Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:57:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl and Duff interview this sunday for Brazilian TV (now with Izzy's response)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl and Duff interview this sunday for Brazilian TV (now with Izzy's response)  (Read 63067 times)
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »

Yep, with Axl also sending out those CD plaques as well....

Yeah, that was telling.

And remember, people were wondering if he was just hanging it up entirely.  But it sure seemed like the end of something.

Yeah, when they posted that "I ain't going anywhere!" pic of Axl, they sure weren't kidding.  hihi
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #281 on: September 08, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »

Izzy bailed in 1991 because of Axl's insanity.

But even before then, the other members were all saying amongst themselves he was sort of half assing it out there.

Uh huh.  The wastoids known as Slash and Duff were saying that?

In 1991, Izzy Stradlin was the only one sane or sober enough to realize how bad the GNR scene had really become.  The riots, the drug use, the late starts, Axl's no-shows..... Izzy cited all these reasons back in the 1990s as reasons why he quit and I can't blame him.

Should Izzy have had the "foresight" -- as some here suggest -- to know what quitting may cost him in the future?  Hell no.  When you're drowning in an abyss of toxins that could actually kill you in an instant at any given moment, you're not going to spend time debating whether or not to continue on.  You're going to escape by the skin of your ass.

Looking back, we're all damn lucky that certain band members and audiences themselves are still alive after the GNR tours of the 1990s.  That was Izzy was fearing then, and I can fully understand it.

Having said that....

As far as Izzy's participation today, I will say that it's obvious he isn't a huge draw as a member of Guns N Roses.  Unfortunately for him, the year is 2016, not 1986.  He doesn't hold the same appeal business wise or commercially as he did when GNR was just five urchins living under the street.  Izzy hasn't toured a regular schedule in 25 years so it's not unreasonable to wonder whether he could handle it -- and handling a world tour from start to finish every single night is exactly what would be required of him if he expected to be paid even close to equally of an Axl, a Slash, or a Duff.

Steven Adler joined GNR for those recent guests spots and I am sure he didn't complain about the money.  He was happy to be playing with GNR again, and the audiences were all thrilled to see him.  He jived very well with Axl, Slash, and Duff onstage.  That could definitely be Izzy too if they all could come to terms.  I'd love to see it -- all five originals onstage simultaneously would be an amazing sight!

Regarding Izzy's "bullshit" cry -- I doubt that closes the door forever.  The other four original members have played together this past summer, and that would never have happened if they all hadn't been incredibly forgiving towards each other for shit they've ALL said about each other in the past.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:37:00 PM by Bridge » Logged
reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #282 on: September 08, 2016, 04:57:01 PM »

But even before then, the other members were all saying amongst themselves he was sort of half assing it out there.

In 1991, Izzy Stradlin was the only one sane or sober enough to realize how bad the GNR scene had really become.  The riots, the drug use, the late starts, Axl's no-shows..... Izzy cited all these reasons back in the 1990s as reasons why he quit and I can't blame him.

Should Izzy have had the "foresight" -- as some here suggest -- to know what quitting may cost him in the future?  Hell no.  When you're drowning in an abyss of toxins that could actually kill you in an instant at any given moment, you're not going to spend time debating whether or not to continue on.  You're going to escape by the skin of your ass.

Looking back, we're all damn lucky that certain band members and audiences themselves are still alive after the GNR tours of the 1990s.  That was Izzy was fearing then, and I can fully understand it.

Having said that....

As far as Izzy's participation today, I will say that it's obvious he isn't a huge draw as a member of Guns N Roses.  Unfortunately for him, the year is 2016, not 1986.  He doesn't hold the same appeal business wise or commercially as he did when GNR was just five urchins living under the street.  Izzy hasn't toured a regular schedule in 25 years so it's not unreasonable to wonder whether he could handle it -- and handling a world tour from start to finish every single night is exactly what would be required of him if he expected to be paid even close to equally of an Axl, a Slash, or a Duff.

Steven Adler joined GNR for those recent guests spots and I am sure he didn't complain about the money.  He was happy to be playing with GNR again, and the audiences were all thrilled to see him.  He jived very well with Axl, Slash, and Duff onstage.  That could definitely be Izzy too if they all could come to terms.  I'd love to see it -- all five originals onstage simultaneously would be an amazing sight!

Regarding Izzy's "bullshit" cry -- I doubt that closes the door forever.  The other four original members have played together this past summer, and that would never have happened if they all hadn't been incredibly forgiving towards each other for shit they've ALL said about each other in the past.

He did tour with GN'R through Europe in 2006..it's a shame that the guy who has been coolest with Axl over the last decade is now the outcast.

It does seem like Richard was never in doubt over his involvement in the band.
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2016, 05:42:20 PM »

Having said that....

He did tour with GN'R through Europe in 2006..it's a shame that the guy who has been coolest with Axl over the last decade is now the outcast.

It does seem like Richard was never in doubt over his involvement in the band.

And Richard was a cheap price also.

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2016, 05:50:39 PM »

He played shows with the band in 2006. He didn't do the whole European tour or full shows...

It was still amazing to see him there though.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #285 on: September 08, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »

He played shows with the band in 2006. He didn't do the whole European tour or full shows...

/jarmo

Definitely- was great to see him, but it felt a lot like a 'bonus' to me at the time rather than anything more. I got the impression the only reason Izzy was there was because he wanted to be, for a few songs, on certain nights.

On another note- it's was always under the impression that Izzy left due to his drug use. Is there not a story in one of the books about his parents coming and basically taking him home and off the road to be cared for? I'm sure this is in one of the autobiography books. I'll go through them and have a look for the bit, unless anyone else remembers this?

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #286 on: September 08, 2016, 08:17:55 PM »

/jarmo

Definitely- was great to see him, but it felt a lot like a 'bonus' to me at the time rather than anything more. I got the impression the only reason Izzy was there was because he wanted to be, for a few songs, on certain nights.

It's bad when people do things because they want to?  Huh
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #287 on: September 08, 2016, 08:26:42 PM »

Just to be clear, I'm sure most of us would love to see Izzy on stage with GN'R in the future. And considering that only a few years ago, the current tour would've seem impossible, so who knows what happens in the future.

I'm just pointing out that I suspect things aren't as black or white as his tweet might make it seem...  Smiley

/jarmo

ok I agree. Also Pilfrek, you made a lot of good posts in this thread!
AndrewH257
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #288 on: September 09, 2016, 12:53:33 AM »

Will someone please remind me what the "CD plaques" were?  Thanks.

Andrew

10/31/06 - Jacksonville, Fl
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #289 on: September 09, 2016, 04:16:27 AM »

/jarmo

It's bad when people do things because they want to?  Huh

Huh? No one is saying it was bad!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #290 on: September 09, 2016, 05:32:02 AM »

Will someone please remind me what the "CD plaques" were?  Thanks.

Andrew

I'm assuming they were talking about the platinum awards for Chinese Democracy.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #291 on: September 09, 2016, 06:36:09 AM »

Izzy apparently responded to the interview that he isn't involved because they didn't want to split the money equally.

http://www.guitarworld.com/artist-news/izzy-stradlin-gnr-reunion-they-didnt-want-split-loot-equally/29783
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #292 on: September 09, 2016, 06:58:37 AM »

I just want to address this little bit, because I'm not sure who it's directed at.  I don't see ANYONE suggesting he should have had the "foresight" to predict anything.  Nor, really, do I see anyone saying that Izzy shouldn't have done what he did.  If that's what he thought would make him happy and keep him safe, as I've said over and over, then he did what he should have done.

It's not about FORESIGHT, at all...it's more about hindsight.  What happened, happened. For better or worse.  And expecting everyone to ignore it, now, is a little unrealistic.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #293 on: September 09, 2016, 08:22:03 AM »

I just want to address this little bit, because I'm not sure who it's directed at.  I don't see ANYONE suggesting he should have had the "foresight" to predict anything.  Nor, really, do I see anyone saying that Izzy shouldn't have done what he did.  If that's what he thought would make him happy and keep him safe, as I've said over and over, then he did what he should have done.

It's not about FORESIGHT, at all...it's more about hindsight.  What happened, happened. For better or worse.  And expecting everyone to ignore it, now, is a little unrealistic.

I have said he was smart for, quitting the touring aspect of things.  It didn't work for him.

I think it was a bad move to quit the band and the guns partnership. 

Some have said he may not have had a choice (legally) and that it may have worked out in his favor to take a good buy out deal, than fight anything in court.   

But....  Nobody knows this as fact, just speculation.

I for one think he quit because of the money.  I honestly think he thought the band was going to go broke, with lawsuits, late fees, fines, video costs, travel costs, etc.   I think he thought there was more money in it for him to cut ties with the band.  Take his royalties (which are huge) and have zero responsibility for anything to do with the band.

Its fine that he did that, it worked for him....  I don't think it turned out to be the smartest move though overall.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #294 on: September 09, 2016, 08:29:35 AM »

Without getting in to details, we really have no idea why everybody left at different times. All their stories change as time goes on....whatever reason fits the moment seems to be the case. The easy out is to always blame Axl. The reality is way more complex. 5 very different guys with different life experiences.

All I know is that without Axl, you may have never known who these guys are. You can't replicate singers like that. You can replicate drummers and guitar players. A truly great charismatic singer is extremely hard to find. Axl makes it with or without them....maybe not to this extent but somewhere in the ballpark. Just my 2.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #295 on: September 09, 2016, 09:54:27 AM »

Exactly, nobody's expecting for him to have been clairvoyant, but it's perfectly legit to expect that he understand NOW the consequences of his decision from back then.  And not all those consequences are bad.  Had he stayed in a situation that he clearly felt was unhealthy for him, there's a good bet that he would have relapsed to his heavy hardcore drug use of the 80s, which would not have ended well.  Like you said, he made the decision, take the better and the worse.  Anyway, I just hope he decides to get his ass onstage.   
sandman
Legend

« Reply #296 on: September 09, 2016, 10:15:46 AM »

I'm sure Ron Wood gets paid the same as Mick Jagger.  Roll Eyes

I love Izzy, but give me a break. something clearly pissed him off about the reunion, but based on Izzy's life since quitting guns, I don't think he was 100% into a reunion tour. my guess is that he listened to some potential proposals, and since they were not exactly to his expectations (which are unreasonable if he is expecting an equal split), he decided not to get involved. probably a very easy decision for someone that appears to enjoy life out of the spotlight.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #297 on: September 09, 2016, 10:27:04 AM »

Oh the drama.. kinda funny to see some overreactions.

It didnt bother me at all what Izzy said. He didnt think it was fair, the band didnt think his offer was fair. Fair enough. Tongue

So, off the Izzy topic....I just rewatched the interview.

Axls comments on the Slash dinner, and some of his other comments in that vein, really put some of the OTHER band members comments, in an interesting perspective.

It explains why certain members were talking about exciting things coming.

It explains why the "seriously investigating things in that regard" changed so quickly after the 2014 Vegas shows.

It explains Tommy's comments about "leaving it all in Vegas" and puts his comments after leaving in even more perspective than the reunion had til now.

It all sort of fits nicely....
Im kinda lost here, didnt follow the band as close back then. Could you elaborate on those comments?

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #298 on: September 09, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »

/jarmo

I remember Izzy also played YCBM at the Joint in Vegas, I think it was 2014 but I don't remember the exact date. But I do remember seeing him at the Joint with GNR.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #299 on: September 09, 2016, 10:40:59 AM »

/jarmo

I remember Izzy also played YCBM at the Joint in Vegas, I think it was 2014 but I don't remember the exact date. But I do remember seeing him at the Joint with GNR.

I think that was 2012 because Duff was the one who joined for a show in 2014 Vegas
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: