Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 01:11:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227886 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The Official NHL 2007/2008 Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official NHL 2007/2008 Thread  (Read 89781 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 07:48:23 PM »

Oilers cry foul over Nylander deal

EDMONTON (CP) - The Edmonton Oilers have complained to the NHL that they had Michael Nylander before the Washington Capitals did.

In a statement Tuesday, the Oilers said Nylander had signed with the Oilers on Sunday, only to then sign a US$19.5-million, four-year contract with the Capitals the next day.

To make matters worse, the Oilers say they held off going after other potential free agents because they thought they had Nylander in the bag. The 34-year-old Swede was one of the top catches on the free-agent market, setting career highs in goals (26), assists (57) and points (83) with the New York Rangers last season.

"On Sunday, July 1, 2007, Kevin Lowe, Oilers general manager, and Mr. Mike Gillis, certified agent for Michael Nylander, negotiated and agreed to a multi-year NHL Standard Players Contract, starting in 2007-08. Mr. Gillis confirmed same to the Oilers in writing," the Oilers' statement read Tuesday.

"The Oilers then proceeded with preparations to announce Mr. Nylander's contract agreement on July 2, and concurrently continued with the process of negotiating with other free agents based upon Mr. Nylander being an important roster ingredient for the future.

"However, while the Oilers were expecting the returned signed agreements from Mr. Nylander and Mr. Gillis, the Oilers discovered through public announcements made mid-afternoon on July 2, that Mr. Nylander had subsequently entered into a long-term contract with the Capitals.

"The Oilers can find no precedent for such conduct in our history. The Oilers are examining and pursuing every course of action available in the best interest of the team and our fans.

"For legal reasons, the Edmonton Oilers hockey club will not be discussing the details any further at this time."

A lawyer for the Oilers could not provide contract details on the Edmonton deal.

Calls to both Lowe and Gillis by The Canadian Press were not immediately returned Tuesday. The NHL also did not have an immediate response. A call into Caps GM George McPhee was also not returned. 

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
sandman
Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 07:06:02 AM »

philly, detroit and NY (big market teams) are signing stud free agents from buffalo, nashville, and jersey (small market teams).

seems like the same old NHL.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 10:57:20 AM »

Oilers sign goaltender Mathieu Garon

The Edmonton Oilers have signed free agent goaltender Mathieu Garon to a two-year contract.

Ducks sign May to a two-year contract

The Anaheim Ducks have signed left winger Brad May to a two-year contract.

Wild sign Belanger to a three-year deal

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Minnesota Wild re-signed centre Wes Welz to a one-year deal on Tuesday and also added veteran centre Eric Belanger and goaltender Nolan Schaefer.

Canucks sign Sanford to back up Luongo

The Canucks have signed goaltender Curtis Sanford to a one-year deal worth $600,000.

Lightning sign defenceman Lukowich

TAMPA BAY ? The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed unrestricted free agent Brad Lukowich to a three-year contract.

Stuart agrees to one-year deal with Kings

The Los Angeles Kings continue to be major players in the free agent market.  The Kings have agreed to a one-year, $3.5-million contract with free agent defenceman Brad Stuart.

Oilers re-sign Torres to three-year pact

The Edmonton Oilers have resigned restricted free agent Raffi Torres to a three-year, $6.75-million contract.

Kings sign LaBarbera to two-year deal

LOS ANGELES ? The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to terms on a two-year contract with restricted free agent goaltender Jason LaBarbera.

Crosby, Penguins working on extension

Based on the free spending and length of contracts handed out this week, can you imagine the chaos that would erupt with Sidney Crosby available in unrestricted free agency?Crosby isn't eligible until 2012, but he is entering the final year of his entry level contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins.Discussions between the Penguins and Crosby's agent Pat Brisson are ongoing with the expectation an extension will be announced soon.

Toskala signs extension with Maple Leafs

The Toronto Maple Leafs and netminder Vesa Toskala have agreed to a two-year, $8 million contract extension.

Iginla, Regehr staying with Flames

The Calgary Flames have signed team captain Jarome Iginla and Robyn Regehr to 5-year, contract extensions, the club announced Wednesday.Financial details were not released but Iginla's contract is believed to be worth an average of $7 million per season and Regehr's worth $4 million per season. Both contracts will start after the 2007/08 season.

Thrashers re-sign forward Kozlov

ATLANTA (CP) - The Atlanta Thrashers have re-signed unrestricted free-agent forward Vyacheslav Kozlov to an US$11-million, three-year deal.The 35-year-old Russian recorded a career-high 80 points (28-52) in 81 games with the Thrashers last season, his fourth with the team. The 5-10, 190-pound winger ranked second on the team in points and assists, and finished third in goals.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 12:57:49 PM by Malcolm » Logged

KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 11:49:48 AM »

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Jeremy Roenick is retiring, a newspaper reported, after an 18-year NHL career in which he became the third-leading American goal-scorer in league history.

Roenick, a nine-time all-star who played with four teams, sent a text message to a reporter at The Philadelphia Inquirer reading, "I'm retiring; is that still news?" The story was posted on the paper's website Wednesday.

The 37-year-old centre was also an outspoken critic of the lockout that wiped away the 2004-05 season.

"It doesn't matter who wins or loses this anymore," he said when the work stoppage was nearing an end in June 2005. "It isn't about that now. It's about getting a deal and getting the game back on the ice."

Roenick played in 70 games last season for Phoenix, his second stint with the Coyotes, and had said late in the season he was considering retirement. He became a free agent on July 1.

Coyotes president Doug Moss told The Associated Press he was unaware of Roenick's decision. A message left with Roenick's agent was not immediately returned and calls to the player's home in Paradise Valley, Ariz., were not answered.

Before coming to Phoenix last season, Roenick played for Los Angeles and spent three seasons with Philadelphia from 2001-04.

Roenick, a Boston native, began his career with Chicago in 1988 and scored 258 of his 495 career goals there, including a career-best 53 in 1991-92, the year his Blackhawks made it to only the Stanley Cup final of his career. They were swept by Pittsburgh in four games.

The only American-born players with more goals than Roenick, a two-time Olympian, are Mike Modano (507) and Joey Mullen (502).

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 06:33:24 PM »

Devils sign Weekes to back up Brodeur

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (CP) - The New Jersey Devils signed goaltender Kevin Weekes to a US$1.375-million, two-year contract Thursday to back up superstar starter Martin Brodeur.

Flames sign UFA defenceman Eriksson

The Calgary Flames announced Thursday the signing of defenceman Anders Eriksson to a two-year contract

Penguins sign Talbot and Christensen

PITTSBURGH (CP) - The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-signed forwards Max Talbot and Erik Christensen to two-year contracts.Talbot will earn US$1.35 million over the two years, $650,000 next season and $700,000 in 2008-09. Financial terms were not immediately available for Christensen.

Rangers re-sign forward Prucha

The New York Rangers announced Saturday that the club has agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Petr Prucha.

Avalanche sign Svatos to one-year deal

DENVER (CP) - The Colorado Avalanche have re-signed restricted free-agent forward Marek Svatos to a US$1.2-million, one-year deal.

Habs sign Plekanec to two-year contract

MONTREAL (CP) - The Montreal Canadiens have re-signed restricted free-agent forward Tomas Plekanec to a two-year contract while also signing free-agent defencemen Mathieu Biron and Jamie Rivers to one-year contracts.

Guerin inks two-year deal with Islanders

The New York Islanders today signed veteran forward Bill Guerin to a two-year contract worth $4.5 million a year.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 06:58:11 PM »

LOL@Devils sign Weekes. Good riddance kevin!
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 08:47:42 PM »

Islanders sign Comrie to one-year deal

Uniondale, NY (Sports Network) - The New York Islanders continued their busy Thursday as the team signed forwards Mike Comrie and Tim Jackman to one-year deals.

Sabres add Thibault, re-sign Peters, Ryan

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Jocelyn Thibault signed a one-year contract with the Sabres on Thursday, as Buffalo bolstered its backup goaltending depth through free agency.Thibault is a 13-year NHL veteran who spent the past two seasons as a backup in Pittsburgh. He had a 7-8-2 record and 2.83 goals-against average in 22 games with the Penguins last season.Slated to play behind Sabres starter Ryan Miller, Thibault is an upgrade over former backup Ty Conklin, who played in only five games after Buffalo acquired him in February after trading veteran backup Martin Biron to Philadelphia.
Conklin is a free agent this summer."Jocelyn will bring veteran experience to our team," general manager Darcy Regier said. "We think he will be a great fit."The Sabres also re-signed two players, unrestricted free agent forward Michael Ryan to a one-year contract and enforcer Andrew Peters, who signed a two-year deal.

Bouchard signs one-year deal with Wild

The Minnesota Wild re-signed forward Pierre-Marc Bouchard to a one-year contract avoiding a potential arbitration hearing.  As per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Hasek agrees to one-year deal with Wings

DETROIT (AP) - Dominik Hasek and the Detroit Red Wings agreed to terms of a one-year contract Thursday that is worth more than US$2 million in base salary and gives the 42-year-old goalie a chance to earn an additional $2 million in bonuses."It's a lot less than he should be making," Hasek's agent Ritch Winter said. "It's one of the few deals that I do in which the player, the club and the agent agree the player is worth $5 (million) or $6 million and we talk it down from there.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 01:08:14 AM by Malcolm » Logged

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 12:30:18 PM »

The Edmonton Oilers have made a huge splash in the restricted free agent pool.

Sources tell TSN that the team has signed forward Thomas Vanek to a seven-year, $50 million offer sheet, a signing that carries a price tag of four first round picks as compensation to the Buffalo Sabres if the team chooses not to retain him.

The Sabres have called a media conference for 12:30pm et/9:30am pt to address the news.

The deal would pay Vanek $5 million in the first two seasons, and $6.4 million in each of the following five seasons. The contract will also pay him a $5 million and $3 million signing bonus in the first two years.?

EDIT:

Sabres Match Oilers' Offer To Thomas Vanek

Managing Partner Larry Quinn and General Manager Darcy Regier announced Friday that the Sabres will match the offer sheet made by the Edmonton Oilers. WGR has learned through a league source that the offer sheet will pay Vanek $15 million in the first two years, including $10 million for the first year. The total of the contract is 7 years, $50 million.

Quinn said often during the press conference that the Sabres were prepared for this scenario.

Regier said, "The reality is that the marketplace dictates the value and that the agent knew the best place was to go shopping for a contact. You can't blame the agent. It is was he was supposed to be doing. We fully forwarned Edmonton what we would do."

« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:41:13 PM by Loaded NightraiN » Logged
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 01:57:59 PM »

wow

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 07:30:06 PM »

Wow what a huge blow to buffalo that would've been.
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 07:36:24 PM »

You no I really dont see why more Gm's dont do this...Like if they offer them a huge contract, and the other team has to match it, it ups there salary cap, so wouldnt that be a good strategy to eliminate competition?

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 07:40:15 PM »

You no I really dont see why more Gm's dont do this...Like if they offer them a huge contract, and the other team has to match it, it ups there salary cap, so wouldnt that be a good strategy to eliminate competition?

Yeah but its a bigger risk if the team dosent match, the the other team is stuck with it... Plus I dobut this was edmontons way of thinking... They're in the western conferece and all....
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 08:40:34 PM »

Minnesota signs defenceman Sean Hill

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Sean Hill, the first NHL player suspended for violating the league's drug policy, signed a one-year deal with the Minnesota Wild on Friday.The 37-year-old defenceman played for the New York Islanders last season and was suspended hours before their playoff loss to Buffalo on April 20. He received a 20-game suspension and will miss the first 19 games of this season.

Leafs ink Clemmensen

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Friday that the club has signed goaltender Scott Clemmensen to a one-year contract.
''Scott is an experienced professional goaltender, who will provide depth in the organization at that position,'' vice-president and general manager John Ferguson said.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 02:06:56 PM by Malcolm » Logged

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2007, 02:06:44 PM »

Can someone please explain to me what Arbitration is? and what happens when a player goes?

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2007, 08:39:21 PM »

Arbitration is when a restricted free agent and a team cant agree on a deal.... They go in front of an arbitrator and he decides on the amount the player should get... Its up to the team weather to keep them or not... If the team passes, anyone who signs him has to agree to the terms of the arbitrator....

The best example I can give you is, Briere last year in buffalo... The arbitrator ruled he was worth 5 mil for one year...
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2007, 09:33:13 PM »

Ok many thanks...I got it now

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2007, 06:24:04 PM »

Senators promote Paddock as head coach

Bryan Murray didn't have to look far to find his successor as head coach of the Ottawa Senators.Murray promoted Senators assistant John Paddock to the head job Friday, filling the vacancy created when Murray took over as general manager after John Muckler was fired June 18.

Coyotes sign York to 1-year, $1M contract

The Phoenix Coyotes have signed forward Mike York to a one-year contract.  TSN has learned the deal is worth $1 Million. In 66 games last season split between the Flyers and Islanders, York scored 10 goals and collected 11 assists.  In 515 career games, York has 121 goals, 187 assists and 308 points.

Canucks sign defenseman Miller

The Vancouver Canucks continue to bolster their blue line as they announced the signing of unrestricted free-agent Aaron Miller. It is a 1-year contract worth $1.5 million. Miller played in all 82 games for the Los Angeles Kings last season, registering 8 assists and accumulating 60 penalty minutes.

Red Wings ink Drake to one-year deal

Red Wings General Manager Ken Holland today announced the team has agreed to contract terms with forward Dallas Drake on a one-year contract.In keeping with club policy, additional terms of the deal are not available.

Bieksa agrees to 3-year extension

The Vancouver Canucks signed defenceman Kevin Bieksa to a US$11.25-million, three-year contract extension Monday.
The 26-year-old Grimsby, Ont., native had 12 goals and led all Canucks defencemen with 30 assists and 42 points last season.The extension runs through the 2010-'11 campaign. He will get $4.25 million in 2008-'09 and $3.5 million in each of the final two seasons. Bieksa will make $550,000 next season.

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2007, 07:12:25 PM »

And again nothing relevant for the Sabres.... Although I do think Thibault is an upgrade from Biron...
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2007, 07:21:13 PM »

The Isles are making newly signed Bill Guerin captain. I never like to see a free agent come in and instantly get the captaincy when that team made the playoffs a year before. Not that Yashin was much of a captain.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2007, 07:24:17 PM »

The Isles are making newly signed Bill Guerin captain. I never like to see a free agent come in and instantly get the captaincy when that team made the playoffs a year before. Not that Yashin was much of a captain.

Hey works for me  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: