nobody else's input...I'm not a "solo table maker".  Because it's just as likely I take on a new partner, or partners, to help me create tables. They might even help me modify some of the existing tables to make them different/better (which still doesn't remove your contribution to the creative process).

Also, to address the "BBF/DJ did nothing" stuff.  We don't know that.  We have comments from both people saying otherwise.  They could very well have contributed to future material, or not.  We can't really assume either way.

GnR is "in flux" right now, from what we know.  That doesn't mean they're not a band. It just means we don't know what form that band is going to take as we go forward.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:57:09 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »

Also Bumble didnt write anything, he just added his part to existing songs. And Ashba didnt do shit.

so you're basically saying Bumble didn't write his own parts?

complete nonsense.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »

Touring band? Band.

Seriously. This is getting ridiculous.

When somebody quits a band, a team or a company, doesn't mean those things cease to exist.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »

so you're basically saying Bumble didn't write his own parts?

complete nonsense.

And where would one find Bumble's writing credits?
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2015, 03:06:45 PM »

We would never have these fights if everybody just came out and acknowledged that they do not care who plays the parts..if Axl is singing.. then its a BAND and it's called Guns N Roses.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2015, 03:15:14 PM »

I'm getting antsy... Lets go Axl !

Slash, Duff, Richard, Dizzy , Pick ur favorite drummer and have Izzy and Steven come out for an encore once in a while ...

and release the vault

Everybody wins!

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »

Great. The old "it's not a band" discussion.

Because people quit and were replaced, it stopped being a band?

The Foo Fighters isn't a band? The Ramones weren't a band?
Bon Jovi (yuck) isn't a band?

Compare it to a family, team or a company. People divorce, get new partners but it doesn't mean they're not a family.... Same with teams and companies.

/jarmo

If a family completely changes members, but keeps the same legal name, is it still the same family?
If a man divorces his wife and abandons his kids, and moves in with another woman and her kids and marries her, the family will have the same last name, but is it the same family? Or a different family which has the same name?

What would you say separates a band from a solo project?
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2015, 04:33:29 PM »

Do they celebrate
Holidays as family?
Share the same last name?

Are restaurant seats
Reserved under their last name?
Then they're family.

Not the same version,
But family nonetheless
And same name applies.

Splash

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2015, 04:38:55 PM »

Compare it to a family, team or a company. People divorce, get new partners but it doesn't mean they're not a family.... Same with teams and companies.

/jarmo

If a family completely changes members, but keeps the same legal name, is it still the same family?
If a man divorces his wife and abandons his kids, and moves in with another woman and her kids and marries her, the family will have the same last name, but is it the same family? Or a different family which has the same name?

No, not the SAME family.....but indeed still a family.  GNR isn't the same band, but STILL a band.

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2015, 04:46:44 PM »

/jarmo

No, not the SAME family.....but indeed still a family.  GNR isn't the same band, but STILL a band.

Exactly- definitely a band. Can't believe some choose to try and debate this fact.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
DeN
Legend

« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2015, 04:52:48 PM »

first time I heard the "GNR isn't the same band" it was in 1992 after the Vincennes
show here in Paris from a guy who saw them live some years before.

I suppose there will always that kind of guy.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2015, 05:07:54 PM »

first time I heard the "GNR isn't the same band" it was in 1992 after the Vincennes

Yeah.

Isn't it exciting?

We can do this again in a few weeks!  Cheesy Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2015, 05:24:25 PM »

It hasn't been a band since Duff left. Sorry, but I consider this to be an Axl Rose solo project until the reunion happens. Considering this as an Axl Rose solo project is fine.   
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2015, 05:27:21 PM »

Tommy and Chris have been in the band since 1998, which is 17 years. Richard has been in the band since 2002, which is 13 years. Frank has been in the band since 2006, which is 9 years. Guys have been around for a while.

DeN
Legend

« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2015, 05:28:31 PM »

Yeah.

Isn't it exciting?

We can do this again in a few weeks!  Cheesy Wink

/jarmo

your favorite GNR song must be Patience...  hihi

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: