Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:55:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Metallica thread
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 137 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica thread  (Read 450752 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2520 on: June 17, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »

Bulgaria's revenue service target Metallica and Rammstein concerts in Sofia

Thu, Jun 17 2010

Strong interest in the Sonisphere Festival, Sofia Rocks, will see agents from the National Revenue Agency (NRA), along with police,  deployed in and around the Vassil Levski national stadium, conducting inspections before the June 22-23 concerts, Bulgarian media reports.

All entrances at the Vassil Levski national stadium will be staffed by agents who are set to conduct "thorough" and "meticulous" checks on tickets. The investigation will be ongoing during the Park Live festival and Sofia Rocks festival.

Reportedly, NRA agents will be deployed at Sofia airport's Terminal 2 where the Park Live festival will be held. Additionally, NRA agents and police will monitor the number of people passing through turnstiles at the national ground and will investigate the authenticity of tickets and passes for entry. They will also assess and report on revenue generated from the concert.

Police and inspectors will also target people outside the ground trying to pass on fake tickets or tickets at inflated prices. Retailers outside the ground who sell souvenirs, umbrellas, drinks and food, or any other merchandise, will also be inspected.

The Park Live festival will be held near Sofia airport at Terminal 2 between June 18-20. It will feature Babyface Clan, Bluba Lu, Gotan Project, Groove Armada, Morcheeba, The Singas Project, 3D Disco, Adam Freeland, Coldcut Energy Union and DJ Cadik, among others.

Meanwhile, at Vassil Levski national stadium, in the centre of Sofia, Metallica, Slayer, Manowar, Alice In Chains, Megadeth, Mastodon, Anthrax, Rammstein and Stone Sour ? have been confirmed to play in the Sofia Rocks Festival, part of the Sonisphere Festival's series, in Sofia on June 22-23.

Organisers have already confirmed the Bulgarian bands performing in the festival. Bastardolomey will warm up Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax, whereas Shre4 will perform on the second day, June 23, to be headlined by Rammstein.

http://www.sofiaecho.com/2010/06/17/918885_bulgarias-revenue-service-target-metallica-and-rammstein-concerts-in-sofia

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2521 on: June 24, 2010, 12:18:09 PM »

This is an interview with James Hetfield on "Fashion Poland" Good Morning TVN when then played at Sonisphere Poland on June 16th. 

Interview with the leader of Metallica

20/06/2010

http://dziendobrytvn.plejada.pl/25,34744,news,1,1,wywiad_z_liderem_metalliki,aktualnosci_detal.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5awWqdLeiE

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2522 on: June 25, 2010, 01:02:13 PM »

THE BIG FOUR INTERVIEW: METALLICA?S ROB TRUJILLO

Friday, June 25, 2010

We caught up with the Metallica bassist to chat about his favourite metal bands, his musical inspirations and experimenting with his technique.

http://uk.sonispherefestivals.com/2010/06/the-big-four-interview-metallica%E2%80%99s-rob-trujillo/

BumbleBuzz
Rocker

Guns N' Roses Strong Since 1999!

« Reply #2523 on: June 26, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glee-to-do-a-tribute-episode-to-Metallicas-And-Justice-for-All-Please/121559401201793

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glee-to-do-a-tribute-episode-to-Metallicas-And-Justice-for-All-Please/121559401201793

2006.06.09 - Dublin, Ireland
2006.07.29 - London, England
2010.09.01 - Dublin, Ireland
2012.05.17 - Dublin, Ireland
2012.05.23 - Newcastle, England
2017.07.17 - London, England
BumbleBuzz
Rocker

Guns N' Roses Strong Since 1999!

« Reply #2524 on: June 26, 2010, 12:24:01 PM »

Fan Can 6 out later this Summer, including some pretty good Copenhagen Footage from 2009

2006.06.09 - Dublin, Ireland
2006.07.29 - London, England
2010.09.01 - Dublin, Ireland
2012.05.17 - Dublin, Ireland
2012.05.23 - Newcastle, England
2017.07.17 - London, England
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2525 on: July 14, 2010, 01:31:49 PM »

Metallica finally laugh at Napster

July 15, 2010

NAPSTER has been a dark digital cloud hanging over Metallica for 10 years. Now, drummer Lars Ulrich can finally laugh about it.

ALL it took was one sentence for Russell Brand to confront the elephant in the cinema.

It's in the midst of Get Him to the Greek, where Brand plays chemically enhanced rocker Aldous Snow.

His wife, played by Rose Byrne, is having an affair with Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich, who makes a fairly effortless cameo playing himself.

After a bit of argy-bargy post some hanky-panky, Brand as Snow hits Ulrich, as Ulrich, where it hurts by stating, Why don't you go and sue Napster you Danish twat?

Napster has been a dark digital cloud hanging over Metallica, and in particular Ulrich, for 10 years.

Napster was an online music filesharing site that became the face of the illegal downloading world that has crippled the music industry since.

Back in 2000 when their lawyers found an early version of one of their as-yet-unreleased songs traded on Napster, as well as their entire back catalogue, Metallica swung into action.

Ulrich handed over the names of more than 300,000 Napster users breaching Metallica's copyrights by downloading and trading their songs for free.

Soon Metallica, who had always been seen as the band of the people, were the bad guys the out-of-touch multimillionaire musicians using their expensive lawyers to sue the very fans who'd helped make them rich.

"This is not about Metallica and its fans, this is about Metallica and Napster," Ulrich said at the time.

The backlash was intense, from fans and media. Indeed when the band almost self-combusted in 2001 (painstakingly captured on the Some Kind of Monster documentary) many felt the Napster experience nearly killed the group.

However in 2010, Ulrich has found the funny side of Napster greenlighting the Russell Brand joke.

"It's part of the legacy, for better or worse," he says.

"The best thing you can do is try to make people understand you're at a point where you're comfortable getting a few laughs out of it. It wasn't a lot of fun 10 years ago . . .

"I'm not going to bulls--- you, it was a very difficult time.

"It's something that still makes me a little uneasy. It was a mindf--- how we got caught up in that whole thing."

Ulrich admits the band were caught off guard by the then little- known downloading phenomenon ("We certainly underestimated people's perceptions of the whole thing), but distances himself from a recent quote saying they have been proven right with their Napster stanceeven with the negative impact file sharing has had on all sectors of the music industry.

"As you see the demise of all these models that have existed for decades, I don' t find any glory patting ourselves on the back saying, 'Look, we were right'," Ulrich says.

"Other people say that. I try not to say a lot about it. I don't find glory in any of it. It's part of the demise of so much.

"Certainly not so much for us but so many other people have lost their jobs and their ability to depend on music for an income, for their livelihood.

"Other bands have difficulties getting going because of lack of money for gear or recording.

"Record companies are signing fewer bands and putting less money into them."

Ulrich, he wants you to know, is not anti-internet.

"We're responsible for about 10 per cent of Apple's profits each year our house is a Steve Jobs shrine in full effect," he says.

However he is old-school and prefers to buy CDs Them Crooked Vultures, the Dead Weather, Slash, Kasabian and the Stones are his most recent purchases.

One item that remains gathering dust in his collection is the Some Kind of Monster DVD.

The movie captures the fractured recording of the St Anger album, singer James Hetfields stint in rehab and the hiring of cardigan-wearing therapist and performance enhancement coach Phil Towle.

The film has become a modern-day Spinal Tapeven if only in a what not to do fashion for other bands.

"Every time I see Noel Gallagher he quotes lines from that movie back to me," Ulrich laughs.

"That thing has taken on a life of its own. I had to live that s--- for three f---ing years!

"The whole thing was a mindf---.

"I am aware a lot of other musicians seem to have lived a lot of those moments. They weren't necessarily stupid enough to film them like we were and share them with the rest of the world."

Ulrich admits he's proud the band survived the whole torturous process.

"The internal dynamic in this band is so radically different now, it's difficult to relate to that film now. It has a thirdperson vibe. If I see a clip of it or think about it it's more like something that happened to someone else."

Fast-forward to July 2010 and Metallica are 24 months into a world tour that will end in Melbourne on November 21.

Things have changed. They now tour in two-week pods ("We have a thing about going home and hanging out with our kids and not missing out on them growing up") and keep fit on the road.

"We still have a few late nights, but they're late nights more than early mornings," Ulrich says.

"A few glasses of wine or a few too many glasses of wine, but it never gets so next-level we end up in a gutter somewhere."

Their audiences, Ulrich says, are getting younger and younger.

Having a hit video game, their own dedicated Guitar Hero, hasn't hurt.

"It's pretty cool to have your own video game when you have a couple of kids who are eight and 11, that helps in the Cool Dad factor," Ulrich says.

"I've sat and played Guitar Hero Metallica with my kids, that doesn't suck. Any time you get to give yourself more hair and make yourself a little buffer and take away one or two of the chins that's always good."

Their appeal to a new generation (In places like Oslo half the audience are 10 and younger, Ulrich says) goes deeper.

A lot of kids are getting turned on to our stuff by their parents who grew up with us.

"Somehow the music from the 80s Metallica and Megadeth and Slayer and 70s stuff like Thin Lizzy and Deep Purple and Black Sabbath they seem to have a relevance to kids these days. They seem to connect with it.

"Look back to the 90s, the rap rock, nu metal and grunge.

"A lot of that stuff had more commercial elements to it. I'm generalising here. Obviously Nirvana were a great band, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jamsensationalbut all the stuff in the wake of that had more of a product vibe to it. For every Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit there were 100 clones.

"A lot of hard-rock stuff from the 80s and 70s has sustained and survived in the same way a lot of the stuff from the 90s has been disregarded."

The band have just shared a stage with guitarist Dave Mustaine, booted out of Metallica in 1983 for alcohol and drug abuse he went on to form Megadeth.

Former bassist Jason Newstead also rejoined the band on stage when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year.

Ulrich is relieved there's now no bad blood with their former bandmates.

"We've been through too much. That's what survives; all the s--- talking falls to the wayside. It has no real legs. It becomes momentary. The experiences you've had making music will last forever."

Next year is Metallica's 30th anniversary. There'll be no greatest hits (Those albums are horses - They always have questionable undertones, Ulrich says) and after 30 months on the road fans shouldn't expect a follow-up to 2008's Death Magnetic any time soon.

There is a good vibe in the band now, everyone's having fun and getting along, Ulrich says.

"Things are real easy and borderline pleasant, I know that doesn't sound very rock and roll, but it would surprise me if it'd be a year before we start making a new album.

"I think we'll have three to six months of lying down.

"There's a good chance the turnaround would be less than it's been on previous cycles.

"I've heard myself say that in interviews before . . ."

And as for celebrating their third decade?

"Thirty years is a pretty major achievement for a band like us who've burned the candle at about three ends over the years.

"The fact we're still somewhat functioning and not only able to put sentences together but play music is obviously some kind of achievement that should be celebrated.

"I'm not sure if that should be done in public or with a quiet prayer at home. I'm sure something will come up.

"Something always comes up. We're not very good at sitting at home.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/music/metallica-finally-laugh-at-napster/story-e6frexl9-1225891728695

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #2526 on: July 15, 2010, 07:39:44 PM »

Metallica's live in Mexico dvd rocks, check it out folks.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2527 on: July 16, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »

It does! So does the Paris france one.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2528 on: July 16, 2010, 05:05:06 AM »

Ive got to get those live DVDS soon.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2529 on: July 16, 2010, 04:26:45 PM »

Ive got to get those live DVDS soon.

Get the special edition of the Mexico City one. I got it off Amazon. It was like $85 dollars cause its an import. It was so worth it though. The two DVDS have 3 hours of live footage. It also comes with audio cds of DVD 1.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #2530 on: July 18, 2010, 06:15:04 PM »

I was looking for that one but couldn't find it.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2531 on: July 18, 2010, 06:22:48 PM »

I was looking for that one but couldn't find it.

I purchased it from here. http://store.universal-music.co.uk/invt/0602527208312?_lm_esp=2-22-62
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #2532 on: August 25, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »

The Big 4 DVD Release
From Bulgaria to your local theatre to your living room or wherever you might enjoy a little live metal on the screen...

You may have heard us say something about a DVD at the end of the satellite broadcast or read it in the internet rumor mill . . . it's true, there will be a DVD release of the Big 4 show from Sofia, Bulgaria!! We had such an awesome time hanging with Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer and the cameras were already rolling, so why not?

Here's the scoop: The DVD hits the streets on October 15 in Northern Europe, October 18 in most of the rest of the world, October 19 in North America and the full shows from all four bands will be included in the two disc set along with behind the scenes and interview footage. In addition to the two DVD set and the corresponding Blu-ray, there will be a limited edition "super deluxe" box set including the DVD set, five CD's with ALL the music, a 24 page booklet, a poster, photos of each band, and a Big 4 guitar pick.

The clever title of the DVD is "The Big 4 Live From Sofia, Bulgaria" (yes, that's really it!!) and you if you're interested in the box set, we'll have a pre-order in the Metallica Store for you shortly. And as always, keep watching metallica.com for more details.

I wish my favorite band would release dvds like metallica
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2533 on: October 17, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »

From an interview with Lars Ulrich from Oct. 7th.

Metallica: "Everybody's playing nice"

"It's kind of ... I don't think pathetic is the word," he laughs, "but there is an underlying sweetness to the whole thing now. Everything's cool. Everybody's getting along. We're having a good time. It's stress free."

But even though Metallica eventually let Towle go, believing they no longer required his services, today Ulrich stands by the sessions and what came out of them.

"A lot of the ground work of what's going on now was laid during those years. It was rough. We had to re-evaluate, reconnect, and James had to deal with some things he had to deal with. And Phil said that during all those dark years, all the work would probably not manifest itself, or come to fruition until the next record, and he was right. So we're seeing the result of that now rather than back then."

He admits St Anger - a clangy and difficult sounding album - was not the record they hoped it would be and they don't play any songs off it on the current tour.

"It obviously felt right at the time but it was a peculiar record."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/concerts/news/article.cfm?c_id=161&objectid=10678582

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2534 on: October 21, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »

This is the video premier of Metallica's "Sad But True" from "The Big Four Live From Sofia" DVD.

http://www.myspace.com/music/videos?videoId=106862097#pm_cmp=mce_con_music_bilboard_metallica

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2535 on: October 31, 2010, 02:20:42 PM »

When you wish upon a heavy metal star

Jamie Morton | 28th October 2010

When teenaged cancer battler Jed Roberts was given the chance to meet his heavy metal heroes Metallica this month, nothing else mattered.

Even the violent sickness brought on by intensive chemotherapy treatment couldn't keep the 17-year-old from Papamoa back.

The hardy Mount Maunganui College pupil, who began chemotherapy just days after being diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia last September, met all four members of his favourite band backstage through the charitable foundation Make-A-Wish New Zealand.

His father, Dean Roberts, said his family "couldn't even spell leukaemia" at the outset of Jed's battle, which has brought five months of treatment at Auckland's Starship Hospital, regular visits to Tauranga Hospital and constant bouts of sickness.

When Jed heard about Make-A-Wish New Zealand, he knew exactly what he wanted.

"They told us it was very hard to meet celebrities and that we should be prepared for an alternative wish but Jed knew what he wanted. I was very proud of him," Mr Roberts said.

When his wish was granted three weeks out from the band's October 14 show at Vector Arena in Auckland, Jed said he was "nervous, excited ... and I couldn't really wait for the night".

Sickness almost caused him to cancel "but he said 'hold on, let's go as far as I can before I drop'," his father said.

He got to meet each of the band members in a backstage room and his favourite member - lead singer James Hetfield - stayed almost until show time.

"Lars [Ulrich], the drummer, said to Jed 'I know you might be too sick but how about coming to rehearsal for your own private concert?'," Mr Roberts said.

He had to pass up the offer but still went home with autographed guitar picks, drum sticks, DVDs, CDs, books, clothing - and an incredible story.

"They were absolutely fantastic ... I wasn't really a fan of their music but I'm hooked now," Mr Roberts said.

http://www.bayofplentytimes.co.nz/local/news/when-you-wish-upon-a-heavy-metal-star/3927959/

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #2536 on: November 09, 2010, 06:40:11 AM »

Well, it's Metallica week for me. Going to see them tomorrow night in Sydney, as well as Thursday night, and if I'm still keen after that, I might scour ebay for a ticket to the 3rd Metallica show on Saturday night.

They've been mixing up the sets and busting out some old rarely played tunes as well, so I'm looking forward to the different shows! beer

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #2537 on: November 11, 2010, 08:58:27 AM »

Well, I've survived two nights of Metallica concerts, the first I was in the second level seated section, and tonight I was down on the floor in the pit.
It was great to experience the concerts from two different areas, as well as the different set lists over the two nights.

The first night was the majority of newer songs, and a lot of Black album songs (they played 6 in total from that album!), and tonight was a bit more old school, playing the more popular ones from the 80's albums.

My neck is stuffed from headbanging, my voice is lost from singing along, my ears are ringing from the sheer volume of it all, and my eyes are blinded from the light show and explosions.
Should I go to the third Sydney on Saturday night as well...?

I think I just might... ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2538 on: November 13, 2010, 05:29:48 PM »

An interview with Lars Ulrich:

Lars talks about the possibility of a 'Glee' cameo, dodging pyrotechnics and starring in 'Get him to The Greek'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyqCEIv0Vxw

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2539 on: November 14, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »

Lips Sealed

Kirk Hammett from Metallica sent a kid into orbit during Metallica's Concert in Sydney on Thursday 11th November 2010.

(Watch the bottom right hand corner-kid in yellow)

Rumor has it that it was James Hetfield's child...at 00:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADwP2zsftIw

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 137 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: