Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:57:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227938 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses' current record company
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses' current record company  (Read 32345 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »

Perhaps he cares too much though. He got a bit of a mualing for CD, and maybe that's thrown him totally, confidence wise. He knows he can't be criticised for something people haven't heard. It could easily be fear.

Oh, I totally agree.

That whole Magical Mystery Vault has enough baggage to fill a 747.  Which is why I think he should just set it all on fucking fire and start over with his current line-up.

If there is one killer riff or two worth saving, fine.  Bring it to the new guys and let them put a spin on it.  But otherwise, free yourself of all that stuff and start fresh.

He looks so happy now.  Build on that.  Don't start looking backwards to bad memories and drama.

If there you was one killer song in this vault we would of heard about it

All these past members could always say.  "Shit I wish I had the rights to that killer riff Axl owns in his Vault".  Or "damn, I really wish I hadn't sold those lyrics to Axl they were killer"

Or

All the stuff we recorded was so so so good. Why won't Axl release it!

We hear nothing.  Which could be a non disclosure deal. But I am more leaning to the side of.  Bucket robin and tommy really don't care about the crap that much. 

We got a lawsuit from Chris for unpaid studio work....   but heard nothing about the quality of that work or what work it was exactly

I honestly don't think Axl has written any thing in many years.   

The reason we do not have a new original gnr music lays solely on Axl himself 
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »

what's the point of having a record company, if you're not going to actually release anything at all?

True. 

And it's why I think they are a convenient boogeyman.  Look how many people around here swallow that wholesale. 

Why is nothing happening?   Well, it must be those bastard covered bastards with bastard filling at that evil record company.  Thwarting that hardest working man in show business, Axl Rose, at every opportunity.  If only those pricks would get out of the way, we'd be swimming in albums!

That's easier for some to say without giving it too much of a critical thought, then having to concede Axl just doesn't really care about that end of the operation anymore.  And hasn't for years.

Perhaps he cares too much though. He got a bit of a mualing for CD, and maybe that's thrown him totally, confidence wise. He knows he can't be criticised for something people haven't heard. It could easily be fear.

That's what I never really understood.  If I recall, the reviews for CD when it came out were good.  The "media" wasn't trashing it.  Now, that didn't translate well to album sales (although I think some here think the album sold just fine) so maybe that's why he checked out.  It can't be because the artwork wasn't finished...right?

Well it did sell very well in Canada and Europe and South America   Hence that's where they toured for years

United States is where hey actually needed a proper marketing strategy
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »

what's the point of having a record company, if you're not going to actually release anything at all?

True. 

And it's why I think they are a convenient boogeyman.  Look how many people around here swallow that wholesale. 

Why is nothing happening?   Well, it must be those bastard covered bastards with bastard filling at that evil record company.  Thwarting that hardest working man in show business, Axl Rose, at every opportunity.  If only those pricks would get out of the way, we'd be swimming in albums!

That's easier for some to say without giving it too much of a critical thought, then having to concede Axl just doesn't really care about that end of the operation anymore.  And hasn't for years.

That's what I never really understood.  If I recall, the reviews for CD when it came out were good.  The "media" wasn't trashing it.  Now, that didn't translate well to album sales (although I think some here think the album sold just fine) so maybe that's why he checked out.  It can't be because the artwork wasn't finished...right?

Well it did sell very well in Canada and Europe and South America   Hence that's where they toured for years

Ok, so if it sold well, and had good reviews, why did he disappear?  IMO, CD suffered from a lack of presence by Axl.  He wasn't out there standing behind it.  It made it seem like he didn't really care about it, and if he's not going to champion it, why should anyone else? 

I also think there is "mainstream" interest in another GnR album (at least one with Axl, Slash and Duff on it).  There has been an incredible amount of acceptance with the NITLT, why wouldn't that translate into interest in a new album? 

Man, I wish I knew some record company folks that could shed light on the obligations/commitments that Guns has to produce more albums (if any).
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »

True. 

Ok, so if it sold well, and had good reviews, why did he disappear?  IMO, CD suffered from a lack of presence by Axl.  He wasn't out there standing behind it.  It made it seem like he didn't really care about it, and if he's not going to champion it, why should anyone else? 

I also think there is "mainstream" interest in another GnR album (at least one with Axl, Slash and Duff on it).  There has been an incredible amount of acceptance with the NITLT, why wouldn't that translate into interest in a new album? 

Man, I wish I knew some record company folks that could shed light on the obligations/commitments that Guns has to produce more albums (if any).

Or the people in guns n roses could actually talk about what's going on with the label and the record company

I think Axl disappeared at that time.   Guys that's what he does.  If he can't control the situation he avoids the situation

I think there is zero anticipation from he general public for a new album isn't there     They like there sweet child of mine and November rain

I never hear anyone talking about a new album.  You don't see reporters writing about it.   Fellow musicians talking about it.    Not a lot of interest
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »

I have come to agree with this, I think the mainstream interest for this band has been demonstrated through the tour right now. If the touring around the release of CD roughly reflects the interest in that particular body of music, I think a new album/single/EP or anything by the current lineup will do very well.

Sales is hardly the measure these days, but with new music I think they can go out on a tour similar to this one in a year or two.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »

I have come to agree with this, I think the mainstream interest for this band has been demonstrated through the tour right now. If the touring around the release of CD roughly reflects the interest in that particular body of music, I think a new album/single/EP or anything by the current lineup will do very well.

Sales is hardly the measure these days, but with new music I think they can go out on a tour similar to this one in a year or two.

The reaction to any song off of CD I have seen live has been luke warm

What I have seen at shows is that the reaction to the hits is huge and then that's it

I am sure the album with the right marketing would sell big though

I just don't see people screaming or demanding to hear something
Just_Me
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2017, 02:59:27 PM »

I think there is zero anticipation from he general public for a new album isn't there     They like there sweet child of mine and November rain

I never hear anyone talking about a new album.  You don't see reporters writing about it.   Fellow musicians talking about it.    Not a lot of interest

I don't know, I've been having this conversation with a lot of different people lately (mainly because I keep instigating it) and whilst you're right that people are quiet about it I don't think the reason is a lack of interest.

When I've brought it up and encouraged/directly asked people what they think responses have fallen into 3 broad categories:
1) It's not worth talking about because it's obviously going to happen. That's what bands do - they tour, then they record and release an album, then they tour again...and so on.
2) It's not worth talking about because it's never going to happen. They're going to tour until they're sick of it and/or have enough money to last the rest of their lives and then go their separate ways again.
3) Don't talk about wanting more, it took long enough to get to this point. Just be happy with what we've got.

Interestingly 1, the fairly neutral reaction is the one I've got most often from non/casual fans, probably because they don't realise that there's anything to complicate that situation. GNR = band = makes and plays music, end of story. Fans are more likely to have the stronger reactions and I've often gotten the distinct impression that they don't want to think about it. I think the cynics don't want to get their hopes up - if they expect the worst anything else is a nice surprise and the people who don't want to talk about it at all almost seem afraid they'll jinx it. It's the same attitude as people who won't let you say "Oh good, it's stopped raining" or "We should be just in time for the bus" because if you talk about something good happening you'll ruin it.

Which oddly enough, in this case, may have some basis in truth because I think people are right about Axl feeling under pressure to live up to expectations and preferring to avoid releasing anything to releasing something which disappoints people. Personally I think he shouldn't give a crap what we think and just release whatever music he wants to make but I accept that he probably doesn't see it that way.

On the subject of album sales lets not forget that GnR fans are not an insignificant group of people. There are a lot of us out there - as this tour is showing. Apparently the most successful album of 2016 in the USA was Adele's 25 which sold just under 2 million copies and was one of just 4 albums to sell over 1 million copies. So if even 1/10th of the people who (ever) bought a copy of either Use Your Illusion album bought the new one they'd wipe the floor with everything else in the charts.

Of course it's hard to predict exactly what would happen, even without factoring in what the album sounds like. The music industry is very different to even 9 years ago when CD came out. We're constantly being told people don't buy music any more, especially younger people, but if people I know are anything to go by rock fans seem to be more inclined to buy music than average, and more likely to buy whole albums than singles. But there's also been a shift in recognition of that which means it's much rarer for an albums success to be judged entirely on sales of physical copies.

All things considered I'd be very surprised if a new GnR album wasn't successful, no matter what it sounded like and I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't sound great. (To me anyway, can't speak for the rest of the world, those people are weird.)
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2017, 03:45:01 PM »

I don't know, I've been having this conversation with a lot of different people lately (mainly because I keep instigating it) and whilst you're right that people are quiet about it I don't think the reason is a lack of interest.

When I've brought it up and encouraged/directly asked people what they think responses have fallen into 3 broad categories:
1) It's not worth talking about because it's obviously going to happen. That's what bands do - they tour, then they record and release an album, then they tour again...and so on.
2) It's not worth talking about because it's never going to happen. They're going to tour until they're sick of it and/or have enough money to last the rest of their lives and then go their separate ways again.
3) Don't talk about wanting more, it took long enough to get to this point. Just be happy with what we've got.

Interestingly 1, the fairly neutral reaction is the one I've got most often from non/casual fans, probably because they don't realise that there's anything to complicate that situation. GNR = band = makes and plays music, end of story. Fans are more likely to have the stronger reactions and I've often gotten the distinct impression that they don't want to think about it. I think the cynics don't want to get their hopes up - if they expect the worst anything else is a nice surprise and the people who don't want to talk about it at all almost seem afraid they'll jinx it. It's the same attitude as people who won't let you say "Oh good, it's stopped raining" or "We should be just in time for the bus" because if you talk about something good happening you'll ruin it.

Which oddly enough, in this case, may have some basis in truth because I think people are right about Axl feeling under pressure to live up to expectations and preferring to avoid releasing anything to releasing something which disappoints people. Personally I think he shouldn't give a crap what we think and just release whatever music he wants to make but I accept that he probably doesn't see it that way.

On the subject of album sales lets not forget that GnR fans are not an insignificant group of people. There are a lot of us out there - as this tour is showing. Apparently the most successful album of 2016 in the USA was Adele's 25 which sold just under 2 million copies and was one of just 4 albums to sell over 1 million copies. So if even 1/10th of the people who (ever) bought a copy of either Use Your Illusion album bought the new one they'd wipe the floor with everything else in the charts.

Of course it's hard to predict exactly what would happen, even without factoring in what the album sounds like. The music industry is very different to even 9 years ago when CD came out. We're constantly being told people don't buy music any more, especially younger people, but if people I know are anything to go by rock fans seem to be more inclined to buy music than average, and more likely to buy whole albums than singles. But there's also been a shift in recognition of that which means it's much rarer for an albums success to be judged entirely on sales of physical copies.

All things considered I'd be very surprised if a new GnR album wasn't successful, no matter what it sounded like and I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't sound great. (To me anyway, can't speak for the rest of the world, those people are weird.)

My thought, and this total speculation on my part, is what if he doesn?t want to release anything, while at the same time he doesn?t want people to know that he doesn?t want to release anything.  Then, he would have to keep up this charade of having an album recorded, very seriously thinking about it, didn?t write it all to not get it released, etc., etc.  Simply put: he may not want to, but just doesn?t want that to negatively affect what is going on with Guns. 

I continue to believe that if he was hell bent on getting new music out there, he would find a way to do it.  He?s Axl-fucking Rose.  He could make it happen.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2017, 05:34:07 PM »

They don't really need a record company, just sell physical copies at shows and a digital album download from their web site.

People would pirate it anyway whether it was release thru traditional channels or not.

Damn shame the record industry is destroyed, it really hinders artist from putting a lot of time and energy and money into making truly great music.  We're looking at the last generation of legacy artists.

Any rock band who havent established themselves by now arent going to be selling concert tickets at $250 per seat or sell 6 million copies of an album years from now no matter how good they may be or how well of a career they have. Its a pretty shitty era to be an up and coming rock star.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:40:22 PM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2017, 12:08:24 PM »

They don't really need a record company, just sell physical copies at shows and a digital album download from their web site.

People would pirate it anyway whether it was release thru traditional channels or not.

Damn shame the record industry is destroyed, it really hinders artist from putting a lot of time and energy and money into making truly great music.  We're looking at the last generation of legacy artists.

Any rock band who havent established themselves by now arent going to be selling concert tickets at $250 per seat or sell 6 million copies of an album years from now no matter how good they may be or how well of a career they have. Its a pretty shitty era to be an up and coming rock star.

A band like GNR would never even get out of the starting blocks now. The blame is fully on each and every person who thinks music isn't something worth paying. Fuck each and every of them- they're not fans of music, they're fucking vultures. And they'll use every excuse and reason in the book to justify the simple fact that they don;t want to put their hands in their pocket. It's tragic to see something I love so much stripped so bare. But all I can do is keeping buying music and support the bands and musicians I love.

Went for a drink with a friend of mine last night, who really isn't a GNR fan at all, and he was asking about the tour, and how the concerts were. He then asked me 'what are they going to next?". What a question!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2017, 12:49:52 PM »

The reaction to any song off of CD I have seen live has been luke warm

What I have seen at shows is that the reaction to the hits is huge and then that's it

I am sure the album with the right marketing would sell big though

The Chinese Democracy tour did ok, but it was nothing like we are seeing today.

I think that roughly reflects people's interest in Chinese Democracy as an album, it did ok.

Sure, the name "Axl" and "GN'R" drew a big percentage, But looking at the sales of the album and the numbers for the touring, it seems to relate.

If the turnout we are seeing on today's tour roughly reflects how many people would be interested in hearing new music by this lineup, new music will do very well.

Sales of a new album isn't important in today's environment, it's how good its ability is to draw crowds to a future tour that counts.

I just don't see people screaming or demanding to hear something

For now, people I've seen are just excited to get to see Axl, Slash and Duff back together. That's clearly the purpose of the tour as well, a sort of 'comeback' - greatest hits show.

Judging by the amount of people leaving the shows feeling satisfied with the experience, I can't see any reason for the majority of them not returning to hear new things in the future. A lot of people are clearly fans of this band ? a lot more with Slash and Duff being back.

Sweetness is a virtue
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2017, 01:31:04 PM »

While CD did get OK reviews and the sales weren't absolutely dreadful, there is DEFINITELY an opinion among the general public that it's shit. Most of them never even bothered listening to it of course, but I've had so so many people say to me "ah, they did that fucking awful album." This isn't people who are really into the band, but it is the general opinion I think. Along with- Axl is a dickhead, the band are always late, SCOM and the top hat.  I know plenty of people who seem to actively despise Axl, and I've never quite worked out why really, other than a general negative media perception that has pervaded over the past 20 years or so. I'd be surprised if this perception hasn't filtered through to Axl at least in part. It must have a massive knock on confidence.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »

While CD did get OK reviews and the sales weren't absolutely dreadful, there is DEFINITELY an opinion among the general public that it's shit. Most of them never even bothered listening to it of course, but I've had so so many people say to me "ah, they did that fucking awful album." This isn't people who are really into the band, but it is the general opinion I think. Along with- Axl is a dickhead, the band are always late, SCOM and the top hat.  I know plenty of people who seem to actively despise Axl, and I've never quite worked out why really, other than a general negative media perception that has pervaded over the past 20 years or so. I'd be surprised if this perception hasn't filtered through to Axl at least in part. It must have a massive knock on confidence.

Most of the people attending the shows during the CD tour were among the people who gave the album a chance at least. If they liked it or not, that's hard to tell.

Now, we're seeing the venues ? stadiums filling up. The additional people who are coming out now aren't big fans of CD I think, but they love the combination of Axl, Slash and Duff. They need these people to fill up venues this size, and I think they can sustain it with new music coming from that particular lineup.

Sweetness is a virtue
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »

Most of the people attending the shows during the CD tour were among the people who gave the album a chance at least. If they liked it or not, that's hard to tell.

Now, we're seeing the venues ? stadiums filling up. The additional people who are coming out now aren't big fans of CD I think, but they love the combination of Axl, Slash and Duff. They need these people to fill up venues this size, and I think they can sustain it with new music coming from that particular lineup.

I'm not convinced though that a new album would make them turn out again, at high ticket prices. This has sold on being a one off deal. Would new music actually pull in the casuals again?

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »

I'm not convinced though that a new album would make them turn out again, at high ticket prices. This has sold on being a one off deal. Would new music actually pull in the casuals again?

I'm just making the argument that more people will be interested in new music by Axl, Slash and Duff compared to Chinese Democracy. Since the Chinese tour did pretty good after all, a new tour with new music by this lineup will (in my head at least) do even better.

It's like you said, many people didn't even listen to the album, and that was just because Slash wasn't there I suspect.

Sweetness is a virtue
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »

I'm just making the argument that more people will be interested in new music by Axl, Slash and Duff compared to Chinese Democracy. Since the Chinese tour did pretty good after all, a new tour with new music by this lineup will (in my head at least) do even better.

It's like you said, many people didn't even listen to the album, and that was just because Slash wasn't there I suspect.

Agreed. He's the reason the live crowds have stepped up, for sure. The worry of course is if he goes again.

The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »

I can't speak for anywhere else, but in the UK, the 2010 in particular but to a less degree in 2012 the general economy had a part to play, and given the timing of CD being released and the world financial crisis, wouldn't have help casual sales either. I am definately not saying this is the whole story, far from it, but just putting a little context into how much disposible may have effected things at that time. Not to mention the downloaf mother fuckers...
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »

a new GNR album with this line up would sell 20 times more than a new GNR album from Chinese Democracy era
People want to see/listen to Slash, Axl (and also Duff) together. Simple as that  beer

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2017, 12:42:36 AM »

a new GNR album with this line up would sell 20 times more than a new GNR album from Chinese Democracy era
People want to see/listen to Slash, Axl (and also Duff) together. Simple as that

Yep, and get Steven and Izzy involved and advertise it as a full GNR reunion.  Sales appeal would be the best since.... well, since before the original band broke up.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2017, 06:53:41 AM »

People want to see/listen to Slash, Axl (and also Duff) together. Simple as that

Yep, and get Steven and Izzy involved and advertise it as a full GNR reunion.  Sales appeal would be the best since.... well, since before the original band broke up.

I can't imagine Izzy being part of any record deal these days. Too much commitment! His solo stuff is self released right?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: