Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 04:34:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Anniversary / deluxe editions - Yay or Nay? - a discussion
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anniversary / deluxe editions - Yay or Nay? - a discussion  (Read 35195 times)
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2016, 07:33:36 AM »

I like the idea, but I would like to see separate releases possibly. I liked the Don't Cry demo, so including that would be cool. Releasing a couple of different songs as singles would be interesting as well, just to get some different songs in the radio.
SharkOfLargo
Opening Act

« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »

Anyways, to be on topic. I agreed with a lot of what people said about reissues or box sets.

For AFD I feel like you have to really be careful with what you put out for that one. I wouldn't include the metal 1999 recording they did or whatever. I don't think that belongs in a anniversary set.

I'd go something like this.
Disc 1 - regular album
Disc 2 - remastered album from original tapes
Disc 3 - As much demos/unreleased stuff from the 85-87 era they have
Disc 4 - Every song from this era performed live. Or maybe just a fancy Ritz live cd? I don't know. Just AFD era songs in a live capcity on 1 disc. I think going with 1 show would be best, and that would be Ritz right?
BOOK, some sort of book for a super deluxe thing.

Just anything obscure and different from this era. That would be incredible.

This, as said, would be incredible.  Great idea.

All Aboard..........
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2016, 10:30:14 AM »

While most people are focusing on the alleged imminent reunion, another possible that seems to be overlooked is the fact that GN'R is one of few bands who haven't re-released their albums in those Deluxe or anniversary editions yet.

What's your opinion on these? Do you buy them from other artists bands you like? Do you go for the most expensive edition or something else (often there's a more simple version with only CDs and then the most expensive ones with LPs, Blu-rays, books and stuff)?

IF Universal Music and GN'R decided to release this kind of versions of the GN'R albums, what would you like to see on them? It seems like hardcore fans often have a better idea of what's available on bootleg than the average person who puts these things together.

So let's focus on the studio albums. What would you like to see on a anniversary / deluxe edition of these albums?

Appetite For Destruction
GN'R Lies
Use Your Illusion I
Use Your Illusion II
"The Spaghetti Incident?"
Chinese Democracy

Keep in mind, this is supposed to be somewhat constructive. No need to remind people that they are stupid for wanting something or that nobody would buy it etc.
Thanks!

/jarmo

At the risk of being a naysayer, I'm not a fan of deluxe editions of albums at all. It just feels like I'm paying a second time for songs I already own. I have the same problem with Greatest Hits packages mind you, but at least those are aimed at casual fans, so I can understand them.

Case in point: Pearl Jam re-released Ten. I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan. One of the outtakes was that song Brother, which was really fucking good, got lots of radio airplay. I still didn't buy the reissue though. Not paying full pop for one extra song.

What I would greatly prefer is a B-sides/rarities collection. You could probably make that a 2-3 disc set if you included some demos and live stuff. Something similar to Nirvana's With The Lights Out would be cool.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2016, 11:26:46 AM »

I've gotten several reissues myself and I think they often offer a great addition to the collection of music the bands have put out.

Like the Led Zeppelin ones....

I do see your point about buying the same stuff again though.
But usually you're getting something on top of the regular album so it's not exactly the same.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jamillos22
Rocker

« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2016, 11:29:57 AM »

Alleged? Ain?t nuthin? alleged bout that, not any more, sir! 

Hell has frozen over.
kyrie
Legend

« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »

I've gotten several reissues myself and I think they often offer a great addition to the collection of music the bands have put out.

Like the Led Zeppelin ones....

I do see your point about buying the same stuff again though.
But usually you're getting something on top of the regular album so it's not exactly the same.  hihi

/jarmo

I've only done them when I didn't already have the original album.
Now, if I was buying an older album I didn't have from a band I like, and a re-issue with extra tracks was available, I'd go for that. But I buy all GNR albums on day one Wink
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2016, 11:54:14 AM »

A Lies reissue or deluxe version might be silly, so as someone said before it might be best to include that in with the TSI era?

I couldn't imagine lies being more than maybe 3 discs at best?

Lies IS Live like a Suicide. So just take away the crowd noise as many have said, maybe remaster it and then include that cbg acoustic whatever it was. I forget. Then add ANY extras from that show. 3 discs at best on that. I mean it was just 4 acoustic songs basically with the Suicide EP.

The UYI era would be incredibly nice to look at.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2016, 12:36:48 PM »

The only unreleased thing from the acoustic 'Lies' sessions is 'Cornchucker', right?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »

The only unreleased thing from the acoustic 'Lies' sessions is 'Cornchucker', right?

As for other songs yes.

There's alternate takes on the other songs though. A pretty cool One In A Million.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »

As for other songs yes.

There's alternate takes on the other songs though. A pretty cool One In A Million.

Yeah, I really like those demos from those sessions.  They sound crisp.

This is a great acoustic band.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
kyrie
Legend

« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2016, 12:55:30 PM »

I believe so. And based on the past legal B.S. with that song, it's unlikely to ever get released. Though I suppose Guns have the money to just settle that if they wanted.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »

As for other songs yes.

Yeah, I guess it is considered a demo. But as you say, the quality of the recording is so good, I think it's good enough for a release.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
kyrie
Legend

« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2016, 03:44:16 PM »

As for other songs yes.

Yeah, I guess it is considered a demo. But as you say, the quality of the recording is so good, I think it's good enough for a release.

I don't see it happening. One, lyrical content - don't see Axl putting something like that out at this point, even if it's an old, already recorded track. He already has to deal with One in a Million being on the album after all. Two, the whole B.S. with The Mentors, and the "they stole our song" claim. Not worth the headache.
FootSoldier
Headliner

Crawls Through Your Veins Like Millions of Spiders

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2016, 04:35:36 PM »

I would love for GNR to do a deluxe release similar to what The Pixies did with their Minotaur, Deluxe boxset. Google it if you get a chance, it is amazing!

---GNR---
Melbourne, Australia - 15 & 16 June  2007
Adelaide, Australia - 07 December  2010
Las Vegas, USA -  09 & 10 November  2012
Melbourne, Australia - 16 & 17 March 2013
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »

Reunion is in full swing here. We've got several SOLD OUT dates... and more to come.

The band is rehearsing without Axl as of a couple weeks ago. Happy times.

This September makes 25 years sinec Use Your Illusions I and II hit the world.

Next summer makes 30 years of Appetite.

What are the chances we get anything like this? I say they are high. Since the UYI 25th comes before the 30th AFD do you think that will present any problem? I don't.

I just would love a super deluxe thing with TOUR DVD of like 2-3 hours of stuff, extras, demos... any footage. I'd glad cork out 100 bucks for that!

But don't damn me
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2016, 03:12:53 PM »

Better chance then this time last year, when chances were zero.

But I do recall Axl talking about how much he hated the process it took to make the UYI albums and how they were not happy memories.  The only bright side there was that he said that during a time he still hated Slash and Duff, so maybe that's improved his memory some.

CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2016, 03:14:54 PM »

For AFD? Definitely. For the UYIs? Probably not.
Consider this, another band with less issues - The Let it Be film will never be re-released on home media while Ringo and Paul are still alive. Paul especially doesn't want the film circulated as it brings back bad memories and also he feels would taint The Beatles' friendly image.
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2016, 03:18:33 PM »

Yeah the UYI process was drawn out, that only took 2 years roughly from start to finish..

Imagine that just 2 years?

Not 10 lol..

Sorry I had to.

But don't damn me
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2016, 03:19:43 PM »

I think there is a good chance and am really in favor of doing something for the "Illusions."  Both of the "Illusions" are among the biggest selling rock records of the 90's and yet I feel that they are largely glossed over when it comes to recognizing their significance.   A kick ass deluxe edition could help give these records the proper recognition, especially for younger fans.  "Appetite" put the band on the map , but the "Illusions" solidified them as the biggest band on earth.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2016, 03:22:50 PM »

I think there is a good chance and am really in favor of doing something for the "Illusions."  Both of the "Illusions" are among the biggest selling rock records of the 90's and yet I feel that they are largely glossed over when it comes to recognizing their significance.   A kick ass deluxe edition could help give these records the proper recognition, especially for younger fans.  "Appetite" put the band on the map , but the "Illusions" solidified them as the biggest band on earth.

I think a good indicator would be the number of UYI tunes in selists this summer.

Let's face it, Axl largely ignored them except for the singles for much of post-2001.

Will the other 2's return mean we get more album cut type tunes?  Dunno.  But think it would be a good sign for something like this to occur.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: